gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:40:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin book about The Beach Boys?  (Read 489817 times)
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 17, 2015, 12:38:16 PM »

I think he needs to understand that he is one of the more infamous characters in the Beach Boys' history. I would go so far as to say that some of us hate him. Having said that I would like to hear his side of the story, such as it is.
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 17, 2015, 01:58:21 PM »

I have been asked several questions since I joined Smiley Smile...I will address some of them. First off I am curious as to who chose the websites name...Smiley Smile! For it gives the impression they are... IN THE KNOW...I could be in the wrong... I wasn't in the loop back then,,, But I think Marilyn's sister Diane Rovell may have come up with the term. When Brian didn't finish recording Smile...and retreated to bed for the next ten years...Stephen, Stan and I always encouraged Brian to revisit his earlier MASTERPIECE in the wings...Which he did some 35 years later with Musicians he hand picked... I can assure you they were all VIRTUOSO Musicians...Brian had an ear for Music that was unparalleled... EVEN Sir Paul McCartney will attest to that...as he made it known that he would love to write with Brian some day... They did rehearse some of their songs together and performed them. As far as my termination ... YES... there was talk of it in Australia after Carl said F_ _ _ You Rocky in front of David Frost and a room full of Paradine Production people...and yes Carl was DRUNK AS USUAL  and stuffing his face with cold cuts,from a service cart, that no one else was partaking of,which was what he was also doing when Stan and I first entered Mike's suite...for the HEROIN INCIDENT SHOW DOWN...Carl no sooner sees Stan and I as we walk in...when he blurts out, with a mouthful of cold cuts, I DIDN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH NO HEROIN Rocky. To which I reply...then why did Merlin,a Paradine Production employee, come to me today at the sound check and confess that Brian keeps asking him  if he will get him more HEROIN...Carl, while chewing with his mouth open and full of cold cuts,spitting bit's and pieces on anyone within three feet... slurring his words shouts...I DON'T KNOW NOTHING ABOUT NO HEROIN! I say...Yeah...well Merlin say's he gave Dennis $100 dollar bag of HEROIN you paid for Carl... to which Carl say's THAT'S A LIE... YOU CAN'T PROVE THAT...F_ _ _  HOLE......... Stan had to grab me as I was about to explode... put his arm around me and steer me over to Stephen...who said... stay cool Rocky... and sit next to me... I said, alright your the quarterback!!! Long story short... after David Frost grandstanded for an hour and a half...about what a GLORIOUS TOUR this was... and how we just couldn't send Dennis home... because the contract stipulated all five Beach Boys would perform...I then said...You know David... you asked if you could come in and talk to us for a few minutes...and all you've done for the last 90 minutes is tell us what we CAN and CAN'T do...I then picked up the phone and said...why don't I call Marilyn and ask her what she thinks about your employee procuring HEROINE,,,for Dennis... and Dennis giving some of the Heroine to Brian!!! You can't just SWEEP this HEROINE under the carpet...David! When Carl once again blurts out talk to someone else Rocky...F_ _ _ YOU!!! ... And YES...I did knock Carl out at that point...And YES... there was some discussion of sending me home...But Stephen would hear nothing of it...telling Al Jardine, then Beach Boy president,that if someone would have stood up to these guys before... Brian might not have PERMANENT BRAIN DAMAGE FROM DRUGS!!! he concluded with...it's funny Al... yesterday when you rode back to the Hotel, from the sound check, with Rocky and I... YOU WERE APPALLED   at Dennis buying HEROIN and giving some to Brian... in fact you said YOU WERE APPALLED  two different times...didn't you Al!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 10:08:03 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 17, 2015, 02:23:23 PM »

Rocky, whilst I don't condone the methods (violence) I find your posts very interesting.  There have been a lot of comments on here about the approach taken by yourself and others to keep drugs out of the Beach Boys lives but very few of us know the main protagonists in the Beach Boys story personally.  I think it is good to hear your side of the story and, anyone who knows personally the harm drugs can cause will also know that sometimes families may reluctantly agree to 'underhand' means to help their loved ones in times of desperation.

Dennis was never going to enter in a conventional detox programme, and look where Brian ended up with Landy and his unconventional methods.  Carl seemed to get 'sober' after the incident in Australia so that was at least one positive from the whole messy and horrible situation.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: December 17, 2015, 02:27:11 PM »

I have been asked several questions since I joined Smiley Smile...I will address some of them. First off I am curious as to who chose the websites name...Smiley Smile! For it gives the impression they are... IN THE KNOW...I could be in the wrong...

You are indeed. Smiley Smile was the name of The Beach Boys 1967 album, released instead of Smile: Brian's nephew Barry Turnbull came up with the title. As far as I know, the board was named by Charles le Page. But... I could be IN THE WRONG...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 17, 2015, 03:34:04 PM »

This thread makes me feel dirty...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 17, 2015, 03:52:43 PM »

Smiley Smile! I could be in the wrong... I wasn't in the loop back then,,, But I think Marilyn's sister Diane Rovell may have come up with the term. When Brian didn't finish recording Smile...and retreated to bed for the next ten years...Stephen, Stan and I always encouraged Brian to revisit his earlier MASTERPIECE in the wings...Which he did some 35 years later with Musicians he hand picked... I can assure you they were all VIRTUOSO Musicians...Brian had an ear for Music that was unparalleled... EVEN Sir Paul McCartney will attest to that...as he made it known that he would love to write with Brian some day...

It's fascinating little pearls of knowledge like this that keep me coming back to this board. You learn something new every day.

I have been asked several questions since I joined Smiley Smile...I will address some of them. First off I am curious as to who chose the websites name...Smiley Smile! For it gives the impression they are... IN THE KNOW...I could be in the wrong...

You are indeed. Smiley Smile was the name of The Beach Boys 1967 album, released instead of Smile: Brian's nephew Barry Turnbull came up with the title. As far as I know, the board was named by Charles le Page. But... I could be IN THE WRONG...

You know, I bet Andrew wouldn't mind if you went ahead and used this little nugget or two in the book, FoC, as long as it source is properly acknowledged. Every little helps… though I COULD BE … in the WRONG…

Kinda feeling that way too… keep thinking of that old Charles Atlas advert with the jock beefcake kicking sand in the little guy's face… …

“We live in divisive times.”
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: December 17, 2015, 03:53:39 PM »

And this board was an off-shoot of the Smile Shop. Smile Shop-> Smiley Smile, kind of like who the album morphed into SS.

Didn't not know that about the album title, though...learn something new every day!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 17, 2015, 04:08:26 PM »

I find it interesting that Mr.Pamplin, in addition to having a problem with his temper, also has a spelling problem. In order to make his case he has to make most of the Beach Boys look bad (Carl not only said f*** you to the virile Rocky but he also has the bad  habit of spitting cold cuts when excited, Al is appalled one minute but not the next etc.).It seems to me you could've kept Brian away from heroin by never leaving him alone and also having someone keeping a close eye on Dennis. Maybe it's just 20/20 hindsight.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 17, 2015, 04:10:57 PM »

Yeah, and those segments in the Gaines book kind of hit me the same way. At the end of the day, apart from the first person description we've heard this sorry episode before in Gaines.

With Mike's book coming out next year, and Brian's coming out the following year, wonder if a publisher will take a chance and sandwich Rocky's thesis between the two. I say thesis because he's a man of letters. Capital letters.  Smokin

Everything I've ever read about the Aussie tour makes it seem like it must have been extremely uncomfortable and unsettling to be there. Imagine being in that crew. What a downer.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 17, 2015, 04:11:57 PM »

For what term did Al serve as president?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: December 17, 2015, 04:38:27 PM »

For what term did Al serve as president?

A short term

*rimshot*

Thanks, I'm here all week, try the veal

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 17, 2015, 04:46:55 PM »

When do tickets go on sale for your stand up act? LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 17, 2015, 05:14:03 PM »

Can't we just listen without all of the drama and snark?  Being polite and listening isn't condoning anything.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 17, 2015, 05:37:32 PM »

Rocky, did you get the sense that the Wilsons felt guilty and sorry about doing drugs? Do you think that they felt that they sort of deserved the level of life-management you provided because they had failed to control themselves?
Also, in the "heroin incident showdown" described above, what were the other active beach boys (Mike Love at least) doing at that time? Were they also present?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 05:43:50 PM by Emily » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 17, 2015, 07:06:26 PM »

Can't we just listen without all of the drama and snark?  Being polite and listening isn't condoning anything.

Nah. Rocky is a massive piece of sh*t. Unlike nearly every other person in The Beach Boys story (besides Landy) he doesn't deserve any of our respect. Plus he apparently can't spell or form sentences despite the fact that he's been on the planet for sixty-plus years.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 17, 2015, 10:38:26 PM »

Nah. Rocky is a massive piece of sh*t. Unlike nearly every other person in The Beach Boys story (besides Landy) he doesn't deserve any of our respect. Plus he apparently can't spell or form sentences despite the fact that he's been on the planet for sixty-plus years.

It's not the best advert for the book, is it!

“We live in divisive times.”
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: December 17, 2015, 10:48:54 PM »

Rocket J Pomplamoose...  Do you not accept ANY responsibilty for opening up the drug pipeline TO Brian by spending all of that time when you SHOULD have been standing guard but instead allowed yourself to 'hibernate' in bed...with his wife?

You are just a joke.  You have no moral compass and you have NO right to be passing judgement on Dennis, Carl, Brian or anyone.  As a human being you are a failure.  Don't waste your time with trying to cobble together promotion for some kind of 'book'.  Unless it's called 'I'm A Complete and Utter Asshole' it won't have ANY credibility.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 11:00:35 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 17, 2015, 10:50:41 PM »

First off I am curious as to who chose the websites name...Smiley Smile! For it gives the impression they are... IN THE KNOW...I could be in the wrong... I wasn't in the loop back then,,, But I think Marilyn's sister Diane Rovell may have come up with the term.

If you had no idea that the Beach Boys released an album called Smiley Smile in 1967, then what else did 'Smiley Smile' refer to?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 17, 2015, 11:18:18 PM »

I was waiting for this thread to turn ugly. It lasted for 8 whole pages. Impressive.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 18, 2015, 12:15:19 AM »

I just wanted to say that, while I normally disagree with absolutely everything you have to say, I think that this is right on, and I felt much the same when Lorren Daro was here.  It's important and interesting to hear about events from lots of different perspectives, even if you find some of them contemptible.

Guys, you don't need to rush out to hang Mr Pamplin.  He has plenty enough rope to do it himself.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: December 18, 2015, 01:43:17 AM »

The problem with Daro, aside from being vile towards Marilyn, was that every time someone challenged his story, it changed.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 18, 2015, 03:19:02 AM »

Civility and patience and allowances on our parts for our guests' memory and internet voice and thumb typing skills might be in order. Speaking as a grandpa, is this the way we would treat our grandpa if I, I mean they, were trying to express themselves on a message board?

Jeez, let people talk, we don't have to confront and/or insult them on every point. It would be nice if they could be allowed to settle in and tell their side of the story before being flogged by us with insult and corrections.

Also hug your grandmas and grandpas if you can.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 18, 2015, 03:34:22 AM »

Civility and patience and allowances on our parts for our guests' memory and internet voice and thumb typing skills might be in order. Speaking as a grandpa, is this the way we would treat our grandpa if I, I mean they, were trying to express themselves on a message board?

My grandfathers are both dead, but if either of them had ever thought it a good idea to go on message boards and boast about the times they and their friends physically assaulted drug addicts who were in a weak physical and mental state (but only when they outnumbered the addicts so it wouldn't have been a fair fight even if they were clean), and to do that specifically on message boards for people who were fans of the people who had been beaten up, I'd at the very least tell them it was a bad idea.

Pamplin is not *more* deserving of courtesy than anyone else. He certainly deserves not to have his typing or spelling skills mocked. But his justifications for assaulting Dennis (and *especially* his justifications for assaulting Carl) don't deserve any respect at all. He is describing, and glorying in, thuggish, abusive, behaviour.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
JasonK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 18, 2015, 03:35:34 AM »

I agree.  Let the guy tell his story without taking shots at him.  Would you rather not hear any of this?  I doubt it, or you wouldn't be coming back to the thread.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 18, 2015, 04:13:14 AM »

I agree.  Let the guy tell his story without taking shots at him.  Would you rather not hear any of this?  I doubt it, or you wouldn't be coming back to the thread.

Voices of reason.

I hope Rocky keeps posting here.  This is the most interesting thing to happen on this board in ages.  Looking forward to hearing more, Rocky.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 83 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx