gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:50:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BEACH BOYS’ PARTY! Uncovered and Unplugged  (Read 66901 times)
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: December 04, 2015, 03:01:13 PM »

Quick review. The stripped down PartY! is very nice. Without the party fx, it does have an unplugged feel.

The session tapes and accompanying booklet (with outstanding notes by Craig) sound and read fantastic.

This set is hands down a "must have".  10/10
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 02:02:38 AM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 05, 2015, 07:54:04 AM »

Still not available in shops in Holland :-(
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 05, 2015, 09:12:47 AM »

Mines arrived today (UK).  Amazon refunded postage as it was delayed.  That was nice of them considering the delay wasn't their fault! I have the Sea of Tunes but am still looking forward to this.  So many Beach Boys goodies this Christmas with AP releases, Carl Wilson CDs and various books.  Grin
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 29, 2015, 03:10:23 PM »

My favourite aspect is the fact that all of the dialogue tracks are listed on the sleeve as "dialogue" in the version of English that all good British citizens (except Andrew Doe for some no doubt important reason) use.  Please tell me that this is how it's printed worldwide (it certainly seems to appear that way on the sleeve graphic shown on Amazon.com) and that it's not just a regional variation, for it has made me quite happy in my foolish UK-centric way.

Mind you, the back cover does also say "One Kiss Lead To Another" and is perhaps over-insistent regarding Mike's vocals on "Alley Oop", so maybe it will not be winning any awards for Proofreading Pedantry.

As for the musical contents, I like the stripped-down album a lot, support the release of archival projects, and am glad this exists, but I'm going to confess that I haven't enjoyed the session material as much as I'd hoped to.  Burn me at the stake for saying it if you must, but I did find that I tired of the Boys' company after a while, especially when they were mucking about.  Possibly a sense of humour mismatch.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 29, 2015, 03:17:47 PM »

My favourite aspect is the fact that all of the dialogue tracks are listed on the sleeve as "dialogue" in the version of English that all good British citizens (except Andrew Doe for some no doubt important reason) use.  Please tell me that this is how it's printed worldwide (it certainly seems to appear that way on the sleeve graphic shown on Amazon.com) and that it's not just a regional variation, for it has made me quite happy in my foolish UK-centric way.

Mind you, the back cover does also say "One Kiss Lead To Another" and is perhaps over-insistent regarding Mike's vocals on "Alley Oop", so maybe it will not be winning any awards for Proofreading Pedantry.

As for the musical contents, I like the stripped-down album a lot, support the release of archival projects, and am glad this exists, but I'm going to confess that I haven't enjoyed the session material as much as I'd hoped to.  Burn me at the stake for saying it if you must, but I did find that I tired of the Boys' company after a while, especially when they were mucking about.  Possibly a sense of humour mismatch.
I expect I've made the mistake myself, but 'dialogue' is the proper spelling for British and American English, for now. I imagine Americans will use 'dialog' increasingly because of 'catalog' and 'dialog box.'
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 29, 2015, 03:21:46 PM »

I expect I've made the mistake myself, but 'dialogue' is the proper spelling for British and American English, for now. I imagine Americans will use 'dialog' increasingly because of 'catalog' and 'dialog box.'

Wow, I'd got so used to seeing "dialog" everywhere that I never imagined that.  Certainly if you rip the CDs then all of the "dialogue" tracks get auto-titled as "dialog", so somebody should have a word.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 29, 2015, 03:34:55 PM »

Wow, I'd got so used to seeing "dialog" everywhere that I never imagined that.  Certainly if you rip the CDs then all of the "dialogue" tracks get auto-titled as "dialog", so somebody should have a word.
Blame it on Microsoft. They named the 'dialog box' and now anyone who programs anything thinks that's how it's spelled.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 29, 2015, 03:40:42 PM »

Blame it on Microsoft.

This is often a fair policy, and provides me with a great excuse for my earlier comments.  On the minus side, I now find that I am substantially less excited by the new Beach Boys CD.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 06, 2016, 01:35:06 PM »

Not having the boots, I had never heard them do "Satisfaction" or "Blowing In The Wind" before. Enjoyable. (Listened on Apple Music, of which I'm on my free trial at the moment)

Had the same response as you. Received this CD for Christmas along with the Love and Mercy soundtrack. Al's Blowing In The Wind was the highlight for me and I really like Satisfaction as well. It's also nice to hear them all having a really good time considering how weird things would soon become.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 06, 2016, 04:41:43 PM »

Quick review. The stripped down PartY! is very nice. Without the party fx, it does have an unplugged feel.

The session tapes and accompanying booklet (with outstanding notes by Craig) sound and read fantastic.

This set is hands down a "must have".  10/10
Agreed - Just got this a few days ago.  Found it in Best Buy where they, now, apparently have no special Beach Boys divider.  Just a generic "B" in the filing system. 

Apart from that, it was delightful to walk out of a store with a new BB sessions of anything.  Absolutely delightful, in the car, and I have not listened to Party in several decades. 

The acoustic guitars, crisp vocals, and no artistic drama.  Love it and I will play it.   Nice hats off to the Beatles, and fun Hully Gully and Al Jardine with his folky flair.   Fun and unplugged.  A  sweet little treasure.   Wink   
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 06, 2016, 05:27:06 PM »

The unplugged Party is excellent, definitely an improvement on the original.  The sessions however add nothing to what has been previously released on Sea of Tunes - however they did squeeze the sessions onto 2 discs rather than 3.
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 19, 2016, 01:51:19 PM »

Picked up the 2 CD version at Best Buy the other day.  It is a sweet little treasure, as filledeplage says.

Dennis Wilson played a mean harmonica!  I didn't know that.  Also, Al does a fine job on "Blowin' in the Wind."

There's a color centerspread photo of the Boys and others gathered close together, as if at a party.  I recognize the 6 Beach Boys, Dennis's wife Carol (Carole?), and Marilyn.  That leaves 6 women and one man.  Can anyone identify them?  Someone asked this question several pages back in this thread.  I don't think the guy is Carl Korthof (we only see the left side of his head).
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 19, 2016, 03:14:31 PM »

I see Ron Swallow with either his girlfriend or wife, Terry Melcher,  that girl next to Al must be his girlfriend and Wife Linda, Carl and his wife Annie Hinsche or could be a different girl. Of course Brian and Marilyn and Dennis and Carol. Looks like Mike's wife is there with him too, Amy?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 03:16:32 PM by branaa09 » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 19, 2016, 04:34:32 PM »

Mike's wife at the time was Suzanne belcher
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 20, 2016, 08:53:55 AM »

Aside from the six Beach Boys (including Bruce), there's only one man in the photo (this is in the centerspread of the CD booklet for the US release).  It doesn't look like Terry.  As for the ladies, I don't see one with Annie Hinsche's coloring.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 20, 2016, 11:19:14 AM »

Carl met Annie hinsche during The time period  this album was made and got engaged to her in November
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: January 21, 2016, 12:32:18 AM »

Mike's wife at the time was Suzanne belcher

She should have married Terry Melcher instead of Mike and take the name Belcher-Melcher.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
KDS
« Reply #242 on: January 21, 2016, 06:49:39 AM »

I finally listened to this album the other day. 

I have to say the Party album without the "party" overdubs is far superior to the original version. 
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 21, 2016, 07:50:21 AM »

She should have married Terry Melcher instead of Mike and take the name Belcher-Melcher.
I think she would have had to work that out with Candice Bergen.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 31, 2016, 06:59:25 PM »

The unplugged Party is excellent, definitely an improvement on the original.  The sessions however add nothing to what has been previously released on Sea of Tunes - however they did squeeze the sessions onto 2 discs rather than 3.

A few years ago I condensed the Party SOT release down to one 80-minute CD, with the goal of including all unique titles while eliminating repetition.  I wouldn't otherwise have listened to Party, but I like the self-made compilation.  Bicyclerider- you say that these new discs add nothing new.  I'm not sure if you mean that in a general sense, or if there might be a few new titles (or extended versions of existing titles) on there.  Has anyone looked at that in detail?
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 01, 2016, 12:22:48 AM »

It's not Terry in the picture, it's Stephen Love, confirmed to me by Marilyn, and that's her friend Sheri next to Carl...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 01, 2016, 12:53:00 AM »

It's not Terry in the picture, it's Stephen Love, confirmed to me by Marilyn, and that's her friend Sheri next to Carl...

That's gotta be it.  Thanks, Malc ... and Marilyn.
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 20, 2016, 10:15:58 PM »

Quite a bump, but it's worthy information...

If you haven't bought the CD yet, Amazon has their package with the 12x12 lithograph for $7.45 right now. (CD only is $16.59)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B017IF3SVW/ref=ya_st_dp_summary
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx