gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:27:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce on stage... SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN!  (Read 23742 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2015, 09:39:13 PM »

[/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLFn21CmgFU

Bad vocal aside, those that doubt his piano playing need to take a look at this.
[/quote]

To be honest, this is one of the most magical clips I've ever seen. So intimate. Brian seems  somewhat relaxed, and is leading the band, singing lead and playing piano.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2015, 09:41:42 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNLB_a0acHI

The guy filming this was so close, that you can clearly hear Al's guitar, but at 0:22 see him turn his volume down, making him inaudible.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2015, 09:47:13 PM »

To be honest, this is one of the most magical clips I've ever seen. So intimate. Brian seems  somewhat relaxed, and is leading the band, singing lead and playing piano.

And that's one of the elements of this 2015 tour that made it a special experience. I took this photo from my perspective at this performance weeks ago. It was early on in the schedule, the full band wasn't even there, and I wasn't expecting "Love & Mercy" as the closer. So it starts up, just Brian on piano and Brian doing the vocal, and it was indeed magical to be standing there watching and hearing it up close. Same with God Only Knows earlier in the set. So my thoughts also are along the lines of on one hand seeing *this* in person, and on the other concerning ourselves earlier in this discussion with what folks on the Hoffman board are saying? What? Wow.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:48:25 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2015, 10:11:27 PM »

Are you sure about that? How many times have people complained that Brian sits like a lump behind an inaudible keyboard. Go take a look on Hoffman's board and see how many believe just that.

Congratulations. You've just written one of the single dumbest posts I've read in the history of this board.

Yes. I am sure about that, as someone who has attended at least 10 BW solo shows over the last 15 years. Since 2009, he has consistently played keyboards throughout his shows. Before that, he would play for at least a couple of highlighted numbers. In terms of how audible his playing is, he's part of the general mix. Sometimes, he stands out, sometimes he blends in. As most keyboard players would.

And I have no idea what people on Hoffman's board have to do with anything. This has nothing to do with belief. It has to do with what Brian is actually doing, and what people are actually seeing. It's not opinion. It's not something that's fucking voted on.

At the Seattle show brian made sure his piano was just as loud as Scott and darians, and during the show asked to be turned up. Not only does brian play piano, he wants to be heard.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2015, 10:18:12 PM »

The Bruce thing;

Many, many, many years ago the Beach Boys concert experience became more of a party than an exibition of musical talent.  That's not a slam, that's a compliment coming from me.

I think Bruce just finds joy in being a rock star... not necessarily in being a musician or a song writer.  That's a lot of hard work... the guy playing keys for them has to really be up to snuff to keep everything sounding great, he has a lot of responsibilities... and really Bruce probably doesn't want all that responsibility.

It's honestly a hell of a gig.  You travel the world, even get to be on t.v. from time to time; everywhere you go there's nothing but happiness in all of these crowds, thousands of happy faces the whole time you're on stage... it must be a rush.  You've got a live microphone and can say or do whatever you want, you meet pretty women of all ages before and after the shows, you meet fans who explain to you that they've listened to every interview you've ever done, bought everything you've ever sold...

I think he just enjoys the show.  Probably much more fun than the instruments, or the songwriting....

He could probably do it all, but would enjoy it less with the added work, and it wouldn't necessarily make the show any better.  

Doesn't mean he's not still a talented musican and songwriter, he just doesn't see the need to 'prove' anything to himself regarding it.  He probably gets along well with Mike and enjoys his company, a friend he's had for 50 years.  

I mentioned this in another thread, I have a theory that Bruce is one of those guys who gets along with everybody, you can tell because of the way he says caustic political stuff that offends some people.  In HIS mind, he doesn't get offended easily, so he says stuff like that not realizing other people will get upset about it.  That probably explains why he can get along with Mike so well, anything weird or jerkish Mike does Bruce probably has the personality where it doesn't offend him.  

To be honest though, I love all these guys, I can't say any of the Beach Boys don't have angelic voices or are really cool guys, including Mike and Bruce specifically.  Great guys.  
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2015, 10:21:43 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLFn21CmgFU

Bad vocal aside, those that doubt his piano playing need to take a look at this.

To be honest, this is one of the most magical clips I've ever seen. So intimate. Brian seems  somewhat relaxed, and is leading the band, singing lead and playing piano.

Thank the Lord i'm able to see the beauty in that clip, what a special thing, and something most people would miss.  
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:23:54 PM by Ron » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2015, 10:58:36 PM »

The Bruce thing;

Many, many, many years ago the Beach Boys concert experience became more of a party than an exibition of musical talent.  That's not a slam, that's a compliment coming from me.

I think Bruce just finds joy in being a rock star... not necessarily in being a musician or a song writer.  That's a lot of hard work... the guy playing keys for them has to really be up to snuff to keep everything sounding great, he has a lot of responsibilities... and really Bruce probably doesn't want all that responsibility.

It's honestly a hell of a gig.  You travel the world, even get to be on t.v. from time to time; everywhere you go there's nothing but happiness in all of these crowds, thousands of happy faces the whole time you're on stage... it must be a rush.  You've got a live microphone and can say or do whatever you want, you meet pretty women of all ages before and after the shows, you meet fans who explain to you that they've listened to every interview you've ever done, bought everything you've ever sold...

I think he just enjoys the show.  Probably much more fun than the instruments, or the songwriting....

He could probably do it all, but would enjoy it less with the added work, and it wouldn't necessarily make the show any better.  

Doesn't mean he's not still a talented musican and songwriter, he just doesn't see the need to 'prove' anything to himself regarding it.  He probably gets along well with Mike and enjoys his company, a friend he's had for 50 years.  

I mentioned this in another thread, I have a theory that Bruce is one of those guys who gets along with everybody, you can tell because of the way he says caustic political stuff that offends some people.  In HIS mind, he doesn't get offended easily, so he says stuff like that not realizing other people will get upset about it.  That probably explains why he can get along with Mike so well, anything weird or jerkish Mike does Bruce probably has the personality where it doesn't offend him.  

To be honest though, I love all these guys, I can't say any of the Beach Boys don't have angelic voices or are really cool guys, including Mike and Bruce specifically.  Great guys.  

You made a lot of good points, and I agree with you. When I posted this, I saw Bruce's onstage antics as goofy and annoying as hell, but now reading your description, I get it.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2015, 06:13:14 AM »

I would wager that Bruce has NOT done it for 30 years, unless he became a hand clapper around 1988. I guess when I go see a band my preference is to see a solid unit, not cheese. How would everybody respond if after a while Darian became the new Bruce? Then they could hire someone behind the scenes with the right chops to play the music. The point is, does Bruce add to the show or make it fluff?

That's what I'm trying to get across. If Bruce wants to stand in front of a mic like Love, that's fine by me. I just don't get why he stands behind a pretty much inaudible keyboard and claps, adjusts his mic stand, waves, and shrugs.
It may be the same reason that Brian sits behind a piano; comfort.

Except that Brian plays his piano for the length of his shows and is audible.
Are you sure about that? How many times have people complained that Brian sits like a lump behind an inaudible keyboard. Go take a look on Hoffman's board and see how many believe just that. Maybe Bruce needs to fire his tour engineer. So, who you think is telling him to make Bruce's piano inaudible?

I'm sure about Brian's piano. I stood feet away from the man and heard him play piano with the band, it was audible and it was a treat to hear him play and sing. Whatever people believe on Hoffman's board about this issue means jack squat. It's a non-issue as of this recent tour in 2015. Not every song uses every instrument on stage, that's basic common sense. And not every song has a full-blown piano part either, so on some songs he's not playing full voicings throughout the whole song on every section any more than another instrument would sit out when they don't have a part. But when he played, it's audible.
This year yes, but not in the past. For how many years is this Brian playing/not playing been going on? Come on, now! People at Hoffman have just as much right to an opinion or talking myth, as we do here. Sure, you and I know what is going on with Brian on stage, but many others don't really know or don't want to hear the truth. As for Bruce, you didn't answer the one important question: Who is making Bruce's piano playing inaudible at concert venues? They should fire his ass for such insubordination; unless Bruce himself has requested this to be done.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2015, 06:31:43 AM »

Another striking talent of Bruce: I find amazing how quickly after he entered the band Brian was relying on his ears to direct recording sessions from the booth while the rest of the guys were on the studio floor. Brian sure trusted Bruce's ear for recording.

And I agree with Ron's comment. All of it.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
KDS
« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2015, 06:52:32 AM »

I think Bruce has as much fun onstage as Nelson Bragg from Brian's band. 

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2015, 07:50:56 AM »

I think Bruce has as much fun onstage as Nelson Bragg from Brian's band. 
And I would agree! I just love watching Nelson!  Love
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2015, 09:16:05 AM »

Do you think Bruce can hear his piano throughout the show? In his monitors perhaps? Or does their sound people turn his keyboard down?
I also wonder this-
Does Bruce clap, wave, adjust his mic, shrug, and play so little keyboard- because he doesn't know what he's doing? Bruce is such a knowledgable musician so I doubt it, but it is a possibility.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2015, 09:22:28 AM »

Do you think Bruce can hear his piano throughout the show? In his monitors perhaps? Or does their sound people turn his keyboard down?
I also wonder this-
Does Bruce clap, wave, adjust his mic, shrug, and play so little keyboard- because he doesn't know what he's doing? Bruce is such a knowledgable musician so I doubt it, but it is a possibility.
What are you impyling here? Let me you ask you since you have been asking all of the questions: What are your thoughts about why he does all of these things?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »

I also wonder this-
What are you impyling here? Let me you ask you since you have been asking all of the questions: What are your thoughts about why he does all of these things?

In my mind, being a "keyboardist" for your band, and clapping and waving like 75% of the time, makes you look like you don't know what you're doing. Does Bruce know what he's doing? Probably, he's a smart guy. But if he doesn't, he makes it obvious.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2015, 10:19:55 AM »

I also wonder this-

In my mind, being a "keyboardist" for your band, and clapping and waving like 75% of the time, makes you look like you don't know what you're doing. Does Bruce know what he's doing? Probably, he's a smart guy. But if he doesn't, he makes it obvious.
OK, so they have been at this since 1998 together and is that is 18 years of not knowing what you are doing? Not to mention 1965-72 and 1978-1997. Now, if you owned a company would you have someone work for you that long who doesn't know what he is doing? This smells of trolling to me. I think Ron has given you a pretty rational reason why Bruce's persona on stage is what it is.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2015, 02:16:37 PM »

OK, so they have been at this since 1998 together and is that is 18 years of not knowing what you are doing? Not to mention 1965-72 and 1978-1997. Now, if you owned a company would you have someone work for you that long who doesn't know what he is doing? This smells of trolling to me. I think Ron has given you a pretty rational reason why Bruce's persona on stage is what it is.
[/quote]

I'm not trolling. I'm just trying to have an honest discussion about a member of the BBs. Isn't that what this website is made for? Fellow BBs nerds discussing, and at times debating, over our favorite band.
Look, I agree with Ron, and I'm a big fan of Bruce. Notice, I said he probably does know what he's doing. I said he possibly doesn't know what he's doing, as a theory, not my opinion as fact.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2015, 09:41:18 PM »

When WAS the last time Bruce really played keys on stage? If memory serves me correctly, he is doing some real playing at the Knebworth 1980 gig. Even then, though, he has to adjust that mic stand frequently.
As for Brian, most of the times I have seen him on tv in recent years, his hands don't even touch the keys on the keyboard in front of him.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2015, 09:58:07 PM »

When WAS the last time Bruce really played keys on stage? If memory serves me correctly, he is doing some real playing at the Knebworth 1980 gig. Even then, though, he has to adjust that mic stand frequently.
As for Brian, most of the times I have seen him on tv in recent years, his hands don't even touch the keys on the keyboard in front of him.

I don't think Bruce has really played keyboards since approximately 1983(ish)...
Brian didn't play keys until about 2010. On his NPP tour, he's been doing more piano playing than singing, and on several occasions, he's demanded to be as loud as Darian and Scott! And Al has been playing lead on Sail on Sailor!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2015, 11:20:29 PM »

The real question is… What on earth would Bruce do if he wore a Britney Spears-esque mic clipped onto his noggin, and did not have a mic stand to adjust? Would he do ghost adjusting to a mic stand that's not there anymore (similar to how amputees have ghost feelings in limbs that have left the building?)
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2015, 11:34:38 PM »

I don't think the mic adjusting has anything to do with him trying to kill time - if you look at videos from 1980, when he was still one of only two keyboard players on stage, he'd still stop playing and adjust his mic fairly frequently. My guess is that it's just something that he's always picky about.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2015, 11:47:02 PM »

I don't think the mic adjusting has anything to do with him trying to kill time - if you look at videos from 1980, when he was still one of only two keyboard players on stage, he'd still stop playing and adjust his mic fairly frequently. My guess is that it's just something that he's always picky about.

Are there any examples of Bruce doing lots of mic adjusting back in the day when he was playing live bass in the band?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2015, 07:19:34 AM »

Are there any examples of Bruce doing lots of mic adjusting back in the day when he was playing live bass in the band?
Why does this matter? It feels childish to continue this for 5 pages. Wasn't Ron's explanation enough to cure this debilitating disease? I take it that it must be from boredom. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 23, 2015, 07:29:03 AM »

Playing consistently AND singing consistently does require some effort. As Brian's keyboard playing onstage became busier, his vocals became lazier. Bruce probably doesn't want to carry that burden throughout a show anymore.

But forget about the live shows. What the hell with all those Carl-written songs in the 1985 album in which he gave the guitar solos to somebody else?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 23, 2015, 09:04:15 AM »

Playing consistently AND singing consistently does require some effort. As Brian's keyboard playing onstage became busier, his vocals became lazier. Bruce probably doesn't want to carry that burden throughout a show anymore.

But forget about the live shows. What the hell with all those Carl-written songs in the 1985 album in which he gave the guitar solos to somebody else?

Yeah! Carl was an incredible guitarist!! He should've played those solos. Although in the songs he wrote for BB85, he played rhythm guitar and some additional keys.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2015, 01:23:47 PM »

Yeah! Carl was an incredible guitarist!! He should've played those solos. Although in the songs he wrote for BB85, he played rhythm guitar and some additional keys.
That is true, and Carl was never up onstage with a guitar strapped on but not played - his guitar was always heard.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx