gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:35:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good News question  (Read 3428 times)
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2015, 03:00:10 PM »

A song by this title popped up with some others recorded around 1960.

Any chance this same song (by the Kingston Trio originally) has anything at all to do with the Smiley Smile outtake of the same title?

We know Al is a huge Kingston Trio fan.

Also, who is the female voice on that 1960ish recording? Any ideas?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 04:14:00 PM »

Female voice is "Amy"... and that's all I recall.

"Good News"... aside from it being recorded June 11th 1967 at Brian's house, I have no idea.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 04:18:02 PM »

This is how knowledge develops...the Amy mentioned above is a young Amy Holland. I would sure like to see if the Good News in the Brother Archive is the Kingston Trio song. Smiley

If it runs amuck, call the duck
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 06:48:10 PM »

Peter, I'm pretty sure our mutual friend David Leaf ran into Amy Holland and her husband Michael McDonald at an industry event and asked her if she was the "Amy" who recorded "Let the Wind Blow" for Brother Records, and she denied any connection.  But please correct me if I'm wrong.

From her official bio on her website, www.amyhollandmcdonald.com: "Amy Holland’s career began at 15 years old when she migrated to LA to sign with Brother records a label started by the Beach Boys. Though no album was to materialize, it was a ticket out of Palisades NY straight into the music business of  the 70’s in that mecca known as Hollywood California.".

Lee
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:33:36 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 11:54:24 PM »

I feel compelled to apologise for my previous post in this thread: it was on-topic, polite, informative to the best of my ability and in no way toxic or cancerous. I've let down myself and the rest of the board, and I apologise unreservedly. It won't happen again.  Roll Eyes

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 10:14:46 AM »

A song by this title popped up with some others recorded around 1960.

Any chance this same song (by the Kingston Trio originally) has anything at all to do with the Smiley Smile outtake of the same title?

We know Al is a huge Kingston Trio fan.

Also, who is the female voice on that 1960ish recording? Any ideas?

I assume until there is tape evidence otherwise that it is the same song Brian recorded on the "garage tapes."  Wonder why this one hasn't shown up in the tape vaults - maybe they taped over it in the home studio for something else?  It seems like all of the Smiley era tapes have been preserved in good shape.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 10:52:03 AM »

Eminently reasonable assumption.  Smiley

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 11:23:50 AM »

Ok, I re-read this thread, and now I have a different understanding...

In the original post, the poster was referring to the version of the gospel song "Good News" on what is referred to as the "Garage Tapes" or "Audree's Garage Tapes." There is a female voice that is singing on that circa 1960 Wilson family tape, and the poster was wondering who that might be.  Audree Wilson?  Maureen Love?  A neighbor or other relative?

Next, fast-forward to 1967, where paperwork shows a recording of a song called "Good News" at Brian's house in the middle of the Smiley Smile sessions.  Has anyone ever heard this one?

And somehow we got to "Amy," aka Amy Holland, wife of Michael McDonald, who was believed to have auditioned for Brother Records by singing over the track to "Let the Wind Blow."  If she was born in 1953 as her bio states, and was 15 or 16 when she made her way from New York to California and auditioned for Brother Records, that would date that recording to 1968-69.  Andrew and Peter, are you saying that there are other songs by "Amy" in the vault?

Lee
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 09:50:44 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 08:00:37 PM »

I would approach the tune from 1967 with an open mind. It would be to entertain both possibilities, bearing in mind that the third possibility is that it could be a working title for another song which was finished with a change of title. All three possibilities are plausible.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 10:08:34 PM »

Ok, I re-read this thread, and now I have a different understanding...

In the original post, the poster was referring to the version of the gospel song "Good News" on what is referred to as the "Garage Tapes" or "Audree's Garage Tapes." There is a female voice that is singing on that circa 1960 Wilson family tape, and the poster was wondering who that might be.  Audree Wilson?  Maureen Love?  A neighbor or other relative?

Next, fast-forward to 1967, where paperwork shows a recording of a song called "Good News" at Brian's house in the middle of the Smiley Smile sessions.  Has anyone ever heard this one?

And somehow we got to "Amy," aka Amy Holland, wife of Michael McDonald, who was believed to have auditioned for Brother Records by singing over the track to "Let the Wind Blow."  If she was born in 1953 as her bio states, and was 15 or 16 when she made her way from New York to California and auditioned for Brother Records, that would date that recording to 1968-69.  Andrew and Peter, are you saying that there are other songs by "Amy" in the vault?

Lee

I acknowledge in retrospect my original post was less than well worded.

Well done Lee - you actually read my post and interpreted it - what a novelty! I must say I assumed the voice on the "Garage Tapes" was Maureen Love. But that was just a guess.

As to how Amy came into it - I'm not quite sure.

I am guessing there is no real suggestion that "Amy" sang on the Smiley Smile outtake.

Also guessing the 1960 Garage Tape does not contain a person called Amy, and certainly not a 7 year old Amy Holland.

This is how knowledge develops...the Amy mentioned above is a young Amy Holland. I would sure like to see if the Good News in the Brother Archive is the Kingston Trio song. Smiley

thanks for your support Peter.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 10:11:54 PM by thetojo » Logged
csparks
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 05:47:40 AM »

May be beating a dead thread, but I'm also curious who the girl sing on "Good News" "Sloop John B", "Hully Gully" is. If the Amy mentioned is from NY, I doubt it is her, as this girl has somewhat of a Southern accent.

I also wondered if it was Maureen Love, due to the  time frame of the recordings. She sounds completely at ease and familiar with everyone....
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx