gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681109 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 08:37:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What did Mike + the other Boys think of Jack Rieley's lyrics?  (Read 26129 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2015, 11:18:00 AM »

Could a Beach Boys' manager be fired - or a new one hired - without a vote by the Beach Boys themselves? Was it a majority or unanimous vote? Does anybody know how the vote went?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2015, 11:47:13 AM »

My understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that it was indeed unanimous.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2015, 01:20:02 PM »

The thing about Mike is that he's always commercially minded. The counterculture was in full swing (and probably reaching its zenith) by 1971. It was, paradoxically, a rather "safe" route to go by this time, hence the acquiescence to Rieley's new direction and making Surf's Up the centerpiece of the new album, etc. This new image made business sense (for now).

1966 was very different, only two years post "I Get Around". Brian (or VDP to be more specific) was ahead of the curve and in Mike's mind, taking enormous risks with the "brand" (although that wasn't the terminology back then). A completely different situation.
The "counterculture" was the mainstream in music by 1971. Also, by then Mike wasn't as reliant on Brian -- he could now generate songs on his own, or write with Al. (I think that a large part of Mike's objection to VDP 's lyrics was the feeling that Mike should be co-writing these songs, and not some fancy-pants outsider).

And people should give a listen to MIU, the next major occasion when Mike is writing extensively with Brian. Regardless of their quality or lack thereof, Mike's lyrics for that lp are quite ambitious, and in fact not unlike Rieley's.

Huh Huh I'm not getting how myKe's lyrics on MIU can possibly be akin to Jack's. Ambitious should be replaced by banal if anything. As far as calling VDP a "fancy pants outsider", I think we all know who wore them in the family. And honestly, luHv was paranoid of Asher, VDP, Rieley, and Thomas primarily because they all far exceeded his stuff.
Belles of Paris  and the extended metaphor of Match Point of Your Love were lyrically ambitious.

Overly ambitious as it turned out,  but in the same pretentious, overly explicit manner of such a Rieley lyric as A Day in the Life of a Tree.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2015, 02:26:02 PM »

I know that Mike absolutely LOVES "Feel Flows" and "The Trader" - it was at his insistence that the former made it onto MIC. And Bruce, despite his problems with Jack, told Brad Elliott in 1981 "...I always thought stuff he did was really great, I never took issue with that."
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2015, 04:24:05 PM »

Belles of Paris  and the extended metaphor of Match Point of Your Love were lyrically ambitious.

Overly ambitious as it turned out,  but in the same pretentious, overly explicit manner of such a Rieley lyric as A Day in the Life of a Tree.

I like Mike's lyrics in both of your examples but in my mind they are about as far removed as Rieley's style as can be.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2015, 05:04:26 PM »

Could a Beach Boys' manager be fired - or a new one hired - without a vote by the Beach Boys themselves? Was it a majority or unanimous vote? Does anybody know how the vote went?

My understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that it was indeed unanimous.

Several tomes say stuff like "the group" was dissatisfied or infuriated with Rieley's decision to run the shop from Amsterdam, but there's no indication of any support for Jack.

Carl got executioner duty, which he performed in Holland in the spring of '73.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2015, 05:22:28 PM »

Are any of the other Beach Boys on Feel Flows or is it just Carl?

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2015, 05:33:08 PM »

Carl: lead & backing vocals, piano, organ, moog, bass, bells, guitar
  Brian: backing vocals
  Charles Lloyd: flute, sax
  Woodrow Theus: percussion

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2015, 05:41:16 PM »

Several tomes say stuff like "the group" was dissatisfied or infuriated with Rieley's decision to run the shop from Amsterdam, but there's no indication of any support for Jack.

Would be interesting to know just who "the group" represented at the time. I can only imagine. While the Holland project substantially drained the coffers, under his direction the boys had their best shot at regaining their relevancy. And they did, indeed recapture the magic. But with all the factions and infighting going on they let Jack slip through their fingers. They lost not only their manager, but one of their most creative, interesting and refreshing lyricists. My favorite period in the band's history-unfortunately, it somehow wasn't meant to survive or thrive for a more extended period of time.  

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2015, 05:55:14 PM »

Don't forget Marilyn on backing vox

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2015, 06:06:29 PM »

I'm not sure exactly when Jack was fired but he was still managing them in the spring of 1973.  He accompanied them on their March-May 1973 tour in the States (he was interviewed at a few college shows and I have them).
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2015, 06:30:04 PM »

I'm not sure exactly when Jack was fired but he was still managing them in the spring of 1973.  He accompanied them on their March-May 1973 tour in the States (he was interviewed at a few college shows and I have them).

That would be incredible to hear.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2015, 06:36:34 PM »

Thanks for the info. Does anyone else sing backing vocals on Feel Flows?
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2015, 07:04:30 PM »

Thanks for the info. Does anyone else sing backing vocals on Feel Flows?

Not sure. Thanks to Alan Smith for noting Marilyn.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2015, 09:03:48 PM »

I know that Mike absolutely LOVES "Feel Flows" and "The Trader" - it was at his insistence that the former made it onto MIC. And Bruce, despite his problems with Jack, told Brad Elliott in 1981 "...I always thought stuff he did was really great, I never took issue with that."

"For both Dennis and Carl having Brian as their elder brother was like being Ira Gershwin to George Gershwin. But Carl wrote some great things, like “Feel Flows” and “The Trader and “Long Promised Road”."  Mike Love 2008

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2015, 12:44:09 AM »

Would be interesting to know just who "the group" represented at the time. I can only imagine. While the Holland project substantially drained the coffers, under his direction the boys had their best shot at regaining their relevancy. And they did, indeed recapture the magic. But with all the factions and infighting going on they let Jack slip through their fingers. They lost not only their manager, but one of their most creative, interesting and refreshing lyricists. My favorite period in the band's history-unfortunately, it somehow wasn't meant to survive or thrive for a more extended period of time.  

Jack was also a manipulative liar (not merely my opinion but documented fact - ask Renee Pappas) who played off each faction/clique against the other. People conveniently forget he was also on watch when CATP was released, so not exactly batting 1.000.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2015, 01:13:04 AM »

Jack was also a manipulative liar (not merely my opinion but documented fact - ask Renee Pappas) who played off each faction/clique against the other. People conveniently forget he was also on watch when CATP was released, so not exactly batting 1.000.
Great comment re the manipulation, AGD, and reminder about CATP - his role around that time seems noticeably absent in the stuff I have at hand (that's a lazy general comment on my behalf).

Just to milk-a-bit-more that Goldmine interview (thanks, DonnyL) I've been hang-ing off of late, Al is on record saying:

Jack Rieley: A real fraud from the Netherlands.

Eugene Landy: Same thing. Landy might have had an edge in the fraud department.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2015, 02:23:12 AM »

Great comment re the manipulation, AGD, and reminder about CATP - his role around that time seems noticeably absent in the stuff I have at hand (that's a lazy general comment on my behalf).

Just to milk-a-bit-more that Goldmine interview (thanks, DonnyL) I've been hang-ing off of late, Al is on record saying:

Do you have a link for the Goldmine interview Alan? Would very much like to read the entire thing.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2015, 03:21:52 AM »

It came out Jack had lied about his previous accomplishments in getting the job of manager.  And Brian didn't always get along with Jack - there's the incident in the Rolling Stone article where Jack is going on to Brian about writing a song about the Pentagon Papers scandal and Brian completely ignores him.

Also didn't Gaines or someone report Jack's sexuality became an issue for some of the Beach Boys?
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2015, 03:38:05 AM »

Do you have a link for the Goldmine interview Alan? Would very much like to read the entire thing.

Hey MB - here is "the" link - http://troun.tripod.com/articles.html - again, courtesy of DonnyL, I am just a humble reader.

On this link are many insightful articles with great comment from Mike, Al and some good but brief stuff from Durrie Parks, who Donny worked with at some stage - my pleasure - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2015, 04:02:56 AM »

Thanks to both yourself and DonnyL.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2015, 08:01:20 AM »

I'd often wondered who Theus was and just this minute got round to looking him up. Seems he died in 2011:

http://www.moderndrummer.com/site/2011/08/woody-sonship-theus/#_

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 03:31:53 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2015, 08:15:08 AM »

It came out Jack had lied about his previous accomplishments in getting the job of manager. 

And some of the Beach Boys lied about being surfers.  What's a few lies among friends?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2015, 08:28:02 AM »

Have to agree with you there Andy. The Beach Boys have been fudging the facts from the very beginning. In further defense of Rieley, the BB's would be a very difficult group to manage,especially at this time. And the Boys have been known to toss people by the wayside once they got what they wanted from them. That's show biz.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2015, 08:57:37 AM »

I disagree here. Bad behavior isn't made better by being common.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx