gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:08:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Talk About Awards For Love and Mercy  (Read 20743 times)
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2015, 01:18:33 AM »

Hey Good Vibrations, I love this quote from the article you posted;

ME: That was the most fantastic concert. You’re proud of this movie aren’t you?
BRIAN WILSON: Oh yeah, it’s doing very well.
ME: Isn’t great to have a movie like this made?
BRIAN WILSON: Oh yeah. Hey, nice talking to you.
ME: Huh?
BRIAN WILSON: Nice talking to you. I’m writing a song in my head right now.

That is just cool beyond words.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2015, 06:59:54 AM »

Haha, yea, I busted out laughing when I read that part!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2015, 05:27:25 PM »

Hey Good Vibrations, I love this quote from the article you posted;

ME: That was the most fantastic concert. You’re proud of this movie aren’t you?
BRIAN WILSON: Oh yeah, it’s doing very well.
ME: Isn’t great to have a movie like this made?
BRIAN WILSON: Oh yeah. Hey, nice talking to you.
ME: Huh?
BRIAN WILSON: Nice talking to you. I’m writing a song in my head right now.

That is just cool beyond words.

LOL LOL

He doesn't even pretend to care for interviews anymore

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
KDS
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2015, 12:26:13 PM »

According to Screen Crush, Paul Dano was nominated for self supporting actor in Love and Mercy for the 2016 Independent Spirit Awards.

http://screencrush.com/2016-spirit-awards-nominees/
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2015, 01:31:39 PM »

According to Screen Crush, Paul Dano was nominated for self supporting actor in Love and Mercy for the 2016 Independent Spirit Awards.

http://screencrush.com/2016-spirit-awards-nominees/
I'm glad he supported himself.
Just kidding...That's really awesome.  I wonder if, for these awards, the actors make submissions, or if they are just selected by a panel. If the actors make submissions, it's interesting that Dano is under Best Supporting. Puts a whole new light on Oscar consideration.

PS I love, love, love Cate Blanchett.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2015, 05:45:53 AM »

From Facebook: Brian & Melinda wish to congratulate Paul Dano for winning Best Actor last night at the 25th annual Gotham Independent Film Awards, for his performance as Brian Wilson in "Love & Mercy."

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2015, 07:01:01 AM »

From Facebook: Brian & Melinda wish to congratulate Paul Dano for winning Best Actor last night at the 25th annual Gotham Independent Film Awards, for his performance as Brian Wilson in "Love & Mercy."
Yay. Each serious award gives a nudge to academy voters.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2015, 08:05:29 AM »

Richly deserved.

“We live in divisive times.”
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2015, 10:27:03 AM »

I truly wish the film and its actors/actresses/directors receive as many nominations/awards that can come their way.  In my own morbid way looking to the future, I relish this love for Brian RISE UP, just as.......Mikes book comes out over the next year trying to change Beach Boys history.  Sorry to all for my last comment as I'm NOT trying to hijack the thread.  By having the film industry cement Love and Mercy as a justifiable biopic of early Beach Boys history.  I feel IMO, this will help with all the garbage about to thrown into BW's back yard from the other side of the fence in about a years time.

To the Mods, if you feel this post is undesirable....please delete.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2015, 11:07:40 AM »

Fantastic news, hope this snowballs into a nice shelf full of awards over the next few months!
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2015, 11:09:15 AM »

A mister Van Dyke Parks said it was a combination of Reefer Madness and Fantasia. You need not fret about any book next year.

I see the film was also nominated for best screenplay but did not win. Congrats to Dano. A lot of the stuff that won sounds downright awful to me. But then that's nothing new.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2015, 11:31:48 AM »

Fantastic news, hope this snowballs into a nice shelf full of awards over the next few months!

Given all the awards Paul Dano already has, he'll need to add another shelf, I fear.  He probably won't mind.

I'm sure we'll be seeing many more of these awards for various people who contributed to Love & Mercy.  It was a brilliant film, worthy of its subject.  All this, and the charity work that the First Lady honored in her letter alone would have made for a stellar year for Mr. Wilson.  But then he had this phenomenal tour that has included Brian's best performances in memory and the No Pier Pressure release.  

It's a good time to be a fan. 

I guess this thread has changed from "Talk About Awards for Love and Mercy" to "Awards for Love and Mercy."
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 11:45:33 AM by Debbie KL » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2015, 11:32:40 AM »

I truly wish the film and its actors/actresses/directors receive as many nominations/awards that can come their way.  In my own morbid way looking to the future, I relish this love for Brian RISE UP, just as.......Mikes book comes out over the next year trying to change Beach Boys history.  Sorry to all for my last comment as I'm NOT trying to hijack the thread.  By having the film industry cement Love and Mercy as a justifiable biopic of early Beach Boys history.  I feel IMO, this will help with all the garbage about to thrown into BW's back yard from the other side of the fence in about a years time.

To the Mods, if you feel this post is undesirable....please delete.

Understand your fears but let's wait see. They could be unfounded - I'd predict a little wriggling, a little chest beating… but hopefully blood is thicker than water and there'll be some real affection for Cousin Brian.

“We live in divisive times.”
KDS
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2015, 11:44:41 AM »

Given all the awards Paul Dano already has, he'll need to add another shelf, I fear.  He probably won't mind.

I'm sure we'll be seeing many more of these awards for various people who contributed to Love & Mercy.  It was a brilliant film, worthy of its subject.  All this, and the charity work that the First Lady honored in her letter alone would have made for a stellar year for Mr. Wilson.  But then he had this phenomenal tour that has included Brian's best performances in memory and the No Pier Pressure release. 

It's a good time to be a fan.

Yes, and as we head into the final month of a great calendar year for Brian Wilson, and his fans, we have more to look forward to in 2016

-More awards for Love and Mercy

-Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary Tour

-Brian's autobiography
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2015, 06:47:13 PM »

Congrats to Paul Dano! A very well deserved award!
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2015, 03:44:11 PM »

From Brian's Facebook:

Congratulations to "Love & Mercy" on four nominations from this year’s International Press Academy’s Satellite Awards! Winners will be announced February 21.
NOMINATIONS:
Paul Dano: Actor in a Supporting Role
Elizabeth Banks: Actress in a Supporting Role
Michael A. Lerner/ Oren Moverman: Screenplay, Original
“One Kind of Love”: Original Song
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2015, 04:05:55 PM »

From Brian's Facebook:

Congratulations to "Love & Mercy" on four nominations from this year’s International Press Academy’s Satellite Awards! Winners will be announced February 21.
NOMINATIONS:
Paul Dano: Actor in a Supporting Role
Elizabeth Banks: Actress in a Supporting Role
Michael A. Lerner/ Oren Moverman: Screenplay, Original
“One Kind of Love”: Original Song
I would've thought they'd be putting Dano in lead and Cusack in supporting.
I guess with Dano in supporting he has a better chance of winning.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2015, 03:37:32 PM »

Wonderful

Hopefully a sign of things to come

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2015, 04:43:43 PM »

https://www.thewrap.com/spotlight-named-best-picture-by-new-york-film-critics-online/

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2015, 05:07:43 PM »

Congrats to Paul Dano and whoever gets the award for best use of music… Atticus Ross?
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2015, 05:26:47 PM »

Paul Dano seems to be gathering some momentum.
Does one "gather" momentum? Seems weird. Gaining momentum, perhaps.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2015, 07:27:53 PM »

Does one "gather" momentum? Seems weird. Gaining momentum, perhaps.

Hopefully.

Oscars and Globes are more of a popularity contest these days.

I'm not holding out much for for L&M getting many noms.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2015, 07:29:48 PM »

Definitely. It's going to do well.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:19:15 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
nakostopoulos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2015, 08:36:27 PM »

Sadly, we have to look at the reality of how Lionsgate marketed and chose to release this movie. The choice of June date Stateside, in spite of its obvious connection to what the public thinks of when they hear "the Beach Boys", really points to Lionsgate's strategy.

1. Pick a prestigious biographical movie that's told in a rather unorthodox, somewhat challenging manner (compared to something like "Walk the Line")
2. Put up a respectable, but not effusive marketing strategy.
3. Dump it in the middle of a season devoted almost solely to children and teens.

"Why?" you may well ask. Simple: the studio that's making crazy amounts of money on "The Hunger Games" can afford to put a minimal amount of effort into promoting a film that would have struggled  to be made anywhere. I hear the rising indignation, but let's be ruthlessly real, here: it's a rather troubling story about mental illness, centered around a man who is more famous to the vast majority of the public as a member of what amounts to a 60s nostalgia act, if they know the members' names at all.  

Under the admittedly harsh light of day, the facts are these: it grossed 28 mill worldwide; 16 million stateside. Respectable--but Hollywood accounting factors in print and advertising costs in such a way that at the end of the year, "Love & Mercy" will be written off as a financial loss. (It's really no big though when you have Jennifer Lawrence steamrolling every other movie in existence come November.)

What does this have to do with its awards chances? Nothing--and everything. I love that Dano's on a bit of a roll, but these smaller kinds of awards require almost no real external promotion from the studio. Yes, there is something almost craven (but clever as hell) in that a studio like Lionsgate treats this movie as an afterthought, but is still perfectly able to pat themselves on the back as Dano wins these middle-tier awards; but then again, that's partially why they made it--they can take all of the credit, and none of the blame, because they set it up for a soft landing.

As for the larger awards, it stands to reason that given how Lionsgate basically threw the picture with serious awards chops into theaters three full months away from awards season, we already have a pretty decent indication of how much they care.

Dano's phenomenal (saw it three times in theaters, own the DVD), and were there justice in this world, he would undoubtedly be nominated for an Oscar (a fan of Brian aside, this performance allowed Dano to synthesize the cuddly and unnerving personalities he has often used, into a beautiful whole), but forget justice--money talks.

Lionsgate will mount a respectable campaign at most, without bothering to spend the money necessary to push the film to the forefront of voters' minds. Happy for Dano though, that he is being recognized by the critics groups; it's more about merit than popularity there.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:58:18 PM by nakostopoulos » Logged
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2015, 09:20:08 PM »

It's not about doing Transformers box office. It's about playing the game, doing the rounds, putting horse heads in critics' beds. The producers know how to do that great, just watch! They are doing more of the heavy lifting than Lionsgate.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:21:53 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx