gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 10:38:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2016  (Read 135148 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: May 02, 2016, 09:18:24 AM »

Also noticed the infamous "Noven Jaisi" got namechecked on Mike's FB page as having created an intro video for Mike's show. So those who were incredulous as to whether the guy was "official" or not, there's your answer.

I'm finding Mike's most recent posts, and posts like it, kind of odd. I *think* he's just trying to be very enthusiastic and effusive about whatever he does. But for a guy that has been touring for 55 years, playing every type of venue imaginable, he seems oddly stunned and fascinated by the idea of playing a "performing arts" sort of venue in Nevada.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:22:04 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 02, 2016, 11:49:55 AM »

I hear they're doing double billed shows with The Temptations in the States this summer. 

Unfortunately, this likely means shorter greatest hits only sets. 

FOUR hours stuck in traffic ? Wow, how far from the venue were you ?
The Kennedy Center is just the Beach Boys with the NSO.

I might consider that show if I were in town that week.  I saw it posted in the BW Forum. 

But, I also put out some money for the Guns N Roses C29 tour at Fed Ex Field. 

Yikes...trying your luck with them, eh?

Much like 2012 when I knew I had my only shot to see Mike and Brian on the same stage, I know this is my only chance to see Axl and Slash on the same stage. 

Granted, I'm in the nosebleeds (no way was I going to pay $250 for 3/5 of GNR), but I'll be there.  And I took the next day off from work in case Axl decides to not start on time. 

Plus, it takes about a day and a half to get out of the Fed Ex Field parking lot.

That last bit I know with great certainty! Paul McCartney 2009!  LOL

I was at that McCartney show in 2009.  Was stuck in traffic for four hours trying to get to the show.  Luckily, Paul went on late, so we only missed the first couple songs. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 02, 2016, 12:36:49 PM »

Mike also said in his post they'd be adding more Pet Sounds songs soon too.

From Randy's page..

IN 2016, SEE RANDY ON TOUR WITH ROCK MUSIC LEGENDS THE BEACH BOYS,
PERFORMING ON A VARIETY OF SAXES, WOODWINDS AND HARMONICAS!

...which does fit
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 02, 2016, 01:12:29 PM »

Mike also said in his post they'd be adding more Pet Sounds songs soon too.

From Randy's page..

IN 2016, SEE RANDY ON TOUR WITH ROCK MUSIC LEGENDS THE BEACH BOYS,
PERFORMING ON A VARIETY OF SAXES, WOODWINDS AND HARMONICAS!

...which does fit

Well there you have it! I wonder how much of a difference this will make when I see them in July since they'll have the entire National Symphony Orchestra with them anyway!  LOL
Lean Back Now Listen
Smiley Smile Associate

To Wind Chimes.

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 03, 2016, 10:58:36 AM »

I just purchased five lawn seats for their August 21st performance in Detroit for ***$6 apiece*** (although with fees upon fees, they came out to $17 apiece). I'll be loading up my car (sadly not a woodie) with friends and taking an hour and a half road trip to see them! If anyone else is in the Michigan area and happens to be bummed that the Meijer Gardens venue is sold out, $6 tickets on Ticketmaster are the ultimate steal! I would assume other ticket sites have quality deals as well, so I'm not trying to promote Ticketmaster; they just happened to be the site I purchased from.
KDS
« Reply #180 on: May 03, 2016, 11:14:16 AM »

I just purchased five lawn seats for their August 21st performance in Detroit for ***$6 apiece*** (although with fees upon fees, they came out to $17 apiece). I'll be loading up my car (sadly not a woodie) with friends and taking an hour and a half road trip to see them! If anyone else is in the Michigan area and happens to be bummed that the Meijer Gardens venue is sold out, $6 tickets on Ticketmaster are the ultimate steal! I would assume other ticket sites have quality deals as well, so I'm not trying to promote Ticketmaster; they just happened to be the site I purchased from.

Wow, that's super cheap.  Enjoy the show. 

Is this just The Beach Boys, or is this part of their tour with The Temptations?
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 04, 2016, 09:19:08 AM »

Also noticed the infamous "Noven Jaisi" got namechecked on Mike's FB page as having created an intro video for Mike's show. So those who were incredulous as to whether the guy was "official" or not, there's your answer.

I'm finding Mike's most recent posts, and posts like it, kind of odd. I *think* he's just trying to be very enthusiastic and effusive about whatever he does. But for a guy that has been touring for 55 years, playing every type of venue imaginable, he seems oddly stunned and fascinated by the idea of playing a "performing arts" sort of venue in Nevada.

H'mm. That's interesting. And yet AGD wrote this:

“My understanding is that Mike commissioned this from Mr. Jaisi, knowing full well that a wrath of Biblical dimension would instantly descend from the heavens (or this forum - which is much the same thing, of course: are we not Olympian deities, omniscient and omnipotent ?), allowing him to delete the post from his page, thus disassociating himself from it while simultaneously engaging in a complex double bluff and getting his message out there, knowing that all rational fans will realise that, as well executed as the video is, it's not officially sanctioned. Except that it is, of course.

“That's what I would say, were I an extremely gullible conspiracy theorist with a handy Thesaurus. Thankfully, I'm not. It's a very well executed fan video that subtly implies it's official product when it isn't. I'm guessing it was deleted from Mike's page for that very reason, and because it's Copyright Infringement Central as regards the various clips. For those pointing out, reasonably enough, that the BW one is still up, that's clearly labelled as a parody.”

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22972.50.html

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 04, 2016, 09:47:21 AM »

When Mike feels competition or pressure from Brian, he always goes all out to do something extra for his shows.  His recent posts show him pushing hard. The fans benefit the most from it!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 04, 2016, 11:56:32 AM »

“My understanding is that Mike commissioned this from Mr. Jaisi, knowing full well that a wrath of Biblical dimension would instantly descend from the heavens (or this forum - which is much the same thing, of course: are we not Olympian deities, omniscient and omnipotent ?), allowing him to delete the post from his page, thus disassociating himself from it while simultaneously engaging in a complex double bluff and getting his message out there, knowing that all rational fans will realise that, as well executed as the video is, it's not officially sanctioned. Except that it is, of course.

“That's what I would say, were I an extremely gullible conspiracy theorist with a handy Thesaurus. Thankfully, I'm not. It's a very well executed fan video that subtly implies it's official product when it isn't. I'm guessing it was deleted from Mike's page for that very reason, and because it's Copyright Infringement Central as regards the various clips. For those pointing out, reasonably enough, that the BW one is still up, that's clearly labelled as a parody.”

And if you look at Noven Jaisi's upload history on youtube, it very much seems to point to all of this being official: The Christmas single music video, documentary 'trailers' (and Mike has talked about an upcoming documentary), and now a concert intro video. Those who said the trailer looked official last year were lambasted to hell for it....extremely gullible conspiracy theorists with a handy Thesaurus? Sad that some get childishly labeled for pointing out what seems to be the bleedin' obvious.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 04, 2016, 12:06:32 PM »

And if you look at Noven Jaisi's upload history on youtube, it very much seems to point to all of this being official: The Christmas single music video, documentary 'trailers' (and Mike has talked about an upcoming documentary), and now a concert intro video. Those who said the trailer looked official last year were lambasted to hell for it....extremely gullible conspiracy theorists with a handy Thesaurus? Sad that some get childishly labeled for pointing out what seems to be the bleedin' obvious.

I just re-read that thread from page 1 through to the end.  It does beg the question, "who was gullible in this instance - the people being ridiculed, or the gang providing the ridicule?"
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 04, 2016, 12:19:43 PM »

I was right after all of that ridicule !!!! Grin
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 12:20:31 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #186 on: May 04, 2016, 01:02:03 PM »

I noticed California Girls seems to have moved up a bit in the setlist.  Right next to Disney Girls.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 04, 2016, 03:16:49 PM »

Do we know the video discussed in 2015 is the same video discussed in 2016?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 04, 2016, 04:07:09 PM »

Do we know the video discussed in 2015 is the same video discussed in 2016?

The other videos Jaisi produced for Mike were professional videos, but that particular one was a "fan" video, with all of that amazing insider footage of C50.  Uh-huh.  You never disappoint.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: May 04, 2016, 04:12:30 PM »

I doubt anybody knows if it's the same video, but I don't think that's the point anyone is making here. They've apparently just started using the video at shows, and for whatever reason relatively few people attend Mike/Bruce shows and post reviews here (I appreciate those who do), so it's hard to know.

In response to those however many months back who simply wondered what the deal was with Jaisi, there were a few folks who completely dismissed the entire thing as being a random fan and who scoffed at the idea that there was any "official" connection. Indeed, Ang Jones posted a couple of old comments that seemed to mock those who felt it was possible Jaisi had some sort of official or semi-official connection.

Obviously, it's entirely possible Jaisi was completely unknown to Mike at that point and only subsequently was contracted to make (or offered for free, or whatever their arrangement is) this tour intro video. I would tend to doubt that; I'd guess it's been an ongoing thing going back to when those videos popped up on YouTube. And again, it doesn't really matter anymore.

My best guess is the guy was a fan making whatever videos, and either sent his stuff to Mike, or Mike somehow learned of it, and subsequently Jaisi got a gig to do some stuff (for all we know for free) for Mike. Not a big deal. I don't think anybody really is beefing with anything to do with Mike, but rather the incredulity in the past from a few fans regarding even the *possibility* that Jaisi could have any official connection to Mike's tour.

As it is, I think the main potential beef with Jaisi's first montage video, ultimately I'm assuming unfounded, was that it appeared to be an *advertisement* sort of situation, in which case the C50 footage would be misleading. But if that video, or something like it, is being used at actual shows, then I don't think it's nearly as big of an issue. Mike uses other archival footage of the group (supposedly/apparently including Brian and Al after initially being asked in 2013 to remove Brian/Al imagery).

Make no mistake, I think Mike using archival footage or pics of members not on stage, certainly *living* members (and, for that matter, allowing vocals of deceased members to be heard on stage but not other living members), is kind of weird and in the context of where the entire group membership is at, kind of tacky and distasteful. But once people know who's on stage, they can play Sanford & Sons reruns in the back for all anyone cares and it's no longer an issue of misleading advertising.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 04, 2016, 04:25:02 PM »

I doubt anybody knows if it's the same video, but I don't think that's the point anyone is making here. They've apparently just started using the video at shows, and for whatever reason relatively few people attend Mike/Bruce shows and post reviews here (I appreciate those who do), so it's hard to know.

In response to those however many months back who simply wondered what the deal was with Jaisi, there were a few folks who completely dismissed the entire thing as being a random fan and who scoffed at the idea that there was any "official" connection. Indeed, Ang Jones posted a couple of old comments that seemed to mock those who felt it was possible Jaisi had some sort of official or semi-official connection.

Obviously, it's entirely possible Jaisi was completely unknown to Mike at that point and only subsequently was contracted to make (or offered for free, or whatever their arrangement is) this tour intro video. I would tend to doubt that; I'd guess it's been an ongoing thing going back to when those videos popped up on YouTube. And again, it doesn't really matter anymore.

My best guess is the guy was a fan making whatever videos, and either sent his stuff to Mike, or Mike somehow learned of it, and subsequently Jaisi got a gig to do some stuff (for all we know for free) for Mike. Not a big deal. I don't think anybody really is beefing with anything to do with Mike, but rather the incredulity in the past from a few fans regarding even the *possibility* that Jaisi could have any official connection to Mike's tour.

As it is, I think the main potential beef with Jaisi's first montage video, ultimately I'm assuming unfounded, was that it appeared to be an *advertisement* sort of situation, in which case the C50 footage would be misleading. But if that video, or something like it, is being used at actual shows, then I don't think it's nearly as big of an issue. Mike uses other archival footage of the group (supposedly/apparently including Brian and Al after initially being asked in 2013 to remove Brian/Al imagery).

Make no mistake, I think Mike using archival footage or pics of members not on stage, certainly *living* members (and, for that matter, allowing vocals of deceased members to be heard on stage but not other living members), is kind of weird and in the context of where the entire group membership is at, kind of tacky and distasteful. But once people know who's on stage, they can play Sanford & Sons reruns in the back for all anyone cares and it's no longer an issue of misleading advertising.

I'm still curious where the professional C50 footage came from in the "fan" video.  Does anyone know?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: May 04, 2016, 04:35:40 PM »

I'm not particularly enthusiastic about going back to those videos again or the resulting discussions, but my recollection is that the C50 footage seemed to be pulled mostly from common sources (wasn't some if it just from the C50 "Live in Concert" Blu-ray?), but there was post-C50 Mike/Bruce footage that was not commonly available. *That* was the stuff that seemed like Jaisi had a "source" other than simply ripping other YouTube videos or home video releases.

I think some folks did some sleuthing about where some of the footage came from, but I remember thinking there was some Mike/Bruce footage that looked "pro", and obviously there's very limited pro-shot Mike/Bruce footage out there outside of TV performances.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 04:36:09 PM by HeyJude » Logged

You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 04, 2016, 04:44:43 PM »

Bit of a dumb question, but for those of you have attended a M&B show, how would you rate it out of 10?

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 04, 2016, 04:51:47 PM »

three out of ten. BW band blows them out of the water.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 04, 2016, 04:56:05 PM »

Surprised you didn't give them a 0!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 04, 2016, 04:59:43 PM »

I'm not particularly enthusiastic about going back to those videos again or the resulting discussions, but my recollection is that the C50 footage seemed to be pulled mostly from common sources (wasn't some if it just from the C50 "Live in Concert" Blu-ray?), but there was post-C50 Mike/Bruce footage that was not commonly available. *That* was the stuff that seemed like Jaisi had a "source" other than simply ripping other YouTube videos or home video releases.

I think some folks did some sleuthing about where some of the footage came from, but I remember thinking there was some Mike/Bruce footage that looked "pro", and obviously there's very limited pro-shot Mike/Bruce footage out there outside of TV performances.

I think you pretty much nailed it in this and your earlier post. Most of the footage used is from widely available sources and I think that was the reason for most questioning if he is "official". Also, as "professional" as the videos looked, it was essentially something that someone with a Macbook and some time on their hands could produce. I tend to remember someone claimed the M&B footage as their own, but can't place it now. My *guess* is it started as a fan messing around with available footage that Mike liked and subsequently has used. My suspicions of the "documentary" stem from the relatively amateur nature of the original clips. I did try sending Noven a private message via facebook asking what connection he had to the touring Beach Boys, but never got a response.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 04, 2016, 05:01:15 PM »

Surprised you didn't give them a 0!
Trying to be generous ! Wink

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 04, 2016, 05:10:16 PM »

Noven said back in '15 that the sources for that '15 video (which we don't yet know if it is the same as the video mentioned recently) were all from his private collection.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 04, 2016, 06:14:53 PM »

Noven said back in '15 that the sources for that '15 video (which we don't yet know if it is the same as the video mentioned recently) were all from his private collection.

Whichever way you wanna slice it, it seems fair to surmise that Mike - in all likelihood - doesn't have any particular problem on a personal level using whatever BB era footage possible, if it were to benefit the M&B show. Whether that be by giving a stamp of approval (maybe not in a legal, cleared-by-lawyers sense) to footage like this. I think if it were up to him, and there were no legal roadblocks in the way, he'd use any and all C50 and other footage at his disposal if he could.

Doesn't mean Mike would just use that type of footage exclusively, but I don't think he'd be all "that probably isn't ethically right or particularly accurate to use footage of Brian playing with us from a few years ago, when contrary to Brian's wishes, Brian's not in the band anymore".

Whatever limitations that Mike does with the name are imposed limitations. I don't think he would have any problem whatsoever in doing absolutely anything that could possibly benefit his version of the band, regardless of accuracy, if left to his own devices. IMHO.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 04, 2016, 06:41:20 PM »

Bit of a dumb question, but for those of you have attended a M&B show, how would you rate it out of 10?

The show I went to was a solid 7 I'd say.  The set list was shorter due them playing with the Temptations, but was an excellent show otherwise.  I imagine the indoor shows are even better.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx