gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681338 Posts in 27635 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 04, 2024, 10:18:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Here's A Beatles project that one could only wish the BBs would emulate  (Read 8281 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2015, 01:38:34 PM »

From Rolling Stone today: 

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/dozens-of-beatles-videos-to-accompany-1-reissues-20150915?utm_source=newsletter&utm_content=daily&utm_campaign=091515_16&utm_medium=email

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 02:06:42 PM »

I've been wanting something like this for the Beatles to come out for years, probably since the Anthology DVD came out and the videos looked so cool there, I wanted to see them in their entirety.  And I agree, something like this should come out for the Beach Boys.  There was a bonus DVD that came with some editions of Sounds of Summer which was very good but too short.  There's so much great video footage of the Beach Boys that I'd love to see collected in one place: the Lost Concert (which was released on DVD but is long out of print), the various David Frost and Mike Douglas appearances, the Central park show, Hyde Park in 1972, the Midnight Special appearance, plus there's stuff we know that's out there that's never been seen before... paging Mr. Alan Boyd!

branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 10:15:14 PM »

Looks like all the Cedar Retouch experimenting for The Beatles Rock Band paid off, these new Stereo Mixes are awesome! Listen to some of the older stuff in the teaser video, Ringo's drums are separate from Paul's Bass especially on Day Tripper.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 11:22:39 PM »

I've been wanting something like this for the Beatles to come out for years, probably since the Anthology DVD came out and the videos looked so cool there, I wanted to see them in their entirety.  And I agree, something like this should come out for the Beach Boys.  There was a bonus DVD that came with some editions of Sounds of Summer which was very good but too short.  There's so much great video footage of the Beach Boys that I'd love to see collected in one place: the Lost Concert (which was released on DVD but is long out of print), the various David Frost and Mike Douglas appearances, the Central park show, Hyde Park in 1972, the Midnight Special appearance, plus there's stuff we know that's out there that's never been seen before... paging Mr. Alan Boyd!

The licensing fees would be prohibitive, considering the likely return.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 12:05:23 AM »

Other than the video for "Good Vibrations" and the Pet Sounds related videos on various documentaries, did The Beach Boys ever make promotional videos for any of their songs?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 12:09:11 AM »

Friends

Getcha Back and so on  Grin

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 12:22:08 AM »

Friends

Oh yeah, I forgot about the BB85 promo's. There was one for It's Getting Late too. And promo's for Still Cruisin, SIP, and a video for That's Why God Made The Radio.

The moral of this story is, never post a question without fully thinking it out first.  Grin

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 12:33:54 AM »

Friends

Oh yeah, I forgot about the BB85 promo's. There was one for It's Getting Late too. And promo's for Still Cruisin, SIP, and a video for That's Why God Made The Radio.

The moral of this story is, never post a question without fully thinking it out first.  Grin
I think:

California Dreamin
Rock and Roll to the Rescue
Wipe Out
Cottonfields

They could include the animated H&V that was entered for TSS comp.

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 12:34:29 AM »

That would certainly reduce traffic around here (my own guff included)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 12:37:02 AM »

I think:

California Dreamin
Wipe Out
Cottonfields

Hey John - don't forget the mother lode - Problem Child

Summer of Love

(and Crocodile Rock if you really want to get down to brass tacks)

Hope you're looking forward to Sunday night

- A
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 12:41:38 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 12:38:50 AM »

Friends

I think:

California Dreamin
Wipe Out
Cottonfields

There is also the promo film of Don't Go Near The Water, and another 70's promo that I can't think of at the moment. Do the La Light Album videos count(Good Timin', Here Come The Night, etc) or were they part of a tv show?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 12:39:51 AM »

That would certainly reduce traffic around here (my own guff included)
Well, Gee, thanks. I'll shut up now.  Razz

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 05:16:21 AM »

I think:

California Dreamin
Wipe Out
Cottonfields

Hey John - don't forget the mother lode - Problem Child

Summer of Love

(and Crocodile Rock if you really want to get down to brass tacks)

Hope you're looking forward to Sunday night

- A

On blimey, where am I meant to be Sunday night? Are you taking me for dinner Alan? Smiley

KDS
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 05:24:59 AM »

If I recall, they also did a video for....struggling with the name of the song.  But, Mike, Carl, Al, and Bruce were on the beach, and the guy from Full House was playing the bongos. 

But seriously, anything myself, or somebody else, suggests any kind of Beach Boys DVD, the main argument against it is the cost. 

Why is it that other classic bands seem to have no trouble putting out these collections?  AC/DC, , Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Queen, The Who, etc etc have all released video anthologies on DVD.   Were they just more willing to take the fiscal risk to reward their fans? 
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 05:29:47 AM »

On blimey, where am I meant to be Sunday night? Are you taking me for dinner Alan? Smiley
LOL  Well, I meant new season of Doctor Who, but happy to shout you a Sunday roast with a few parkins for desert, if I can get to your place in time (ie, no chance)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 05:35:46 AM »

But seriously, anything myself, or somebody else, suggests any kind of Beach Boys DVD, the main argument against it is the cost. 

Why is it that other classic bands seem to have no trouble putting out these collections?  AC/DC, , Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Queen, The Who, etc etc have all released video anthologies on DVD.   Were they just more willing to take the fiscal risk to reward their fans? 

BRI management need to answer that question.  Look at the mess the recent audio reissues have become, specifically the High Res digital releases, with 3 labels cranking out product at the same time - Acoustic Productions with X releases remastered by Kevin Gray, Capitol/UME picking up the slack and HD tracks getting in the middle with whatever comes their way.

If the audio reissues are subject to such cross handling, it doesn't forbode well for related media

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2015, 05:45:59 AM »

LOL  Well, I meant new season of Doctor Who, but happy to shout you a Sunday roast with a few parkins for desert, if I can get to your place in time (ie, no chance)

Aha, that's Saturday night here in UK-land… Sunday night is Brian's gig at the O2… or not as it turned out…

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2015, 05:50:49 AM »

Why is it that other classic bands seem to have no trouble putting out these collections?  AC/DC, , Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin, Queen, The Who, etc etc have all released video anthologies on DVD.   Were they just more willing to take the fiscal risk to reward their fans?  

BRI management need to answer that question.  Look at the mess the recent audio reissues have become, specifically the High Res digital releases, with 3 labels cranking out product at the same time - Acoustic Productions with X releases remastered by Kevin Gray, Capitol/UME picking up the slack and HD tracks getting in the middle with whatever comes their way.

If the audio reissues are subject to such cross handling, it doesn't forbode well for related media

The answer, in part, is that BRI hasn't had proper management in my opinion. That may not be the full explanation behind competing album reissues (not sure how much Capitol/UMe were behind that), but in general BRI hasn't seemed to be interested in management beyond acting as a holding company for the automatic royalties that come in from stuff like the touring license, etc.

As for why a BB video collection would be cost prohibitive and why other bands have done similar collections, there are many possible reasons. In some cases, those bands might own their own publishing, meaning they can negotiate cheaper sync licenses for the compositions (the BB's don't own the publishing on most of the 60s stuff). There is also the question of ownership of the video material. With some other bands, their label may own most or all of their videos, and may have been the one putting the collection out. No ownership issues there. With the BB's, especially if you started getting into TV appearances territory, there would be tons of rightsholders to deal with. Capitol might own some stuff. BRI owns some stuff. Other labels from over the years (Warner, CBS, Elektra, etc.) may own some of the footage. Then, various production companies or networks might own the TV stuff.

There's also the issue of marketability. Are some of those other bands bigger sellers on home video than the BB's? Also, how many 60s era promo films, *true* promo films, do the BB's actually have? There are some, but it would be a very scattered collection when it comes to their "classic" 60s stuff, and really even sketchy after that. They have a fair amount of videos from the 80s and early 90s "MTV era", but those are sometimes embarrassing and even less marketable. I would love to have such a collection, but it would end up being a huge hodgepodge that either ignores vast areas of well-known songs, or would have to substitute TV appearances of late-era concert performances to fill in those gaps.

An interesting factoid I read not that many years ago is that "music videos", meaning music collections or concert videos on the home video market, are generally *not* huge sellers. Yes, there are some exceptions, and something like a Beatles release will always sell well. But a band that regularly moves a few million units per year even, will not sell nearly as many copies of a live concert video, for instance. When you couple that with the exponentially higher cost of clearing the rights for the songs (for audio-only releases the royalty rate is a flat rate), that helps to explain why home video releases aren't always abundant for bands, and when they do happen, are often edited down.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 06:08:04 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
debonbon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2015, 05:53:57 AM »

Good lord Beatles stereo mixes annoy me.

A healthy...low fat or non-fat...healthy......blizzard.
KDS
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2015, 05:55:24 AM »

BRI management need to answer that question.  Look at the mess the recent audio reissues have become, specifically the High Res digital releases, with 3 labels cranking out product at the same time - Acoustic Productions with X releases remastered by Kevin Gray, Capitol/UME picking up the slack and HD tracks getting in the middle with whatever comes their way.

The answer, in part, is that BRI hasn't had proper management in my opinion. That may not be the full explanation behind competing album reissues (not sure how much Capitol/UMe were behind that), but in general BRI hasn't seemed to be interested in management beyond acting as a holding company for the automatic royalties that come in from stuff like the touring license, etc.

As for why a BB video collection would be cost prohibitive and why other bands have done similar collections, there are many possible reasons. In some cases, those bands might own their own publishing, meaning they can negotiate cheaper sync licenses for the compositions (the BB's don't own the publishing on most of the 60s stuff). There is also the question of ownership of the video material. With some other bands, their label may own most or all of their videos, and may have been the one putting the collection out. No ownership issues there. With the BB's, especially if you started getting into TV appearances territory, there would be tons of rightsholders to deal with. Capitol might own some stuff. BRI owns some stuff. Other labels from over the years (Warner, CBS, Elektra, etc.) may own some of the footage. Then, various production companies or networks might own the TV stuff.

There's also the issue of marketability. Are some of those other bands bigger sellers on home video than the BB's? Also, how many 60s era promo films, *true* promo films, do the BB's actually have? There are some, but it would be a very scattered collection when it comes to their "classic" 60s stuff, and really even sketchy after that. They have a fair amount of videos from the 80s and early 90s "MTV era", but those are sometimes embarrassing and even less marketable. I would love to have such a collection, but it would end up being a huge hodgepodge that either ignores vast areas of well-known songs, or would have to substitute TV appearances of late-era concert performances to fill in those gaps.

Its too bad if it comes down to poor management.  I know The Who didn't do a ton of actual promos, but their DVD collections have managed to fill the gaps with TV appearances, live stuff, etc etc.  

*Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for a video anthology from my favorite group, Pink Floyd too*

The 50th Anniversary would've been prime time for archive DVD releases.  Since that's come and gone, it looks a little less likely each year.  So, we might have to resort to the........*whisper*.....bootleg market. .....er...I mean....imports.....yeah, imports.  That's the ticket.  
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2015, 06:01:44 AM »

Good lord Beatles stereo mixes annoy me.

I enjoy them, as alternate ways to listen to the stuff. It varies from song to song, but apart from the out-of-sync stereo remix of "Eleanor Rigby" from the "Yellow Submarine Songtrack", I think they've all been quite good.

The earlier era BB stereo remixes (PS Sessions, EH Soundtrack) were very good, but eventually got into WAY too much reverb/echo.

But generally speaking, I've enjoyed Beatles stereo remixes more than BB stereo remixes, and that's with the knowledge that in many cases BB stuff *needs* a stereo remix more desperately than some Beatles stuff. (To the degree that anything "needs" a remix, of course).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 06:04:21 AM »

Its too bad if it comes down to poor management.  I know The Who didn't do a ton of actual promos, but their DVD collections have managed to fill the gaps with TV appearances, live stuff, etc etc.  

*Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for a video anthology from my favorite group, Pink Floyd too*

The 50th Anniversary would've been prime time for archive DVD releases.  Since that's come and gone, it looks a little less likely each year.  So, we might have to resort to the........*whisper*.....bootleg market. .....er...I mean....imports.....yeah, imports.  That's the ticket.  

C50 could have been a huge opportunity to market and cross-market more stuff. Again, bad management (or no management), which leads to the whole thing falling apart, and then it isn't surprising in the least that nobody, and perhaps especially Mike, are going to be championing more C50 tour stuff in light of the way the C50 tour ended.

Where management would come in for that stuff or the ZILLION other archival projects they could be doing, is that a good manager could keep everyone happy and on the same page even if they don't want to actively all work together recording new music or touring together.

Hopefully that might still come to pass.

KDS
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 06:07:10 AM »

C50 could have been a huge opportunity to market and cross-market more stuff. Again, bad management (or no management), which leads to the whole thing falling apart, and then it isn't surprising in the least that nobody, and perhaps especially Mike, are going to be championing more C50 tour stuff in light of the way the C50 tour ended.

Where management would come in for that stuff or the ZILLION other archival projects they could be doing, is that a good manager could keep everyone happy and on the same page even if they don't want to actively all work together recording new music or touring together.

Hopefully that might still come to pass.

Perhaps.  I don't think any further C50 live releases will happen until the current version of The Beach Boys is retired. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2015, 06:10:36 AM »

Perhaps.  I don't think any further C50 live releases will happen until the current version of The Beach Boys is retired. 

I could see a C50 release happening sooner within the context of a larger "archive" program, something like an online hub where several archival live shows are released each month. I could see them mixing in some 2012 stuff with stuff from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.

But this would require better management, and a willingness among at least the majority of the shareholders to actively support it.

KDS
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 06:15:52 AM »

I could see a C50 release happening sooner within the context of a larger "archive" program, something like an online hub where several archival live shows are released each month. I could see them mixing in some 2012 stuff with stuff from the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s.

But this would require better management, and a willingness among at least the majority of the shareholders to actively support it.

Very true. 

For now, I think I'll just go ahead and put this Beatles release on my Amazon Wish List.  Although, I wish they did a separate DVD release so I didn't have to get the '1' album again.  Oh well. 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx