gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:31:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BRiAN WiLS0N LUVS U - 2012  (Read 10065 times)
nobody is a chode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2010, 12:09:35 PM »

Andrew Locke Hi Brian, your music is an inspiration! My question is: in the late 70s you played around a lot with a Moog synth you owned. One of my favorite albums ever is "The Beach Boys Love You" mostly because of all the amazing Moog baselines you put in all the songs. Have you ever considered working on new music that incorporated some of those weirder textures and different instruments?

Brian Wilson Andrew: yeah, I would defintitely consider it - i love that instrument
[/b]

Well, oh my, oh gosh, oh gee...

Let us begin.

I dig the Gershwin album, alright. But we all know Brian sold his soul to the psychedelic devil many trips ago. In return, he gained the closely guarded esoteric knowledge of how to make genius space pop on synthesizers. This knowledge has been neglected and put in a sock drawer to waste for far too long. That Lucky Old Sun? Get the f*** outta here. Gimme some Funky Pretty anyday, anyway.

In the same exact way the Beach Boys were pigeonholed into being an oldies act, you people have pigeonholed Brian into being "that Pet Sounds guy" who makes records like that. So Paul von Mertens (what is he, from Transylvania or something?) makes everything sound like it's 1966 again. f*** that noise, jack.

Gimme some Roller Skating Child ! - the greatest single never released. Check out Brian grooving away on bass to that live in 1978. You'll never see that for the Gershwin material or That Ssucky Old Sun.

Gimme some Solar System ! - not "duplicate the universe".

So here's what I propose. Brian fires everyone in his band and divorces Melinda. At the same time, Marilyn divorces her husband and she and Brian move into a home together like the good old days. To cement their rekindled love (as in "Forever She'll Be My Surfer Girl"), Marilyn buys Brian a new home studio with tons of synthesizers and moogs and all sorts of groovy sh*t. Daily, she makes a tray of sandwiches with a side of hash joints, LSD blotters, mountains of snowy white cocaine, a few vials of ketamine, and a truckload of whipped cream cans. Also spending time at the house is Marilyn's eleven year old genetic clone. Brian gets the inspiration. He starts recording. One month later we have Love You II. Not an imitation, something far beyond that. It's the culmination of Western music. It's Bach on LSD in another galaxy. It's Mozart on coke in his underwear and birthday cake in his beard.

Which reminds me, right after firing the band and woman, Brian also throws away his razor and grows back his beard. Within each follicle of beard hair lies a MONA, a JOHNNY CARSON, each encoded into his DNA.

Don't dismiss this idea right away. Give it some time to gestate in your mind. Take it, one little inch at a time now, till we're feeling fine now. Somebody please send a link to this thread to Brian - and to BRIAN, not his prison guards. Drop it by helicopter as he's sunning himself by the pool if you have to. Just get it to him!

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 12:11:31 PM »

Brilliant

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 12:22:17 PM »

An old ass man smokes a fat kush joint and falls asleep as a message board waits patientally. Waking, he raises a mighty paw and slams it on a moog while both farting and burping.
The reviews come in.
"A return to form, his best since he recorded the great album Pet Sounds (one of the greatest album my ears has heard)."
"Mr. Wilson combines the artistry of lo-fi heroes like Jandek with his signature surf sound. This baddies a Surf Noir hit and quirky too".

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 12:24:21 PM »

Best first post ever(?).

"Jeff, you care." --BW
nobody is a chode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 12:24:27 PM »

An old ass man smokes a fat kush joint and falls asleep as a message board waits patientally. Waking, he raises a mighty paw and slams it on a moog while both farting and burping.
The reviews come in.
"A return to form, his best since he recorded the great album Pet Sounds (one of the greatest album my ears has heard)."
"Mr. Wilson combines the artistry of lo-fi heroes like Jandek with his signature surf sound. This baddies a Surf Noir hit and quirky too".

Umm, hello??? Brian's not "an old ass man".

Don't you know "it's just a state of mind"Huh

summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 12:27:03 PM »

The reviews come in.

Umm, hello??? Brian's not "an old ass man".

Don't you know "it's just a state of mind"Huh

DENIAL AIN"T JUST A RIVER IN EGYPT

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 12:27:34 PM »

What the hell?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
nobody is a chode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 12:29:33 PM »

What the hell?

It might sound extreme, but consider this - Jeff Foskett HATES Love You. How can anyone hate Love You? That's like hating puppies, children, all things good on God's green and blue psychedelic earth.

Jeff Foskett has no soul. The sooner he's out of the band, the better.

Darian might be able to stay, on one condition - he trips on LSD with Brian several times.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 12:35:05 PM »

YES!!! YES!!!! YES!!!!! Who needs Gershwin when you've got Moogs, beards, and bathrobes!!!!! "To get you babe I went through the ringerrrr..." "Ding! Dang! Whoo! Ding and a ding dong!!" At least Al had the sense to put Honkin' Down The Highway on his new record.  LOL LOL LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jason
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 12:35:27 PM »

David Leaf hates Love You too, so what's your point? Lay off the hookah.
nobody is a chode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 12:37:23 PM »

David Leaf hates Love You too, so what's your point? Lay off the hookah.

How about you lay off the moderator ego?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 12:48:55 PM »

Thank god the night is so young

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jason
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 12:50:15 PM »

I think, in the grand scheme of Beach Boys fandom, you'll learn that Love You is rarely enjoyed by the people close to the band. A lot of the old guard fans don't get into it either.

I'm sure you know that Brian has no say in his setlists in concert. That's dictated by the BRIAN WILSON PROMOTIONAL MACHINE. If Brian had his say, we'd have had a Love You tour before a Pet Sounds tour.

I'm just saying, maybe you should just have the entire fanbase close to Brian doused in Agent Orange, perhaps?
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 12:51:39 PM »

Took me a while to really get into it...but now I listen to it 10 times as much as I do PS or SMiLE.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
nobody is a chode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 12:53:12 PM »

I understand that Love You is not understood or even liked by many people close to Brian or the "promotional machine", and this is exactly why I say - f*** all of them, fire their asses until they CRAVE that album.

Hating Love You is like hating Smiley, Honey, Friends, Pied Piper... i.e., everything the real Brian stood for when he wasn't making music to storm the charts.

Love You is a real desert island album. Not that Pet Sounds trash.
Jason
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 12:56:02 PM »

Hey man, as far as I'm concerned, if people are gonna hate on Smiley Smile and Love You in my presence, well, we're gonna have to get a referee because there'll be a deathmatch. Those two albums are the best examples of the "Brian Wilson is a genius" myth.
nobody is a chode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 12:57:16 PM »

Hey man, as far as I'm concerned, if people are gonna hate on Smiley Smile and Love You in my presence, well, we're gonna have to get a referee because there'll be a deathmatch. Those two albums are the best examples of the "Brian Wilson is a genius" myth.

Myth? You've heard Wind Chiiiiiiiiiiimes, right? I mean, really heard it?

Ain't no myth man, it's cold hard fact.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 12:57:32 PM »

I'm sure you know that Brian has no say in his setlists in concert.

This simply isn't true.

He has personally been responsible for the introduction -- and deletion -- of several songs since he started touring.

Sure, I doubt he makes up the master setlists. But to say he has no input is incorrect.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:01:44 PM by Wirestone » Logged
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2010, 01:14:52 PM »

I'm still hoping Brian will release a "rock'n'roll album", and I'd like it to be "Love You, Vol. II (Brian Unleashed!)". But with the wife-and-managers, that's not going to happen.

Also, this thread has potential.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 01:19:29 PM »

I come from the old stock of Beach Boys fandom and I have enjoyed "The Beach Boys Love You" from the very day of its release in 1977. It is pure, simple genius. As far as listening to it, I place it right there with "The Beach Boys Today!" and "Sunflower".

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 01:21:40 PM »

Hating Love You is like hating Smiley, Honey, Friends, Pied Piper... i.e., everything the real Brian stood for when he wasn't making music to storm the charts.

YES.  I think that's why I loved TLOS so much: sure the shoehorned "autobiographical" narrative weaved through the tracks, but remove that and VDP penned monologues and the "concept" totally falls apart.  What we're left with however is several low-key Brian Wilson songs that very much remind me of the best elements of Wild Honey, Friends and even Love You.  Both "Good Kind of Love" and "Live Let Live" swing to the same light beat as the Friends LP.  "Oxygen To The Brian" is pure Love You/Adult Child self therapy, the aftermath of the earlier optimism of "H.E.L.P. Is On It's Way" and distant cousins of "Too Much Sugar" and "He Couldn't Get His Poor Body to Move".  "Midnight Is Another Day" seems to be the light at the end of the tunnel flip side of "Til I Die".  "Mexican Girl" is a G rated take on the obsessive romanticism of Love You's "Mona" or the naively lewd "Hey Little Tomboy", right down to the dorky organ stabs in the verses.

I'm also not a subscriber to the "Pet Sounds" as Brian's ultimate accomplishment musically.  Sure it's an excellent album, and completely revolutionary in terms of applying jazz chords and orchestration to rock music.  But for some reason, these days I am also drawn more to Brian's more "modest moments".  The chilled-out R&B of Wild Honey.  The quiet meditation of health and nature in Friends.  Desperately childlike romantic pleas of Love You.

Mr. Burr, I am with you.

VOTE MOOG!

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 01:25:46 PM »

Love You is brilliant, and one of my favorite BB albums. It's not perfect (and has a lot of finish work done by Carl, too). There are some seriously underwritten songs, and some seriously slapdash performances.

I think a tour would do a lot to reclaim the material. Bring in a few more players, and write a bridge to Mona. Then I'm good.

And totally in agreement on TLOS. Even more so on the bonus tracks, including "Just Like Me and You," which has this ridiculous synth "solo" that seems to be played with Brian's feet.
Jason
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 02:09:08 PM »

Myth? You've heard Wind Chiiiiiiiiiiimes, right? I mean, really heard it?

Ain't no myth man, it's cold hard fact.

Man, I was listening to Wind Chimes when you were still on training wheels! (kidding)

My relationship with the statement "Brian Wilson is a genius" is a storied one. It's also that way for Brian himself.
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 02:09:32 PM »

The demos of TLOS were even more Love You than the finished product. Speaking of which, if anyone has the demos still I need someone to Punch My ass.

rogerlancelot
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 02:50:53 PM »

I listened to Love You a few nights ago and still can't get "I'd Love To Pick You Up" out of my head. I think I'll record a cover of "Airplane" when I get home for the fun of it. I'll share it of course.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx