gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 09:43:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I had the opportunity to listen to Rio Grande while on LSD and can I just say...  (Read 5610 times)
glimpse_of_divinity
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2015, 12:44:41 PM »

To people who think this music is 'overrated' or 'not that good' you're all insane. This piece is incredible. It's a fully realized version of what he was trying to accomplish in Smile and (here comes the shocker) THE SONGWRITING IS JUST AS GOOD :O

PUT ANY OF THESE SEGMENTS (songwriting, not lyrics) ON THE SMILE OUTTAKES AND NONE OF YOU WOULD BAT AN EYE.

Anyway...

This suite is spiritual, and ADULT. I emphasize the last bit because Brian actually FINISHED IT and made it work rather than getting stoned and leaving behind a glimpse of perfection requiring the listener to fill in the gaps.

HERE'S MY LISTENING EXPERIENCE WITH THE SECTIONS:

The beginning...spiritual water wanderings....the bass comes in a with heavy RUMPH on the beginning of each measure. It's the heartbeat of the river. The melody overtop is the ripples of the waves, the lillies, the birds and fish. Go for a swim! RUMPH ba ba ba, ba ba ba, RUMPH ba ba ba, ba ba ba.... stop comparing it to smile and let the bass grab your soul and drown you in his weird majestic watery sounds.

Then we go to the old west/country theme. Again, the bass sets it in motion. Recognize the rhythm of the bass? California girls. And a billion other American songs. Brian shows how certain nuances in music travel across generations.  Here was have the old frontier rhythm (which goes back to Bach as the great Brian has said).  We got a yippy yi yay cowboy thing going on. "But wait, this isn't heroes and villains' yeah NO sh*t it's not a full song it's part of a larger thematic image and guess what the songwriting is GREAT BECAUSE IT'S BRIAN WILSON. Eugene Landy couldn't possibly write sh*t like this so dont give him credit.

Cherokee- trade (TRADE!) cartoon element with the coil noise and such...classic Brian...

Then we go to first 'big river' section.

Again we have a RUMPH 'and the great big river' ....same idea...but more complete. I listened and I WAS THE LITTLE MAN, AND BOY DID I UNDERSTAND that some things in life you dont have power over. This is an adult message that makes part of the music so brilliant.

This song is incredibly trippy. There's a whole 'hero's journey' thing going on, various forces of good and evil...and when the harmonies hit you know this music was composed by a sheer genius who had special access to a realm of divine musical beauty and scope.

Rain dance good, end of rain section BEAUTIFUL SWEET GRAND BRIAN WILSON music please enjoy this people, he made it for you to enjoy! It's so majestic. The river is deep and wide. Grandiose metaphors all over. Incredible and trippy.

Night bloomin is cool and perfectly wonderful music.

The end (recall to 2nd river section) is beautiful and circular...the song doesn't really 'end' the river goes on and on and he's painted a few pictures for you to witness life along the Rio Grande.

This is a beautiful and incredible piece of music that deserves to go down as an all-time great in the Brian Wilson catalog and the cultural history of the United States.

*And don't tell me Landy had too much influence he allegedly wanted to make it a family suite. Also just LISTEN TO THE MUSIC it's Brian through and through. Don't give Landy that kind of credit.
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 01:06:57 PM »

I agree Rio Grande is hugely under-rated around here. For me, it's one of Brian's greatest moments ever. I've never touched LSD but I can relate to a lot of where you're coming from re. this track.

My guess how this thread might go is - how much of it is Brian and how much Andy Paley??  Personally, I don't care, they did a great job Grin.

I've come to associate Rio Grande with Dennis' River Song, what with both being epic productions with lyrical metaphors relating to 'great' and 'mighty' rivers 'rollin' on and on' 'endlessly'.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 02:36:58 PM »

It's a pretty good track, but it would probably help to be using LSD if you were to think it was THAT great.  It gets to be somewhat tedious with repeated listenings.  Kind of the Abbey Road thing, string together a bunch of fragments that didn't make songs on their own....What was it that Lennon said about the second side of Abbey, that it was pretty lousy or something to that effect, bunch of incomplete tunes strung together.  I've never been much on most of the Beatles stuff past Revolver.  Just kinda weedy music, in general.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 05:15:11 PM »

It's an A-1 Brian song.  The production on that album is sadly/badly/fadly/Egadsly dated though.  Trying to sound 'comtemporary' is like the best man and ushers wearing brown tuxes to a wedding.  Seemed like a good idea at the time.  BUT...in retrospect?  OH SHYTE!!!!! Shocked

That stupid and short-lived crap-prod of the later 80s was just plain dorkish.

T'was like this computerized hippy/hoppy poop that's passed for hit music these past 15-20 years.  [while killing the music industry, artist careers, radio and ratings and sanity]  It'll all sound oh so dated like Dick Hyman's Electric Eclectics in years to come.   [Sorry...Hot Butter's Popcorn?  No?  Switched on Bach?]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 06:51:48 PM »

I enjoyed it, and didn't even need to be high!

Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 09:21:40 PM »

To anyone who likes this track, I would strongly advise you to get the expanded version of the album on CD with the bonus cuts.  The instrumental sections of this song are amazing to hear, and with Brian counting off the sections, it sounds like something off of the Smile sessions.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 10:34:28 PM »

This reminds me of another brilliant first post: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9139.msg155210.html#msg155210

Nobody/Ghost: have you returned!???1!

I would've liked to have heard Landy's fabled Life Suite. wonder what that would've been like
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 10:35:20 PM by Bittersweet-Sanity » Logged

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 03:36:53 AM »

I had the opportunity to listen to Summer in Paradise while on LSD and can I just say...

I decided against it...
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 04:34:58 AM »

I had the opportunity to listen to Summer in Paradise while on LSD and can I just say...

I decided against it...

Wise choice. Great music is great, regardless of whether you or high or low or somewhere in between. As Bruce told the Obama fan in 2012, "trust me."
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 08:36:03 AM »

It's 'cherokee trail' but I agree wholeheartedly it's an amazing track. I've had the pleasure of listening in various altered states and straight. Always beautiful.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 12:20:14 PM »

It's 'cherokee trail' but I agree wholeheartedly it's an amazing track. I've had the pleasure of listening in various altered states and straight. Always beautiful.

I thought it was Cherokee "train".

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 12:23:14 PM »

Who else is in for a "acid test" listening party to Rio Grande at glimpses of divinity's house?  Give us a date and time!
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 06:41:36 PM »

It shattered my mind....

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 06:43:36 PM »

What is Rio Grande please? Thank you
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 06:49:10 PM »

It's a great tune on Brian's FIRST solo lp... Cool Guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6N2EVifCEc
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:50:45 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 11:21:37 PM »

I grew up too late to try LSD legally, but I do believe it would be won-won-wonderful to listen to this track on the dreaded lysergic. I keep hoping the Wondermints will one day do this song live with Brian.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 11:38:07 PM »

the dreaded lysergic.
microscope... it looks like little bits of rope.

I enjoyed it, and didn't even need to be high!

Yes! Sleep deprivation is the only drug that you need.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 11:43:57 AM »

the dreaded lysergic.
Heh.  I was thinking the exact same thing.  Wink
Matt Etherton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 07:42:13 PM »

For those of us who don't like drug music, the song isn't that good. Kinda boring and odd.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 07:47:42 PM »

That's what I thought about "Alone on Christmas Day." Maybe people bigtime into painkillers will like it, tho. Or when you're coming down a heavy Pepcid AC trip.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 07:50:34 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 07:51:53 PM »

That's what I thought about "Alone on Christmas Day." Maybe people bigtime into painkillers will like it, tho.

Sizzurp drinkers know the good jams, too. Nothing like unreleased 70's Christmas tunes and a double cup of lean to ring in the holiday festivities.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 12:24:39 AM »

the dreaded lysergic.
Heh.  I was thinking the exact same thing.  Wink
I'm not putting that in my brain anymore.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 10:08:24 PM »

Just say no
glimpse_of_divinity
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2016, 01:22:33 PM »

This reminds me of another brilliant first post: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9139.msg155210.html#msg155210

Nobody/Ghost: have you returned!???1!

I would've liked to have heard Landy's fabled Life Suite. wonder what that would've been like

SORRY FOR LATE REPLY BUT I JUST READ THIS AND AGREE WITH IT 100%

BRIAN DID THINGS WITH SYNTHESIZERS THAT NO ONE HAS DONE SINCE.

IF HE EVER MADE LOVE YOU 2 IT WOULD BE THE A GREAT HIT AMONG DMT ALIENS.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx