gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:43:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin book about The Beach Boys?  (Read 489875 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: February 02, 2016, 05:29:57 PM »

Mike Love put me on his label Butterfly Records in 1979 and gave me a budget of $100,000 dollars to do a Disco Album. Disco stopped on a dime as soon as we mixed it down! Smiley Smiley

I started this thread after searching the web for more information about that disco album. Incidentally, I found information about your book instead. nice full-circle moment for me.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: February 02, 2016, 05:44:34 PM »

Yeah, Carl had a beautiful voice .... when he stopped jamming cold cuts in his mouth long enough to sing.( sorry, couldn't resist)
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: February 03, 2016, 09:18:13 AM »

Yeah, Carl had a beautiful voice .... when he stopped jamming cold cuts in his mouth long enough to sing.( sorry, couldn't resist)
Smiley Yeah, I know. You're just a "cold cut" kinda guy... Good luck with that (don't choke on it). Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:59:04 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: February 03, 2016, 09:44:43 AM »

You know that there are only a couple hundred readers of this board, right?

You are incorrectly assuming that all readers of this board are members. At any given time a large number of readers are guests, and thus not necessarily members. And, as previously stated, not all members are active posters, but they may still be readers.

You are incorrect that I made that assumption. Given the ratio of reads to posts (about 47) I don't think it would be off to say that <200 people are reading.

You said "there are only a couple hundred readers of this board." That statement is factually incorrect. As far as how many people are reading this thread, I have no idea, but the ratio of reads to posts isn't a valid way to determine the number of people who are actively reading or have read part or all of this thread, especially when you have made well over 120 posts in this thread alone.

Emily, you have made some very good points in your posts in this thread and others, but please keep in mind that when you overload a thread with posts, as you have done in this one and others, many readers will start skipping over your posts, thinking, "Oh, there goes Emily, making the same point over and over again." And please understand that I'm not saying this with malice, but rather in an attempt to impart some useful info.

Smiley Custom Machine... Finally, someone with some cajones! Tell it like it is! Where ya been?  Have you discovered who created this blog? I want to "THANK" him over and over. How many people write a book and someone creates a web site, a blog, for it? Someone thought it was Charles le Park... (can't find him)  Any ideas?  What a guy, whoever he is! Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:58:10 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
China Pig
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: February 03, 2016, 09:48:04 AM »

I have to admit that's my favorite version of "California Feeling" ... Sounds the most BW-produced. I have a vinyl bootleg copy.

I've had it for years on Get The Boot. I never knew it was Rocky singing, you sound rather good Rock! I also much prefer this arrangement to the MIC versions.
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: February 03, 2016, 10:09:21 AM »

I have to admit that's my favorite version of "California Feeling" ... Sounds the most BW-produced. I have a vinyl bootleg copy.

I've had it for years on Get The Boot. I never knew it was Rocky singing, you sound rather good Rock! I also much prefer this arrangement to the MIC versions.
Smiley China Pig... You're not really an "OINKER"! Compared to, well, you read the thread! "WOW," mine is your favorite version of "Calif Feelin'"?  (I'm speechless)  You should be careful with compliments like that.  You could get death threats from the real OINKERS.  It is a solo-produced BW song. THANKS AGAIN, China Doll. Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:55:16 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: February 03, 2016, 01:29:09 PM »

Rocky,

This may not be the correct timing as far as Beach Boys history goes, but did you ever meet or have contact with Mr. Darro....?
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: February 03, 2016, 02:36:46 PM »

If Rocky was a dog, which kind would he be?
Smiley mtaber, OK... So you were NOT insulting me.  I'm happy to learn that.  I wish you would have referenced this other site about the BB and what kind of dog they would have been? (for clarification sake)  Because if you notice the next few posts were people responding to your "dog" post...  saying things like... same as any other; Illiterate and stupid... Would he hump your leg?  Does he also salivate? ... and my dog barks for his daily meatball... (so I thank you for that!) Perhaps you should e-mail them about your "clarification" and lack of malice (?) There surely was "no" lack of "malice" on their  "perceived"  provoked response! You stated in your personal e-mail that you did not mean it as a personal insult... I do believe you - and to answer your question, I would probably be a BOXER! Smiley Smiley What kind would you be? Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:50:34 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: February 03, 2016, 02:54:55 PM »

Rocky,

This may not be the correct timing as far as Beach Boys history goes, but did you ever meet or have contact with Mr. Darro....?
Smiley No, I have no idea who he is, this Mr. Darro.  Was he on this site at one time? I recall a reference to "someone" the members of this blog "RAN OFF." Of which they seem to be quite "PROUD."  Such an admirable thing to do and be "PROUD" of... lol Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:46:10 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: February 03, 2016, 03:01:01 PM »

Your book is bound to sell a million units - in January!
Smiley I was wondering how many "millions of units" your book is SELLING? You must be in the music business... knowing the term "UNITS"... and all.  Smiley Smiley OK...Cincinnati... "PEACE" Smiley Maybe it was the January thing that fooled me.  I love the "YOUR BOOK IS BOUND TO SELL A MILLION UNITS" Smiley Smiley So we're cool? Gracias, amigo! Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:43:34 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: February 03, 2016, 03:05:23 PM »

Your book is bound to sell a million units - in January!
Smiley I was wondering how many "millions of units" your book is SELLING? You must be in the Music business... knowing the term "UNITS"... and all.  Smiley Smiley

It was just a fun reference to this. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMkDHV4sp-8
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1036 on: February 03, 2016, 03:14:02 PM »

Rocky,

Smiley No, I have no idea who he is... was he on this site at one time? I recall a reference to "someone" the members of this blog "ran off" they seem to be quite PROUD of!. Such an admirable thing to do. And to be "PROUD" of! Smiley Smiley

He was the guy who turned Brian onto acid. A complete creep, too (for other reasons besides that) and someone who is...um... 'honesty challenged'.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: February 03, 2016, 05:49:15 PM »

Smiley
We are due 2 books this year by Mike and Brian. Are you going to question their recollections as well? Of course there is going to be some artistic licence from so long ago and individual opinions. Let it slide at this stage.
Smiley Pretty Funky, we've had some funky words... but for these words...about questioning recollections... I Thank You!  Smiley Smiley

Does he hump your wifes leg?  Wink
Smiley "small-minded TWIT #5" Smiley Smiley

24 hours is a long time here at SmileySmile.  LOL

All in good fun Rocky. It's the way we roll I'm afraid and not much is off limits.
Credit to you for sticking around.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: February 03, 2016, 09:27:27 PM »

Rocky, I was just reading information about your album on http://www.discogs.com/Rocky-Pamplin-The-Rock/release/4895286 and I saw that a “Robert Darcy” did a lot of the work on it. I looked up Robert Darcy on copyright.gov and saw he had written a song with Diane Rovell in 1978 and that “Robert Darcy” was a pseudonym for Robert Zdarsky. Then I googled Robert Zdarsky and found out that that is beloved B-movie actor Robert Z’dar’s real name. So here’s the question: did beloved B-movie actor Robert Z’dar write, produce and arrange your album? If so that’s really funny to me.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: February 03, 2016, 11:39:38 PM »

Smiley Custom Machine... Finally someone with some cajones! Tell it like it is! Where ya been... have you discovered who created this blog? I want to "THANK" him over and over. How many people write a book and someone creates a web site... a blog... for it? Someone thought it was Charles le Park?... (can't find him) any ideas?  What a guy... who ever he is! Smiley Smiley

Rocky, the Smiley Smile Dot Net Message Board was created ten years ago by Charles LePage, and has since become the premiere Beach Boys and Brian Wilson discussion board. You can find his contact info by clicking on his name at the top left of this page http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,122.0.html.

Still interested in hearing even more about your involvement with American Spring and the song It's Like Heaven.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:41:47 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: February 04, 2016, 06:28:10 AM »

Rocky,

Smiley No, I have no idea who he is... was he on this site at one time? I recall a reference to "someone" the members of this blog "ran off" they seem to be quite PROUD of!. Such an admirable thing to do. And to be "PROUD" of! Smiley Smiley

He was the guy who turned Brian onto acid. A complete creep, too (for other reasons besides that) and someone who is...um... 'honesty challenged'.

Rocky, you would have ran him off too! Or maybe even socked him one!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: February 04, 2016, 09:52:26 AM »

Rocky,

Smiley No, I have no idea who he is, this Mr. Darro.  Was he on this site at one time? I recall a reference to "someone" the members of this blog "RAN OFF." Of which they seem to be quite "PROUD."  Such an admirable thing to do and be "PROUD" of... lol Smiley Smiley

Most of what there is to know about Darro is here: http://www.collapseboard.com/everett-true/odd-comment-left-on-brian-wilson-blog-entry/

It would be interesting if you could corroborate or deny any of his claims
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: February 04, 2016, 10:21:53 AM »

Rocky, I was just reading information about your album on http://www.discogs.com/Rocky-Pamplin-The-Rock/release/4895286 and I saw that a “Robert Darcy” did a lot of the work on it. I looked up Robert Darcy on copyright.gov and saw he had written a song with Diane Rovell in 1978 and that “Robert Darcy” was a pseudonym for Robert Zdarsky. Then I googled Robert Zdarsky and found out that that is beloved B-movie actor Robert Z’dar’s real name. So here’s the question: did beloved B-movie actor Robert Z’dar write, produce and arrange your album? If so that’s really funny to me.

Of "Soultaker" fame?  Now that would be cool!
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: February 04, 2016, 10:48:13 AM »

Smiley
Smiley So, you ask if "beloved" B-movie actor Bob Darcy, as he was called then, was the producer-arranger of my album? Yes it was he! I'm curious as to why... if you saw his name all over my album... indicating that he wrote all the songs, except one, and he is credited as the producer... WHY would you still be asking "IF" he was the producer-arranger? Isn't that self evident? As far as his status as "beloved" B-movie actor... what is your point? Are you interested in him? Are you attempting to "illustrate" that he is a "beloved" person ... as opposed too...? It seems your quite impressed with the status of being a "beloved" "B" anything? So you know... Bob had chin implants... and cheek implants put in his face with the money I paid him... and he looked... like ... how shall I say? A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PERSON afterwards! I did "NOT" even recognize him!!! Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:10:02 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: February 04, 2016, 10:55:43 AM »

Thanks for the response, Rocky. I was asking because for someone not in the know the leap from Robert Darcy to Robert Z’dar is kinda big. Never hurts to have confirmation.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:56:49 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: February 04, 2016, 11:22:53 AM »

Famous quotes you've probably never heard before:

"Rocky IS American Spring! He is the band.  We're his fucking messengers.  We're nothing.  He's everything."
                                                                                     -Diane Rovell

"The first time we heard California Feeling on the radio, I was so excited I ran down the street SCREAMING!  Rocky threw up!"
                                                                                                                       -Marilyn Rovell
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: February 04, 2016, 11:46:27 AM »

Smiley Custom Machine... Finally someone with some cajones! Tell it like it is! Where ya been... have you discovered who created this blog? I want to "THANK" him over and over. How many people write a book and someone creates a web site... a blog... for it? Someone thought it was Charles le Park?... (can't find him) any ideas?  What a guy... who ever he is! Smiley Smiley

Rocky, the Smiley Smile Dot Net Message Board was created ten years ago by Charles LePage, and has since become the premiere Beach Boys and Brian Wilson discussion board. You can find his contact info by clicking on his name at the top left of this page http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,122.0.html.

Still interested in hearing even more about your involvement with American Spring and the song It's Like Heaven.

Smiley My good friend Custom, I do not see Charles LePark's name at the top of this page... I must be blind? Some of the beloved posters might say... BLIND and STUPID? But those are the mentally challenged... and we wouldn't want to be rude! After all this blog is called Smiley Smile... not... Smiley Rude Smile... correct? Just clarifying! The boundary--lines get a little blurred here!!! OK... American Spring... was Diane's brain child! IT WENT NOWHERE! I thought the name was stupid... so did Brian! As far as "It's like Heaven" is concerned... Brian was playing the beautiful (Steinway)  Grand Piano in the rather posh-posh living room, which he rarely did, he almost always played the old "upright" honky tonk type piano in the, more casual, family room. Diane asked him to write a love song...melody... which became "It's Like Heaven." He had played a beginning melody...the first verse...(When Diane suggested the words "I love it when you talk to me"...  then she suggested that he sing it twice)... "I love it when you talk to me,"(pretended she was thinking this "up" on the spot... added)... but you'r afraid to walk with me...(you do the math) Then Brian came up with..."through the storm." (Diane, again, acted like she was creating on the spot... how about) "It's like heaven"...to which Brian immediately sings..."through the storm!" and then he stopped playing... right there... turned to me, and said... Rocky, can you help me with this?... I said help you with what?...this song Diane is "creating"? Well...Yeah (Brian mumbles)...So I say... the chorus is ...It's like heaven, right?... he nods, yes... I merely say, "why don't you just double that line... It's like heaven?" Brian said... that's it... and played the chorus over and over and over... "It's Like Heaven" and he told me to sing "through the storm" (which I did)... after five minutes of that... he stopped playing... jumped up and exclaimed "Rocky, Diane and I wrote a song! (I was embarrassed) and said, Brian you were going to double that line "It's Like Heaven" anyway... He shook his head "no" and walked out of the room... continuing his routine of pacing from one end of the house to the other (about 60 yards)... when he came back around... I stated again... Brian, you were going to double "It's Like Heaven" you know you were!! He shook his head no again! (I think it was a diversion... to what was really going down). BUT I CAN ASSURE YOU... he did "NOT" need me, or "anyone else", to help him write that song...(Diane already had it "under control") it was an awkward moment... and he was just being "GENEROUS!"... that's all. That was Brian's "NATURE!" The most "SELFLESS" and "GENEROUS" person I have "EVER" met! It brought him great pleasure to make other people feel good!!! Smiley Smiley (A footnote) There was a two or three year period... (before I was on the scene)... where Marilyn and Diane had a terrible "FALLING OUT!" and Marilyn did not speak to Diane or allow her in her house... with her and Brian!!! (You do the math) Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 11:01:53 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: February 04, 2016, 12:54:05 PM »

"Rocky IS American Spring! He is the band.  We're his fucking messengers.  We're nothing.  He's everything."
                                                                                     -Diane Rovell

"The first time we heard California Feeling on the radio, I was so excited I ran down the street SCREAMING!  Rocky threw up!"
                                                                                                                       -Marilyn Rovell
Smiley This is the first time I have ever heard these quotes! Maybe I was apart of American Spring... for about a minute and a half!  Brian did lay down a piano track, of "It's Like Heaven" at Brother Records and Marilyn sang the lead on it beautifully (the first verse and the bridge)... (Br) "for so long, so long, I've held onto this feeling... and if all my dreams come true... I'll be with you tonight... and to kiss you tonight.  Diane whispered the second verse... "Don't take this thrill away from me... you know our love was meant to be... the way that it should really be...(then Diane wanted to change "really" to "truly" (you guys do the math on this).  Then I asked Brian to sing the choruses with me because I was having trouble hitting the high note on ... It's like "HEAVEN" ("Heaven" being the highest note in the song). Then there was also a "TAG" that Brian added on the spot... (that he wanted me to sing) "What's the matter with "a" you babe... Don't you know I'll see ya through babe... What's the matter with "a" you babe... What's the matter with "a" you-oo-oo-oo?" The quote by Marilyn... (I think) was when she and I played a cassette of "Calif Feelin'"... for the first time in her car, on the way to Michelle Phillips' wedding (of the Mamas and the Papas...and Marilyn's very good friend). It was the first time we had heard "California Feelin'" completely mixed down... and on her car stereo (radio) and yes...it was a "thrill". I think Marilyn was as happy (for me) as I was thrilled. I had to have her pull the car over... and YES... I THREW UP! Marilyn jumped out of the car... and did her HAPPY DANCE! (She was a "great friend") We laughed our thrilled asses off... all the rest of the way to the wedding! Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 10:33:28 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: February 04, 2016, 01:23:42 PM »

"Rocky IS American Spring! He is the band.  We're his fucking messengers.  We're nothing.  He's everything."
                                                                                     -Diane Rovell

"The first time we heard California Feeling on the radio, I was so excited I ran down the street SCREAMING!  Rocky threw up!"
                                                                                                                       -Marilyn Rovell
Smiley This is the first time I have ever heard these quotes! Maybe I was apart of American Spring... for about a minute and a half! Brian did lay down a Piano track, of "It's Like Heaven" at Brother Records and Marilyn sand the lead on it beautifully...(the first verse and the bridge)... (Br) "for so long, so long, I've held onto this feeling... and if all my dreams come true... I'll be with you tonight... and to kiss you tonight.  Diane whispered the second verse... "don't take this thrill away from me... you know our love was meant to be... the way that it should really be...(then Diane wanted to change "really" to "truly" (you guys do the math on this) Then I asked Brian to sing the Chorus's with me... because I was having trouble hitting the high note on ... it's like "HEAVEN" ("Heaven" being the highest note in the song). Then there was also a "TAG" that Brian added on the spot... (that he wanted me to sing) "What's the matter with "a" you babe... Don't you know I'll see ya through babe... What's the matter with "a" you babe... What's the matter with "a" you-oo-oo-oo?" The quote by Marilyn... (I think) was when she and I played a cassette of Calif Feelin'... for the first time in her car, on the way to Michelle Phillips Wedding (of the Mamma's and the Pappa's...and Marilyn's very good friend). It was the first time we had heard "California Feelin'" completely mixed down... and on her car stereo (radio) and yes...it was a "thrill". I think Marilyn was as happy (for me) as I was thrilled. I had to have her pull the car over... and YES... I THREW UP! Marilyn jumped out of the car... and did her HAPPY DANCE! (she was a "great friend") We laughed our thrilled asses off... all the rest of the way to the Wedding! Smiley Smiley
LOL  LOL  LOL

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: February 04, 2016, 02:12:23 PM »

Smiley Alan, are you being facetious... or are you genuinely getting a good laugh out of this scene? (above) Nervous thrills will make you throw up! LOL LOL I hope it is the latter.  I like you! Smiley Smiley
 Smiley Are we all ready for "THE SUPER BOWL"?  I am... and it's only Thursday! Smiley Smiley Segment #3 of "Wha--Ooh" is coming next Monday!  Smile  Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 10:28:13 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 83 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx