gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:52:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 76 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson 2016 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour)  (Read 472121 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: May 12, 2016, 01:49:38 PM »

on a earlier post i believe it was mentioned Scott  was leaving the band and being replaced by gary and billy.. Why is this happening anyone know Huh

Presumably scheduling conflicts with Scott's new side project; Prison.

LOL LOL
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: May 12, 2016, 01:53:25 PM »

Emdeeh - I really like the program. There's a lot of text, great pictures, and it's a good quality printing.

As I mentioned after the Auckland concert. Any sign that Mike and Bruce were involved with PS has been omitted. No name check or image. So sad it has come to that.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #902 on: May 12, 2016, 02:17:32 PM »

After the 2005 lawsuit Mike launched against Brian, where perhaps the main crux of the suit was a picture of the "original" Beach Boys being used for a BW solo CD, I don't blame Brian and his management for omitting folks who are still living who choose not to tour with Brian.

I'm sure Brian would have been happy to use full group shots if the band could have stayed together and done a "Pet Sounds" tour as a reunited group.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 02:18:35 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: May 12, 2016, 02:48:51 PM »

Sorry if this has been covered before, but BW's website indicates that there is a show on July 7 at "St Joseph du Lac", Quebec.  I'm not sure why it's listed this way because this show is actually at the Montreal Jazz Festival, which is smack in the middle of Montreal.  Just in case anyone on the East Coast wanted to go but didn't know where St Joseph du Lac was...
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: May 12, 2016, 03:55:42 PM »

And lastly, from the VIP package, a poster and a page of music. My daughter tried to give them instructions on where to sign and was shocked to find out she doesn't get to boss them around the way she does me. She was very perturbed that Blondie signed right across the music.

I'm done spamming now. If anyone has any particular questions about the program, I'll check back here.
Also, at the merchandise counter they had Help Me Rhonda baseball shirts.

Just looking at this again and noticed no mention of Tony Asher as a writer, only Brian's name.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: May 12, 2016, 04:06:53 PM »

And lastly, from the VIP package, a poster and a page of music. My daughter tried to give them instructions on where to sign and was shocked to find out she doesn't get to boss them around the way she does me. She was very perturbed that Blondie signed right across the music.

I'm done spamming now. If anyone has any particular questions about the program, I'll check back here.

Just looking at this again and noticed no mention of Tony Asher as a writer, only Brian's name.
That's true. I know nothing about music publishing, but I noticed it's a limited horn part. So maybe if the words are just there for a guide you don't need to credit? I don't know.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: May 12, 2016, 07:19:48 PM »

Brian's team seems to be just as guilty of re-writing history lately as Mike's team is...would be nice if these guys ever grew up.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: May 13, 2016, 06:00:18 AM »

That's true. I know nothing about music publishing, but I noticed it's a limited horn part. So maybe if the words are just there for a guide you don't need to credit? I don't know.

Hi Emily, it's the melody and not just a limited horn part.  It has the French horn notes on the intro but it's pretty much the main elements to the song - chords, melody, lyrics.

Imagine the Lovester gave away something similar at one of his shows minus Brian's name.  The board would be in meltdown!  Cheesy

Still a lovely souvenir which hopefully I'll have in a few weeks!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: May 13, 2016, 06:23:52 AM »

Hi Emily, it's the melody and not just a limited horn part.  It has the French horn notes on the intro but it's pretty much the main elements to the song - chords, melody, lyrics.

Imagine the Lovester gave away something similar at one of his shows minus Brian's name.  The board would be in meltdown!  Cheesy

Still a lovely souvenir which hopefully I'll have in a few weeks!
Ah. Missed that it moves on from the horn. I didn't look through. My daughter's been practicing it on piano, but the rule is that I don't listen until she's ready.

It is true that it would be a big issue had Mike Love done something analogous. Isn't the law involved with crediting?
I hope your daughter enjoys it as much as mine did (and that you enjoy it as much as I did)!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: May 13, 2016, 06:29:23 AM »

Brian's team seems to be just as guilty of re-writing history lately as Mike's team is...would be nice if these guys ever grew up.

kinda like Brian's tour book this year, all of the Pet Sounds photo shoot photo's all have Mike Love removed.  That's even pretty low from Brian's people.  All of the photo's include his brothers and Al, but no Mike or Bruce who of course where there for the sessions and the album cover.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 06:29:59 AM by bringahorseinhere? » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: May 13, 2016, 06:39:24 AM »

kinda like Brian's tour book this year, all of the Pet Sounds photo shoot photo's all have Mike Love removed.  That's even pretty low from Brian's people.  All of the photo's include his brothers and Al, but no Mike or Bruce who of course where there for the sessions and the album cover.
thought about that. And I'm sure there was politics involved in the decision. But a minor justification is that it's a tour book and including Al makes sense in that way, and including his brothers might make emotional sense to Brian Wilson while not including Mike Love at this stage might also make emotional sense. I personally wouldn't criticize Mike Love at this stage for avoiding Brian Wilson references because they clearly have bad feelings about each other right now.
It would have been more tactful had he chosen separate photos that didn't include Mike Love in the first place.
Also, I think I'd seen all of those photos before and the photos I really enjoyed were the ones I hadn't seen, so more of those would've been nice. Like the fox one!  Love

Much better explanation by HeyJude below.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 07:13:16 AM by Emily » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #911 on: May 13, 2016, 07:06:40 AM »

kinda like Brian's tour book this year, all of the Pet Sounds photo shoot photo's all have Mike Love removed.  That's even pretty low from Brian's people.  All of the photo's include his brothers and Al, but no Mike or Bruce who of course where there for the sessions and the album cover.

As I mentioned in a previous post, have you read Mike's 2005 lawsuit against Brian? A freebie "Brian Wilson" CD (as opposed to the tour program, which is actually being *sold*) with a pic of Mike on it resulted in a vitriol-filled lawsuit.

If I were Brian or his "team", after that lawsuit, I'd make sure, for no other reason than to protect from future frivolous lawsuits (much of the 2005 lawsuit was found to be "borderline frivolous" by the courts; but that doesn't mean it's not still a pain in the ass and costly and stressful for potential defendants), that Mike Love's picture is nowhere near any Brian product, *especially* when it's a product being sold for profit rather than the giveaway CD in question from 2005.

I'd also have to go back and peruse past programs and other BW tour merch, but I'm guessing the non-appearance of Mike is not a new thing.

I'm also thinking it's less likely they've "removed" Mike from pictures, as if they've airbrushed Mike out of existing pictures. I'm guessing they've just used poses and cropped photos to not show Mike. As I said, I'm pretty sure Mike's decade-old lawsuit is one of the main motivating factors for Brian to err on the side of caution and leave Mike out of it completely.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: May 13, 2016, 07:11:26 AM »

kinda like Brian's tour book this year, all of the Pet Sounds photo shoot photo's all have Mike Love removed.  That's even pretty low from Brian's people.  All of the photo's include his brothers and Al, but no Mike or Bruce who of course where there for the sessions and the album cover.

As I mentioned in a previous post, have you read Mike's 2005 lawsuit against Brian? A freebie "Brian Wilson" CD (as opposed to the tour program, which is actually being *sold*) with a pic of Mike on it resulted in a vitriol-filled lawsuit.

If I were Brian or his "team", after that lawsuit, I'd make sure, for no other reason than to protect from future frivolous lawsuits (much of the 2005 lawsuit was found to be "borderline frivolous" by the courts; but that doesn't mean it's not still a pain in the ass and costly and stressful for potential defendants), that Mike Love's picture is nowhere near any Brian product, *especially* when it's a product being sold for profit rather than the giveaway CD in question from 2005.

I'd also have to go back and peruse past programs and other BW tour merch, but I'm guessing the non-appearance of Mike is not a new thing.

I'm also thinking it's less likely they've "removed" Mike from pictures, as if they've airbrushed Mike out of existing pictures. I'm guessing they've just used poses and cropped photos to not show Mike. As I said, I'm pretty sure Mike's decade-old lawsuit is one of the main motivating factors for Brian to err on the side of caution and leave Mike out of it completely.

Actually, the fact that they got sued in the past for using Mike's image is a very good point that I hadn't thought of. In that light, it would've been foolish to include his image. That would perfectly well explain the choice.

And, writing something stupid is what I get for not reading the whole thread.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 07:16:17 AM by Emily » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #913 on: May 13, 2016, 07:24:19 AM »

Also keep in mind that Brian and Mike's tour "merch" is not analogous. That is, Brian's stuff is "Brian" merchandise and because he fully controls the rights to his own likeness and name, the stuff is all his "merch."

On the other hand, Mike's "merch" is part of his license. Just as BRI gets their license fee for Mike's tour, BRI also collect a cut of the merchandising, at least all of the merchandise that bears BRI's trademark (e.g. the name). Mike's merchandise, at least in terms of integrating the band's name, *is* more inclusive than Brian's. But that's because Mike is paying a fee to do so. And, not trying to be snarky, but I don't think "Mike Love" shirts would sell that well.

Supposedly, in 2013 right after Mike left the reunion and went back to his own band, Brian and Al *did* ask Mike not to use their likenesses for the video screen presentations during the shows (the request apparently occurring only after reports that their pics were being used). While that request was certainly imbued with the politics of the aftermath of C50, I don't think it was wholly inappropriate to ask that. Mike was choosing not to play with Brian and Al, but happy to use their images for his show, all the while there were still a few small cases of C50 pics incorrectly being used to promote Mike's shows. In any event, my understanding is that that request from Brian and Al was eventually lifted.

Nevertheless, I could easily envision Brian being *criticized* for using Mike's pics in his tour program in light of having asked a few years ago for his image to be removed from Mike's shows.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 07:30:52 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #914 on: May 13, 2016, 07:28:40 AM »

Actually, the fact that they got sued in the past for using Mike's image is a very good point that I hadn't thought of. In that light, it would've been foolish to include his image. That would perfectly well explain the choice.

And, writing something stupid is what I get for not reading the whole thread.

To be fair, I'd have to go back to my old Brian programs from the 1999, 2000, and 2004/2005 tours. It may well be that Mike was not included in any of those programs either.

Leaving Mike out of a Brian program probably is a political thing too. But it's not some sort of "trying to rewrite history" exercise. Indeed, Brian tends to praise Mike's writing skills to this day whenever someone brings up the topic with Brian. Brian says nice things about Mike, but keeps his tour stuff separate.

In some cases, Mike does the opposite. Says some questionable things about Brian in interviews, but is probably more than happy to use Brian's likeness in shows or, on his terms during a concert, talk about Brian in a positive light (if, as some concert attendees have reported, he sometimes makes it sound like Brian's dead).

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: May 13, 2016, 07:36:36 AM »

then it puts everything on 'thin ice' considering that 'Pet Sounds' is a Beach Boys album, not a Brian Wilson solo record, even behind the smoke and mirrors that it is.  They should not have used any of the pics from the photo shoot that included Brian with his brothers, cousin, Al or Bruce.  That has added fuel to the fire.  They should have done new shots with Al and the guys or just used single Brian pics.  This whole photoshoping Mike n Bruce out is childish and using Carl and Dennis is only supporting Brian, but who would know where those brothers would have stood these days. There has been a long time between drinks since Carl n Dennis have gone.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 07:37:55 AM by bringahorseinhere? » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #916 on: May 13, 2016, 07:49:28 AM »

then it puts everything on 'thin ice' considering that 'Pet Sounds' is a Beach Boys album, not a Brian Wilson solo record, even behind the smoke and mirrors that it is.  They should not have used any of the pics from the photo shoot that included Brian with his brothers, cousin, Al or Bruce.  That has added fuel to the fire.  They should have done new shots with Al and the guys or just used single Brian pics.  This whole photoshoping Mike n Bruce out is childish and using Carl and Dennis is only supporting Brian, but who would know where those brothers would have stood these days. There has been a long time between drinks since Carl n Dennis have gone.

If you've read some of Mike's lawsuit regarding Brian's "Smile" album, you're making what sound to me like slight variations on Mike's (failed) arguments, which is that "using" a Beach Boys product from the past to promote a current Brian Wilson product is somehow not allowed, or that the original "creators" of that project are somehow entitled to a cut of the proceeds or something.

Brian has to pay whomever owns the copyrights to the PS photo shoot. I'm guessing that's Capitol/UME, but I don't know for sure. He *may* have to pay individuals in those pictures for using their likeness; I'm not sure how that works for things like programs. In any event, that's it. There's no "thin ice" regarding PS being a BB album. If there was, Brian wouldn't have undertaken numerous PS tours starting 16 years ago. And again, the "it was a BB project" argument was the crux of some of the "Smile" lawsuit stuff from the mid-2000s, and those arguments all failed as far as I know. The copyright holders to the music and photos and artwork and all of that are who need to be addressed, not the original artist.

Brian could present an entire Foghat album in concert if he wanted to, and as long as all proper licensing of photos and royalties for musical performances are paid, there's nothing wrong with that.

Also, again are we sure Mike *and* Bruce have been "photoshopped" out of photos? Or have they just chosen photos and cropped photos? Further, Bruce wasn't even in many of the shots from the PS photo shoot (including, as I'm sure we all know, the cover shot, but also many other shots); they did a specific set of photos during that '66 photo shoot without Bruce, so I'm not sure which shots were used and whether cropping of Bruce was even necessary.

And as far as I'm concerned, if Al (and the estate of Carl and Dennis if their permission is needed) have no problem with Brian using their likenesses, Brian shouldn't have to omit them as well just because Mike was litigious in this regard and on this topic back in 2005.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 07:52:30 AM by HeyJude » Logged

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: May 13, 2016, 04:22:48 PM »

Anybody here purchased a Meet and Greet for Glasgow?  I've just taken the plunge!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: May 13, 2016, 05:06:54 PM »

Anybody here purchased a Meet and Greet for Glasgow?  I've just taken the plunge!
Scottish are ye?
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: May 13, 2016, 06:19:35 PM »

Sure am!  Grin
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #920 on: May 15, 2016, 07:34:39 PM »

Any setlists yet for Colston Hall?

ash
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: May 15, 2016, 11:53:19 PM »

In addition to my post gig enthusiastic review I should mention that Darian wasn't there last night. Can't help with setlist but they did do Wake The World which was nice to hear and the last 3 numbers of the first half were Wild Honey / Funky Pretty / Sail On Sailor sung by Blondie.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #922 on: May 16, 2016, 12:16:34 AM »

then it puts everything on 'thin ice' considering that 'Pet Sounds' is a Beach Boys album, not a Brian Wilson solo record, even behind the smoke and mirrors that it is.  They should not have used any of the pics from the photo shoot that included Brian with his brothers, cousin, Al or Bruce.  That has added fuel to the fire.  They should have done new shots with Al and the guys or just used single Brian pics.  This whole photoshoping Mike n Bruce out is childish and using Carl and Dennis is only supporting Brian, but who would know where those brothers would have stood these days. There has been a long time between drinks since Carl n Dennis have gone.

If you've read some of Mike's lawsuit regarding Brian's "Smile" album, you're making what sound to me like slight variations on Mike's (failed) arguments, which is that "using" a Beach Boys product from the past to promote a current Brian Wilson product is somehow not allowed, or that the original "creators" of that project are somehow entitled to a cut of the proceeds or something.

Brian has to pay whomever owns the copyrights to the PS photo shoot. I'm guessing that's Capitol/UME, but I don't know for sure. He *may* have to pay individuals in those pictures for using their likeness; I'm not sure how that works for things like programs. In any event, that's it. There's no "thin ice" regarding PS being a BB album. If there was, Brian wouldn't have undertaken numerous PS tours starting 16 years ago. And again, the "it was a BB project" argument was the crux of some of the "Smile" lawsuit stuff from the mid-2000s, and those arguments all failed as far as I know. The copyright holders to the music and photos and artwork and all of that are who need to be addressed, not the original artist.

Brian could present an entire Foghat album in concert if he wanted to, and as long as all proper licensing of photos and royalties for musical performances are paid, there's nothing wrong with that.

Also, again are we sure Mike *and* Bruce have been "photoshopped" out of photos? Or have they just chosen photos and cropped photos? Further, Bruce wasn't even in many of the shots from the PS photo shoot (including, as I'm sure we all know, the cover shot, but also many other shots); they did a specific set of photos during that '66 photo shoot without Bruce, so I'm not sure which shots were used and whether cropping of Bruce was even necessary.

And as far as I'm concerned, if Al (and the estate of Carl and Dennis if their permission is needed) have no problem with Brian using their likenesses, Brian shouldn't have to omit them as well just because Mike was litigious in this regard and on this topic back in 2005.

Brian doing Foghat just made me do a spit take

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: May 16, 2016, 04:22:43 AM »

That poor misled fan we all are always worrying about must now think it's called Pet Sounds because it was recorded by Brian and a giraffe, a fox, and a monkey.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: May 16, 2016, 04:29:06 AM »

That's not uncommon for sheet music since Brian wrote the music...tho there are some lyrics there
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 04:29:52 AM by Woodstock » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 76 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx