gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:36:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin book about The Beach Boys?  (Read 489922 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2015, 10:23:33 AM »

Even if you’re inclined to not immediately be defensive of Carl being punched, even if Carl was just some random guy, Pamplin *still* comes across like a douche in the story. Maybe he was a big tough guy, but punching and knocking out some guy who’s drunk and strung out on heavy drugs isn’t the most challenging thing in the world.

Not defending Pamplin's actions by any means, but Carl's behaviour had just nearly tanked an entire tour. To then get drunk and abusive when confronted may have been the proverbial straw.

But here's the thing....

The Beach Boys were the employers of these pieces of sh*t. Therefore Rocky Pamplin punched one his employers in the face. So you or he or Steve Love can defend it 'til the cows come home, but what he did ain't right.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2015, 11:04:01 AM »

Curious, Steve and Mike are estranged, I believe. But what about Steve and Stan? And Mike and Stan?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2015, 12:00:47 PM »

Even if you’re inclined to not immediately be defensive of Carl being punched, even if Carl was just some random guy, Pamplin *still* comes across like a douche in the story. Maybe he was a big tough guy, but punching and knocking out some guy who’s drunk and strung out on heavy drugs isn’t the most challenging thing in the world.

Not defending Pamplin's actions by any means, but Carl's behaviour had just nearly tanked an entire tour. To then get drunk and abusive when confronted may have been the proverbial straw.

But here's the thing....

The Beach Boys were the employers of these pieces of sh*t. Therefore Rocky Pamplin punched one his employers in the face. So you or he or Steve Love can defend it 'til the cows come home, but what he did ain't right.

Highlighted for your convenience.  Grin
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 12:01:57 PM by Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2015, 12:24:26 PM »

Might have missed if this was asked thus far, but did Mr. Pablum remain in the employ of the band after this incident? 
This dude and Stain Love sound like bullies and jack axes.  Somebody in that room should have retaliated; a table lamp or some other room furnishing is perfectly acceptable in such circumstances (IMO) to clonk such a creep in the head. 
 Smiley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2015, 12:58:29 PM »

Might have missed if this was asked thus far, but did Mr. Pablum remain in the employ of the band after this incident? 

THAT is the question. After Pamplin decked Carl, did Carl's brothers - Brian Wilson AND Dennis Wilson - demand that Pamplin be dismissed?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2015, 01:55:56 PM »

This dude and Stain Love sound like bullies and jack axes.  Somebody in that room should have retaliated; a table lamp or some other room furnishing is perfectly acceptable in such circumstances (IMO) to clonk such a creep in the head. 
 Smiley

Did the Carl punching incident happen before or after the infamous drunken Good Vibrations performance (and subsequent apology interview conducted in a hotel)?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2015, 02:03:12 PM »

But here's the thing....

Got it. But if you're not "defending" his actions, then exactly what is the point of pointing out Carl's actions and how they related to the tour? And since Rocky was basically just a goon who was hired to follow Brian, wouldn't that mean whether the tour went off or not wouldn't have any effect on his employment? Therefore, who is he to be punching anybody, especially a principal member of the group who is leading the tour? That would be like me being hired to go on tour with Mike and Bruce's band to make sure Jeff Foskett didn't eat the whole pre-show buffet every night. But then I see Bruce Johnston harassing an Obama supporter because it's their fault he has higher taxes. And I proceed to punch Bruce in the face. That would be me overstepping the bounds of what I was hired to do, and basically disrespecting my employer.

So basically my point is, who gives a sh*t what Carl did on that tour, vis-à-vis Rocky. If Mike Love or the promoter or whoever punched Carl, then I could see the reasoning behind bringing it up. But bringing it up, even if it's not in defense of Rocky sure seems a little curious.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2015, 02:17:58 PM »

I feel like even if the Wilsons complained about Rocky, Mike Love and his goon brothers would have ignored it. The BBs had grown beyond a simple band into a cold calculated business run by Steve Love.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2015, 02:32:23 PM »

The man who, basically, ignored it all and pretty much demanded the tour continue was the promoter - one David P. Frost.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2015, 04:41:03 PM »

I would not read a tabloid piece of crap by someone that was a big part of the Beach Boys lives let alone a blip in the scheme of things. I didn't even keep my Gains book due to too much nonsense. I'm supposed to give a rats ass about some goof that punched a man 35 years ago that has been dead for 17?! Go back to your tv you are missing the Kardashians.
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2015, 04:55:13 PM »

I would not read a tabloid piece of crap by someone that was a big part of the Beach Boys lives let alone a blip in the scheme of things. I didn't even keep my Gains book due to too much nonsense. I'm supposed to give a rats ass about some goof that punched a man 35 years ago that has been dead for 17?! Go back to your tv you are missing the Kardashians.

And the names Brian, Dennis and Carl Wilson (and all they accomplished) will stretch into the future, while Ropey Pablum was never really known for anything worth while to begin with and never will be.   In fact, what was this thread about again? 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2015, 05:53:19 PM »

That would be like me being hired to go on tour with Mike and Bruce's band to make sure Jeff Foskett didn't eat the whole pre-show buffet every night. But then I see Bruce Johnston harassing an Obama supporter because it's their fault he has higher taxes. And I proceed to punch Bruce in the face.

In reality, I would completely disapprove; in hypothetical-land, this scenario cracks me up.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2015, 06:20:55 PM »

I'd read it if I could loan it from someone or the library. I'm certainly not going to put money in his pocket.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2015, 06:42:46 PM »

THAT is the question. After Pamplin decked Carl, did Carl's brothers - Brian Wilson AND Dennis Wilson - demand that Pamplin be dismissed?

They visited Brian in the hospital with the sole purpose of getting their jobs back. Brian told them to piss off.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
ChicagoAnn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2015, 07:27:46 PM »

Gaines quoted Pamplin quite a bit in his book. In almost every quote Pamplin showed himself to be a dull and ugly person. Based alone on his attitude about beating up Dennis, which he seemed to think completely justified, he gives a sense of what kind of person he is.

I haven't read the Gaines book in quite a while, but I can't erase Pamplin's demeaning comments about his affair with Marilyn. It was hard to believe he had so little ability to self-reflect that he couldn't recognize he was coming off as a complete tool. Gaines gave him plenty of rope to hang himself. I'd like to think Gaines got that Rocky was a pr*ck, but it was hard to tell in the text. It was salacious and nasty, so of course it was included. But speaking as a female. Pamplin showed he was no gentleman.

His "book" (which no doubt is "as told to" since dude only has a few sentences he can string together) would probably be a fascinating memoir of a idiot-narcissist, and for that reason alone, I'd read it.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2015, 07:30:24 PM »

Gaines quoted Pamplin quite a bit in his book. In almost every quote Pamplin showed himself to be a dull and ugly person. Based alone on his attitude about beating up Dennis, which he seemed to think completely justified, he gives a sense of what kind of person he is.

I haven't read the Gaines book in quite a while, but I can't erase Pamplin's demeaning comments about his affair with Marilyn. It was hard to believe he had so little ability to self-reflect that he couldn't recognize he was coming off as a complete tool. Gaines gave him plenty of rope to hang himself. I'd like to think Gaines got that Rocky was a pr*ck, but it was hard to tell in the text. It was salacious and nasty, so of course it was included. But speaking as a female. Pamplin showed he was no gentleman.

His "book" (which no doubt is "as told to" since dude only has a few sentences he can string together) would probably be a fascinating memoir of a idiot-narcissist, and for that reason alone, I'd read it.
I remember that. He seems truly hideous.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2015, 08:57:07 PM »

But here's the thing....

Got it. But if you're not "defending" his actions, then exactly what is the point of pointing out Carl's actions and how they related to the tour?
So basically my point is, who gives a sh*t what Carl did on that tour, vis-à-vis Rocky. If Mike Love or the promoter or whoever punched Carl, then I could see the reasoning behind bringing it up. But bringing it up, even if it's not in defense of Rocky sure seems a little curious.

The point was to provide some background information leading up to Carl getting slugged. None of the Wilson brothers should have been out on the road in '78 - they were a mess, but yes Pamplin overstepped his bounds by hitting Carl. If he didn't like the situation he should have quit.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2015, 09:49:58 PM »

Shiiiiiiit......lol!!!!!     who here wouldn't read this sh*t?       Suck it down with a cold one!        Absorb what you wish......assimilate and accommodate and toss out the rest........you just know there is so much more to the story....you just have to sort it out........don't you?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2015, 10:29:42 PM »

Bearing in mind that it already seems that there'll be more about Carl in this book than there is in the actual biography of Carl, I may just give it a whirl, if Staincorth library gets a copy.

(I also like ChicagoAnn's reasoning to read the thing)

“We live in divisive times.”
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2015, 10:50:11 PM »

Just noticed that Pamplin played for my hometown team, the Montreal Allouettes of the CFL.. Don't recall him at all

Make waves, not love
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2015, 01:12:28 AM »

I still find it comical that a Beach Boys biography could contain the “safe” half of a Playgirl centerfold.

Fans of the "unsafe" half (and "good-looking 1970s men") can buy the mag here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Playgirl-Magazine-May-1976-Featuring-Rock-Pamplin-In-Centerfold-/191133486599     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2015, 02:05:23 AM »

Bearing in mind that it already seems that there'll be more about Carl in this book than there is in the actual biography of Carl, I may just give it a whirl, if Staincorth library gets a copy.

LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2015, 04:12:06 AM »

Curious, Steve and Mike are estranged, I believe. But what about Steve and Stan? And Mike and Stan?

Don't know, but there was a news article about Brian attending one of Kevin Love's games awhile back. Seem to recall he sat next to Stan.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2015, 11:51:32 PM »

Smiley

Did the Carl punching incident happen before or after the infamous drunken Good Vibrations performance (and subsequent apology interview conducted in a hotel)?
The recent "In Concert" book has the "heroin incident" happening a few days before the infamous Perth show. Actually, the book seems to indicate the incident was the direct cause of Carl's quick decline into alcohol for the rest of the Australian tour.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2015, 12:12:14 AM »

Um... Carl had a growing problem with both the bottle and horse some months before the band went to Australia in early 1978. If anything, said tour (and the footage of it) spurred him to clean up his act.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 83 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx