gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:56:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin book about The Beach Boys?  (Read 489910 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2015, 12:21:36 AM »

I knew that he already had a problem. I was just pointing out that the Beach Boys In Concert book seems to indicate that Carl's condition hit "rock bottom" after the assault took place.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2015, 01:16:45 AM »

Seems his pro football career was less than stellar. Drafted by the Saints in 1971 (239th overall, 5th in 10th round), he never played an NFL game for them. The claim that he played in the CFL for Montreal isn't supported by any evidence other than the Gaines book. In fact, the Montreal rosters from 1972-1986 don't include anyone called Pamplin, so looks like he never played pro football at the highest level (or even the WFL...) in North America at all.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2015, 01:40:17 AM »

Might have missed if this was asked thus far, but did Mr. Pablum remain in the employ of the band after this incident? 

THAT is the question. After Pamplin decked Carl, did Carl's brothers - Brian Wilson AND Dennis Wilson - demand that Pamplin be dismissed?

The Gaines Book has it that Dennis was pissed but “was not prepared for a physical confrontation and stayed away from Rocky and Stan as he could”.

I would assume Brian was equally sh*t-scared and doubly out of it to take affirmative action, just my thoughts.

The man who, basically, ignored it all and pretty much demanded the tour continue was the promoter - one David P. Frost.

The Gaines book again, and take it with ye grain o'preference, would have it that David Frost “coolly” (no pun) told Rocky “You’re the one who should leave town” post punch and other fracas.

Did someone & who tape the incident - it's seemingly richly recounted in H&V, I'm assuming yes.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2015, 02:18:08 AM »

The Gaines book again, and take it with ye grain o'preference, would have it that David Frost “coolly” (no pun) told Rocky “You’re the one who should leave town” post punch and other fracas.

Did someone & who tape the incident - it's seemingly richly recounted in H&V, I'm assuming yes.

No-one had to tape anything: the main source for the Gaines book was present.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2015, 04:42:07 AM »

Might have missed if this was asked thus far, but did Mr. Pablum remain in the employ of the band after this incident? 

THAT is the question. After Pamplin decked Carl, did Carl's brothers - Brian Wilson AND Dennis Wilson - demand that Pamplin be dismissed?

The Gaines Book has it that Dennis was pissed but “was not prepared for a physical confrontation and stayed away from Rocky and Stan as he could”.

I would assume Brian was equally sh*t-scared and doubly out of it to take affirmative action, just my thoughts.

I wouldn't expect any PHYSICAL retaliation from Dennis or Brian. There are other ways to dismiss someone, especially if you're Dennis Wilson and especially if you're Brian Wilson. It appears they did nothing to defend their brother Carl, and it was actually Marilyn Wilson who dismissed Pamplin a year later.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2015, 05:33:16 AM »

Whew. Pretty weaselly, even for you.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2015, 08:23:48 AM »

Whew. Pretty weaselly, even for you.
He has a point, which can be spun in different ways. The Wilson brothers all, at one time or another, demonstrated a distressing inability to defend themselves or stand up for themselves, as a group or as individuals. It's startling sometimes how powerless one's psyche can render someone despite all the trappings of power.
But it seems at times that they were so used to abuse that they had no sense that they could stop it; even when they were millionaire rock stars. Unfortunately, they were involved with people who used this weakness to try to control, dominate and exploit them and all three endured a lot of brutality.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2015, 09:06:55 AM »

I always felt that this was one of the ugliest incidents in the BB's personal history. When I first read about it in the Gaines book I really didn't believe it, the fact that an employee could hit a member of the band and get away with it. I have a hard time picturing this happening to the Stones or the Who. But this was Beach Boy land where the rules of logic don't apply. I'm sure that Pamplin and Stan(to a lesser degree) couldn't believe their luck when they became bodyguards for this crew of wimps. And lets face it, I love these guys but, that's what they are. When Steve Love relates this story he says that Carl's comment to Pamplin was made around "real men". Maybe around the Wilsons' and the world of show business they were "real men" but not in the real world. In this world the Loves' do fancy themselves as tough guys. Stan , the bodyguard was 6'9" and a string bean, Mike 5'10" and skinny most of his adult life. Steve Love, I guess he got tough with Blondie Chaplin, what a stud. I really think that the Loves' at best resent the Wilsons', at worst they hate them. To this day Mike laughing about the beating that Dennis got in 1981 and Steve marveling at the perfect haymaker that took down that cage fighter Carl Wilson. If karma exists then maybe both Pamplin and Stan will get what's coming to them from some genuinely bad-ass Wilson brothers fans.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2015, 10:55:27 AM »

It is unreal that Pamplin didn't get an instant dismissal.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2015, 11:09:43 AM »

Who in the organization was going to fire him? I'm sure when they saw what he was capable of , they were all afraid of him. I haven't read the Gaines book in a while, who eventually did can him?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2015, 11:45:49 AM »

It's easy.  "Saw yer pic there Rocky.  Sorry.  Yer too tiny to be a body guard.  Off ya go.  Bye now."  

Whoever hired him should have been dismissed too.  His 'action' must have been condoned.  THAT person should have been tossed as well.  Only 'sucks', pretenders and bullies beat up on the little fellas...the easy prey.  Contrary to the physical evidence...ol' Rocky had no 'pills'.  Don't need that kind of 1/2 miler around when the going gets tough.

Oh and Mike ain't 5:10.  He's still a inch or 2 over 6 feet.  You get older...your frame shrinks a bit.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 11:47:27 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2015, 02:34:53 PM »

I stood toe to toe with Mike back in '81. I'm 6'1" and was a good 2-3 inches taller( and I have the photo to prove it). However that really wasn't the point: Mike wasn't a tough guy before, then or now , regardless of what he thinks. He's just a guy with a bad temper who practices TM.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2015, 09:40:54 PM »

No-one had to tape anything: the main source for the Gaines book was present.

Thanks, AGD - just curious as the story in H&V is recounted in some detail (lengthy quotes, words relaying specific tone), and made me think it was transcribed versus eye witness recollection.  Who was the source, if you can say (I have 3 names in mind) - cheers - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2015, 11:48:53 PM »

So is the story that the "heroin incident" was secretly taped not true?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2015, 12:41:50 PM »

Historically, the deepest secrets are kept for the longest time. They take the longest to surface. It has taken three and a half decades for the collective unconscious to be ready to hear the shadows point of view.
The music business is fickle and cruel, to say the least, and then there are the voices Brian Wilson hears in his head...

In my book "WIPEOUT'" It is replete with rather racy recollections of movie and rock stars, rich people, and royalty. It is a story of deceit and betrayal, the excesses of ego, where greed and jealousy run riot and family members are fair game. Brian Wilson, the ever fragile golden goose, is fleeced again and again by his rapacious first cousin, Mike Love, who later turns his poisonous venom on his younger brother and then Beach Boys manager, Stephen.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2015, 12:55:53 PM »

For our book The Beach Boys In Concert I personally conducted many interviews and much of the stuff in Gaines was indeed confirmed.  In terms of that incident I quote musician Sterling Smith in the book.  He was on that tour and relates the story of how he came to work the day after that infamous meeting and saw Carl being heavily made up to cover his black eye as the BBs were to appear on TV that night.   And-in the book what I stated was that Carl was given painkillers and this contributed to his slurred appearance in the footage filmed at Melbourne that makes the rounds.  The really bad night in Perth happened a week later and is only available on audio.  I didn't say that the tour led to his bottoming out-as he was already in bad shape-but the behind the scenes crap going on that time would drive almost anyone to drink!!! So Carl deserves a free pass on that tour (by the way-almost his only public misstep in a 30+ year career!!! Pretty damn good)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2015, 01:04:15 PM »

Historically, the deepest secrets are kept for the longest time. They take the longest to surface. It has taken three and a half decades for the collective unconscious to be ready to hear the shadows point of view.
The music business is fickle and cruel, to say the least, and then there are the voices Brian Wilson hears in his head...

In my book "WIPEOUT'" It is replete with rather racy recollections of movie and rock stars, rich people, and royalty. It is a story of deceit and betrayal, the excesses of ego, where greed and jealousy run riot and family members are fair game. Brian Wilson, the ever fragile golden goose, is fleeced again and again by his rapacious first cousin, Mike Love, who later turns his poisonous venom on his younger brother and then Beach Boys manager, Stephen.

Heh. If this *is* Rocky Pamplin, I have to have a tiny bit of admiration for his guts in showing up here, in this thread, after what's been said about him.

Only a tiny bit, though.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2015, 01:05:42 PM »

Brian Wilson, the ever fragile golden goose, is fleeced again and again by his rapacious first cousin, Mike Love, who later turns his poisonous venom on his younger brother and then Beach Boys manager, Stephen.

I was wondering when you'd turn up! So, any sneak peeks at what kind of venom you're talking about here.

This thread is gonna go realllly fucking weird now.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 01:12:26 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2015, 01:19:30 PM »

amen Ontor..........oh Mods, this is going to go south very fast.....
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2015, 01:40:22 PM »

Tales of Mike Love turning his venom on people will certainly play well here, let's hear more!
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2015, 01:44:07 PM »

Where is your "Wipeout" book availability? Please share a link here
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2015, 01:45:17 PM »

Rocky please share some of the things we will get to read about!

Do you still "see" Marilyn once in a while? heh  Grin
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2015, 02:05:31 PM »

Looks like sh*t just got interesting......

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2015, 02:25:34 PM »

Lorren Daro redux ?

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2015, 03:29:09 PM »

I suggest that if you want him to post and answer some questions that you not immediately insult him.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 83 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx