gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:21:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread  (Read 27213 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2019, 05:54:04 AM »

This is what my young friend has to say about this song in her piece on Syd Barrett:

"I consider 'See Emily Play' was to England what 'White Rabbit' was to America in 1967. That is to say, a compact, groundbreaking single which toed the line between being mind-blowing yet still accessible for a wide audience. These two were the tracks that served to introduce people into more avant garde psychedelic rock."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8EpAv4miA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/See_Emily_Play
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 05:16:50 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

Gen X'er "Living in the Past"

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2019, 08:50:31 PM »

Hi JK, sorry this response is so late in coming.

For me, the saddest Pink Floyd song of all is "Cirrus Minor".  

Oh my, yes. How could I have forgotten "More"? I remember buying it as a teenager and shedding tears when I heard this track and "Crying Song." "Cirrus Minor" seems so strange to me because it starts with nearly a minute's worth of happy, bright sounds of birds singing, only to give way to vocals and organ in a minor key, making the song sound sorrowful. The first word that came to mind upon listening to it again just now was 'dirge'. Interestingly, the lyrics themselves don't seem to contain any subject matter that would be cause for this sad feeling--they are neutral, simply describing the writer's surroundings--a churchyard, grass, a yellow bird, a weeping willow in water, the sun, moonlight. Then, towards the end of the song, the organ gets even more despairing, as you mentioned, with the wailing sound, but then at the very end that fades out and we are left with birds chirping again. Brilliant.

Your feeling about it being a cry about Syd is an interesting interpretation I had never considered before, but it fits, doesn't it? Though, I wonder what was going on in the movie "More" when this song played...I have never seen the film and don't know much about it.

Yeah, most of Waters' stuff is depressing. But it's so compelling I can't stop listening to it.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:52:18 PM by beachcat » Logged

"Star bright, star light,
Make this wish come true tonight..."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2019, 09:48:33 AM »

Hi JK, sorry this response is so late in coming.

For me, the saddest Pink Floyd song of all is "Cirrus Minor".  

Oh my, yes. How could I have forgotten "More"? I remember buying it as a teenager and shedding tears when I heard this track and "Crying Song." "Cirrus Minor" seems so strange to me because it starts with nearly a minute's worth of happy, bright sounds of birds singing, only to give way to vocals and organ in a minor key, making the song sound sorrowful. The first word that came to mind upon listening to it again just now was 'dirge'. Interestingly, the lyrics themselves don't seem to contain any subject matter that would be cause for this sad feeling--they are neutral, simply describing the writer's surroundings--a churchyard, grass, a yellow bird, a weeping willow in water, the sun, moonlight. Then, towards the end of the song, the organ gets even more despairing, as you mentioned, with the wailing sound, but then at the very end that fades out and we are left with birds chirping again. Brilliant.

Your feeling about it being a cry about Syd is an interesting interpretation I had never considered before, but it fits, doesn't it? Though, I wonder what was going on in the movie "More" when this song played...I have never seen the film and don't know much about it.

Yeah, most of Waters' stuff is depressing. But it's so compelling I can't stop listening to it.

No apology necessary, bc. I'd forgotten the birds at the end! Like life goes on regardless, or something.

I get the impression the film sequence would spoil the magical images this piece conjures up for the listener so we're best off without it.  Smokin

I'm afraid Waters' finest hour in my book is "Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk" from The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxzOpUE8dzg   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2019, 01:16:04 AM »

I get the impression the film sequence would spoil the magical images this piece conjures up for the listener so we're best off without it.  Smokin

I've seen it. The music deserves far better. Leave well alone! Shocked
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 01:37:35 PM by JK » Logged

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2019, 05:30:06 PM »

If anybody here has never seen Dark Side of the Rainbow, you need to click on this link and watch it now. You will never listen to Dark Side of the Moon the same again:
https://vimeo.com/163408854

Might want to have a beer or two first.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 05:32:13 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2019, 02:38:39 AM »

If anybody here has never seen Dark Side of the Rainbow, you need to click on this link and watch it now. You will never listen to Dark Side of the Moon the same again:

Ah. Now that's what I did with "Cirrus Minor" and the accompanying film footage. I think my original mental images of that song have survived intact because the music is so strong and the film is so forgettable. But I'm not taking any chances now. Grin

On this subject, here are six tryouts of The American Metropolitan Circus, Lang's Metropolis synchronized with the self-titled 1968 album by The United States of America:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChFhIz948EdMaVCbftisLNQ

I was lucky enough to watch a big chunk of the completed version before YouTube removed it. The thing is, unlike TDSOTM I had no strong mental picture of the USA album at the time. Wink 

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2019, 03:19:20 PM »

^
Hey thanks for the link, I gotta watch it.
beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

Gen X'er "Living in the Past"

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2019, 07:52:52 PM »

On this subject, here are six tryouts of The American Metropolitan Circus, Lang's Metropolis synchronized with the self-titled 1968 album by The United States of America:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChFhIz948EdMaVCbftisLNQ

This is fantastic, thanks! I've watched Metropolis thrice with different soundtracks each time, but this one is my new favorite...

"Star bright, star light,
Make this wish come true tonight..."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2019, 01:29:46 AM »

This is fantastic, thanks! I've watched Metropolis thrice with different soundtracks each time, but this one is my new favorite...

Glad to oblige, bc. This is the uploader's description of the original version:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23322.msg557104.html#msg557104

That's one super-creative and astonishingly prolific individual (not least in the alias department--the last post in that topic is another!). She'll be so pleased you like it.  Smiley

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2019, 02:15:01 AM »

Listened to "See Emily Play" twice with good stereo system - nope, still terribly boring as ever, what people find great about it? It's very nothing special, I could write the essay about it. 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2019, 05:23:35 AM »

Although my personal favourite from Piper is "Matilda Mother", I'll link "Flaming" instead, as it holds special memories for me. In mono--of course!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGU9fAkrc98

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2019, 07:50:08 PM »

I like "Mathilda" but especially "Lucifer Sam" with cool guitars & fx.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2019, 08:22:54 PM »

Lucifer Sam is awesome, even if Stone Temple Pilots later cribbed the guitar riff for “Sex Type Thing “ years later!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2019, 09:16:16 PM »

Yes, "suspicious" "crime detective" riffs = cool. Say, "Hey Bulldog".

spgass
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2023, 01:44:43 PM »

I've gotten into a Pink Floyd phase the past couple of months.  Of course I had heard some of their songs growing up, but never got into them before recently.  My favorite albums are THDSOTM and Meddle.  When Time transitions into The Great Gig In The Sky, I am actually reminded of BW's piano playing...

Aww, sorry to hear that! But at least you gave Animals a try. Though I love the album, I find I have to be in a rather dark mood to listen to it, myself.

Interesting, your last sentence. I find Waters' stuff almost consistently depressing! So from TDSOTM this is the Richard Wright composition "The Great Gig In The Sky", an example of a track where wordless vocals say more than lyrics ever could. It may be Wright's finest hour as a pianist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVBCE3gaNxc
spgass
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2023, 04:57:50 PM »

My appreciation of Pink Floyd stops with WYWH (and there are many things before then that I can't warm to). I tried The Wall and I even own The Final Cut--although I do like some songs on both they could all fit on a single CD as far as I'm concerned.  Grin

My appreciation of Pink Floyd stops with WYWH (and there are many things before then that I can't warm to). I tried The Wall and I even own The Final Cut--although I do like some songs on both they could all fit on a single CD as far as I'm concerned.  Grin

I pretty much agree.  Despite being recommended by a friend, I removed The Final Cut from my music library and  I don't enjoy listening to The Wall in its entirety.  Without worrying too much about the story, I took a stab at creating a shorter The Wall album with the songs I like:  https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3qQgUFMF8lUXaM1XhmKNCB

I do like how "the band" in The Wall does some Beach Boys style harmonies...
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx