gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:20:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin book about The Beach Boys?  (Read 489785 times)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 30, 2015, 01:15:31 PM »

Also, Rocky, I'm a little confused: you said Brian Wilson preferred to use Brother Records' studios so they could get the revenue. Where would the revenue come from? Was a label paying for BW's studio time? Was he paying for it?
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 30, 2015, 02:15:42 PM »

Smiley  Mike's Beard,  as I've stated recently I'm taking the opportunity to respond to the friendly readers of Smile and would like to say thank you for your insight into not being judgemental... and moralizing! Yes... it is easy to do... It's like casting stones... it's ok if you have'nt sinned... or don't live in glass houses. I especially want to thank you for your thanking me for KEEPING DRUGS OUT OF BRIAN'S LIFE! But it was really Stephen, Stan and I who made a wholehearted concerted effort in that endeavor. The whole NO DRUGS IN BRIAN'S LIFE challenge was without a doubt THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT aspect of our interaction with Brian... PERIOD!   More important than Brian writing a hit record... or touring again after an extensive lay off... or going to the gym, working out, and losing over 100 pounds... even more significant than going to the Physiatrist! Who made it  perfectly clear to Marilyn,Stephen, Stan and I, in the very beginning, that if Brian was not DRUG and ALCOHOL FREE that no amount of therapy would do Brian any good!!! And I can certainly empathize with your conviction that if a 34 yr old man was attempting to give your daughter drugs...  that you would have kicked his ass... no matter how many beautyfull  songs  he had written!!!  BRAVO!!!    Smiley  Smiley  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:11:12 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 30, 2015, 03:07:23 PM »

:)Cam Mott... I want to commend you on your keenly intuitive... highly insightful comment about DISHING the DIRT when it comes to Mike! I can assure you Cam that I have been patiently leading up to an ENORMOUS amount of DIRT DISHING with regards to the ever lovable Mike Love!!! Just ask Brian how lovable he feels Mike Love is... does the expression " EARFUL " mean anything to you? When I get to the  matter of Mike Love-less the readers who feel the way you do... and a number of others on this blog... there will be dancing in the streets... and unparalleled celebration!!! Have I mentioned the extensive blog, in existence for several years now, with countless posters "Man vs Clown" (Why I hate Mike Love) What a title!! What on earth could this person have done to garner this much hatred? Karma can be a BITCH!!   Smiley  Smiley  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:11:53 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 30, 2015, 07:56:36 PM »

Cam Mott... I want to commend you on your keenly intuitive... highly insightful comment about DISHING the DIRT when it comes to Mike! I can assure you Cam that I have been patiently leading up to an ENORMOUS amount of DIRT DISHING with regards to the ever lovable Mike Love!!! Just ask Brian how lovable he feels Mike Love is... does the expression " EARFUL " mean anything to you? When I get to the  matter of Mike Love-less the readers who feel the way you do... and a number of others on this blog... there will be dancing in the streets... and unparalleled celebration!!! Have I mentioned the extensive blog, in existence for several years now, with countless posters "Man vs Clown" (Why I hate Mike Love) What a title! What on earth could this person have done to garner this much hatred? Karma can be a BITCH!!

Rocky, just so you know, Cam Mott is the biggest Mike Love apologist on this board. So yeah, he probably won't be happy to see that you're going to have "bad things" to say about Mike.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 30, 2015, 07:58:34 PM »

Rocky, were you present for the big-band sessions from the never released 'Adult Child'? Supposedly included It's Over Now as well as Life is For the Living. That one always got a smile out of me - pure Brian!

Life...is for the living
Don't sit on your ass
Smokin' grass
That went out, a long time ago...

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: December 30, 2015, 08:39:31 PM »

Cam Mott... I want to commend you on your keenly intuitive... highly insightful comment about DISHING the DIRT when it comes to Mike! I can assure you Cam that I have been patiently leading up to an ENORMOUS amount of DIRT DISHING with regards to the ever lovable Mike Love!!! Just ask Brian how lovable he feels Mike Love is... does the expression " EARFUL " mean anything to you? When I get to the  matter of Mike Love-less the readers who feel the way you do... and a number of others on this blog... there will be dancing in the streets... and unparalleled celebration!!! Have I mentioned the extensive blog, in existence for several years now, with countless posters "Man vs Clown" (Why I hate Mike Love) What a title! What on earth could this person have done to garner this much hatred? Karma can be a BITCH!!

Rocky, just so you know, Cam Mott is the biggest Mike Love apologist on this board. So yeah, he probably won't be happy to see that you're going to have "bad things" to say about Mike.
Smiley

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: December 30, 2015, 10:18:27 PM »

Also, Rocky, I'm a little confused: you said Brian Wilson preferred to use Brother Records' studios so they could get the revenue. Where would the revenue come from? Was a label paying for BW's studio time? Was he paying for it?

Emily, I can answer this, as I've come across documentation related to countless Beach Boys recording sessions in the course of my research over the past several years: when a band or solo artist, such as the BBs, has a contract with a major label, like Capitol, Warners, or CBS, it is the label that pays for the session, including studio time and any hired musicians: sometimes upfront, sometimes though being billed via invoice, sometimes (as in the early days of the Boys' career) by buying the master from the artist who originally funded the session (at least, it USED to be that way - nowadays, a lot of recording artists own private in-home studios). Now, if the record flops, the label either writes off the loss, or forces the artist to pay the cost back to them from their touring revenue (as was probably the case with many "commercially failed" Beach Boys albums - luckily, the band still turned a profit on the road). Brother Studio was originally owned jointly by the Wilsons, but Brian eventually sold his interest to his brothers. Dennis and Carl then owned it jointly, until Carl decided it had to be sold to offset business losses.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 30, 2015, 11:10:50 PM »

Emily, I can answer this, as I've come across documentation related to countless Beach Boys recording sessions in the course of my research over the past several years: when a band or solo artist, such as the BBs, has a contract with a major label, like Capitol, Warners, or CBS, it is the label that pays for the session, including studio time and any hired musicians: sometimes upfront, sometimes though being billed via invoice, sometimes (as in the early days of the Boys' career) by buying the master from the artist who originally funded the session (at least, it USED to be that way - nowadays, a lot of recording artists own private in-home studios). Now, if the record flops, the label either writes off the loss, or forces the artist to pay the cost back to them from their touring revenue (as was probably the case with many "commercially failed" Beach Boys albums - luckily, the band still turned a profit on the road). Brother Studio was originally owned jointly by the Wilsons, but Brian eventually sold his interest to his brothers. Dennis and Carl then owned it jointly, until Carl decided it had to be sold to offset business losses.
I don't mean this sarcastically, it's an honest question because it seems so odd to me: are you saying that when Brian Wilson was brought to the studio (daily, it sounds like) to pace around and smoke and maybe one day write a song, the label paid the studio, whether or not anything productive was done, or even planned, for months?
Thanks for answering. It's really bizarre.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 30, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »

That was the making of " Still I Dream of It "... he wrote it in his head while pacing around. Who knows how long it took him to write it... the first song to come out of Brian in YEARS!!!

Thanks for the story, Rocky. FYI the recordings of "Still I Dream of It" and "It's Over Now", including Brian's demo, were released on a compilation set back in the '90s, and they are good songs. But it was written during or after sessions for The Beach Boys Love You, wasn't it? So it couldn't have been 'the first song to come out of Brian in years'.

Is there anything you remember about the follow-up album Adult/Child? Such as how Brian felt about it, and why it was never released?
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 31, 2015, 03:12:32 AM »

I look forward to hearing whatever you have to tell Rocky and, as I said earlier in this thread, I hope this board allows you to tell it.  Happy New Year.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #410 on: December 31, 2015, 04:22:18 AM »

Smilin Ed H, in response to your question... did I ever hear any outstanding music by Brian when I worked for him? YES... in particular there was the first song I ever heard him record in the studio at Brother Records, on 5th st. in Santa Monica, It was a thrill for me because I had never been in a recording studio before and Marilyn, Stan and I had finally gotten Brian to write a song! It was a complete departure from anything previously recorded... so not Beach Boyish! It was entitled "Still I Dream of It"... it was a ballad... and Brian laid it down in one take... playing the Piano and singing it at the same time! It was BEAUTYFULL... when Brian finished the ONE take the engineer asked him if he wanted to lay down another track... Brian simply said NO... it's perfect and got up from the Piano! If you would like me to recite some of the lyrics... I think I still remember a few...  Smell the kitchen now... Hear the maid her solitude my thoughts are fleeting now...Still I Dream of It... of that happy day when I can say I'm falling in love... and it haunts me so... like a dream that somehow linked to all the stars above... I'll find my love... I'll find my love... I know I know I know I'll find my love!!! Brian said it wasn't a Beach Boy song... and that he wanted Frank Sinatra to sing it! So it was sent to Sinatra's people... and Frank personally sent Brian a thank you note... but respectfully declining. I think Brian was a little disappointed. Stan and I dubbed him ONE TAKE BRIAN from that moment on!

Thanks. I'd love to hear more stuff like this from you.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #411 on: December 31, 2015, 07:29:20 AM »

I don't mean this sarcastically, it's an honest question because it seems so odd to me: are you saying that when Brian Wilson was brought to the studio (daily, it sounds like) to pace around and smoke and maybe one day write a song, the label paid the studio, whether or not anything productive was done, or even planned, for months?

That would be MY understanding. Unless Dennis and Carl gave him the studio time to use for free, which they very well might have - but as Rocky has pointed out, that time could also have been billed to the record company, simply because it COULD be considered actual studio time! Smiley Dennis recording there on his own might have been a different story, since he was part-owner. I know the label paid musicians fees for Dennis' sessions - not sure about the studio time, especially if he showed up in the middle of the night to record, as was his inclination oftentimes.
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 31, 2015, 10:32:57 AM »

Smiley To the first responders, (so to speak) Sweetdude Jim, Doo Dah, C-man, Puni Puni, Cam Mott, Smilin Ed H, and of course Emily I would very much like to thank all of you for taking the time to come on the board! Your imput is sincerely welcome and  very interesting. Alot of which I was not aware of for I am by no means an expert on the Beach Boys ... or anything else for that matter! I was, however, very fortunate to be given the opportunity to get to know Brian intimately and "try" to make a difference. Some good some not so... but I can honestly say that all our efforts, Marilyn, Stephen, Stan and mine were entirely about trying to save the ever fragile wonderful soul that is Brian... that we all ADMIRE and LOVE!!! Brian's music touched all of our lives deeply... the four of us...the "Brian's Back" team (as I refer to us) were trying our damndest to keep him around!!! And as I've said... Brian is 73 yrs young and still with us for the last 35 years! BRIAN IS STILL ALIVE... maybe Brian should write that song "I'm Still Alive" Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:14:18 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 31, 2015, 03:46:28 PM »

Rocky, do you have a publisher/publication date locked in yet or still working out the details?

- A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 31, 2015, 03:59:12 PM »

Hey Rocky, you've referred a few times to a foursome - you, Stan, Steve and Marilyn. Were the others not really involved? The other Wilsons or Mike Love?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:19:35 PM by Emily » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 31, 2015, 06:36:15 PM »

That would be MY understanding. Unless Dennis and Carl gave him the studio time to use for free, which they very well might have - but as Rocky has pointed out, that time could also have been billed to the record company, simply because it COULD be considered actual studio time! Smiley Dennis recording there on his own might have been a different story, since he was part-owner. I know the label paid musicians fees for Dennis' sessions - not sure about the studio time, especially if he showed up in the middle of the night to record, as was his inclination oftentimes.

This plays back to my earlier post about the up-is-down environment (1970s L.A. music industry) that all the players in this story were navigating at the time.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 31, 2015, 10:26:44 PM »

To the first responders, (so to speak) Sweetdude Jim, Doo Dah, C-man, Puni Puni, Cam Mott, Smilin Ed H, and of course Emily I would very much like to thank all of you for taking the time to come on the board! Your imput is sincerely welcome... and  very interesting. Alot of which I was not aware of ... for I am by no means an expert on the Beach Boys ...

Hm, does that mean you have no memory of an album called Adult/Child? This link has most of the information known about it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adult/Child
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 01, 2016, 04:00:36 PM »

Rocky, I'm curious about your mindset back then, I guess this will be covered in the book but was wondering why you didn't just maybe with your football background tackle Carl and Dennis and smack them around a bit rather than go for the full beat down. I can imagine Dennis and addicts are difficult/annoying to deal with.

Dear SteveMC, thank you for your post about not being that concerned about spelling and grammar... I try not to be so anal retentive myself! But it does help to know I have a great editor. I'm not a big fan of punk music...however I loved Sid Vicious and the Sex Pistols!(not sure if there punk... more Grunge I think... there's so many categories these day's)

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 02, 2016, 07:57:53 AM »

Emily, Yes, getting Brian to write songs again was not only a GOAL of ours ... but we felt it was imperative for Brian's mental rehabilitation. He's a songwriter... that's what he should be doing! Just like an athlete should be working out... running?... lifting weights?...etc! Which is exactly what we were also doing with Brian every mourning. Up early for a healthy diet based breakfast and then off to the Y.M.C.A in Santa Monica, where Brian preferred to go, to play full court basketball (hence: the running). Brian loved to dribble and drive with the ball... to be honest with you. he used to double dribble alot... and even charge into the other players. But none of them minded or called fouls on him...hey... they were playing ball with Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys! After an hour of that... we would  take two ten minute saunas, to lose weight, and then off to the physiatrist, twice a week for an hour session in Beverly Hills, and then we would go to the recording studio...(always Brother Records) because Dennis and Carl owned it and Brian wanted them to have the revenue. In the beginning Brian would just pace around the studio, and studio time is not cheap, smoking cigarettes, (until we slowly rationed him off them) and eventually he got tired of just walking around this environment he grew up in... and one day he just sat down at the Piano and told the engineer... lets roll tape on this! That was the making of " Still I Dream of It "... he wrote it in his head while pacing around. Who knows how long it took him to write it... the first song to come out of Brian in YEARS!!! ONE TAKE BRIAN!!! When we got home with the demo... which Brian always listened to, in the limo, on the ride back... Marilyn was ecstatic ... finally... a Brian Wilson original composition... with him singing it! She played it endlessly for days! LATER I'll tell you about the next song he wrote... "It's Over Now"

Hi Rocky, I too want to thank you for providing us with your recollections on this board. Having spent lots of time in Santa Monica many years back, it's interesting to think about Brian visiting the YMCA there (since I used to go to that location too, years later). You're speaking about the location on 6th Street right by the Santa Monica library (a block away from the old Brother Records location), I'm assuming? Did you, Brian, or the band used to hang out anywhere else locally in Santa Monica at the time? Dennis is known for hanging at the Chez Jay bar a few blocks away, but wondering if there were any other places around there (like the movie theaters or mall) that were local hangouts for you and the band?
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 02, 2016, 10:43:04 PM »

I have been reading through this and lots of interesting stuff to say the least! I am always interested in hearing or reading alternate views on Beach Boys history! I will definitely get this book if it comes out! I hope it does! Yes, the 70s are a fascinating period for the Beach Boys! I recall reading Heroes and Villains awhile back and some of this about Rocky I remember. I believe The Real Beach Boy also talked about Rocky from a different perspective.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: January 03, 2016, 12:14:50 PM »

https://manvsclown.wordpress.com/2006/07/21/why-i-hate-mike-love/

I read a lot of posts on this blog and it makes me sick. People throwing things around as 'facts' because they hate Mike Love, so they must be true. It is like a bunch of racists finding the kkk.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 03, 2016, 05:21:50 PM »

Do any of the other Beach Boys have similar multiple sites like "Man vs Clown" or is myKe luHv the only one?

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: January 03, 2016, 06:21:00 PM »

That whole I hate Mike thing mentioned often along the way here is pretty much a snoozefest...but if you go way down to the last 1/5, or so, of it and read the almost NON-STOP posts from 'Mr. Aloha'...Steve Love...you'll discover...once you get past the endless advertising for the book under scrutiny in this thread...some VERY interesting INSIGHT into the lawsuit involving B. Wilson/M. Love song writing credits and the hogwashiness of it in terms of it being VALID.  I think I could safely suggest that Steve isn't Mike's biggest supporter although he DOES recognize the actual positives contributed beyond the writing credits.

I still don't get the "we/they did it it 'cause we/they loved Brian" B.S.  Because obviously they DIDN'T...as has been proven several times in posts submitted to this VERY thread.  But I guess one has to assist in anything which might improve the perception many have of said 'cheerleader'.  Shallow Steve.  Ankle deep shallow.

I am staying away as so many here seem to be enjoying the discourse but I wanted to point out the one and only interesting tid-bit I saw in that anti Michael 'thingy'.  Obviously Rocklette is promoting our reading it because of all the free advertising contained therein...as if either of those 2 spokespersons really matter when it comes to the BIG picture...what with their being tainted by facts and all.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:23:02 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 04, 2016, 12:39:09 PM »

Smiley   Well I hope all the Smile readers had a Happy Smiley New Years... and no D.U.I.s! Have you all made New Years Resolutions? My Resolution last year was to no longer be part of the Libation Nation... or the Pot lot! Mission accomplished!!! My resolution for 2016 is Rigorous Honesty! On that note,,, I think this might be a good time to tell about the CADDY CRUISE. Which took place, Saturday again around noon, one week after Brian's phone call shocker. I was tinkering with a tune at the piano when I heard a horn honk... looked outside... and there was Brian in his powder blue caddy idling sideways in my driveway. I walked  outside barefoot and Brian say's... so I'm not the only one who goes around barefoot... I say... no your the only one who gets on a plane, with a complete stranger, going from Chicago to Minnesota in the dead of winter BAREFOOT!!! Jump in he say's...(having never seen Brian drive...I ask) you got a drivers license?... YEP (is his reply) show it to me... (I demand) he does and I jump in... but not before stating... you don't have any beers in the car with you... do you?... NOPE... (he say's convincingly) Good... where are we going? Up the coast... Up the coast is good! ( The radio is playing ) Get you'r motor running... head out on the highway... looking for adventure... and whatever comes our way! On the cruise from the Palisades up to Malibu we chat casually about nothing in particular ... sometimes just riding in silence checking out the surf and the babes... other times we'd talk story... there was some reminiscing... some confessions... and lots of laughs... BUT NO TEARS! It was the MOST RELAXED I had ever seen Brian.... It made me feel HONORED! Brian at the wheel...me riding shotgun...the top down...the wind in our hair...the sun shining... the radio playing oldies... and not a care in the world! It doesn't get any better... it was the highlight of the summer... it meant the world to me! SURF'S UP   Smiley  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:15:10 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 06, 2016, 11:48:18 AM »

Smiley     Bicyclerider...Thank You for your post I found it most amusing along with the many other similar views from other Smile readers. In particular, your statement about, "Mike turning his venom on people will play well here"! I guess it's not so outlandish considering the fact that there is the "Man vs Clown" (Why I hate Mike Love) blog that has been in existence for quite some time and has hundreds of people who have posted on it! Especially when you consider over 95% of the posts are indeed people who for one reason or another... HATE MIKE LOVE! As opposed to the handful of, shall we say, PEACENICKS who say they don"t condone hatred. I wonder if those few people feel the same way about Isis, or Isle, which ever is politically correct! Please continue to post to me on Smile I look forward to it! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:15:42 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 83 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx