gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:36:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin book about The Beach Boys?  (Read 489791 times)
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 22, 2015, 12:06:14 PM »

Smiley    :)I took umbrage yesterday with a couple of people who posted nebulous stuff directed to me... or I should say... at Stephen Love. The reason I found there posts off-putting is because I... had just made a rather detailed post about the LIFESAVING EFFORTS of Stephen, while manager of the Beach Boys as well as Brian's personal manager, and all a couple of knuckleheads had to post were some negative comments! One in particular insinuated that Stephen had  ill motives... towards Brian! The entire thrust of my post yesterday was to MAKE PEOPLE AWARE that Marilyn called Stephen...no one else... before she took DRASTIC action to ensure  her kids safety! Stephen, as I stated, pleaded with Marilyn to give him a CHANCE to SAVE Brian from being COMMITTED to a MENTAL INSTITUION!!! What part of this don't you understand?   Smiley  Smiley  Smiley          
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:22:03 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 22, 2015, 12:16:34 PM »

Smiley     In regards to "WIPEOUT" I would like to point out that were it not for the actions of Stephen Love, former business manager of the Beach Boys and Brian's personal manager, Brian Wilson's music would not have come back to life. The past 36 years of his songs would simply not exist! No artist, yet, has recorded music while being committed... that I know of? Stephen's NO DRUGS IN BRIAN'S LIFE... ULTIMATUM and SEVERELY ENFORCED POLICY... kept Brian from being committed...and made this possible! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:22:40 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 22, 2015, 12:30:02 PM »

Smiley   WIPEOUT" is your chance to find out how the  Beach Boys really rose to long-term prominence, and why Brian Wilson, whose 'Pet Sounds' Beatle Sir Paul McCartney played to his children as a private music education, was able to RECOVER and write more of the songs we continue to enjoy today, including the album "SMILE", Brian's long awaited swan song masterpiece that took 35 tears to complete and almost didn't get made!!!   Smiley  Smiley  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:23:21 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 22, 2015, 12:43:06 PM »

I took umbrage yesterday with a couple of people who posted nebulous stuff directed to me... or I should say... at Stephen Love. The reason I found there posts off-putting is because I... had just made a rather detailed post about the LIFESAVING EFFORTS of Stephen, while manager of the Beach Boys as well as Brian's personal manager, and all a couple of knuckleheads had to post were some negative comments! One in particular insinuated that Stephen had  ill motives... towards Brian! The entire thrust of my post yesterday was to make PEOPLE AWARE that Marylin called Stephen...no one else... before she took DRASTIC action to ensure  her kids safety! Stephen, as I stated, pleaded with Marylin to give him a CHANCE to SAVE Brian from being COMMITTED to a MENTAL INSTITUION!!! WHAT PART OF THIS DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND.....
Hi Rocky,
I don't think that I misunderstand your post. I just think that maybe Marilyn's idea may have been a good one. "Mental Institution" is not a term with positive connotations; the term "residential treatment program" is synonymous and has less baggage. Either way, there are many that may have been able to help Mr. Wilson with his addiction as well as his underlying mental health issues. 
A few people have asked about you working on music with Brian Wilson and that experience.
Is that something you'd like to discuss?
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 22, 2015, 12:54:14 PM »

No artist, yet, has recorded music while being committed... that I know of?

Daniel Johnston is a famous example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2jU0Rzq9kQ
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 22, 2015, 01:59:52 PM »

Smiley    Daniel Johnston... well we all know who that is! I do appreciate you finding someone who has recorded music from an Institution... could you share some of his songs with us... the Genre...anything to enlighten us? Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:24:01 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 22, 2015, 02:08:59 PM »

Hey Rocky - with the benefit of some now 40 years of hindsight, is there anything you personally would have done differently re Brian's care and handling Dennis's behaviour? 

cheers - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 22, 2015, 02:19:31 PM »

Daniel Johnston... well we all know who that is! I do appreciate you finding someone who has recorded music from an Institution... could you share some of his songs with us... the Genre...anything to enlighten us?

That would be Daniel Historical Johnston
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 22, 2015, 03:17:46 PM »

Smiley   With the benefit of hindsight... would I do anything different? What a question... Is there  anyone on the PLANET that can honestly say... NO I WOULD NOT DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT...  Roll Eyes One thing I would not do different... would be ... WHEN BRIAN CALLED ME UP SIX MONTHS, to the day ironically, AFTER I NO LONGER WORKED FOR HIM... AND SAID "HEY BIG DADDY" WHAT'S HAPPENING.... and I said who is this... to which he said... "BIG DADDY" WHAT'S GOING ON...   ...   ... (after a moment) I said... Brian?... he said yeah... what are ya doing... I said... I didn't think you were talking to me... he said... I'm calling you aren't I... why don't you come over I'm partying...(after reeling from disbelieve) I said ... are you on Greentree? he said yeah get your butt over here I got a cold one for ya...to which I replied... is that a cold shoulder... or a cold  beer... Brian let out one of his famous belly laughs... that only he could do... I had no doubt it was him then... as AMAZED as I was... and as excited as I was... I said I gotta take a shower... he shot back... I gotta jacuzzi... I said give me five... he said don't give me no jive... I said if I'm lying I'm dying... he hung up!!! I immediately called Stan, at his house in Laguna, and told him... to which he said... you'r fucking kidding me? I said... I SWEAR TO GOD... get your ass up here... I'll see ya at Brian's... Stan say's... he doesn't call me... I'll see ya in an hour!!! I was at Brian's pad in a flash...THAT'S ONE THING I WOULD'NT DO DIFFERENTLY... When I got there  he was outside in the driveway waiting for me with a cold one in one hand, he was drinking, and a cold one in the other hand for me... COORS... ONLY BRIAN!!! I spent the entire day there with Brian... Stan showed up in an hour... and we had a BLAST... playing piano and singing songs together... and laughing our asses off... Carolyn, the live in nurse, barbecued burgers out back by the jacussi for us... and ASIDE FROM THE BEER DRINKING (which I only did with Brian that one time... because it JUST DID NOT FEEL RIGHT) it was as if we had just seen each other yesterday! To know more you'll just have to read 'WIPEOUT" when it comes out... but I can tell you this... you wont believe what happened next week end when ... Brian showed up in my driveway in his powder blue caddy... Smiley  Smiley  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:24:33 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 22, 2015, 04:53:15 PM »

So...that's a no?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: December 22, 2015, 05:40:12 PM »

So ya went out drinkin' with the guy who wasn't supposed to have any drink or drugs?  So all of that previous testosterone overflow was just an 'exercise' for Marilyn?  It didn't really matter 'cause you felt it OK to do the exact same thing yourself?  Groovy.  You're the best Rockles.

Will this book come in rolls? Roll Eyes

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Uncle Jesse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 22, 2015, 07:13:10 PM »

With the benefit of hindsight... would I do anything different? What a question... Is there  anyone on the PLANET that can honestly say... NO I WOULD NOT DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT...  Roll Eyes One thing I would not do different... would be ... WHEN BRIAN CALLED ME UP SIX MONTHS, to the day ironically, AFTER I NO LONGER WORKED FOR HIM... AND SAID "HEY BIG DADDY" WHAT'S HAPPENING.... and I said who is this... to which he said... "BIG DADDY" WHAT'S GOING ON...   ...   ... (after a moment) I said... Brian?... he said yeah... what are ya doing... I said... I didn't think you were talking to me... he said... I'm calling you aren't I... why don't you come over I'm partying...(after reeling from disbelieve) I said ... are you on greentree? he said yeah get your butt over here I got a cold one for ya...to which I replied... is that a cold shoulder... or a cold  beer... Brian let out one of his famous belly laughs... that only he could do... I had no doubt it was him then... as AMAZED as I was... and as excited as I was... I said I gotta take a shower... he shot back... I gotta jacuzzi... I said give me five... he said don't give me no jive... I said if I'm lying I'm dying... he hung up!!! I immediately called Stan, at his house in Laguna, and told him... to which he said... you'r fucking kidding me? I said... I SWEAR TO GOD... get your ass up here... I'll see ya at Brian's... Stan say's... he doesn't call me... I'll see ya in an hour!!! I was at Brian's pad in a flash...THAT'S ONE THING I WOULD'NT DO DIFFERENTLY... When I got there  he was outside in the driveway waiting for me with a cold one in one hand, he was drinking, and a cold one in the other hand for me... COORS... ONLY BRIAN!!! I spent the entire day there with Brian... Stan showed up in an hour... and we had a BLAST... playing piano and singing songs together... and laughing our asses off... Carolyn, the live in nurse, barbecued burgers out back by the jacussi for us... and aside from the beer drinking... it was as if we had just seen each other yesterday! To know more you'll just have to read 'WIPEOUT" when it comes out... but I can tell you this... you wont believe what happened next week when end ... when he showed up in my driveway in his powder blue caddy...

"You won't believe what happened next..."

Is this all just advertisement for your book? Well I don't care what happens next, nor do I care about your book.

What I do care to know is if you could go back in time, Rocky, would you try to save Dennis just like you apparently saved Brian?

"Have mmmmeeeerrrcccyyyy!" - Dennis Wilson
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 23, 2015, 06:52:02 AM »

I hope Rocky Pamplin's book is written with random capitalizations and elipsis after every sentence.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #363 on: December 23, 2015, 07:43:53 AM »

So, Rocky, while you were on the job, did you ever hear any outstanding work by Brian, the kind of stuff that went beyond what ended up on released albums at the time?

Bump.
kermit27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 23, 2015, 08:25:05 AM »

Daniel Johnston... well we all know who that is! I do appreciate you finding someone who has recorded music from an Institution... could you share some of his songs with us... the Genre...anything to enlighten us?

Well, that was...aggressively hostile. You asked, he answered.

*I* know who Daniel Johnston is.  Respected singer song writer with mental problems. I have heard many covers of his work.  There was a documentary about him a few years ago.   Just because you don't know him, Rocky, doesn't mean you should be rude about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Johnston
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 23, 2015, 03:52:26 PM »

To all...MERRY CHRISTMAS! ... and happy reading... and posting! Just a little footnote ...someone criticized my spelling... and my use of dot dot dot.. police. and then they talk about rudeness. Evil I don't know maybe they went to Harvard and graduated top of your class... and just absolutely HAVE to tell others their MISTAKES and CORRECT them...I would rather YOU just digest the material and save your NEGATIVITY  for the TRASH...  that's where it goes faster than you can say...ME...ME...ME! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!  Love
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 09:23:09 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: December 23, 2015, 03:54:07 PM »

Well, that was...aggressively hostile. You asked, he answered.

*I* know who Daniel Johnston is.  Respected singer song writer with mental problems. I have heard many covers of his work.  There was a documentary about him a few years ago.   Just because you don't know him, Rocky, doesn't mean you should be rude about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Johnston

Also a big fan of Brian, as it were.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 23, 2015, 03:58:05 PM »

To all...MERRY CHRISTMAS! ... and happy reading... and posting! Just a little footnote ...someone criticized my spelling... and my use of dot dot dot.. police. and then they talk about rudeness. Evil I don't know maybe they went to Harvard and were top of there class... and just absolutely HAVE to tell others there MISTAKES and CORRECT them...I would rather YOU just digest the material and save your NEGATIVITY  for the TRASH... because that's where it goes faster than you can say...ME...ME...ME! HAPPY HOLIDAYS!  Love

Merry Christmas Rocky!  I enjoy reading your posts, even if I don't agree with everything in them.  They are interesting and to the point.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 23, 2015, 04:18:28 PM »

Daniel Johnston isn't a household name, but he is widely considered a genius in his own right. He's often compared to Brian Wilson because they both have mental illness and an idiosyncratic, self-taught style of songwriting. Daniel got his fame as an 'outsider artist' by recording cassettes of himself singing original songs he wrote on his piano and organ, then acting as his own promoter, sharing his tapes with as many people as he could. Later, he worked with more professional musicians, while others recorded his songs. He has no hits, but some of his songs have since been used in films and commercials.

I think if Daniel can record critically-acclaimed albums while in a mental hospital, with nothing but a cassette recorder and a guitar, then it's hard to imagine Brian couldn't have achieved something similar at that time. Especially after hearing bootlegs from the late 1970s where he is alone singing on piano.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: December 23, 2015, 04:24:45 PM »

Daniel Johnston isn't a household name, but he is widely considered a genius in his own right. He's often compared to Brian Wilson because they both have mental illness and an idiosyncratic, self-taught style of songwriting. Daniel got his fame as an 'outsider artist' by recording cassettes of himself singing original songs he wrote on his piano and organ, then acting as his own promoter, sharing his tapes with as many people as he could. Later, he worked with more professional musicians, while others recorded his songs. He has no hits, but some of his songs have since been used in films and commercials.

I think if Daniel can record critically-acclaimed albums while in a mental hospital, with nothing but a cassette recorder and a guitar, then it's hard to imagine Brian couldn't have achieved something similar at that time. Especially after hearing bootlegs from the late 1970s where he is alone singing on piano.

Brian doing an album featuring just him on vocals and piano is a dream album of mine.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 23, 2015, 04:31:21 PM »

......I'm a fan of the dot too!  I could be a muti- $  for all ya" know!  Just like the workin folks!   Don't agree with all you say but!  I knew Dennis and wish I didn't know some things.  Value everyone and how they got on this ride!.......The music remember the music! My wish is we could all get together, will never happen but wouldn't it be nice. Rocky you had your day and time, this may not be your time of day..we're fans!.....
SteveMC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 26, 2015, 01:33:11 AM »

Rocky, I will def. be buying your book and all the BB books coming out. Had two questions.

1. Will you consider self-publishing on Amazon? I have a friend that does this and doesn't have to share any profits with a pub company. As you prolly know, self-promotion these days with social media, forums & etc seems pretty efficient.

2. You may have answered this but with your football background couldn't you have tackled Carl or Dennis and just slap them around a bit, why did you go for the full beat down/knockouts? Just curious about your mindset back then.

With the benefit of hindsight... would I do anything different? What a question... Is there  anyone on the PLANET that can honestly say... NO I WOULD NOT DO ANYTHING DIFFERENT...  Roll Eyes One thing I would not do different... would be ... WHEN BRIAN CALLED ME UP SIX MONTHS, to the day ironically, AFTER I NO LONGER WORKED FOR HIM... AND SAID "HEY BIG DADDY" WHAT'S HAPPENING.... and I said who is this... to which he said... "BIG DADDY" WHAT'S GOING ON...   ...   ... (after a moment) I said... Brian?... he said yeah... what are ya doing... I said... I didn't think you were talking to me... he said... I'm calling you aren't I... why don't you come over I'm partying...(after reeling from disbelieve) I said ... are you on greentree? he said yeah get your butt over here I got a cold one for ya...to which I replied... is that a cold shoulder... or a cold  beer... Brian let out one of his famous belly laughs... that only he could do... I had no doubt it was him then... as AMAZED as I was... and as excited as I was... I said I gotta take a shower... he shot back... I gotta jacuzzi... I said give me five... he said don't give me no jive... I said if I'm lying I'm dying... he hung up!!! I immediately called Stan, at his house in Laguna, and told him... to which he said... you'r fucking kidding me? I said... I SWEAR TO GOD... get your ass up here... I'll see ya at Brian's... Stan say's... he doesn't call me... I'll see ya in an hour!!! I was at Brian's pad in a flash...THAT'S ONE THING I WOULD'NT DO DIFFERENTLY... When I got there  he was outside in the driveway waiting for me with a cold one in one hand, he was drinking, and a cold one in the other hand for me... COORS... ONLY BRIAN!!! I spent the entire day there with Brian... Stan showed up in an hour... and we had a BLAST... playing piano and singing songs together... and laughing our asses off... Carolyn, the live in nurse, barbecued burgers out back by the jacussi for us... and aside from the beer drinking... it was as if we had just seen each other yesterday! To know more you'll just have to read 'WIPEOUT" when it comes out... but I can tell you this... you wont believe what happened next week when end ... when he showed up in my driveway in his powder blue caddy...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:28:09 AM by SteveMC » Logged

Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys said of Reynolds: "[He's] just about a god to me. His work is the greatest, and the Freshmen's execution is too much."
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 26, 2015, 03:07:00 AM »

@ Fear2stop.........I agree, 100%.  -----  solo, Brian at piano plus his vocals. Or, for reasons of selling........make an album, say, eight songs that way....followed by the same eight fully realised with the band.  It would show us the ssence of Brian, plus the developed songs, arrangements and sound.  Gets to the heart of BW.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 26, 2015, 09:06:44 AM »

Do we know that this person posting is actually Rocky Pamplin? I've read as many of his posts as I could before I got a headache , but I just don't know.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: December 26, 2015, 09:25:05 AM »

Do we know that this person posting is actually Rocky Pamplin? I've read as many of his posts as I could before I got a headache , but I just don't know.

I was told by someone I trust implicitly that it is him.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 83 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx