gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:29:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin book about The Beach Boys?  (Read 489800 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2015, 09:07:50 AM »

Please don’t judge me for how I spend my spare time, but I just looked up Rocky Pamplin on copyright.gov and found a record from 2014 of a copyrighted text entitled “Wipeout: Caught in the Undertow of America's Greatest Band” authored by Rocky. I found nothing when I Googled this but presumably this is a manuscript by Rocky about his time with The Beach Boys. Steve Love is also listed as as a rights holder. Very interested in seeing this come out if it isn’t in some form already.

copyright record listed here: http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=636&ti=626,636&Search%5FArg=pamplin&Search%5FCode=NALL&CNT=25&PID=oxWpWdAuMg3Ks5tVyq_zesLrKefs&SEQ=20151111115416&SID=1

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 12:52:28 PM »

Steve was talking about it quite a bit a few years back.

335Steve Love on July 14, 2014

Yes, Rocky did indeed knock Carl to the floor in Melbourne, Australia in March I978, my last tour with the band. Rocky has written a book titled WIPEOUT in which he devotes an entire chapter to what we participants in that meeting in Mike Love’s suite with David Frost and others refer to as “the heroin incident.” Carl was drunk and surly and made the mistake of saying “f*** you, Rocky” in front of a roomful of men. Rocky wasn’t going to take that and leapt to his feet, bounded across the room and socked Carl hard in the jaw. The back of Carl’s head banged against the wall and he fell to the floor. BTW, it was the most picture perfect haymaker I ever saw. It was a stroke of luck that Carl’s jaw was not broken. As for the other incident you refer to, I have no knowledge of what transpired there.

Not only was I NOT the guy who karate chopped Dennis in the throat in 1974 at the Red Onion restaurant in Redondo Beach, CA, I’m the guy who knocked out the bouncer who struck a barefoot Dennis who attempted to push past the doorman to get to the dance floor. This incident is recounted in detail in Rocky’s forthcoming book WIPEOUT in the chapter titled “A Broken Spirit.”

As for Rocky and Stan beating Dennis up on Super Bowl Sunday in January 1980, Dennis was endangering Brian and had to be stopped. Although they were no longer in his employ as bodyguard-handlers, they loved Brian and wanted to protect him from his reckless brother. I don’t think they regret their actions; in fact, I think they think it was a well-deserved intervention.

Rocky is seeking a literary agent to represent him. His intriguing book is complete, has 36 chapters and runs about 300 pages. WIPEOUT is a most entertaining rock-and-roll memoir. If any literary agent out there is interested, please get in touch with me and I’ll connect you with Rocky.

WIPEOUT is Rocky’s story, told in his own inimitable style. It is replete with rather racy recollections of movie and rock stars, rich people, and royalty. It is a story of deceit and betrayal, the excesses of ego, where greed and jealousy run riot and family members are fair game. Part memoir and part expose, this is a book for the ages. Aloha.

Steve

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 01:05:15 PM »

Sounds gross. I sure wouldn't buy that thing.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 01:10:25 PM »

It's a shame that these awful, violent people were so often around.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 01:43:01 PM »

Hey Rocky...wanta see me pull a rabbit outa my hat?

Oh Bullwinkle THAT trick never works.

Nuthin up my sleeve.

Man!!!  If I'da seen that clown sock Carl like that...he'd have been unable to write even the letter X.  I ain't overly agressive but I have little time for bullies.  Rocky pickin' on Carl.  What a 1/4-man.  And ain't he the semi-stud who was hangin' around Marilyn when Brian was incapacitated? 

What a twerp!!!

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 01:53:21 PM »

With Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys, there's more than two sides to the story. There's more than two hundred sides to the story. This is one side I'd be interested in reading.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 01:57:11 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 02:28:02 PM »

If this trash book is released, will Mike Love say it has an "interesting" viewpoint like the Evan Landy interview....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 02:36:22 PM »

With Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys, there's more than two sides to the story. There's more than two hundred sides to the story. This is one side I'd be interested in reading.

I still woulda dropped him right there in his ensuing excrement.  How the 'eff' did he get away with doing that to Carl blinkin' WILSON?  He should simply have done as requested and effed off.  But NO!!!  He had to beat up a pacifist.  What did they have on hand then cheerleaders for security?  Rocky effin Pamplin woulda been a pile of rotting flesh if I'da seen that happen.  Gawd that makes me mad. Angry

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 05:40:27 PM »

This is one BB related book I would have no interest in looking at, never mind purchasing...
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 06:14:03 PM »

For me, whoever hit first is on the wrong side every time, in anyone's story.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 06:17:18 PM »

If this trash book is released, will Mike Love say it has an "interesting" viewpoint like the Evan Landy interview....

I wouldn't be at all surprised if myKe wrote the forward for this pile of sh*t. Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 06:42:47 PM »

I believe that incident with Carl was the last straw for Al and caused him to change his vote and remove Steve Love as manager..which led Steve to call Al chickensh!t or something like that.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 07:26:18 PM »

I believe that incident with Carl was the last straw for Al and caused him to change his vote and remove Steve Love as manager..which led Steve to call Al chickensh!t or something like that.
I sure hope so. Al is a peaceful guy, I doubt he enjoyed having these baboons around.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 08:18:52 PM »

At least we know now that Steve didn't punch Dennis in the throat, resulting in his increased raspiness, as has been suggested...but rather, that it was in fact someone else who did so, and Steve and Dennis were on the same side of that particular fight.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 10:46:58 PM »

This is one BB related book I would have no interest in looking at, never mind purchasing...

Oh, I'd read it, purely to be able to rip the righteous sh*t out of it. Buy it ? Nah... unless it was on Amazon UK at 1p.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 11:04:36 PM »

I'd get a copy, purely to soak it in my own waste before sending it off for an autograph.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 11:32:23 PM »

Sounds like a real muckraker. I'd only buy it if it was going really cheap.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 12:10:05 AM »

Gosh, in order to generate exposure for the potential publication of his book, perhaps Rocky would like to join the Smiley Smile board so as to engage in dialogue with the members here.  Evil Evil

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 12:20:53 AM »

Better yet, Steve Love! While we're hoping for Dishonored Guests.

Maybe it's like Derek Smart, and he can be summoned if you chant his name three times.

STEVE LOVE STEVE LOVE STEVE LOVE.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 03:26:08 AM »

If the composers of The Surfaris' hit object to Rocky's title, LL Cool J has a good alternative: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vimZj8HW0Kg

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 06:21:38 AM »

I dunno, it’s at least *interesting* that it appears Steve and Pamplin (assuming Steve’s reports of Pamplin’s words are correct) aren’t particularly denying several key stories that paint them in a rather poor light. Like the “Heroes and Villains” book by Gaines (which was also heavy on Steve Love/Rocky Pamplin sagas), it might be a sticky, icky book to read through with hyperbole galore, but might have some core stories and facts that aren’t found anywhere else.

Even if you’re inclined to not immediately be defensive of Carl being punched, even if Carl was just some random guy, Pamplin *still* comes across like a douche in the story. Maybe he was a big tough guy, but punching and knocking out some guy who’s drunk and strung out on heavy drugs isn’t the most challenging thing in the world.

Pamplin being taken seriously also wasn’t done any favors by the photo spread in the Gaines book. I still find it comical that a Beach Boys biography could contain the “safe” half of a Playgirl centerfold.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 06:22:58 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 08:11:40 AM »

Even if you’re inclined to not immediately be defensive of Carl being punched, even if Carl was just some random guy, Pamplin *still* comes across like a douche in the story. Maybe he was a big tough guy, but punching and knocking out some guy who’s drunk and strung out on heavy drugs isn’t the most challenging thing in the world.

Not defending Pamplin's actions by any means, but Carl's behaviour had just nearly tanked an entire tour. To then get drunk and abusive when confronted may have been the proverbial straw.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 08:13:03 AM »

Oh, I would buy this book in a heartbeat. I loved Heroes & Villains, despite the bits I knew were patently false. But I'm a terrible person, so your mileage may vary. Smiley
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2015, 08:20:37 AM »

I've read various quotes by the people involved on the various assaults on the Wilsons, and the assailants never seem to get that battery is NEVER OK regardless of how annoyed or angry or whatever you feel regarding someone. They never seem regretful or "I just lost it. It was really terrible of me. I've taken X steps to learn to control my behavior better..." It's always "Carl was rude, so..." "Dennis gave Brian drugs so..." "Your mother undermined my authority and incredibly harsh violent punishment is good for kids so..."
The lack of regret and recognition that battery is wrong IN ANY CASE is what really bothers me.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2015, 09:00:06 AM »

I've read various quotes by the people involved on the various assaults on the Wilsons, and the assailants never seem to get that battery is NEVER OK regardless of how annoyed or angry or whatever you feel regarding someone. They never seem regretful or "I just lost it. It was really terrible of me. I've taken X steps to learn to control my behavior better..." It's always "Carl was rude, so..." "Dennis gave Brian drugs so..." "Your mother undermined my authority and incredibly harsh violent punishment is good for kids so..."
The lack of regret and recognition that battery is wrong IN ANY CASE is what really bothers me.

+1
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 83 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx