gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680720 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 06:16:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rocky Pamplin book about The Beach Boys?  (Read 492124 times)
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: February 01, 2016, 11:38:32 AM »

Your book is bound to sell a million units - in January!
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: February 01, 2016, 11:53:32 AM »

Smiley
Smiley John Manning,... That extract... is written in the third person as opposed to the first person... because I did not want to see I...I...I... all over the book... I wanted the book to be more about the Beach Boys for the purpose of getting published. My feeling was that it would  be easier to get someone to read a book, by an unknown writer, that was more about someone else than oneself. We already have an excellent writer putting it in the first person... which will also create more of an inner dialogue... taking the reader on a more personal journey with the writer... allowing more understanding into him... and making a controversial character a more sympathetic one! John, that was a fair question... I'm glad you asked... I wanted to address the issue. This will be all I have to say about this chapter...while I post it. Smiley Smiley SMILE Smiley Smiley
The third person approach makes for a pretty effective and evocative read, Rocky - a great tale.

So, we've got a context re  the Wilson bro's - are you willing to give us a Mike chapter?

Also, what's the status re you & Stan these days?

I noticed Stan appeared in Mike's recent birthday photos, so I guess the Love is in the air for those two?
Smiley Alan Smith, Thank you... about the "third person approach." Stephen, my "Wonderful" editor "also" likes it in the third person! Perhaps we won't use the first person approach after all.  More feedback on this matter from the Smile readers would be much appreciated! As for being willing to give the readers a Mike chapter, nothing would make me happier. Smiley Mike is the antagonist of "WIPEOUT."  Stephen is the protagonist  Smiley  -   and Brian is the VICTIM!!! You will definitely enjoy the remainder of "Wha--Ooh" if it is Mike-bashing that interests you.  Smiley  Information is revealed that YOU HAVE NEVER READ OR HEARD ABOUT.  I guarantee you won't be disappointed! Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:23:09 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: February 01, 2016, 12:12:18 PM »

Smiley
Smiley John Manning,... That extract... is written in the third person as opposed to the first person... because I did not want to see I...I...I... all over the book... I wanted the book to be more about the Beach Boys for the purpose of getting published. My feeling was that it would  be easier to get someone to read a book, by an unknown writer, that was more about someone else than oneself. We already have an excellent writer putting it in the first person... which will also create more of an inner dialogue... taking the reader on a more personal journey with the writer... allowing more understanding into him... and making a controversial character a more sympathetic one! John, that was a fair question... I'm glad you asked... I wanted to address the issue. This will be all I have to say about this chapter...while I post it. Smiley Smiley SMILE Smiley Smiley
The third person approach makes for a pretty effective and evocative read, Rocky - a great tale.

So, we've got a context re  the Wilson bro's - are you willing to give us a Mike chapter?

I noticed Stan appeared in Mike's recent birthday photos, so I guess the Love is in the air for those two?
Smiley Alan Smith, Thank You... about the "third person approach." Stephen, my "Wonderful" editor "also" likes it in the third person! Perhaps we wont use the first person approach after all? More feedback, on this matter, from the Smile readers would be much appreciated! As for being willing to give the readers a Mike chapter? Nothing would make me happier... he is the antagonist of "WIPEOUT"! Stephen, being the protagonist... and Brian the VICTIM !!! You will definitely enjoy the remainder of "Wha--Ooh" if it is Mike... revealing... bashing... information YOU HAVE NEVER READ OR HEARD ABOUT! Smiley Smiley
My two cents, the third person approach is a might strange,  Other than that, a good read so far!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: February 01, 2016, 12:22:34 PM »

Smiley
I don't like this version but Rocky does a good job on lead vocal.

Beach Boys - California Feelin ( Featuring Rocky Pamplin on vocals 1977 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz5QlORnZgU
Smiley Well, what do you know... someone else likes my vocals? Thank You "bachelorofbullets" and you didn't fire one shot at me  Shocked Smiley
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: February 01, 2016, 12:29:14 PM »

Smiley
This thread stopped being interesting the moment it started to be about the posters.

I've enjoyed the banter myself, but I'll happily shut up.
The moment the thread started being about the posters is when the man in the subject line became a poster, which is actually when it started being interesting.
Smiley Thank you, Juice... I can't figure you out.  You keep flip-flopping.  But I do appreciate the kind words... even Stephen was surprised. You must have woke up on the right side of the bed that day. Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:15:26 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: February 01, 2016, 12:52:24 PM »

Smiley OregonRiverRider, Thank you for your input on the third person issue... and especially on the "good read" so far! IT GETS EVEN BETTER! Smiley Smiley
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1006 on: February 01, 2016, 12:59:42 PM »

I have to admit that's my favorite version of "California Feeling" ... Sounds the most BW-produced. I have a vinyl bootleg copy.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: February 01, 2016, 01:08:06 PM »

Smiley
This thread stopped being interesting the moment it started to be about the posters.

The moment the thread started being about the posters is when the man in the subject line became a poster, which is actually when it started being interesting.
Smiley Thank You Juice... I can't figure you out you keep flip-flopping? But I do appreciate the kind words... even Stephen was surprised. You must have woke up on the right side of the bed that day. Smiley Smiley

I had never heard that before.  It actually sounds really good.  Smiley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: February 01, 2016, 02:15:52 PM »

Smiley
Smiley John Manning,... That extract... is written in the third person as opposed to the first person... because I did not want to see I...I...I... all over the book... I wanted the book to be more about the Beach Boys for the purpose of getting published. My feeling was that it would  be easier to get someone to read a book, by an unknown writer, that was more about someone else than oneself. We already have an excellent writer putting it in the first person... which will also create more of an inner dialogue... taking the reader on a more personal journey with the writer... allowing more understanding into him... and making a controversial character a more sympathetic one! John, that was a fair question... I'm glad you asked... I wanted to address the issue. This will be all I have to say about this chapter...while I post it. Smiley Smiley SMILE Smiley Smiley

So, we've got a context re  the Wilson bro's - are you willing to give us a Mike chapter?

Smiley Alan Smith, Thank You... about the "third person approach." Stephen, my "Wonderful" editor "also" likes it in the third person! Perhaps we wont use the first person approach after all? More feedback, on this matter, from the Smile readers would be much appreciated! As for being willing to give the readers a Mike chapter? Nothing would make me happier... he is the antagonist of "WIPEOUT"! Stephen, being the protagonist... and Brian the VICTIM !!! You will definitely enjoy the remainder of "Wha--Ooh" if it is Mike... revealing... bashing... information YOU HAVE NEVER READ OR HEARD ABOUT! Smiley Smiley
My two cents, the third person approach is a might strange,  Other than that, a good read so far!

Agree third person approach isn't right for something biographical. But having someone else put it into the first-person will undoubtedly diminish the personal input.

Not sure I agree with "good" read, however; "interesting" read, maybe! Wink

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: February 01, 2016, 02:55:46 PM »

Smiley

Agree third person approach isn't right for something biographical. But having someone else put it into the first-person will undoubtedly diminish the personal input.

Not sure I agree with "good" read, however; "interesting" read, maybe! Wink
I can't imagine reading John Fogerty's new book and reading John this, John and Tom began..... The book is already edited by Stephen Love. A talented writer who can massage it further can only help.

Yeah, this chapter is good so far and promises to get even better!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: February 01, 2016, 11:30:20 PM »

Your book is bound to sell a million units - in January!

LMFAO
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: February 02, 2016, 01:03:40 PM »

More feedback, on this matter, from the Smile readers would be much appreciated!

I'm not into the third person perspective in this case. I've never seen a memoir written that way, likely for a reason. It comes off a little disingenuous. Otherwise it seems like the writing is fine and the material is interesting; hopefully it leads to more stories we haven't heard and insight on Brian during a period where there isn't a lot of information available.
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: February 02, 2016, 02:50:13 PM »

Smiley
I have to admit that's my favorite version of "California Feelin'." ... Sounds the most BW-produced.  I have a vinyl bootleg copy.
Smiley Donny L, that's probably the nicest compliment! I too love "California Feelin'."  It's not Brian's typical Beach Boys- type song. Marilyn and her sister Diane both loved the song as well.  I was shocked when Brian said he wanted to record me on it! Like I've said, Brian liked my voice because he said it was an "untrained" voice. He told me in the studio... "You've got a nice set of pipes." Brian actually laid down the track with him playing piano over the drums... and he had me sing the lead vocal just like that... He put the rest of the track together later... Brian, Marilyn and her sister Diane and I then sang the choruses.  It was the thrill of a lifetime!  Just a little anecdote:  On the bridge that goes, "Look at the orange groves... taste the grapefruit from a grapefruit tree... feel the loveliness and beauty of the California Feeling!" I was rehearsing this part... singing... ba ba bah   ba ba baah     ba ba   ba ba   ba ba   ba ba baah... Feel the loveliness and beauty... of the California Feeling! Brian later sang his version of "CA Feelin'" with the... bah ba baahs in the bridge.  It sounded better! Check it out on YouTube... Carl also sang a version.  His is probably the prettiest.  He had a beautiful voice.  But Brian's is my favorite version... ANGELIC... VIRTUOSIC!  Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:13:03 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: February 02, 2016, 03:09:22 PM »

If Rocky was a dog, which kind would he be?
Smiley This is the product of a small-minded twit... I dub you..."Huh?" #1 Smiley Smiley  I TAKE IT BACK "mtaber"! (literally and figuratively) Thank you for the clarification! Smiley Smiley Can't say the same to the others... who are simple, mean-spirited followers! Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:05:31 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: February 02, 2016, 03:10:59 PM »

Same as any other: illiterate and stupid.
Smiley "small-minded TWIT # 2" Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:35:58 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: February 02, 2016, 03:12:13 PM »

Same as any other: illiterate and stupid.

Illiterate----well, obviously dogs are illiterate, but stupid??

My dog barks for his daily meatball when the clock strikes five. I'd call that intelligent. Cool Guy
Smiley "small-minded TWIT #3" Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:35:36 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: February 02, 2016, 03:14:51 PM »

Does he also salivate ?  Grin
Smiley "small-minded TWIT #4" Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:35:12 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: February 02, 2016, 03:17:17 PM »

Does he hump your wifes leg?  Wink
Smiley "small-minded TWIT #5" Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 03:34:46 PM by rockrush3 » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: February 02, 2016, 03:23:32 PM »

Easy there rockwhiler. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: February 02, 2016, 03:26:09 PM »

Easy there rockwhiler. LOL

You just earned yourself a "small-minded twit #6."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: February 02, 2016, 03:27:21 PM »

Already got the champagne out to celebrate....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: February 02, 2016, 03:29:44 PM »

:)This thread stopped being interesting the moment it started to be about the posters.

Smiley Kudos, bro! Smiley Smiley Say hi to the "TWITS" Smiley Smiley Jealousy will do it every time, that and not having a life! Keep reading, "TWITS"!  Luv ya Smiley Smiley Have I reached 50,000 reads yet?Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:03:41 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: February 02, 2016, 03:58:15 PM »

Two part question on The Honey's version of "California Feelin". First, why was Brian recording The Honeys, for a new album? Second, does the fact that Brian used Rocky's voice on the track instead of one of The Honey's mean that Rocky was part of the "new" Honeys group, or was it a one-off guest vocal appearance?
rockrush3
Smiley Smile Associate

Rockrush3

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: February 02, 2016, 05:05:32 PM »

Two part question on The Honey's version of "California Feelin". First, why was Brian recording The Honeys, for a new album? Second, does the fact that Brian used Rocky's voice on the track instead of one of The Honey's mean that Rocky was part of the "new" Honeys group, or was it a one-off guest vocal appearance?
Smiley "Calif Feelin'" was not a Honeys song... despite how much Diane tried to get Brian to make it one.  Brian confided to me that it was too good of a song.  Brian had recorded a lead vocal on it years earlier but it wasn't a typical Beach Boys song. Can you hear Mike singing this ballad with his whiny ass high-pitched nasal-sounding voice? And no, I was never part of the Honeys!  Diane also tried to get me to be part of a group she had named earlier as American Spring... consisting of her and Marilyn and myself.  I declined that offer as well.  Marilyn could sing beautifully... Diane not so much (she sort of whispered when she tried to sing)  "California Feelin'" was a one shot deal with Brian and myself. However, we did sing the chorus together on "It's Like Heaven," which Shawn Cassidy later recorded.  A footnote:  Mike Love put me on his label, Butterfly Records, in 1979 and gave me a budget of $100,000 to do a disco album. Alas, disco stopped on a dime as soon as we mixed it down! Smiley Smiley WISH I HADN'T CHANGED IT FROM "ROCK n ROLL" TO DISCO. Smiley Smiley

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 10:02:26 AM by rockrush3 » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1024 on: February 02, 2016, 05:27:34 PM »

Diane also tried to get me to be part of a new name group she came up with called... American Spring... consisting of her and Marilyn and myself.

Wait...what? Spring/American Spring wasn't new in 1977..hell, the first album came out several years before you entered the picture. Likewise, Brian recorded a demo of CF a couple of years before he met you too.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 83 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx