gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:24:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All This is That/Cool Cool Water/Let The Wind Blow/Had To Phone Ya  (Read 6241 times)
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2015, 11:27:08 AM »

I want to make a ultimate BBs DIRGE MIXTAPE. What other songs are in this style?
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 11:30:48 AM »

Our Team.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 11:40:04 AM »

I must be missing something... 'dirge' as in funereal music?
SBonilla
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 11:41:35 AM »

I want to make a ultimate BBs DIRGE MIXTAPE. What other songs are in this style?
Dirge is not a style. It is a mood. And, it can indicate tempo in music.

The titles listed above are not 'dirges.'
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 11:44:19 AM »

blah blah blah. any other tracks in this style? thanks for the suggestion of our team!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 11:48:28 AM »

blah blah blah. any other tracks in this style? thanks for the suggestion of our team!
OK... I was honestly wondering what you meant.
SBonilla
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 11:50:02 AM »

How about the unreleased "Funeral March For Chaki?"
KDS
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 12:07:27 PM »

Steamboat
Summer's Gone
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 12:08:04 PM »

Sounds good, but I'm not sure about "Had To Phone Ya' in there, unless you're using the Spring version. Anyway, I would add "Can't Wait Too Long", "Til I Die", "A Day In The Life Of A Tree", and maybe "Baby Blue".
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 12:39:07 PM »

This is the only possible candidate. I fail to hear anything even vaguely dirge-like in any of the others. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2015, 01:08:53 PM »

This is the only possible candidate. I fail to hear anything even vaguely dirge-like in any of the others. 

No, but it's very clear what the OP is asking for -- more songs that are at the slow end of mid-tempo, keyboard led, soft, repetitive, with quite a straight rather than swung rhythm.
Some that fit all or most of those criteria: Sail Plane Song, Til I Die, Baby Blue, Surf's Up, All I Wanna Do, Child Is Father of the Man, Steamboat.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 01:12:25 PM »

thank you everyone! sorry i used "dirge" wrong!
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 01:45:34 PM »

Battle hymn of the Republic.
KDS
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 01:51:09 PM »

Here's a couple maybes:

Hold On Dear Brother

Country Air

Looking at Tomorrow

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2015, 02:12:11 PM »

No, but it's very clear what the OP is asking for -- more songs that are at the slow end of mid-tempo, keyboard led, soft, repetitive, with quite a straight rather than swung rhythm.

Bit slow on the uptake here. Anyway...

Some or all of the following:

At My Window
Solar System
Feel Flows
Don't Talk
Forever
Leaving This Town
Our Sweet Love

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 02:16:52 PM »

practically none of the aforementioned titles qualifies as a 'dirge', so to speak, though LEAVING THIS TOWN comes somewhat close

but one not yet broached certainly does

BE STILL
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 02:39:49 PM »

practically none of the aforementioned titles qualifies as a 'dirge', so to speak, though LEAVING THIS TOWN comes somewhat close

but one not yet broached certainly does

BE STILL

I can understand where you're coming from, but l'd prefer to call it a hymn. "Be Still" is if anything uplifting, a dirge is not...

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 02:50:24 PM »

Some that fit all or most of those criteria: Sail Plane Song, Til I Die, Baby Blue, Surf's Up, All I Wanna Do, Child Is Father of the Man, Steamboat.
Thanks for clarifying. It honestly wasn't clear to me. The similarity between the first two in the title was obvious to me, but not the latter two. I actually looked up 'dirge' before my first post to see if it had a meaning beyond my understanding. I meant no sarcasm.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2015, 09:59:46 AM »

BE STILL is a kind of hymn I suppose, but a particularly 'uplifting' one definitely it is not, and I am easily uplifted.  It has all the solemn plodding tone typical of a dirge IMO.  Most of the other song titles mentioned as possible dirge candidates are rife with uplifting qualities
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 10:31:39 AM »

I think you summed up the general idea nicely.

To the original post, I'd say though that "Had to Phone Ya" still doesn't fit the description especially.

Perhaps the song just has the illusion of being slightly peppy and upbeat, but I wouldn’t call it a “dirge” even if I were inclined to call things like “All This is That” or “Let the Wind Blow” dirges.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2015, 11:28:06 AM »

Carry Me Home.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 12:15:35 PM »

I agree that these aren't necessarily "dirges" but man, "Steamboat" to me is the very definition of a dirge.  It just frickin' crawls.  Everybody has one song where they can't understand the love others have for it, "Steamboat" is it for me.

Gonna be an interesting tape!  Sounds like a good theme.  I'm not quite locked into the idea enough to offer a good suggestion though.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 01:30:16 PM »

Mid tempo shuffles anchored by quarter note keyboard chord clusters?

Hmmm.

Off the top of my head....

Our Sweet Love?
Let Him Run Wild?
Aren't You Glad (too fast?)
I Wanna Pick You Up?

Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 03:52:41 PM »

Mid tempo shuffles anchored by quarter note keyboard chord clusters?

Hmmm.

Off the top of my head....

Our Sweet Love?
Let Him Run Wild?
Aren't You Glad (too fast?)
I Wanna Pick You Up?

Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?

Hereinafter "MTSABQNKCC"!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2015, 02:23:36 AM »

I agree that these aren't necessarily "dirges" but man, "Steamboat" to me is the very definition of a dirge.  It just frickin' crawls.  Everybody has one song where they can't understand the love others have for it, "Steamboat" is it for me.

Gonna be an interesting tape!  Sounds like a good theme.  I'm not quite locked into the idea enough to offer a good suggestion though.

Steamboat was the slowest grower for me in the entire released BB catalog. I first heard it maybe around 1994 or so, didn't understand it. I think it finally clicked for me around 2011 or so. Now I love it.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx