gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:54:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's band  (Read 105652 times)
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2015, 12:58:04 PM »

http://www.theaquarian.com/2015/11/18/rant-n-roll-brian-wilson-is-the-beach-boys-accept-no-substitute/
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 06:19:24 AM by beatnickle » Logged
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 01:05:43 PM »

What an absolute tw*t of a journalist talking nonsense. Mike has an excellent touring band on the road and performs good shows. Brian's shows are probably better for nostalgic reasons with Al and Blondie being there, but Mikes are still good imo (attended both Brian's shows throughout the years, Mikes and the 50th anniversary 2012 reunion).
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 01:50:30 PM »

As I've often said, there are ways to thoughtfully (and more effectively) criticize Mike and/or his tour. But people writing stuff like that (which seems to be nothing more than a boring, rambling blog being allowed space on an actual magazine's website) need to realize that actually calling him "The Evil Beach Boy" (the author's capitalized emphasis, not mine) is the type of thing that will just fuel Mike's persecution complex.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 01:58:59 PM »

It's a trap Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 02:22:38 PM »

It's a trap Wink
I will say that there's lots of button-pushing around here.
I don't absolve myself.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 03:34:04 PM by Emily » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 02:27:21 PM »

It's a trap Wink

Grin
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 02:14:09 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 02:38:51 PM »

Troll bait, and piss poor troll bait at that. I fart in his general direction.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 02:51:48 PM »

Dang…  I bit!

“We live in divisive times.”
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 04:05:01 PM »

The immortal Mike Greenblatt.  Never heard of him.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 07:09:10 PM »

Wow - written by the same Greenblatt person who's Carl Wilson interview in the Aquarian from 32 years ago I recently quoted in another thread here...otherwise, I have absolutely no knowledge of him or the publication itself! Not being a New Jersey-ite and not having heard of The Aquarian prior to acquiring that copy of their paper in '83 for the express purpose of obtaining the Carl interview, I have no idea if this is a well-renowned rock publication or not, but am a bit surprised to see that it's still around! Pity the article is such a piece of tripe. But then, Greenblatt had the questionable taste to ask Carl about Manson in the '83 interview!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 07:10:06 PM by c-man » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 12:17:29 AM »

Whoring usually involves doing something you don't want to do, for money.

Like writing articles for "the aquarian" 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2015, 02:03:14 AM »

Also piss poor writing - starts off saying how terrible it was that Brian was forced to carry on writing the girls in cars having fun in the sun stuff (he wasn't, and indeed, he didn't) but by the end such material is praiseworthy.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 02:05:05 AM »

Any chance we can change the title on this thread? I agree with you 100% that what the writer of the article wrote is way beyond appropriate, so it irks me to see that anywhere, and especially when I come to our little home on the internet to celebrate The Beach Boys. I still think it's a fine to topic to discuss, but seeing that phrase as the first thing when I check in is a bummer.

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 02:19:49 AM »

Any chance we can change the title on this thread?

Yes, please, it makes me feel uncomfortable too. The worst title since someone started a thread called "Brian Wilson is dead".
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 10:43:31 PM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2015, 04:16:31 AM »

Any chance we can change the title on this thread?

Yes, please, it makes me feel uncomfortable too. The worst title since someone started a thread called "Brian Wilson is dead".

One letter would be enough: Mike's whole band, Mike's shore band... Cool Guy
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 03:23:38 PM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2015, 04:33:21 AM »

all in all, writer has the general idea.  Would just love  to see Mike go out on stage for solo concert vs Brian  and a solo show.  Comedy vs musical heaven.  Mr. Love won the lottery so many years ago..what a free ride.  Yes! Help Me I'm caught in the trap and can't (won"t) get out. 
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 04:36:14 AM »

Next time BW accepts an award, he should suddenly challenge Mike Love to get on stage and jam.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2015, 06:22:31 AM »

The guy is an uninformed loser.  He did not do his "due diligence" in reporting.  And he might be in an "elated state" or giddy, as one might be after seeing Brian round third, after this great film has been released, after having seen Brian fairly recently, I've seen, but this is just being a jerk. 

He is clueless about the setlist of the touring band and could have checked out what they have been playing for some time, deeper cuts as time goes on.  Mike Greenblatt gets a big red "D" on his report card from me.  He did a good job with Brian, but with the Touring Band, not so much. 

Classless loser.  And, I doubt Brian would like his cuz being called that name.  Blood is still thicker than water.   Wink
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 06:35:00 AM »

......He did not do his "due diligence" in reporting.  And he might be in an "elated state" or giddy, as one might be after seeing Brian round third.......

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2015, 07:11:58 AM »

Any chance we can change the title on this thread? I agree with you 100% that what the writer of the article wrote is way beyond appropriate, so it irks me to see that anywhere, and especially when I come to our little home on the internet to celebrate The Beach Boys. I still think it's a fine to topic to discuss, but seeing that phrase as the first thing when I check in is a bummer.
Also it's a little awkward with my daughter always looking over my shoulder.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 01:58:20 PM by Emily » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2015, 07:13:12 AM »

Next time BW accepts an award, he should suddenly challenge Mike Love to get on stage and jam.
That would be funny.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 02:00:25 PM by Emily » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2015, 07:17:45 AM »

Also it's a little awkward with my daughter always looking over my shoulder.
Yes, that would be nice to change the thread title...
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2015, 08:48:06 AM »

......He did not do his "due diligence" in reporting.  And he might be in an "elated state" or giddy, as one might be after seeing Brian round third.......

LOL
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2015, 10:33:22 AM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2015, 11:18:37 AM »

Glad to see the heading changed on this thread.  Wow was that insulting!!!  As for the article?  I ain't readin' it.  I know what I saw and heard in August and it was TOTALLY  outstanding...including Jeff.

Credit where credit is due.  Anything less would be dishonest and unworthy.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx