gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:47:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin book about The Beach Boys?  (Read 489888 times)
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 19, 2015, 06:57:22 AM »

The thing is we haven't heard anything from Rocky that wasn't detailed in the Gaines book already. Oh, with the exception of the fact that the drunken sots at the "yacht party" all cheered Rocky and Steve when they announced they were going to put a beat down on Dennis. Or the fact that the gluttonous Carl Wilson was spitting out cold cuts as Rocky knocked him out. Kiss his ass for more details like this? No thanks.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: December 19, 2015, 07:07:12 AM »

Way to minimalize and understate the whole 'thing' there 'Beard'.  Moralize?  Is calling an a-hole an a-hole moralizing?  Look...I'm just about ready to drop the audio link to NPP into this thread.  Why don't you just get to slammin' your noggin with the car door.

Might knock some reality into it LOL.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 19, 2015, 07:11:11 AM »

Maybe if I slammed my noggin enough times NPP might begin to sound good.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: December 19, 2015, 07:36:52 AM »

LOL Give it a whirl. LOL

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 19, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »

The thing is we haven't heard anything from Rocky that wasn't detailed in the Gaines book already. Oh, with the exception of the fact that the drunken sots at the "yacht party" all cheered Rocky and Steve when they announced they were going to put a beat down on Dennis. Or the fact that the gluttonous Carl Wilson was spitting out cold cuts as Rocky knocked him out. Kiss his ass for more details like this? No thanks.

If it is Rocky, we have the chance hear from his mouth (or fingers) and much more.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: December 19, 2015, 08:09:52 AM »

Mike's Beard - listen to "Sail Away" with Blondie on lead.  Magnificent. 

Carl would have done a magnificent job on lead as well. (Reminds me of Lahaina Aloha.)

Or, The Right Time with Al.  Real BB groove. 

Brian, Dennis, & Carl
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: December 19, 2015, 08:20:53 AM »

If it is Rocky, we have the chance hear from his mouth (or fingers) and much more.

It is him. I have it on excellent authority.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: December 19, 2015, 08:29:49 AM »

One person I really feel for is Marilyn. She had the toughest task possible in dealing with Brian back then, and yes, as a young rock star wife with kids to raise, she might have made some errors in an impossible situation.

John, this summarizes dozens of conversations that I've had with Marilyn in one sentence -- something I couldn't (and wouldn't) have done myself.  Well done mate!

Lee

The thing about Marilyn that goes right by most people is that she was so young: 16 when they married, 18 during Pet Sounds, 19 when Smile foundered. The Dutch escapade ? 24, with two children aged three and two...

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 19, 2015, 09:07:46 AM »

I agree, Marilyn does get enough sympathy and understanding.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 19, 2015, 10:54:40 AM »

One person I really feel for is Marilyn. She had the toughest task possible in dealing with Brian back then, and yes, as a young rock star wife with kids to raise, she might have made some errors in an impossible situation.

John, this summarizes dozens of conversations that I've had with Marilyn in one sentence -- something I couldn't (and wouldn't) have done myself.  Well done mate!

Lee

The thing about Marilyn that goes right by most people is that she was so young: 16 when they married, 18 during Pet Sounds, 19 when Smile foundered. The Dutch escapade ? 24, with two children aged three and two...
And 30 when this was going down.
Look, she had a really rough time of it but she also did some things that were really wrong.
As did everyone else in this story.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 10:56:46 AM by Emily » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 19, 2015, 11:02:59 AM »

f*** Rocky Pamplin and his book.
I'm not going to reward this sociopath with money for beating on the Wilsons.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 19, 2015, 12:19:14 PM »

Lee
Look, she had a really rough time of it but she also did some things that were really wrong.
Emily - the thing about Marilyn is that for about 12 years she had to have been "worn down" by all of this. Maybe since things got very chaotic when she was about 18 as Andrew says she was, during Pet Sounds.    

And, reading "between the lines" with this, she was looking at multiple responsibilities and stressors.  First, the kids, second, the husband, third, the record company exerting pressure for record production by the band, who came on deck in a big way with Wild Honey and 20/20; I find both to be very cool albums.  

So, Marilyn made (maybe with or without counsel) an "off the grid" decision.  She may have been convinced or persuaded that an "off the grid" treatment plan was, in what was perhaps judged then as to be in everyone's best interest.  The author has stated that Marilyn threatened "inpatient" treatment.  It would have rendered Brian "unavailable" to fulfill production deadlines.  People make statements when they are exasperated. We don't know the context as readers of what was written in this thread.  

No one gets out of this life without making a ton of mistakes.  Unfortunately Marilyn's "alleged" mistakes are becoming fodder for public discussion.  It is too bad.  I don't need to read the intimate details of someone's life told with soap operatic detail and her life held up to a microscope.  

And, I don't like the "curious timing" of this "release" at a time when so much positive stuff has been happening this past year, on all fronts.   What happens in Vegas should stay in Vegas.  
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:22:21 PM by filledeplage » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 19, 2015, 12:37:06 PM »

I thought that Marilyn's decision to employ Landy (and also Landy's second stint) had the blessing of BRI. Wasn't it approved via a vote that Beach Boys' concert revenue would be used to defray some of Landy's fees? So, while Marilyn might've made the initial contact with Landy, I'm not sure many (any?) were objecting to his hiring.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: December 19, 2015, 12:41:04 PM »

Best I recall it, the first stint was Marilyn's idea, the second time it was down to BRI, apparently on the basis of "well, it worked last time, kinda". Probably the worst single decision they ever made, and lord knows, they've made some shockers.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:42:12 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 19, 2015, 12:42:05 PM »

I thought that Marilyn's decision to employ Landy (and also Landy's second stint) had the blessing of BRI. Wasn't it approved via a vote that Beach Boys' concert revenue would be used to defray some of Landy's fees? So, while Marilyn might've made the initial contact with Landy, I'm not sure many (any?) were objecting to his hiring.
Sheriff - that may all be true.  I am not privy to that information.  

But, who knew that this would all be subject to the "law of diminishing returns" - it looked as though it was working initially.  

Who knew that a unethical monster was created?  

Who could have predicted that things would go so wrong?

Crystal ball anyone?   I don't have one.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 19, 2015, 12:43:26 PM »

Best I recall it, the first stint was Marilyn's idea, the second time it was down to BRI, apparently on the basis of "well, it worked last time, kinda". Probably the worst single decision they even made.

Agree. But, wasn't Marilyn's "idea" validated by BRI by it/them agreeing to fund part of Landy's fees?
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: December 19, 2015, 12:45:32 PM »

Lee
Emily - the thing about Marilyn is that for about 12 years she had to have been "worn down" by all of this. Maybe since things got very chaotic when she was about 18 as Andrew says she was, during Pet Sounds.    

And, reading "between the lines" with this, she was looking at multiple responsibilities and stressors.  First, the kids, second, the husband, third, the record company exerting pressure for record production by the band, who came on deck in a big way with Wild Honey and 20/20; I find both to be very cool albums.  

So, Marilyn made (maybe with or without counsel) an "off the grid" decision.  She may have been convinced or persuaded that an "off the grid" treatment plan was, in what was perhaps judged then as to be in everyone's best interest.  The author has stated that Marilyn threatened "inpatient" treatment.  It would have rendered Brian "unavailable" to fulfill production deadlines.  People make statements when they are exasperated. We don't know the context as readers of what was written in this thread.  

No one gets out of this life without making a ton of mistakes.  Unfortunately Marilyn's "alleged" mistakes are becoming fodder for public discussion.  It is too bad.  I don't need to read the intimate details of someone's life told with soap operatic detail and her life held up to a microscope.  

And, I don't like the "curious timing" of this "release" at a time when so much positive stuff has been happening this past year, on all fronts.   What happens in Vegas should stay in Vegas.  

Whoa, awfully conspiratorial of you pledge.  Reminds me of claims made about the similarly suspicious announcement of the release of Mike's book.  Wasn't it timed not too long after the break up of C50 and the announcement of Love & Mercy?  In fact, isn't it's release coming soon?

EoL

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 19, 2015, 12:52:14 PM »

But, who knew that this would all be subject to the "law of diminishing returns" - it looked as though it was working initially.  

filledeplage, I'm not criticizing or second guessing Marilyn's decision. Actually, I'm just saying that she wasn't "out there by herself" or acting alone. I thought I read that concert revenue was being targeted toward paying for Landy's treatment. I think that would have to be agreed upon via a vote, which, in effect says that others were agreeing with or at the very least supporting Marilyn's decision.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 19, 2015, 01:04:50 PM »

filledeplage, I'm not criticizing or second guessing Marilyn's decision. Actually, I'm just saying that she wasn't "out there by herself" or acting alone. I thought I read that concert revenue was being targeted toward paying for Landy's treatment. I think that would have to be agreed upon via a vote, which, in effect says that others were agreeing with or at the very least supporting Marilyn's decision.
Sheriff - I said "with or without counsel."  So she may well have had advice. And as to the BRI issue, I have no direct  knowledge.  It was reported that they subsidized the treatment.  

And why should they not help a fellow band member? Going back to Carl's CO issues, they pitched in to do concerts to help fulfill Carl's obligations.  It perhaps set a precedent to come to the aid of a band member who required it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 01:07:31 PM by filledeplage » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 19, 2015, 01:06:43 PM »

Lee

Whoa, awfully conspiratorial of you pledge.  Reminds me of claims made about the similarly suspicious announcement of the release of Mike's book.  Wasn't it timed not too long after the break up of C50 and the announcement of Love & Mercy?  In fact, isn't it's release coming soon?

EoL
EoL - what does a purported release of a book of a "bit player" have to do with a release of a book of a "principal" of the band? 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 19, 2015, 01:07:08 PM »

It's pretty obvious there's a whole lot of politics surrounding whom we're supposed to think good thoughts about and whom we're supposed to think bad thoughts about. And there are teams here. And you can try to avoid being on a team, but people watch what you say to see which team you're on. It's kind of creepy and stupid.
Regarding this incident, my opinion is:

first Landy hiring: stupid and careless
pamplin hiring: brutal and selfish
second landy hiring: stupid, careless, brutal and selfish.

Whoever made the decisions, or had the power to change them and didn't, can have those adjectives applied to their decision-making.

Am I judgmental? Yes.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 19, 2015, 01:12:08 PM »

It's pretty obvious there's a whole lot of politics surrounding whom we're supposed to think good thoughts about and whom we're supposed to think bad thoughts about. And there are teams here. And you can try to avoid being on a team, but people watch what you say to see which team you're on. It's kind of creepy and stupid.
Regarding this incident, my opinion is:

first Landy hiring: stupid and careless
pamplin hiring: brutal and selfish
second landy hiring: stupid, careless, brutal and selfish.

Whoever made the decisions, or had the power to change them and didn't, can have those adjectives applied to their decision-making.

Am I judgmental? Yes.
Emily - the challenge on this board is not to get sucked into the vortex of a team or faction. 

And, even if you just look at facts, and opine, someone is going to try to classify you on one team or another. 

This would have been unheard of back-in-the day.  Your father would most likely agree.  We were/are Beach Boys fans.   
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 19, 2015, 01:12:53 PM »

Sheriff - I said "with or without counsel."  So she may well have had advice. And as to the BRI issue, I have no direct  knowledge.  It was reported that they subsidized the treatment.  

And why should they not help a fellow band member? Going back to Carl's CO issues, they pitched in to do concerts to help fulfill Carl's obligations.  It perhaps set a precedence to come to the aid of a band member who required it.

They should help a fellow band member, no question about that.

My sub-point, in addition to not "blaming" Marilyn for her idea/decision, is that sometimes in the Beach Boys' world, individuals are singled out and criticized for making decisions that affect the group, positively and/or negatively, when in reality, the decision in question was discussed, voted on, and approved by others. I believe, to some extent, Marilyn's decision falls into that category.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 01:15:09 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: December 19, 2015, 01:13:02 PM »

Lee

EoL
EoL - what does a purported release of a book of a "bit player" have to do with a release of a book of a "principal" of the band? 

Pledge: how is the suspicious timing of a book release negated because the author is a principal instead of a bit player?  Maybe one is riding coat tails for money and one is doing it to re-write history, but suspicious timing is suspicious timing.  You can't poo poo one and not the other.  Well, you can, it just betrays your bias when you do.

EoL

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: December 19, 2015, 01:21:12 PM »

Reminds me of claims made about the similarly suspicious announcement of the release of Mike's book.  Wasn't it timed not too long after the break up of C50 and the announcement of Love & Mercy?  In fact, isn't it's release coming soon?

EoL

End of C50 tour - September 28th, 2012.

Love & Mercy announced - June 23rd, 2013.

Mike's book announced - 20th November 2014.

Yup, not too long after at all...

Mike's book is due for a summer 2016 publication.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 83 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx