gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 07:17:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love & Mercy Blu-Ray/DVD Official thread  (Read 54934 times)
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: September 16, 2015, 08:19:40 AM »

Haven't watched my copy yet. With the deleted scenes, does Banana still have more lines than Al?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 16, 2015, 08:22:28 AM »

I'm curious to know what you think, rab2591.

I feel a little silly for being so obsessed over this film so much, I'm sure I come off as a total nerd. Guilty as charge, I suppose.

Ive read every post you've made about the movie. I love the movie to death too...so I look forward to your posts. I was thinking about starting a proper analysis thread to dissect every bit of symbolism. You game?

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 16, 2015, 08:32:03 AM »

I'm curious to know what you think, rab2591.

I feel a little silly for being so obsessed over this film so much, I'm sure I come off as a total nerd. Guilty as charge, I suppose.

Ive read every post you've made about the movie. I love the movie to death too...so I look forward to your posts. I was thinking about starting a proper analysis thread to dissect every bit of symbolism. You game?

I'm down too! There's been some really good back and forth regarding the symbolism. Some stuff has been revealed through the featurettes on the DVD, and I'm hoping there's a bit more revealed in the commentary.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: September 16, 2015, 08:52:20 AM »

Start with the scenes in and around the swimming pool and a few chapters of analysis could be filled easily.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: September 16, 2015, 08:56:52 AM »

I have not watched or heard the commentary or extras yet, but even if it's not mentioned on the DVD I think there was also some symbolism in how some of the group scenes were staged, intentional or not. Like the scenes where they're listening to playbacks in the control room, the positions of the band members seem to be as deliberately staged as the scene in the pool when Van Dyke leaves the project.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 18, 2015, 12:38:18 AM »

Absolutely none of that stuff is acknowledged in the extras apart from the obvious color palettes.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 18, 2015, 05:36:07 AM »

I watched it again last night and was once again struck by the line by Brian when he told Melinda about how Marilyn saved his life and acknowledged that he wasn't a very good husband and father.  I thought that was very respectful and complimentary to Marilyn.  I can totally see Brian saying that.  He is a such an honest person and a class act.  I wonder if Marilyn's seen the movie and what she thinks of it. 
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 18, 2015, 06:05:48 AM »

I watched it again last night and was once again struck by the line by Brian when he told Melinda about how Marilyn saved his life and acknowledged that he wasn't a very good husband and father.  I thought that was very respectful and complimentary to Marilyn.  I can totally see Brian saying that.  He is a such an honest person and a class act.  I wonder if Marilyn's seen the movie and what she thinks of it.  

Probably glad there wasn't a scene w/ her introducing Brian to Dr. Landy. That'd be interesting tho. If they had done part of the film set in the '70s, such a scene would've made for a good connection to the '80s parts.

Actually, given this image, i assume they did shoot something w/ Landy in the 70s maybe an outtake from the bed montage scene?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 06:14:26 AM by Bittersweet-Sanity » Logged

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 18, 2015, 06:47:41 AM »

I watched it again last night and was once again struck by the line by Brian when he told Melinda about how Marilyn saved his life and acknowledged that he wasn't a very good husband and father.  I thought that was very respectful and complimentary to Marilyn.  I can totally see Brian saying that.  He is a such an honest person and a class act.  I wonder if Marilyn's seen the movie and what she thinks of it.  

Probably glad there wasn't a scene w/ her introducing Brian to Dr. Landy. That'd be interesting tho. If they had done part of the film set in the '70s, such a scene would've made for a good connection to the '80s parts.

Actually, given this image, i assume they did shoot something w/ Landy in the 70s maybe an outtake from the bed montage scene?

I think they absolutely did shoot at least some 'moments'. In the bed montage, Giamatti is seated on the bed talking to POV Cusack and he's wearing a different outfit from the one pictured below, but definitely with a 1970s vibe. Also, included in the featurettes there are multiple production stills that hint at other 'moments' filmed but not shown. Giamatti in this exact manner of dress throwing water at POV Cusack. Also, there is a still of Carl, Dennis, Marilyn, Audree standing at the foot of the bed.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 18, 2015, 06:53:10 AM »

boy, i gotta get the blu ray. You've been gr8 at championing this film JCM. Like you, i saw it various times in theatres (5x to be exact). Deserves an extras laden Criterion release.

damn, wish i could go back in time to the screening i went to in May and ask Pohald about deleted scenes haha

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 18, 2015, 07:28:56 AM »

That would've been awesome. Maybe someday we'll get to see some more of them..there's always hope. Smiley

Just saw this article and had to post, looks like a fun read:

Top 10 Scenes From ‘Love & Mercy’

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/love-and-mercy-scenes/

Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 18, 2015, 08:05:53 AM »

The tension in the last scene w/ Landy and Melinda was palpable. my heart was pounding the minute he walked into the dealership. That and Brian walking by himself before running into Melinda....the two most emotionally affecting scenes for me. Oh, and Melinda kissing Brian at the end of their date. made me cry.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 08:07:02 AM by Bittersweet-Sanity » Logged

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: September 18, 2015, 09:59:30 AM »

damn, wish i could go back in time to the screening i went to in May and ask Pohald about deleted scenes haha

As for me, I have no regrets about closing the Q&A session I went to by asking [my wife's question] about what Brian usually gets from In-N-Out.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 18, 2015, 10:22:18 AM »

That would've been awesome. Maybe someday we'll get to see some more of them..there's always hope. Smiley

Just saw this article and had to post, looks like a fun read:

Top 10 Scenes From ‘Love & Mercy’

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/love-and-mercy-scenes/
Just watched the "outtakes" and the A Side/ B side interviewing the actors, Pohlad, Overman, and Darian. Excellent. Love that Dano and Cusack relied on the "Sessions" to get the character authenticity and the ambiance for the important studio scenes.

Best Buy didn't have it on the shelves (store renovations) so I had to ask for it.  The Bluray has a "download" code. It's a good deal.

Imagery for Pohlad's "vortex" - Brian's ear is the vortex.  Still think the deleted scenes, although well-done, would have been distractions for purposes of focus. Better as DVD bonuses. It kept the film tight and suspenseful.  Wink
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 18, 2015, 11:36:07 AM »

Just watched the "outtakes" and the A Side/ B side interviewing the actors, Pohlad, Overman, and Darian. Excellent. Love that Dano and Cusack relied on the "Sessions" to get the character authenticity and the ambiance for the important studio scenes.

Best Buy didn't have it on the shelves (store renovations) so I had to ask for it.  The Bluray has a "download" code. It's a good deal.

Imagery for Pohlad's "vortex" - Brian's ear is the vortex.  Still think the deleted scenes, although well-done, would have been distractions for purposes of focus. Better as DVD bonuses. It kept the film tight and suspenseful.  Wink

I agree completely. In the audio commentary, Pohlad mentions the editor by name (Dino Jonsäter) and how he pushed him to keep the film focused and mold the final product. Rightly so, at no point does the film really lag or dwell on any one thing. But, at the same time, it never feels like anything is too hurried either. The one exception to that might be the resolution with Melinda calling Carl with the proof of Landy's abuses which leads to the serving of papers. At the same time though, if that had been fleshed out it might have felt like a procedural thing. And that would have deflected from the heaviness of everything that came before. It kind of lets the audience fill in the gaps.

Still though, I'm grateful that those deleted scenes were included for I feared we wouldn't get to see any of them. My only regret is that there weren't 8 or 10 of them instead of just 4.  Smokin

thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 20, 2015, 09:31:26 PM »

Did the theatrical release have "one kind of love" seemingly playing over the car radio while Brian and Melinda were heading to his childhood home at the end? It's present in the Blu Ray release and I definitely don't remember it in the early screener that I saw at the Atlanta Film Festival.
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 21, 2015, 05:21:09 AM »

Did the theatrical release have "one kind of love" seemingly playing over the car radio while Brian and Melinda were heading to his childhood home at the end? It's present in the Blu Ray release and I definitely don't remember it in the early screener that I saw at the Atlanta Film Festival.

Yes, I saw it in the theater and One Kind of Love was playing. I recall reading that they did change that from earlier versions. Speculation was that it was done so the song was eligible to be nominated for an Oscar.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 21, 2015, 07:59:19 AM »

My question is, what song was playing before "One Kind of Love" was used"? Anyone know?

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 21, 2015, 08:17:28 AM »

My question is, what song was playing before "One Kind of Love" was used"? Anyone know?

Barbara Ann ( Brian's ALL Time Fave)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
marcusb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 21, 2015, 11:20:16 AM »

The script said "cheesy pop song" supposedly. IMDB makes no mention other than OKOL wasn't in the early version.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 21, 2015, 01:45:24 PM »

Will someone who has the Blu-Ray or DVD please confirm that the deleted scenes are the same as those on iTunes?
On iTunes:
Brian Meets his Idol (Spector)
Brian Talks with his Family (re: touring)
Brian Looks for a Collaborator (Asher)
Murry Interrupts the Recording Session (Rhonda/I Get Around)

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 21, 2015, 01:59:06 PM »

Quick observation:

- My local Target and Meijer stores only carried the DVD, no Blu-Ray
- Local Target had no copies stocked by Friday--sell out?
- Finally found a Blu-Ray copy at Best Buy...should have pre-ordered from Amazon, as it was $18.

Seems like the physical copies sales must be doing well!
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 21, 2015, 02:24:11 PM »

Will someone who has the Blu-Ray or DVD please confirm that the deleted scenes are the same as those on iTunes?
On iTunes:

Confirmed. They are the same.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: September 21, 2015, 02:29:13 PM »

Regarding the Blu-ray itself...anybody having any navigation issues with it? On my setup I cannot bypass the previews at all unless I actually zip through them or skip the chapters manually (and zip through the last one), and I can't for the life of me get to the main menu without stopping and starting (and therefore basically going all the way back as if the thing had just been loaded)....

None of my other BDs do that...

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 21, 2015, 02:29:27 PM »

On iTunes:

Confirmed. They are the same.

Thanks  Cool
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 04:33:13 PM by Emily » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx