gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:14:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Q&A: Mike Love's Half-Century With The Beach Boys  (Read 15199 times)
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2015, 08:13:25 PM »

http://www.courant.com/hartford-magazine/features/hc-mike-love-beach-boys-interview-20150725-story.html

It's summertime and nothing gets you in the mood faster than a dose of the old-school California rock from The Beach Boys. The group, which originally included brothers Brian, Dennis and Carl Wilson, along with their cousin Mike Love and friend Al Jardine, gained quick popularity in the 1960s for its vocal harmonies and lyrics focusing on cars, romance and the beach. Some of their best-known songs, along with the vibes of summer, will be all featured Aug. 12 when The Beach Boys bring their best to a summer night at Simsbury Meadows. Love now heads the band that will perform with The Hartford Symphony Orchestra as part of its Summer Concerts Series. Love looks back on decades of top-of-the-chart hits as he Spilled the Beans with Java.

Q: You have been touring for more than 50 years now, singing songs like "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "I Get Around," classics that have sustained for decades. Do you ever get up in the morning, look in the mirror and say to yourself, 'I cannot sing these songs one more time'!?

A: I never do that! We continue to perform because people still enjoy those songs we created so many decades ago. They are songs with fond memories for people of all demographics and generations, from children to senior citizens and everyone in between. It is a blessing. Singing was a family tradition for us before we formed the Beach Boys. I can never think of not doing music. It would be like throwing out something from my life. Our music has brought wonderful experiences to people and gotten others through some tough times. Performing our songs is a wonderful experience for me.

Q: What does "old" music have that makes people want it forever?

A: I think as far as the music from the '60s, the sustained success in terms of the pure songs was in the development. Not just the Beach Boys, but Motown and the Beatles. [It is] the most performed music on oldies or classic hits radio station. I think these days the musical landscape is so fragmented. You have rap over here, hip-hop over there, Adele or someone like that over there. I think the value in the classic songs that sustain are in the lyrics and the melodies, great songs done by great singers.

Q: Pretty much anyone who has heard of the Beach Boys knows the group has had its ups and downs and is aware of the split between you and Brian Wilson years ago. You reunited with Wilson for the 50th anniversary tour and then went your separate ways again. And now there is the new movie about him, "Love and Mercy." What caused the estrangement? And do you think the fence can ever be permanently mended?

A: Brian did himself a lot of damage and that was a horrible thing for me to witness as the years went by. When we started out he was doing great music but then got into drugs and that didn't do him any favors. All I can say is that love transcends all the bull because we are family and grew up together. We went to high school football games together, loved the Everly Brothers together, and sang doo-wop before the band was formed. We wrote all the great songs together and were successful together. As far as performing with Brian again, I have nothing but love for that cousin of mine and would love to get into the studio with him again.

Q: You have your own book coming out called "Good Vibrations: My Life As A Beach Boy." Can you tell me something about that?

A: It's written mainly from my point of view, my life, the Beach Boys. Like you said, I am 74 and there have been a lot of things that have gone on in my life and if I included everything it would read like "War and Peace." The book's not finished yet, but it is not an attempt to counteract some of the stories there have been out there over the years but rather to tell it from the point of view of someone who was really there.

Q: What can Connecticut expect when you set up in Simsbury?

A: It will be fantastic, not only because of our music but because we are performing with the Hartford Symphony Orchestra.

Q: What are your favorite Beach Boy songs?

A: "California Girls," because it is so symphonic, "God Only Knows," because it is just a gorgeous song and "The Warmth of the Sun." We wrote that song in the early morning hours on the day John F. Kennedy was assassinated. I think when we recorded it, it became even more poignant. I'd have to add "Good Vibrations" and "Kokomo" as favorites also.

Q: What else are you working on now?

A: We have been performing overseas and did sold-out shows in England at the Royal Albert Hall in London. We've also been invited to Germany to perform in December. That has all been fabulous. We are doing 165 shows a year. I'm working on a new album, music that was done 30 years ago but never recorded.

Q: There are tales that you have a great hot tub in your backyard that overlooks Lake Tahoe. What do you listen to when you are out there?

A: Actually I was in there this morning but I didn't have any music on other than the music in my head.

Q: What is something most people don't know about you?

A: I graduated among the lowest in my high school class of 150 students, along with my friends on the track team. My saving grace was that I scored well on something back then called the Iowa Tests. I was very well-read.

Copyright © 2015, Hartford Courant

Just passing it along..

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 09:11:51 PM »

I detect the initial rumblings of a reunion in the studio.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 09:27:30 PM »

http://www.courant.com/hartford-magazine/features/hc-mike-love-beach-boys-interview-20150725-story.html

It's summertime and nothing gets you in the mood faster than a dose of the old-school California rock from The Beach Boys. The group, which originally included brothers Brian, Dennis and Carl Wilson, along with their cousin Mike Love and friend Al Jardine, gained quick popularity in the 1960s for its vocal harmonies and lyrics focusing on cars, romance and the beach. Some of their best-known songs, along with the vibes of summer, will be all featured Aug. 12 when The Beach Boys bring their best to a summer night at Simsbury Meadows. Love now heads the band that will perform with The Hartford Symphony Orchestra as part of its Summer Concerts Series. Love looks back on decades of top-of-the-chart hits as he Spilled the Beans with Java.

Q: You have been touring for more than 50 years now, singing songs like "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "I Get Around," classics that have sustained for decades. Do you ever get up in the morning, look in the mirror and say to yourself, 'I cannot sing these songs one more time'!?

A: I never do that! We continue to perform because people still enjoy those songs we created so many decades ago. They are songs with fond memories for people of all demographics and generations, from children to senior citizens and everyone in between. It is a blessing. Singing was a family tradition for us before we formed the Beach Boys. I can never think of not doing music. It would be like throwing out something from my life. Our music has brought wonderful experiences to people and gotten others through some tough times. Performing our songs is a wonderful experience for me.

Q: What does "old" music have that makes people want it forever?

A: I think as far as the music from the '60s, the sustained success in terms of the pure songs was in the development. Not just the Beach Boys, but Motown and the Beatles. [It is] the most performed music on oldies or classic hits radio station. I think these days the musical landscape is so fragmented. You have rap over here, hip-hop over there, Adele or someone like that over there. I think the value in the classic songs that sustain are in the lyrics and the melodies, great songs done by great singers.

Q: Pretty much anyone who has heard of the Beach Boys knows the group has had its ups and downs and is aware of the split between you and Brian Wilson years ago. You reunited with Wilson for the 50th anniversary tour and then went your separate ways again. And now there is the new movie about him, "Love and Mercy." What caused the estrangement? And do you think the fence can ever be permanently mended?

A: Brian did himself a lot of damage and that was a horrible thing for me to witness as the years went by. When we started out he was doing great music but then got into drugs and that didn't do him any favors. All I can say is that love transcends all the bull because we are family and grew up together. We went to high school football games together, loved the Everly Brothers together, and sang doo-wop before the band was formed. We wrote all the great songs together and were successful together. As far as performing with Brian again, I have nothing but love for that cousin of mine and would love to get into the studio with him again.

Q: You have your own book coming out called "Good Vibrations: My Life As A Beach Boy." Can you tell me something about that?

A: It's written mainly from my point of view, my life, the Beach Boys. Like you said, I am 74 and there have been a lot of things that have gone on in my life and if I included everything it would read like "War and Peace." The book's not finished yet, but it is not an attempt to counteract some of the stories there have been out there over the years but rather to tell it from the point of view of someone who was really there.

Q: What can Connecticut expect when you set up in Simsbury?

A: It will be fantastic, not only because of our music but because we are performing with the Hartford Symphony Orchestra.

Q: What are your favorite Beach Boy songs?

A: "California Girls," because it is so symphonic, "God Only Knows," because it is just a gorgeous song and "The Warmth of the Sun." We wrote that song in the early morning hours on the day John F. Kennedy was assassinated. I think when we recorded it, it became even more poignant. I'd have to add "Good Vibrations" and "Kokomo" as favorites also.

Q: What else are you working on now?

A: We have been performing overseas and did sold-out shows in England at the Royal Albert Hall in London. We've also been invited to Germany to perform in December. That has all been fabulous. We are doing 165 shows a year. I'm working on a new album, music that was done 30 years ago but never recorded.

Q: There are tales that you have a great hot tub in your backyard that overlooks Lake Tahoe. What do you listen to when you are out there?

A: Actually I was in there this morning but I didn't have any music on other than the music in my head.

Q: What is something most people don't know about you?

A: I graduated among the lowest in my high school class of 150 students, along with my friends on the track team. My saving grace was that I scored well on something back then called the Iowa Tests. I was very well-read.

Copyright © 2015, Hartford Courant

Just passing it along..

"Hey Mike...what are your thoughts on Smiley Smile? Can you tell us about how it was recorded, and what you thought about it as you were recording it--with this new music being so different from what other artists were doing?"

Cant someone ask this? Would it be so hard? Instead of all the usual stuff we've heard a million times?

Anyway, Mike sounds pretty positive and good natured in this interview at least.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 10:29:51 PM »

No mention of 'the room'! (yet) Grin
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 12:49:15 AM »

He just had to mention Kokomo as one of his favourite songs!!!  LOL
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 12:50:32 AM »

"Hey Mike...what are your thoughts on Smiley Smile? Can you tell us about how it was recorded, and what you thought about it as you were recording it--with this new music being so different from what other artists were doing?"

Cant someone ask this? Would it be so hard? Instead of all the usual stuff we've heard a million times?

We need to get him on here and do just that.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 12:53:30 AM »

Had to mention "Good Vibrations" as one too - the sheer nerve of the man ! How dare he like two of the bands #1 hits !!

Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 03:30:10 AM »

Had to mention "Good Vibrations" as one too - the sheer nerve of the man ! How dare he like two of the bands #1 hits !!

You seem to very touchy when someone mentions Mike Love  LOL Kokomo is terrible I don't know what people where thinking buying that record!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 03:36:29 AM »

I'd imagine most folk bought the single because of the movie. Have to say, not my fave BB choon, but a million Americans evidently thought differently.  Smiley

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 03:43:07 AM »

You seem to very touchy when someone mentions Mike Love  LOL Kokomo is terrible I don't know what people where thinking buying that record!

The Carl sung  lines are wowzville!  Shame you don't like it, but then, who cares?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 03:45:27 AM »

I just can't take to the song whatsoever Huh
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 03:46:32 AM »

No mention of 'the room'! (yet) Grin

"The studio" would be a room.   Wink

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 06:15:50 AM »

A: Brian did himself a lot of damage and that was a horrible thing for me to witness as the years went by. When we started out he was doing great music but then got into drugs and that didn't do him any favors.

*facepalm*  Sad

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 06:19:36 AM »

Sadly, considering the last few interviews we’ve seen, this one is comparatively innocuous. This is more a case of the standard quickie interview. I do think it’s disappointing though not surprising that he completely evades a pretty specific question about the demise of C50 by, wait for it, mentioning Brian doing “himself a lot of damage” years ago. As I’ve mentioned many times in the past, I totally acknowledge that these guys that get asked the same questions over and over end up having the same canned responses. (See most McCartney interviews for instance). But this was not a typical 100% fluff question; it was about the demise of C50. Not only did Mike evade the question, he then went into a canned response, and one that dredges up the same negative stuff AGAIN. I get it, there are some fans that don’t have that filter; they think bringing up something bad that someone did DECADES ago is not beating a dead horse at all. To me, it’s like a parent reminding their kids of something they did in high school when their kids are in their 40’s.

He then continues to *not* address the question at all and goes into his spiel about he and Brian were best buds back in 1962.

I give the interviewer credit for at least asking one or two pertinent questions. Unfortunately, he didn’t really follow up on the non-answers (I get it, this was probably a 10-minute phone interview), and a lot of it was disappointingly junior high school level (“What are your favorite Beach Boys songs?” Really, do you really think that is something he hasn’t been asked literally a thousand times? And you’re asking this of a guy who has a track record for discussing the same five Beach Boys songs in every interview?)

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 06:42:02 AM »

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 08:34:58 AM by JCM » Logged

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
KDS
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 06:51:28 AM »

He just had to mention Kokomo as one of his favourite songs!!!  LOL

You seem to very touchy when someone mentions Mike Love  LOL Kokomo is terrible I don't know what people where thinking buying that record!

Maybe its because I'm a child of the 1980s.  Or my foundness for Jimmy Buffett style island/rock/pop, but I like Kokomo and never really understood the venom directed at that song.  

It may not be in the top 20 BB songs ever, but I think there are far worse BB songs in the catalog.  And some of those come from the creative years of 1962-1973.  

Is it because the song had no involvement from Brian Wilson that the song is hated so much?  It is the Buffett meets adult contemporary style?  It is that some people can't appreciate a relaxing song while day drinking on a hot day?  Was it that pink shirt that John Stamos wears in the video?  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 06:54:17 AM by KDS » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 06:57:39 AM »

You seem to very touchy when someone mentions Mike Love  LOL Kokomo is terrible I don't know what people where thinking buying that record!

Maybe its because I'm a child of the 1980s.  Or my foundless for Jimmy Buffett style island/rock/pop, but I like Kokomo and never really understood the venom directed at that song.  

It may not be in the top 20 BB songs ever, but I think there are far worse BB songs in the catalog.  And some of those come from the creative years of 1962-1973.  

Is it because the song had no involvement from Brian Wilson that the song is hated so much?  It is the Buffett meets adult contemporary style?  It is that some people can't appreciate a relaxing song while day drinking on a hot day?  Was it that pink shirt that John Stamos wears in the video?  

Probably yes to all (on the questions). But in my experience--and we might be close to the same age, as I also am something of an 80s child. (Not to diminish my 3 1/2 years in the '70s: I learned a lot in those years. How to speak. How to use the toilet. The big topics.)

But it seems to me that the hatred for Kokomo has diminished in the time I've been a serious BBs fan, from what seemed to me to be total hatred in the mid 90s to more mixed opinions now. I think a lot of it just comes down to how one self-identifies as a Beach Boys fan. If you're of the ilk that insists upon the tortured genius of Brian fighting the crass commercialism of Mike, then Kokomo can't be good to you (no matter how much you might like it). If you need the outsider thing, it's just not going to work. For those who are just looking to be entertained (god forbid!), it's just not an issue.

And of course many of us evolve, ourselves. I certainly moved in my opinions and tastes from the elitist asshole to a more populist asshole.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2015, 07:02:04 AM »

Perhaps the Administrators can orchestrate a Smiley Smile Board "Mike Love Q&A" similar to what was done with Brian earlier this year.  This will give us the opportunity to ask him more interesting questions rather that the same old retreads in these interviews.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2015, 07:09:01 AM »

Maybe its because I'm a child of the 1980s.  Or my foundness for Jimmy Buffett style island/rock/pop, but I like Kokomo and never really understood the venom directed at that song.  

Certainly, if you grew up in the 80’s and were introduced to the BB’s via the ’85 album or “Rock and Roll to the Rescue” or “Full House” episodes or “Kokomo”, then it’s far less likely you’ll find anything about “Kokomo” grating or troubling.

I think musically it’s catchy. I said that back then. I think it suffered from being overexposed/overplayed back then a bit.

In the context of the band’s career, I think some find it moderately problematic because it was simply another sign of the cheese-ifying of the band in the 80’s. It’s part of that ball of a wax along with doing gigs with Mr. T, cheerleaders on stage, Stamos, and so on. I don’t think hardcore fans specifically have an issue with Brian not being on it (there are other excellent BB songs Brian had little or nothing to do with). Some fans sense that Mike takes some level of pride from having scored a hit *without* Brian.

I do think some fans have trouble with Mike touting the song so much in the same breathe as things like “Good Vibrations.” “Kokomo” isn’t comparable  It doesn’t have to be; it can just be a catchy 80’s song that gave the band a shot in the arm. But some feel Mike pumps the song up more than that.

Here’s one way to put it: I’d be just as off-put if the same fate  (e.g. getting a hit but turning an era of the band’s image into late 80’s schlock and solidifying the “old dues in Hawaiian shirts singing in front of palm trees” image) had come to “Rock and Roll to the Rescue” or “Crack at Your Love” or “Heavenly Bodies” or “Just Say No”, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2015, 07:11:42 AM »

Maybe its because I'm a child of the 1980s.  Or my foundless for Jimmy Buffett style island/rock/pop, but I like Kokomo and never really understood the venom directed at that song.  

Probably yes to all (on the questions). But in my experience--and we might be close to the same age, as I also am something of an 80s child. (Not to diminish my 3 1/2 years in the '70s: I learned a lot in those years. How to speak. How to use the toilet. The big topics.)

But it seems to me that the hatred for Kokomo has diminished in the time I've been a serious BBs fan, from what seemed to me to be total hatred in the mid 90s to more mixed opinions now. I think a lot of it just comes down to how one self-identifies as a Beach Boys fan. If you're of the ilk that insists upon the tortured genius of Brian fighting the crass commercialism of Mike, then Kokomo can't be good to you (no matter how much you might like it). If you need the outsider thing, it's just not going to work. For those who are just looking to be entertained (god forbid!), it's just not an issue.

And of course many of us evolve, ourselves. I certainly moved in my opinions and tastes from the elitist asshole to a more populist asshole.

Makes sense.  Personally, I don't care whose name is on the writing credits.  (Let's not pretend that Brian didn't write some duds in his 50+ years in the business).  

With a few exceptions, I pretty much celebrate the entire BB catalog from 62-73 (Even my least favorite Smiley Smile has its moments).  

From then on, I still think there's a lot of great songs, just not any great albums (with the possible exception of TWGMTR).  

Here's an interesting idea for a thread: "I'd rather listen to Kokomo than....................."
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 07:14:14 AM »

Certainly, if you grew up in the 80’s and were introduced to the BB’s via the ’85 album or “Rock and Roll to the Rescue” or “Full House” episodes or “Kokomo”, then it’s far less likely you’ll find anything about “Kokomo” grating or troubling.

I think musically it’s catchy. I said that back then. I think it suffered from being overexposed/overplayed back then a bit.

In the context of the band’s career, I think some find it moderately problematic because it was simply another sign of the cheese-ifying of the band in the 80’s. It’s part of that ball of a wax along with doing gigs with Mr. T, cheerleaders on stage, Stamos, and so on. I don’t think hardcore fans specifically have an issue with Brian not being on it (there are other excellent BB songs Brian had little or nothing to do with). Some fans sense that Mike takes some level of pride from having scored a hit *without* Brian.

I do think some fans have trouble with Mike touting the song so much in the same breathe as things like “Good Vibrations.” “Kokomo” isn’t comparable  It doesn’t have to be; it can just be a catchy 80’s song that gave the band a shot in the arm. But some feel Mike pumps the song up more than that.

Here’s one way to put it: I’d be just as off-put if the same fate  (e.g. getting a hit but turning an era of the band’s image into late 80’s schlock and solidifying the “old dues in Hawaiian shirts singing in front of palm trees” image) had come to “Rock and Roll to the Rescue” or “Crack at Your Love” or “Heavenly Bodies” or “Just Say No”, etc.
Hey Jude - taken in context it was the "big hair and cheese" era.  It was nothing short of a miracle that the BB's had a huge hit.  And for the younger generations of fans, it might have been their intro to the "chameleon" band of all time.  Wink
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 07:14:49 AM »

Quite possibly!
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 09:01:20 AM »

Sadly, considering the last few interviews we’ve seen, this one is comparatively innocuous. This is more a case of the standard quickie interview. I do think it’s disappointing though not surprising that he completely evades a pretty specific question about the demise of C50 by, wait for it, mentioning Brian doing “himself a lot of damage” years ago. As I’ve mentioned many times in the past, I totally acknowledge that these guys that get asked the same questions over and over end up having the same canned responses. (See most McCartney interviews for instance). But this was not a typical 100% fluff question; it was about the demise of C50. Not only did Mike evade the question, he then went into a canned response, and one that dredges up the same negative stuff AGAIN. I get it, there are some fans that don’t have that filter; they think bringing up something bad that someone did DECADES ago is not beating a dead horse at all. To me, it’s like a parent reminding their kids of something they did in high school when their kids are in their 40’s.

He then continues to *not* address the question at all and goes into his spiel about he and Brian were best buds back in 1962.

I give the interviewer credit for at least asking one or two pertinent questions. Unfortunately, he didn’t really follow up on the non-answers (I get it, this was probably a 10-minute phone interview), and a lot of it was disappointingly junior high school level (“What are your favorite Beach Boys songs?” Really, do you really think that is something he hasn’t been asked literally a thousand times? And you’re asking this of a guy who has a track record for discussing the same five Beach Boys songs in every interview?)

I don't think Mike needed to mention the damage drugs caused Brian, but I also think he believes he was answering the question honestly.

Q: What caused the estrangement?

A: Brian did himself a lot of damage and that was a horrible thing for me to witness as the years went by. When we started out he was doing great music but then got into drugs and that didn't do him any favors.

Mike has been estranged from Brian for a lot longer than three years, and he probably views Brian experimenting with drugs 50 years ago as the beginning of the end. Mike obviously still longs for the relationship they had in the early 60s, and it hasn't been the same since.

Should Mike get over it? "Probably," but at the same time, I can always understand Mike's frustration with Brian.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »

*yawn* on any Mike Q&A. Its all about how BW did drugs and Mike is some TM superman....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2015, 10:47:03 AM »

Didn't Brian appear on the Spanish version of the record?

I don't like it much either, though Carl's vocal redeems it a bit. It's just that list of names again (seem to rember that from other successful BB songs...). Some Army guys did a jokey version called Kosovo (if there is anything funny about Kosovo).
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx