gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:45:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin book about The Beach Boys?  (Read 489954 times)
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1950 on: March 21, 2016, 04:49:22 AM »

It's sad.  I was actually feeling the family tragedy here.  Greed, betrayal, more greed, more betrayal.  Then it all turns into people aggressively attacking each other again - here.  

No wait, am I watching American politics or America's Band?  I guess one can't separate the two.  Metaphor meets a weird form of reality - it always has with this band and this family.  Poetry, I guess, maybe...or just plain heart-broken comments.

Thank heavens for the music.

Smiley Smiley It is sad... I told everyone "Wipeout" is a story of DECEIT and BETRAYAL... where FAMILY ARE FAIR GAME! Smiley Smiley "Good Vibrations is where Brian checked out!  (You do the math)  Debbie, are you the girl that went to Hawaii with Brian when we went there in '78?

Yes, I am that girl - well, a much older lady now but, yes.  I actually didn't remember the year, since I didn't keep a journal.

BTW - may I apologize these decades later for being skeptical about your singing for Brian in the car ride to the airport?  I'm afraid I had just seen him indulge far too many barely adequate singers to make them happy.  You; however, sounded really good on "California Feelin'."  I had no idea.
Debbie, can you please share your perspective. How did Brian seem around Rocky?

In my opinion, that was a terrible time in Brian's life when he desperately needed the right doctor and medication and that simply wasn't happening.  I've never seen a person in more emotional pain than Brian at that time.  It was heartbreaking.  There was a brief stay in a San Diego area hospital when Brian seemed to be doing so much better, so it certainly seemed that was possible, but then things got worse after he left there and returned to LA.  Of course, Rocky, Stan and Korthof were the people hired to keep Brian - I guess "out of trouble" would be the best way I could put it - so naturally he rebelled at various times.  They basically had the job of treating the symptom, not the illness.

Edit (add):  In fact, when Brian left Brotman hospital after Rocky and Stan were no longer working for him, Brian's assigned doctor interviewed me and essentially indicated that he had reluctantly taken Brian as a patient  This didn't strike me as the doctor/patient affinity one might desire.  At least this doctor didn't have him on Thorazine, as he was briefly in the hospital.  It had a horrible effect on him.  I frankly never saw Brian with the right doctor or meds, nor attorneys until Melinda came along many years later, pretty much as Rocky indicated earlier in this thread.   
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 06:40:01 AM by Debbie KL » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1951 on: March 21, 2016, 11:32:30 AM »

To put our "author" out of his misery regarding my avatar, here it is full size:

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: March 21, 2016, 11:35:55 AM »

To put our "author" out of his misery regarding my avatar, here it is full size:

That is awesome, AGD. Is that a scan from a vintage newspaper ad?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1953 on: March 21, 2016, 11:43:21 AM »

Yup. And to my shame, I cannot recall who I got it from.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: March 21, 2016, 12:13:25 PM »

It's sad.  I was actually feeling the family tragedy here.  Greed, betrayal, more greed, more betrayal.  Then it all turns into people aggressively attacking each other again - here. 

No wait, am I watching American politics or America's Band?  I guess one can't separate the two.  Metaphor meets a weird form of reality - it always has with this band and this family.  Poetry, I guess, maybe...or just plain heart-broken comments.

Smiley Smiley It is sad... I told everyone "Wipeout" is a story of DECEIT and BETRAYAL... where FAMILY ARE FAIR GAME! Smiley Smiley "Good Vibrations is where Brian checked out!  (You do the math)  Debbie, are you the girl that went to Hawaii with Brian when we went there in '78?

Yes, I am that girl - well, a much older lady now but, yes.  I actually didn't remember the year, since I didn't keep a journal.

BTW - may I apologize these decades later for being skeptical about your singing for Brian in the car ride to the airport?  I'm afraid I had just seen him indulge far too many barely adequate singers to make them happy.  You; however, sounded really good on "California Feelin'."  I had no idea.

In my opinion, that was a terrible time in Brian's life when he desperately needed the right doctor and medication and that simply wasn't happening.  I've never seen a person in more emotional pain than Brian at that time.  It was heartbreaking.  There was a brief stay in a San Diego area hospital when Brian seemed to be doing so much better, so it certainly seemed that was possible, but then things got worse after he left there and returned to LA.  Of course, Rocky, Stan and Korthof were the people hired to keep Brian - I guess "out of trouble" would be the best way I could put it - so naturally he rebelled at various times.  They basically had the job of treating the symptom, not the illness.

Edit (add):  In fact, when Brian left Brotman hospital after Rocky and Stan were no longer working for him, Brian's assigned doctor interviewed me and essentially indicated that he had reluctantly taken Brian as a patient  This didn't strike me as the doctor/patient affinity one might desire.  At least this doctor didn't have him on Thorazine, as he was briefly in the hospital.  It had a horrible effect on him.  I frankly never saw Brian with the right doctor or meds, nor attorneys until Melinda came along many years later, pretty much as Rocky indicated earlier in this thread.   
Thanks Debbie! Great  insight!

Since you actually saw Rocky and Brian interact, how did Brian take Rocky? Did he seem to like him? Was Rocky nice to Brian?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: March 21, 2016, 12:31:25 PM »

Smiley Smiley "doe doe" at least it's not an actual pic of you... God forbid!  Badiant Radish?... anything to do with Brian's health food store back in the day... "The Purple Onion!"  I think we can all agree that Brian was ahead of his day... even with that!
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: March 21, 2016, 12:41:04 PM »

Smiley Smiley Debbie... I remember everyone being AWARE that you were coming to Hawaii... on that tour!  In particular, Marilyn... she was cool with it... "DIDN'T OBJECT"... or you wouldn't have been there.  And I vaguely remember the ride to the airport... you were "quiet."  That was one of the things Brian said he liked about you... and that it didn't bother you that he didn't talk much (if at all)!   Brian said you were nurturing... That was the feeling I got from you as well!   Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:22:46 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: March 21, 2016, 12:41:12 PM »

Smiley Smiley "doe doe" at least it's not an actual pic of you... God forbid!  Badiant Radish?... anything to do with Brian's health food store back in the day... "The Purple Onion!"  I think we can all agree that Brian was ahead of his day... even with that!

Brian's store was the "Radiant Radish."  AGD's picture is an ad for that store.
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: March 21, 2016, 12:47:45 PM »

Brian's store was the "Radiant Radish."  AGD's picture is an ad for that store.
Smiley I stand corrected... WHAT A PICTURE! Smiley Smiley
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: March 21, 2016, 12:51:58 PM »

Rocky, have you seen the Stephen Love thread started today? You are all over it.

Can you ask Stephen to chime in, in his own behalf?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: March 21, 2016, 12:53:49 PM »

Mike is loveless when it comes to Brian... Money is Mike's God!

Rocky, I just listened to California Feeling last night (it's been awhile since I listened to it).  Great job on the vocal  Smiley I've always liked that and it would not have been out of place on a Beach Boys Lp.  Did any of the other guys object to you recording a vocal, maybe feeling a little worried Brian might use you more?
Smiley :)Sorry I didn't get a chance to THANK YOU... for the compliment!  Before "doe doe" took it upon himself to "inform" us that Calif Feelin was an American Spring song... even though you didn'd ask about that at all! Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 12:59:34 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: March 21, 2016, 12:55:57 PM »

Rocky, have you seen the Stephen Love thread started today? You are all over it.

Smiley Smiley No I haven't... where is it?  Is it one of Charles Le Page's... Smiley Smiley
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: March 21, 2016, 01:08:21 PM »

Smiley Smiley No I haven't... where is it?  Is it one of Charles Le Page's... Smiley Smiley
Yup, right here next to your thread:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23577.0.html

rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: March 21, 2016, 01:09:18 PM »

Given that was an American Spring recording, l'd doubt they were very fussed.
He wasn't asking you doe doe... "GET BACK" IN YOUR TOILET!  "GET BACK DOE DOE"... wasn't that the lyric to the Beatles song?  Oh... that was "Get Back... jo jo... refering to Yoko!  Yoko... jo jo... doe doe... there all the same... NO ONE WANTED THEM AROUND!  ha ha  LOL LOL
Brian singing on it... made it GREAT for me!                                    

Smiley Smiley "doe doe"... just because someone compliments my singing...doesn't mean you have the right to jump in and...do what you do.. which is to sh*t all over everything..."doe doe"! LOL LOL
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 01:10:18 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: March 21, 2016, 01:22:36 PM »

He wasn't asking you doe doe... Get back to your toilet!  Just

The version collectors have had since, oh, the mid 80s, has Brian only on the tag - the rest of the vocals are Marilyn, Diane and yourself. Recorded at Brother, summer 1977. A Tuesday, as I recall.
Smiley Smiley Here you are again "doe doe"... NO ONE ASKING YOU ANYTHING!  And yet you feel the need to "INFORM US that Brian "ONLY" sand on the tag... and the rest of the vocals are... WHAT?...  (just) Marilyn, Diane and myself... are you disparaging Marilyn's singing?  Marilyn had a beautiful voice...Brian loved it!  Diane... not so much... she didn't really sing as much as she whispered... so you couldn't tell she couldn't sing!  But this... answering peoples questions... to me is beneath even YOU... and so transparent!  BRIAN ONLY SANG ON THE TAG?...  Brian SANG ON THE ENTIRE LAST CHORUS with Marilyn and Myself... and whispering Diane!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 03:05:15 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: March 21, 2016, 01:34:07 PM »

The version collectors have had since, oh, the mid 80s, has Brian only on the tag - the rest of the vocals are Marilyn, Diane and yourself. Recorded at Brother, summer 1977. A Tuesday, as I recall.
Smiley Smiley Here you are again "doe doe"... NO ONE ASKING YOU ANYTHING!  And yet you feel the need to "INFORM US that Brian "ONLY" sand on the tag... and the rest of the vocals are... WHAT?...  (just) Marilyn, Diane and myself... are you disparaging Marilyn's singing?  Marilyn had a beautiful voice...Brian loved it!  Diane... not so much... she didn't really sing as much as she whispered... so you couldn't tell she couldn't sing!  But this... answering peoples questions to me is beneath even YOU... and so transparent!  BRIAN ONLY SANG ON THE TAG of Rocky's version!  Brian SANG ON THE ENTIRE LAST CHORUS with Marilyn and Myself... and whispering Diane!

Rocky, very solid job on your vocals. When the version of California Feelin' (with you on vocals) was recorded, did Brian or anyone at the studio ever provide you with a cassette copy for yourself? It has been pretty surprising to many fans that such a good song didn't get officially released (in any form) for so many years. Have you heard the other released versions, like the one that Al Jardine recorded for his recent solo album?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1966 on: March 21, 2016, 01:55:33 PM »

Smiley Smiley "doe doe" at least it's not an actual pic of you... God forbid!  Badiant Radish?... anything to do with Brian's health food store back in the day... "The Purple Onion!"  I think we can all agree that Brian was ahead of his day... even with that!

Yeah, Purple Onion, sure. That's why it says Radiant Radish in the ad. As Bugs might put it, sheesh, what a maroon.

The truth. It's a pisser, ain't it ?  Grin
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 01:58:11 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1967 on: March 21, 2016, 01:56:34 PM »

Smiley Smiley Here you are again "doe doe"... NO ONE ASKING YOU ANYTHING!  And yet you feel the need to "INFORM US that Brian "ONLY" sand on the tag... and the rest of the vocals are... WHAT?...  (just) Marilyn, Diane and myself... are you disparaging Marilyn's singing?  Marilyn had a beautiful voice...Brian loved it!  Diane... not so much... she didn't really sing as much as she whispered... so you couldn't tell she couldn't sing!  But this... answering peoples questions to me is beneath even YOU... and so transparent!  BRIAN ONLY SANG ON THE TAG of Rocky's version!  Brian SANG ON THE ENTIRE LAST CHORUS with Marilyn and Myself... and whispering Diane!

Not on my tape.  Grin

Now... about "To Sir With Love" - whose idea was that ? Does a "proper" version exist ?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 01:59:22 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: March 21, 2016, 02:00:08 PM »

Smiley Smiley Debbie... I remember everyone being AWARE that you were coming to Hawaii... on that tour!  In particular, Marilyn... she was cool with it... "DIDN'T OBJECT"... or you wouldn't have been there.  And I vaguely remember the ride to the airport... you were "quite" that was one of the things Brian said he liked about you... and that it did'nt bother you that he did'nt talk much! (if at all).   Brian said you were nuturing... that was the feeling I got from you as well!   Smiley Smiley

Given that my trip was arranged for me when Brian called from Australia with the invitation, I did make the assumption that people knew I was coming.  I'm very pleased that he said I was nurturing and that you got the same feeling.  
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: March 21, 2016, 02:20:10 PM »

It's sad.  I was actually feeling the family tragedy here.  Greed, betrayal, more greed, more betrayal.  Then it all turns into people aggressively attacking each other again - here. 

No wait, am I watching American politics or America's Band?  I guess one can't separate the two.  Metaphor meets a weird form of reality - it always has with this band and this family.  Poetry, I guess, maybe...or just plain heart-broken comments.

Smiley Smiley It is sad... I told everyone "Wipeout" is a story of DECEIT and BETRAYAL... where FAMILY ARE FAIR GAME! Smiley Smiley "Good Vibrations is where Brian checked out!  (You do the math)  Debbie, are you the girl that went to Hawaii with Brian when we went there in '78?

Yes, I am that girl - well, a much older lady now but, yes.  I actually didn't remember the year, since I didn't keep a journal.

BTW - may I apologize these decades later for being skeptical about your singing for Brian in the car ride to the airport?  I'm afraid I had just seen him indulge far too many barely adequate singers to make them happy.  You; however, sounded really good on "California Feelin'."  I had no idea.

In my opinion, that was a terrible time in Brian's life when he desperately needed the right doctor and medication and that simply wasn't happening.  I've never seen a person in more emotional pain than Brian at that time.  It was heartbreaking.  There was a brief stay in a San Diego area hospital when Brian seemed to be doing so much better, so it certainly seemed that was possible, but then things got worse after he left there and returned to LA.  Of course, Rocky, Stan and Korthof were the people hired to keep Brian - I guess "out of trouble" would be the best way I could put it - so naturally he rebelled at various times.  They basically had the job of treating the symptom, not the illness.

Edit (add):  In fact, when Brian left Brotman hospital after Rocky and Stan were no longer working for him, Brian's assigned doctor interviewed me and essentially indicated that he had reluctantly taken Brian as a patient  This didn't strike me as the doctor/patient affinity one might desire.  At least this doctor didn't have him on Thorazine, as he was briefly in the hospital.  It had a horrible effect on him.  I frankly never saw Brian with the right doctor or meds, nor attorneys until Melinda came along many years later, pretty much as Rocky indicated earlier in this thread.   
Thanks Debbie! Great  insight!

Since you actually saw Rocky and Brian interact, how did Brian take Rocky? Did he seem to like him? Was Rocky nice to Brian?

ORR - Given Rocky's subsequent reply to me, it's sort of amusing that I would describe him as "quiet" around Brian.  I wasn't around for all of the rowdy stuff being discussed here.  He and Stan worked as a team, so I couldn't really separate Rocky and Stan in relation to Brian at that point in time.  Stan seemed to dominate, from my perspective.  He was the cousin.  The best description I can give is repeating that they were set up to "treat the symptom" and they were very athletic guys who Brian wouldn't challenge physically.  Brian didn't ever tell me what he thought of them, now that I think about it.  Brian so needed the right doctor at that time.  So much could have been different.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: March 21, 2016, 02:49:53 PM »

Rocky, I just listened to California Feeling last night (it's been awhile since I listened to it).  Great job on the vocal  Smiley I've always liked that and it would not have been out of place on a Beach Boys Lp.  Did any of the other guys object to you recording a vocal, maybe feeling a little worried Brian might use you more?
Smiley :)Sorry I didn't get a chance to THANK YOU... for the compliment!  Before "doe doe" took it upon himself to "inform" us that Calif Feelin was an American Spring song... even though you didn'd ask about that at all! Smiley Smiley

Cheers Rocky!  Smiley. Regardless of who it was recorded for it's a great vocal and it would have been good to have heard you on more of Brian's songs.  Grin.  Your voice on that recording sounded like an early 70s Brian (similar to the demo he recorded).  I like the American Spring songs. Do you still do any singing?
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: March 21, 2016, 03:12:32 PM »

Smiley Smiley Debbie... I remember everyone being AWARE that you were coming to Hawaii... on that tour!  In particular, Marilyn... she was cool with it... "DIDN'T OBJECT"... or you wouldn't have been there.  And I vaguely remember the ride to the airport... you were "quite" that was one of the things Brian said he liked about you... and that it did'nt bother you that he did'nt talk much! (if at all).   Brian said you were nuturing... that was the feeling I got from you as well!   Smiley Smiley

Given that my trip was arranged for me when Brian called from Australia with the invitation, I did make the assumption that people knew I was coming.  I'm very pleased that he said I was nurturing and that you got the same feeling.  
Smiley Smiley Not just people... KNEW?... Marilyn knew... she not only knew... SHE APPROVED  the INVITATION and PAID FOR IT!  Marilyn always wanted Brian to be HAPPY... she just wanted to be happy herself... while Brian was in BED for 10 YEARS!

Debbie KL, I just got off the phone with Stephen.  He asks that you write to him at PO Box 761, Hanalei, HI 96714 with your mailing and e-mail addresses.  He wants to send you copies of the exoneration and expungement papers (those are two of his favorite words in the English language now).  I get the idea that he wants you to be his spokesperson.  He is reluctant to make posts directly because he is put off by the mudslinging and mean-spirited sniping I have had to deal with on Smiley Smile.  He likes what RAB 2591 has to say but doesn't know him/her.  He remembers you as being "sweetness personified" and sends you his aloha.  After his 9-year stint with the Beach Boys came to an end, he relocated to Hawaii and got into surfing in a big way.  He actually does what the Boys sing about, as Al Jardine once enviously pointed out to him. Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:37:34 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: March 21, 2016, 04:35:05 PM »

This is all I can say about this thread,,,,  Wink LOL

rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: March 21, 2016, 04:43:19 PM »

This is all I can say about this thread,,,,  Wink LOL

Smiley Smiley I WAS SAYING YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY A MORON... if you don't GET IT!   It's like... Mike is Brian's NEMESIS... Mike is the ANTAGONIST of "WIPEOUT"... and Stephen is the UNSUNG HERO!  SOON TO BE THE "HERO" SUNG!!! Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 02:57:17 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: March 21, 2016, 04:48:22 PM »

Smiley :)Sorry I didn't get a chance to THANK YOU... for the compliment!  Before "doe doe" took it upon himself to "inform" us that Calif Feelin' was an American Spring song... even though you didn't ask about that at all! Smiley Smiley

Cheers Rocky!  Smiley. Regardless of who it was recorded for it's a great vocal and it would have been good to have heard you on more of Brian's songs.  Grin.  Your voice on that recording sounded like an early 70s Brian (similar to the demo he recorded).  I like the American Spring songs. Do you still do any singing?
Smiley Smiley Believe it or not... that's what Marilyn used to say... She also said that Brian would sing the songs that I had been singing that day... and with HEAVY VIBRATO... my trademark! Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 06:28:22 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 [79] 80 81 82 83 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx