gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:52:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin book about The Beach Boys?  (Read 492565 times)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: January 29, 2016, 08:00:40 AM »

Smiley John Manning,... That extract... is written in the third person as opposed to the first person... because I did not want to see I...I...I... all over the book... I wanted the book to be more about the Beach Boys for the purpose of getting published. My feeling was that it would  be easier to get someone to read a book, by an unknown writer, that was more about someone else than oneself. We already have an excellent writer putting it in the first person... which will also create more of an inner dialogue... taking the reader on a more personal journey with the writer... allowing more understanding into him... and making a controversial character a more sympathetic one! John, that was a fair question... I'm glad you asked... I wanted to address the issue. This will be all I have to say about this chapter...while I post it. Smiley Smiley SMILE Smiley Smiley
Hi Rocky,
If you're saying that you're having it rewritten to the first person, I think that's a good idea.
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: January 29, 2016, 03:15:33 PM »

" IF " you're  saying   you're   having   it  rewritten " to " the  first  person  "" I ""  think  that's  a  good  idea.  
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 03:44:56 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: January 29, 2016, 03:41:17 PM »

" IF " you're  saying  you're   having  it  rewritten " to " the  first  person  " I "  think  that's  a  good  idea.  

GAAAHHHHHH...paging Salvador Dali...my head just exploded.  'THE" centre cannot hold...."mere" anarchy "is" loosed upon the world.

https://youtu.be/LZcn2V4alPg
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 03:42:42 PM by adamghost » Logged
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: January 29, 2016, 04:27:13 PM »

If Rocky was a dog, which kind would he be?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: January 29, 2016, 04:32:04 PM »

Same as any other: illiterate and stupid.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: January 29, 2016, 04:47:38 PM »

It is a little Dada. Hey - double meaning!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 07:27:08 PM by Emily » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: January 29, 2016, 04:56:33 PM »

https://youtu.be/Z0LcA9fw2NU
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: January 29, 2016, 06:34:12 PM »

Smiley Good morning Smile,... Part: 1 of Chapter 12
                                                                                                              "Wha--Ooh"

A couple days before Brian's second tour in a decade Marilyn answered a call from Danny Hutton of Three Dog Night, one of Brian's old party buddies and a favorite singer. "He has some pipes" Brian would say. He was also a babe magnet. He and Brian were notorious for carousing and hell-raising. Two rich and famous boozers and drug gluttons. Nothing was off limits. They had no boundaries... and when it came to drugs and excess, those two wrote the book! When everyone else was taking one hit of acid, they would take two... or...?  But who's counting? Their idea of a weekend spree wasn't a three hundred dollar eight ball, it was a thousand dollars worth, they had lot's of friends. And upon receiving delivery, the question to the dealer was, "Can you get us more if we need it? Here's a hundred for your time. Stay by the phone."
     Marilyn decided to make an exception this once and allow Brian to hang out with Danny because he swore to her he was off drugs and was convincing about it. But she relented mainly because Stan and Rocky could handle the situation. After all, Brian had completed his first tour in a decade. Willing to put all things to the test, she consented. She was also giving Brian some freedom of movement and agreed to let him wander from his beloved safe haven, home sweet home, because Brian had agreed to take Marilyn on their first vacation in five years, to San Tropez, somewhere Marilyn had been dying to go for years. This was a mecca for the jet set, the "in" spot for the rich and famous. She had already gone ahead and made reservations at the Byblos Hotel, which was the ultra cool place to stay.
     Stan and Rocky drove Brian to the chic C*ck 'n' Bull restaurant on Sunset Boulevard at 7:00 pm Saturday night and were promptly seated at Danny's table. He was three sheets to the wind, was mindlessly pushing his food around on the plate in front of him, and was singing something in a Brian-like falsetto voice. After watching fifteen minutes of incoherent interaction take place between Brian and Danny, Stan asked, "Hey, you guys, want to go to the Troubadour?" "Yeah!" was the immediate joint response. So Danny left a hundred dollar bill on the table and off they went... but not before Danny slipped and fell getting into Brian's limo. He turned to his compadres , laughing, and said, "It's not a party until somebody falls down!" When they arrived at the Troubadour and turned the limo over to the valet, they were greeted at the door by the owner himself, Doug Weston, who said, "Well, well, well, what do you know? First Bob Dylan and Joan Baez... and now Brian Wilson and Danny Hutton. What a star-studded night!" All four of Brian's party were comped, as they say, and Brian immediately said, "I want to sit with Bob!" So Stan dispatched Rocky to ask Dylan if that would be okay with him. Rocky approached the living legend politely, excused the intrusion, and explained to Bob that he was one of Brian Wilson's bodyguard-handlers and would like to know if Brian could join him.

I am glad that Marilyn knew that Stan and Rocky could handle the situation.  Since it was obvious when they met up with Danny Hutton that he was 3 sheets to the wind, I do find it a bit curious that Stan would suggest they go to the Troubadour.  I can only assume that we will find out in Part 2 of Chapter 12 that they stopped by the Troubadour to quickly say hi to Bob Dylan, drop off Danny Hutton, and then take Brian immediately back to his house in order to keep him away from the drug scene at the Troubadour.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 06:35:20 PM by Matt H » Logged
Chownow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: January 29, 2016, 10:00:49 PM »

Hi Rockcrush,

Why are you writing this book?  Do you feel like you have an important, unknown story to tell? Do you want recognition for being involved with people who were famous? Do you want to make money?

Those are the only "3 reasons" I can think of.... Just... curious.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: January 30, 2016, 11:32:13 AM »

I've sent this post via PM instead.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 11:46:34 AM by Emily » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: January 31, 2016, 12:25:02 PM »

Same as any other: illiterate and stupid.

Illiterate----well, obviously dogs are illiterate, but stupid??

My dog barks for his daily meatball when the clock strikes five. I'd call that intelligent. Cool Guy

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #986 on: January 31, 2016, 12:32:56 PM »

Does he also salivate ?  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: January 31, 2016, 12:42:35 PM »

Does he hump your wifes leg?  Wink
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 12:43:34 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: January 31, 2016, 02:13:44 PM »

Does he also salivate ?  Grin

No.

Does he hump your wife's leg?  Wink

Not to my knowledge.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
bachelorofbullets
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: January 31, 2016, 09:06:08 PM »

I don't like this version but Rocky does a good job on lead vocal.

Beach Boys - California Feelin ( Featuring Rocky Pamplin on vocals 1977 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz5QlORnZgU
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: January 31, 2016, 09:42:51 PM »

Wow Bach......my absolutely favorite Beach Boys song......and Rocky has his own version...who would have known.....I'm more than kind of curious to see what the Brits think tomorrow morning when they see your post.....GREAT job digging this up....For someone who has "heavy" fingers on a keyboard, I agree, not a bad set of pipes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #991 on: January 31, 2016, 10:19:04 PM »

I don't like this version but Rocky does a good job on lead vocal.

Beach Boys American Spring - California Feelin ( Featuring Rocky Pamplin on vocals 1977 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz5QlORnZgU

FTFY

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: February 01, 2016, 09:49:19 AM »

Smiley  Part: 2  "Wha--Ooh"

Dylan looked at me apprehensively, turned and conferred with Joan, who whispered something to Bob, who then looked at me, smiled and said, "Where's Brian?" After checking Brian out, who was pacing nervously, then stopped and stared at a wall, allowing Bob a profile view of him, he said, "Sure!"
      So the four of them made their way to Bob's table. Brian sat down next to Dylan and asked, "Got a cigarette?" Dylan nodded affirmatively and Brian took one. "Got a light?" Brian asked next. Dylan agreeably picked up his lighter and lit Brian's cigarette, which Brian proceeded to hot box until it was down to the filter without saying anything.
      Dylan said, "You look good, Brian! You lost a lot of weight, didn't ya?"
      "Yeah," Brian responded excitedly. "I lost a hundred pounds. My wife put locks on the refrigerator doors and Stan and Rocky and I play basketball every morning."
      Bob said, "Wow, a hundred pounds?! Sounds like that plan is working for you."
      Brian bragged, "Yeah, we're undefeated!"
      Bob paused. "That's great. I'm really happy for you." Dylan reached out to touch Brian's arm and said earnestly, "Congratulations!"
      Brian, feeling a little overwhelmed, leaned back retiringly and met Bob's gaze... and then... it looked like Brian's eyes suddenly watered up. This precipitated an awkward moment. Silence ensued. He quickly stubbed his cigarette in the ashtray and blurted out, "I gotta go." He got up and started to leave, I suggested, "Brian, why don't you say goodbye to Joan and Bob." He uttered a quick "Bye" and abruptly left! (sucking the air out of the room). Danny, stunned and not knowing what to do, followed, shook Bob's hand and said apologetically, trying to downplay the glaring awkwardness of the moment, "You know Brian."
      A mystified Dylan said, "No, I don't. I've never met him before. I feel like I still haven't," he complained, disappointment in his voice. "But he looks great, real clean!"
      Stan introduced himself and said, "Bob, sorry about that. I'm Brian's cousin. Mike Love's my brother," to which Dylan quipped, "Sorry to hear that." Stan laughed and said, "Don't hold that against me. My other brother Stephen, who manages the Beach Boys, hired my friend Rocky and me to rehabilitate Brian." I, meanwhile, just looked at Dylan and Joan Baez, shrugged, and said with a perplexed look on my face, "Rock stars!" Bob and Joan chuckled at that. Smiley Smiley   (Part:3 to follow)

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 01:52:58 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: February 01, 2016, 10:26:42 AM »

Thanks again Rocky… look forward to the next instalment.

“We live in divisive times.”
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: February 01, 2016, 11:02:43 AM »

Smiley Thank You John Manning,
      I look forward to posting part: 3 of this 10 part series!  Smiley Smiley
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: February 01, 2016, 11:13:09 AM »

Smiley
Wow Bach......my absolutely favorite Beach Boys song......and Rocky has his own version...who would have known.....I'm more than kind of curious to see what the Brits think tomorrow morning when they see your post.....GREAT job digging this up....For someone who has "heavy" fingers on a keyboard, I agree, not a bad set of pipes.
  "barsone", Thank you for the kind words on my pipes, as Brian also refers to one's singing voice... what's the Bach thing?  Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:59:01 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #996 on: February 01, 2016, 11:16:41 AM »

Smiley
This thread stopped being interesting the moment it started to be about the posters.
Smiley I want to Thank You... for your astute observation!  Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:59:41 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: February 01, 2016, 11:20:16 AM »

Smiley
Nice prose.  I'll buy a copy.
Smiley Fire Wind, Thank You... Thank You... Thank You! Sweeter words I have not heard... aren't you a dear! Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:21:19 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: February 01, 2016, 11:24:48 AM »

Smiley
We are due 2 books this year by Mike and Brian. Are you going to question their recollections as well? Of course there is going to be some artistic licence from so long ago and individual opinions. Let it slide at this stage.
Smiley Pretty Funky, we've had some funky words... but for these words...about questioning recollections... I Thank You!  Smiley Smiley
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: February 01, 2016, 11:29:32 AM »

Smiley
This thread stopped being interesting the moment it started to be about the posters.

I've enjoyed the banter myself, but I'll happily shut up.
Smiley I have enjoyed the BANTER myself... what's life about if you can't laugh... and SMILE  Smiley And the number of reads keep going through the roof! Maybe I should thank the "angry half dozen" even Emily and her EXCESSIVE posting... and her never ending OPINIONS. I...I...I... I think you misunderstood my OPINION... you should do this... and you shouldn't do that...  I like this... I don't like that! Roll Eyes Razz
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:27:53 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 83 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx