gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:44:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2016  (Read 134311 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 12, 2016, 06:31:45 AM »

I hear they're doing double billed shows with The Temptations in the States this summer. 

Unfortunately, this likely means shorter greatest hits only sets. 

The Kennedy Center is just the Beach Boys with the NSO.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 12, 2016, 06:33:13 AM »

After checking their itinerary, the Temptations are playing their own show at The Paramount Theatre in Charlottesville, VA that night.
KDS
« Reply #152 on: April 12, 2016, 07:19:31 AM »

I hear they're doing double billed shows with The Temptations in the States this summer. 

I might consider that show if I were in town that week.  I saw it posted in the BW Forum. 

But, I also put out some money for the Guns N Roses C29 tour at Fed Ex Field. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 12, 2016, 08:06:19 PM »

I might consider that show if I were in town that week.  I saw it posted in the BW Forum. 

Yikes...trying your luck with them, eh?
KDS
« Reply #154 on: April 13, 2016, 05:23:55 AM »

Much like 2012 when I knew I had my only shot to see Mike and Brian on the same stage, I know this is my only chance to see Axl and Slash on the same stage. 

Granted, I'm in the nosebleeds (no way was I going to pay $250 for 3/5 of GNR), but I'll be there.  And I took the next day off from work in case Axl decides to not start on time. 

Plus, it takes about a day and a half to get out of the Fed Ex Field parking lot.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 13, 2016, 05:41:17 AM »

Much like 2012 when I knew I had my only shot to see Mike and Brian on the same stage, I know this is my only chance to see Axl and Slash on the same stage. 

Granted, I'm in the nosebleeds (no way was I going to pay $250 for 3/5 of GNR), but I'll be there.  And I took the next day off from work in case Axl decides to not start on time. 

Plus, it takes about a day and a half to get out of the Fed Ex Field parking lot.

That last bit I know with great certainty! Paul McCartney 2009!  LOL
KDS
« Reply #156 on: April 13, 2016, 06:23:54 AM »

I was at that McCartney show in 2009.  Was stuck in traffic for four hours trying to get to the show.  Luckily, Paul went on late, so we only missed the first couple songs. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 13, 2016, 06:47:24 AM »

I was at that McCartney show in 2009.  Was stuck in traffic for four hours trying to get to the show.  Luckily, Paul went on late, so we only missed the first couple songs. 

We dodged all that going down to the next exit and working back up!
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 13, 2016, 07:26:20 PM »

If the reunited GNR manage to play as many shows as the BB's did in 2012, I'll be amazed!   LOL
KDS
« Reply #159 on: April 14, 2016, 05:22:24 AM »

If the reunited GNR manage to play as many shows as the BB's did in 2012, I'll be amazed!   LOL

I doubt they will, but you never know.  Money talks.  The members of Motley Crue hated each other, but they managed to tour consistently for a decade. 

I do think that the GNR thing will have a very similar ending to the Beach Boys C50.  Whenever the obligations of the current "Not in This Lifetime Tour" ends, Axl will find a new guitarist.  Slash will go back to being a solo artist.  Duff will go back to his various projects.  And GNR will go on as Axl and Co. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 29, 2016, 04:51:56 PM »

New addition this year playing Sax.

http://www.randyleagowinds.com/

http://www.thespectrum.com/story/entertainment/music/backbeat/2016/04/29/beach-boys-still-fun-fun-fun-rain/83708220/
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 29, 2016, 06:05:32 PM »

Wow, I would say that is pretty big news. When is the last time the touring acting (aside from C50) carried a sax player? I always thought this was a glaring hole in the bands lineup.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2016, 08:16:59 PM »

Actually, it hasn't been too uncommon for the touring band to bring along a wind player for sporadic dates. The reviewer didn't seem to be very clear on their band member history, so I'm going to assume this isn't a permanent fixture for the band.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 30, 2016, 06:13:21 AM »

Actually, it hasn't been too uncommon for the touring band to bring along a wind player for sporadic dates. The reviewer didn't seem to be very clear on their band member history, so I'm going to assume this isn't a permanent fixture for the band.

That is true.  They have had a horn/sax/woodwind player during certain tour runs for the last several years, and had a different guy for a February run in the NY/NJ area. It isn't entirely new.   
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 30, 2016, 06:18:41 AM »

Let's see how long he lasts until he cuts into Mike's bottom line. Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 30, 2016, 07:30:52 AM »

Let's see how long he lasts until he cuts into Mike's bottom line. Evil

The guy looks as though he has a pretty steady and impressive clientele he works for, and may not be exclusive to the Touring Band. His website in the link shows photos of some of them.  Wink
Bhw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 30, 2016, 04:51:36 PM »

Andrew Clark has been the sax player the last two summers in some of  Northeast portions of the tours
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 30, 2016, 06:36:41 PM »

Thanks for the info! When is the last time they had sax as a permanent fixture in the touring band? Richie Cannata?
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: May 01, 2016, 09:16:50 AM »

Thanks for the info! When is the last time they had sax as a permanent fixture in the touring band? Richie Cannata?

Going by memory, Richie's last show was the infamous Mahwah NJ show in 1998. This was the first show after Mike got the license for the Beach Boys name.

Joel Peskin appeared on and off over the years after that. (Going by memory). I get the impression that Randy is going to be a regular band member. Mike mentioned him on his Facebook page, saying it was his first show, and that there was a lot of positive feedback.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 09:26:15 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: May 02, 2016, 07:39:25 AM »

I recall that Joel Peskin traveled with the touring band at least a little bit on and off in the first few post-1998 years. I believe he was with the band during one of their "Today" show appearances circa 2000 or 2001.

It struck me as weird back then, and I always suspected Mike just really wanted that "Kokomo" sax solo, because few of the songs, especially in the setlists Mike was doing in the 1998-2001 timeframe, required sax. That and "California Dreamin'" were the two of very few full-on extended "sax solo" pieces as I recall, and I guess "Shut Down" if we want to include that one.

As awesome as Richie Cannata is/was, I've never felt the touring band needed a full-time sax player. What ends up happening is you sometimes get "rhythm sax" on songs that don't need it and sound worse for it. It's like once a band foots the bill for a sax player, they feel like they have to use the player and not just have them stand there doing nothing for 75% of the show.

Al used Richie Cannata on a few other things in "Family & Friends", like a pretty impressive solo during "Lookin' at Tomorrow."

But I've never liked extra "rhythm sax"; it's one of the few things I haven't liked about Paul Mertens in Brian's band. Fortunately, Mertens works in some other woodwind stuff, so he's still a key player. But I've never liked the "bass sax" on something like "This Whole World."
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 07:41:17 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 02, 2016, 08:21:10 AM »

So.... did they do Summer In Paradise last night? I noticed "PARADISE" was in the setlist that Mike posted.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 02, 2016, 08:53:19 AM »

Looks like they changed the set around a bit. Surfin' U.S.A. is in the opening songs now, Little Honda is with the car songs too. Mike also said in his post they'd be adding more Pet Sounds songs soon too.
KDS
« Reply #172 on: May 02, 2016, 09:08:27 AM »

I see that Surf City is back too.  And Goin to the Beach was dropped. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2016, 09:14:32 AM »

So.... did they do Summer In Paradise last night? I noticed "PARADISE" was in the setlist that Mike posted.

I'm pretty sure it would be "Summer in Paradise." The "California Dreamin'/Summer in Paradise" pairing has been used going back to the 90s, with one song leading right into the other.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #174 on: May 02, 2016, 09:16:14 AM »

I'm pretty sure it would be "Summer in Paradise." The "California Dreamin'/Summer in Paradise" pairing has been used going back to the 90s, with one song leading right into the other.

I guess it makes sense since they both featured Roger McGuinn (the UK SIP anyway). 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx