gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:55:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: All This is That/Cool Cool Water/Let The Wind Blow/Had To Phone Ya  (Read 6238 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2015, 02:37:53 AM »

I agree that these aren't necessarily "dirges" but man, "Steamboat" to me is the very definition of a dirge.  It just frickin' crawls.  Everybody has one song where they can't understand the love others have for it, "Steamboat" is it for me.

Gonna be an interesting tape!  Sounds like a good theme.  I'm not quite locked into the idea enough to offer a good suggestion though.

Steamboat was the slowest grower for me in the entire released BB catalog. I first heard it maybe around 1994 or so, didn't understand it. I think it finally clicked for me around 2011 or so. Now I love it.

Steamboat's incredible. Evocative, dreamy, trance-like, industrial… give me another 20 like it!

“We live in divisive times.”
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2015, 11:23:01 AM »

I agree that these aren't necessarily "dirges" but man, "Steamboat" to me is the very definition of a dirge.  It just frickin' crawls.  Everybody has one song where they can't understand the love others have for it, "Steamboat" is it for me.

Gonna be an interesting tape!  Sounds like a good theme.  I'm not quite locked into the idea enough to offer a good suggestion though.

Steamboat was the slowest grower for me in the entire released BB catalog. I first heard it maybe around 1994 or so, didn't understand it. I think it finally clicked for me around 2011 or so. Now I love it.

Steamboat's incredible. Evocative, dreamy, trance-like, industrial… give me another 20 like it!
+1

If a factory would dream, this is what it would sound like.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2015, 08:26:59 AM »

Many tracks on Pacific Ocean Blue are dirge-like.
KDS
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2015, 11:29:07 AM »

+1

If a factory would dream, this is what it would sound like.

There are elements of Morning Christmas that remind me of Steamboat. 
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2015, 01:23:48 PM »

IS there a better word than "dirge" we could adopt here?  Shocked

“We live in divisive times.”
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2015, 01:50:12 PM »

IS there a better word than "dirge" we could adopt here?  Shocked

It has nothing to do with mood, as the great variety of examples demonstrates.

Something along the lines of "medium pacer" perhaps?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2015, 09:35:21 PM »

It's too easy, but I've always heard "Til I Die" as a dirge.  It's just morbid, downright pitiful
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2015, 09:49:41 PM »

I think I wouldn't like it if anyone other than Carl sang it. Best singer in the world!
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2015, 03:53:51 AM »

Where Is She
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2015, 04:07:59 AM »

It's too easy, but I've always heard "Til I Die" as a dirge.  It's just morbid, downright pitiful

I see it more as a kind of musical equivalent of a painting by Caspar David Friedrich--
--the spectator (in this case Brian) humbled by the immensity of nature.

This is just one example by that artist:

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2015, 04:14:23 AM »

Many tracks on Pacific Ocean Blue are dirge-like.

There's a fine line that separates dirge like from stately.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2015, 05:14:25 AM »

As I see it, a dirge is an extreme expression of mourning and grief (and always in a minor key).

Or else it's a derogatory term for a piece that plods on interminably.

I can't see either description fitting anything by the Boys together or individually...   

MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2015, 08:02:55 AM »

I think I wouldn't like it if anyone other than Carl sang it. Best singer in the world!

Steamboat blew my mind upon first listen. It seems decades ahead of its time. The percussion, the wacky slide guitar solo, and the "don't worry Mr. Fulton" backgrounds just create such a fantastic atmosphere. Love the chord changes.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2015, 10:01:02 AM »

I agree that these aren't necessarily "dirges" but man, "Steamboat" to me is the very definition of a dirge.  It just frickin' crawls.  Everybody has one song where they can't understand the love others have for it, "Steamboat" is it for me.

Gonna be an interesting tape!  Sounds like a good theme.  I'm not quite locked into the idea enough to offer a good suggestion though.

Steamboat blew my mind upon first listen. It seems decades ahead of its time. The percussion, the wacky slide guitar solo, and the "don't worry Mr. Fulton" backgrounds just create such a fantastic atmosphere. Love the chord changes.

Steamboat is the real unnoticed gem on Holland. Seems Dennis was the only one to take their relocation there as an influence in his writing. Great tune, the production is stellar and the lyrics cryptic yet emotionally evocative. Great song on a great album!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:01:55 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx