gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:56:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2016  (Read 134968 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 18, 2016, 10:47:56 AM »

I doubt he would do it needlessly appease the few hundred "fans" who are bothered about.

Well, I don't think that of the people who would want him to do it (if indeed it was ever something he'd even in a million years even entertain the notion of doing), that they'd want him to do it for reasons pertaining to "appeasing" fans. I think that mostly, the people who wish he would to do it would only want him to do it out of him potentially thinking, that truly in his heart, it is an appropriate thing to do, to use a term that Carl seemed to think was important to use and abide by. I also think your few hundred figure is low.

Plus... I'm legitimately a fan of Mike Love's talents, and I put no quotation marks around my fandom. To insinuate that anybody who is a fan of the band and of Mike's contributions to the band, but who has a problem with the name being used, needs to have quotation marks put around their fandom is basically saying they have to agree with every choice that a given band member makes, and no vocal criticism is allowed, ever, or else they are not a "true" fan. Which is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 10:05:40 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 18, 2016, 10:48:25 AM »

Yeah, most of the people going to the concert think they are seeing The Beach Boys.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 18, 2016, 10:51:10 AM »

Yeah, most of the people going to the concert think they are seeing The Beach Boys.

My friend made this very mistake several years back, during the M&B era (pre C50) and came away from the experience thinking that the band was pretty lame, and also thought they'd seen Brian Wilson perform with the band. This was a person without knowledge of any politics, and with no axe to grind.

Casual fans (even pretty big fans of the music, but people ignorant of the details of the lineup changes) are often being sold something other than they think they are seeing. And I can't understand how that's cool. It's not.
KDS
« Reply #403 on: May 18, 2016, 10:56:02 AM »

I doubt he would do it needlessly appease the few hundred "fans" who are bothered about.

Well, I don't think most people who would want him to do it (if indeed it was ever something he'd even in a million years even entertain the notion of doing) for reasons pertaining to "appeasing" fans. I think that mostly, the people who wish he would to do it would only want him to do it out of him potentially thinking, that truly in his heart, it is an appropriate thing to do, to use a term that Carl seemed to think was important to use and abide by. I also think your few hundred figure is low.

Plus... I'm legitimately a fan of Mike Love's talents, and I put no quotation marks around my fandom. To insinuate that anybody who is a fan of the band and of Mike's contributions to the band, but who has a problem with the name being used, needs to have quotation marks put around their fandom is basically saying they have to agree with every choice that a given band member makes, and no vocal criticism is allowed, ever, or else they are not a "true" fan. Which is ridiculous.

I would put "fan" in quotations for any Beach Boys fan who wants to pretend that Mike's contributions to The Beach Boys were minimal. 

Criticize some of what the man says in print, his overly nasal delivery, the cheesy concert presentation and songs of the late 80s / early 90s, or the use of The Beach Boys banner.   I think one can do one or all of these things and still be a true fan. 

But to go back and say the Mike was somehow a lesser member of the group is not being a Beach Boys fan, it's that B-word that kinda sounds like those people who work at Starbucks. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 18, 2016, 10:59:48 AM »

Well, I don't think most people who would want him to do it (if indeed it was ever something he'd even in a million years even entertain the notion of doing) for reasons pertaining to "appeasing" fans. I think that mostly, the people who wish he would to do it would only want him to do it out of him potentially thinking, that truly in his heart, it is an appropriate thing to do, to use a term that Carl seemed to think was important to use and abide by. I also think your few hundred figure is low.

I would put "fan" in quotations for any Beach Boys fan who wants to pretend that Mike's contributions to The Beach Boys were minimal. 

Criticize some of what the man says in print, his overly nasal delivery, the cheesy concert presentation and songs of the late 80s / early 90s, or the use of The Beach Boys banner.   I think one can do one or all of these things and still be a true fan. 

But to go back and say the Mike was somehow a lesser member of the group is not being a Beach Boys fan, it's that B-word that kinda sounds like those people who work at Starbucks. 

Fair enough.
KDS
« Reply #405 on: May 18, 2016, 11:03:14 AM »

Fair enough.

Wasn't really directed at you, CD, just a general rant about some of the posts seen on this and other BB related boards. 

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 18, 2016, 03:16:15 PM »

+1

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
KDS
« Reply #407 on: May 19, 2016, 09:28:22 AM »

I'm noticing a lot of cover songs in the later part of the recent M&B shows.

Do You Wanna Dance
Rock and Roll Music
Then I Kissed Her
Barbara Ann
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 19, 2016, 09:41:00 AM »

Do You Wanna Dance
Rock and Roll Music
Then I Kissed Her
Barbara Ann
Well, they did have hits with 3 of them. You have a hit with it, then it becomes yours. Even on the radio, I rarely hear the Regents version of Barbara Ann. It is always the Beach Boys version that is played.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #409 on: May 19, 2016, 10:25:23 AM »

Do You Wanna Dance
Rock and Roll Music
Then I Kissed Her
Barbara Ann
Well, they did have hits with 3 of them. You have a hit with it, then it becomes yours. Even on the radio, I rarely hear the Regents version of Barbara Ann. It is always the Beach Boys version that is played.

I know these were all BB hits.  I was just a little surprised to see them kinda bunched together at the end. 

And I'm still trying to figure out how their studio version of Rock and Roll Music became a hit.  Maybe it was a well known song, buy a well known band.  Or their first new release since the massively popular Endless Summer. 

But, personally, I think the studio version of Rock and Roll Music is pretty lifeless.  And it sets the stage for a fairly mediocre album. 

Luckily, it actually has a lot more energy in concert, much like Barbara Ann. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 19, 2016, 11:29:24 AM »

Do You Wanna Dance
Rock and Roll Music
Then I Kissed Her
Barbara Ann

I know these were all BB hits.  I was just a little surprised to see them kinda bunched together at the end.  

And I'm still trying to figure out how their studio version of Rock and Roll Music became a hit.  Maybe it was a well known song, buy a well known band.  Or their first new release since the massively popular Endless Summer.  

But, personally, I think the studio version of Rock and Roll Music is pretty lifeless.  And it sets the stage for a fairly mediocre album.  

Luckily, it actually has a lot more energy in concert, much like Barbara Ann.  
Showing my age here, but it did come through punchier on AM radio. There is something to be said for the single car radio speaker.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 11:30:21 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 19, 2016, 11:36:15 AM »

<<But, personally, I think the studio version of Rock and Roll Music is pretty lifeless.>>

The single mix has some serious punch.  And I think the MIC 'faders up" mix ranks with the best of their rock & roll covers, second only to Do You Wanna Dance.
KDS
« Reply #412 on: May 19, 2016, 11:42:48 AM »

<<But, personally, I think the studio version of Rock and Roll Music is pretty lifeless.>>

The single mix has some serious punch.  And I think the MIC 'faders up" mix ranks with the best of their rock & roll covers, second only to Do You Wanna Dance.

I think the single mix is an improvement. 

But I'll still stick with Chuck Berry or The Beatles. 
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 19, 2016, 01:34:37 PM »

The live version is probably their best. It rocked during the C50 Tour.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
KDS
« Reply #414 on: May 19, 2016, 01:37:12 PM »

The live version is probably their best. It rocked during the C50 Tour.

Yeah, it really does spring to life in the living setting. 
ruskalupagus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 21, 2016, 06:15:14 AM »

I saw M&B last night and I have to say, it felt like they'd stepped up their game since the last time I saw them.

When I saw them last year it was pretty obvious they were playing with a lot of prerecorded tracks but yesterday, as far as I could tell, it was mostly, if not all, done live on stage.

The addition of the woodwind/brass player really helped fill the band out and they sounded great. Their set was focused more on mid to late 60's songs and they didn't dwell on the surf and car stuff for nearly as long as I'm used to. Mike didn't ramble too much and sounded good (except for his lead on Help Me Rhonda... I feel like Bruce or Jeff should take that one). Bruce was participating more, he took several leads, played some audible keyboard parts and talked to the audience. I was disappointed that their Pet Sounds portion of the show wasn't as exciting as I've seen them doing some other nights. They started it off by turning the stage lights out and playing the audio track to "Pet Sounds" (were we supposed to think they were playing it?) into Sloop John B, Wouldn't It Be Nice and then the Carl Wilson led God Only Knows.

It was nice seeing them end their main set with Good Vibrations, that song is so good and so powerful it always seemed odd they'd play anything after it, it's the perfect closer.

Overall good show, though I would have liked to see them do some more deep cuts. A few nights earlier they did Here Today, All This is That and Disney Girls '67... I was really hoping to hear those!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 21, 2016, 06:24:20 AM »

The single mix has some serious punch.  And I think the MIC 'faders up" mix ranks with the best of their rock & roll covers, second only to Do You Wanna Dance.

I'm not a particular fan of R&RM but I agree, it sounds better live imo.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 12:32:49 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: May 21, 2016, 12:08:14 PM »

I saw M&B last night and I have to say, it felt like they'd stepped up their game since the last time I saw them.

When I saw them last year it was pretty obvious they were playing with a lot of prerecorded tracks but yesterday, as far as I could tell, it was mostly, if not all, done live on stage.

The addition of the woodwind/brass player really helped fill the band out and they sounded great. Their set was focused more on mid to late 60's songs and they didn't dwell on the surf and car stuff for nearly as long as I'm used to. Mike didn't ramble too much and sounded good (except for his lead on Help Me Rhonda... I feel like Bruce or Jeff should take that one). Bruce was participating more, he took several leads, played some audible keyboard parts and talked to the audience. I was disappointed that their Pet Sounds portion of the show wasn't as exciting as I've seen them doing some other nights. They started it off by turning the stage lights out and playing the audio track to "Pet Sounds" (were we supposed to think they were playing it?) into Sloop John B, Wouldn't It Be Nice and then the Carl Wilson led God Only Knows.

It was nice seeing them end their main set with Good Vibrations, that song is so good and so powerful it always seemed odd they'd play anything after it, it's the perfect closer.

Overall good show, though I would have liked to see them do some more deep cuts. A few nights earlier they did Here Today, All This is That and Disney Girls '67... I was really hoping to hear those!

I'm not sure what made you think they were playing with prerecorded tracks last year, but other than Carl's and Dennis' vocals on the tributes, and maybe the opening note on Sloop John B, everything is performed live.
ruskalupagus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 21, 2016, 12:47:27 PM »

I'm not sure what made you think they were playing with prerecorded tracks last year, but other than Carl's and Dennis' vocals on the tributes, and maybe the opening note on Sloop John B, everything is performed live.

I guess I could be wrong but there were parts during some Pet Sounds tracks where there was audibly keyboard and strings/horns and Bruce wasn't playing anything and there was only one other keyboard player so I couldnt figure out where else it was coming from. It didn't sound like one of those guitar synth pedals I've used those before and they don't sound that good.  Also during Good Vibrations I couldn't figure out where the tannerin sound was coming from as both keyboard players appeared to be playing chords.

I'm not trying to disparage them if they did, some of those songs have complicated arrangements and can't easily be pulled off by a 7 or 8 piece band.
lastofmykind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 21, 2016, 02:55:57 PM »

Timmy def plays the theremin part on his korg triton pro.  i looked at some youtube video just double check.  Look at his right hand at the 1:15 mark of the video. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMXwiJfTF9o
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: May 22, 2016, 05:11:56 AM »

Interesting that Mike is still singing the lead on Rhonda.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 22, 2016, 05:41:02 AM »

I always sort of felt that Mike was kind of ticked that he didn't sing the lead on Rhonda....one of the real audience participation numbers. Maybe even moreso during the 50th reunion, when Al brought the house down with it every night.
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 22, 2016, 05:57:31 AM »

Who was singing the lead on 'Rhonda' in the Mike and Bruce show before? 
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 22, 2016, 07:54:54 AM »

I always sort of felt that Mike was kind of ticked that he didn't sing the lead on Rhonda....one of the real audience participation numbers. Maybe even moreso during the 50th reunion, when Al brought the house down with it every night.

So ticked that Mike waited 32 years and then an additional 15 years plus another additional 4 more years to get his revenge.  Wink

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: May 22, 2016, 08:16:06 AM »

Who was singing the lead on 'Rhonda' in the Mike and Bruce show before? 

Phil Bardowell from 1998-2000, John Cowsill from 2000-2015.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx