gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 07:07:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Proposed 2016 UK Tour  (Read 13246 times)
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2015, 07:18:34 AM »

as they are 40% deceased, there can be no original "beach boys".
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2015, 07:49:49 AM »

'Venue' - place where something happens, especially an organized event..... sounds like Glastonbury to me. The fact of it being a festival with lots of stages doesn't enthuse me I'm afraid. Outdoors, with all the possible problems that involves. Not partiuclarly comfortable, not ideal for some of Brian's so-called deeper cuts. Yes, I remember he played there before but whilst no doubt some fans would like it, I think quite a few wouldn't.

When Brian played there in 2005, it was voted the set of the festival and drew an enormous crowd, some of whom were 'surfing' as he played. It probably also helped that up until about 5minutes before Brian came out in blazing sunshine, it had been raining all day. The set included Marcella and Sail On Sailor. Oh, and Little St Nick!
I agree that festivals are not to everyone's taste but for that hour Brian owned Glastonbury and the band were mega hyped to be there.
I very much doubt Glasto 2016 is part of the agenda but I really do hope they do 2-3 nights at the RFH
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2015, 08:28:03 AM »

both RFH and Glasto could work for a 2016 tour by Brian or Brian and the Beach Boys.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2015, 08:49:07 AM »

After seeing C50, hearing NPP, and knowing how incredible both the current tour and Love and Mercy are, I believe anything is possible.

All of you can keep moaning about venue sizes and what Brian should/shouldn't do or play, but I'm going to wait until it happens to pass judgement.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2015, 09:10:04 AM »

'Venue' - place where something happens, especially an organized event..... sounds like Glastonbury to me. The fact of it being a festival with lots of stages doesn't enthuse me I'm afraid. Outdoors, with all the possible problems that involves. Not partiuclarly comfortable, not ideal for some of Brian's so-called deeper cuts. Yes, I remember he played there before but whilst no doubt some fans would like it, I think quite a few wouldn't.

When Brian played there in 2005, it was voted the set of the festival and drew an enormous crowd, some of whom were 'surfing' as he played. It probably also helped that up until about 5minutes before Brian came out in blazing sunshine, it had been raining all day. The set included Marcella and Sail On Sailor. Oh, and Little St Nick!
I agree that festivals are not to everyone's taste but for that hour Brian owned Glastonbury and the band were mega hyped to be there.
I very much doubt Glasto 2016 is part of the agenda but I really do hope they do 2-3 nights at the RFH

I know that Brian's previous show at Glastonbury was very successful. Each to their own - I just prefer a setting where we can hear some of the deeper cuts to advantage. I would much prefer 2-3 nights at the RFH - of course I suppose he could do both.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:01:39 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2015, 09:11:16 AM »

as they are 40% deceased, there can be no original "beach boys".

There can be no original Beach Boys band - there are still several surviving members of the original band however.
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2015, 10:15:43 AM »

hi Woodstock,  there really isn't moaning and judgement passing, but more to your point "anything is possible".
if we all discuss the many possibilities there is an enhanced chance of it happening.
Anything can happen, and sometimes does!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2015, 10:42:53 AM »

I know that Brian's previous show at Glastonbury was very successful. Each to their own - I just prefer a setting where we can hear some of the deeper cuts to advantage. I would much prefer 203 nights at the RFH - of course I suppose he could do both.

That's terrible 203 nights at the RFH would probably kill Brian and most of the band members. I reckon (and I know it probably won't happen in a million years) a Beach Boys reunion hits setlist at Glasto for the fans with energy followed by a six night residency at the RFH with deep cuts and Pet Sounds for those who don't want to get their hair wet and can cope without proper toilets.

First time I saw the Beach Boys live was at Knebworth in 1980. All the original Beach Boys plus Bruce were present excepting Dave, and it was a blast. There was a little cloud, a little light rain, bu the sun came out as they opened with Cali Girls. Anything's possible…

“We live in divisive times.”
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2015, 11:05:23 AM »

I know that Brian's previous show at Glastonbury was very successful. Each to their own - I just prefer a setting where we can hear some of the deeper cuts to advantage. I would much prefer 203 nights at the RFH - of course I suppose he could do both.

That's terrible 203 nights at the RFH would probably kill Brian and most of the band members. I reckon (and I know it probably won't happen in a million years) a Beach Boys reunion hits setlist at Glasto for the fans with energy followed by a six night residency at the RFH with deep cuts and Pet Sounds for those who don't want to get their hair wet and can cope without proper toilets.

First time I saw the Beach Boys live was at Knebworth in 1980. All the original Beach Boys plus Bruce were present excepting Dave, and it was a blast. There was a little cloud, a little light rain, bu the sun came out as they opened with Cali Girls. Anything's possible…

Typo - I've edited.  203 nights at the RFh would bankrupt me.

I had tickets to Knebworth and didn't make it. Not because of lack of energy but because of trying to help an injured bird which sadly didn't make it anyway.

I don't hanker after a(nother) reunion. I get enough pleasure out of a Brian concert.

cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2015, 11:23:15 AM »

for 2016 i would suggest 260 days @ RFH.
give them weekends off.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2015, 01:34:02 PM »

I started a thread a few days ago about Brian at Glastonbury 2005.  No-one commented on it! Sad
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 03:54:30 PM by mikeddonn » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2015, 03:04:42 PM »

When Brian played there in 2005, it was voted the set of the festival and drew an enormous crowd, some of whom were 'surfing' as he played.

Like, literally. Two dudes were crowd surfing... on actual surf boards ! Possibly the most bizarre thing I've ever seen at a festival.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2015, 03:07:46 PM »

When Brian played there in 2005, it was voted the set of the festival and drew an enormous crowd, some of whom were 'surfing' as he played.

Like, literally. Two dudes were crowd surfing... on actual surf boards ! Possibly the most bizarre thing I've ever seen at a festival.

I suppose it's too much to hope there is video? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Sjöman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2015, 03:48:57 PM »

Search: Brian Wilson Glastonbury 2005 (3/6)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 05:49:28 PM by Sjöman » Logged
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2015, 04:34:10 PM »

Can't help with video, but as one of those "dudes" passed right behind my head I span round and took a photo.  Unfortunately you can't see the surfboard due to the angle, so you'll just have to take my word for it that she was standing on something.  I'd have taken more photos but I was too busy going hog wild.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2015, 04:45:51 PM »

Search: Brian Wilson Glastonbury 2005 (1/6)

Thanxx for the link!  ( and to Theydon for the shot of one of the dudes) 
Interesting it was posted by Hollandsmile and there's a Smile Holland mod here.... 

But Missing the surfboards in this first episode was OK, as I was busy waving my arms along with the crowd following the always entrancing Taylor Mills....   

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2015, 08:35:31 PM »

Has Brian ever crowd surfed?

“We live in divisive times.”
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2015, 01:13:20 AM »

The surfing songs were a part of Brian's career and the 'fun' aspect of the shows is good but I find it exasperating when some people believe that is the main significance of Brian's music. Brian has been type-cast by some people, who are unaware of the wide range of songs he has written or else who just want to ignore all but a stereotypical part of it.

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2015, 01:23:24 AM »

My then-housemate was at that Glastonbury. He was very disappointed not to hear "Mrs O'Leary's Cow".

Please delete my account
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2015, 05:42:33 AM »

and yet the fun aspect is the main significance, Ang, for it is just that which led us to this great place !
nobody was initiated by "Fire", and then eventually discovered FFF.  It is the other way around.
2, 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 or 55 years ago a pair of ears hear the "fun", and then a voyage begins.
Fun is the gateway drug.

Brian has probably been crowd surfing all his life; he kinda rises above the fray.

- he certainly invented bed surfing !
KDS
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2015, 05:52:35 AM »

and yet the fun aspect is the main significance, Ang, for it is just that which led us to this great place !
nobody was initiated by "Fire", and then eventually discovered FFF.  It is the other way around.
2, 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 or 55 years ago a pair of ears hear the "fun", and then a voyage begins.
Fun is the gateway drug.

Brian has probably been crowd surfing all his life; he kinda rises above the fray.

I'd be interested to hear from somebody who initially discovered the BB/BW world via Smile, Sunflower, Surf's Up, Holland, Pacific Ocean Blue, etc and then later discovered the early songs about surfing, cars, and girls. 
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2015, 06:35:33 AM »

I'd expect many these days get into Pet Sounds and Smile first, then listen through the early stuff, stuff they sort of already knew but hadn't paid much attention to, with new ears.

To be honest, I'm not that bothered these days about deep cuts.  I go to hear the core material.  I realised this at the Gershwin show, where the order was flipped around.  The new 'work' was played first, then the hits were restored to their rightful place, as the main meal, the heart of the show.

Same with the touring Beach Boys.  The main point for me there is to hear Michael doing his thing on the early stuff, flipping between his leads and dropping to his bass parts.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2015, 07:21:44 AM »

that is a great question, KDS.  i believe that "they sort of knew but hadn't paid much attention to" by Fire Wind
is the BEST explanation i ever heard.
also, Fire Wind, your observation about flipping vocal parts is certainly one of the magic things which Brian
cultivated from before the beginning.  i have seen mike live several times this year and it is a joy.
even better was Brian doing the same thing last Saturday !

- is it really 2015 ?  how can this be happening ?
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2015, 07:22:04 AM »

Fun is the gateway drug.

I'd be interested to hear from somebody who initially discovered the BB/BW world via Smile, Sunflower, Surf's Up, Holland, Pacific Ocean Blue, etc and then later discovered the early songs about surfing, cars, and girls. 

I started with the hits, but I didn't start going through their discography until after I listened to smiley smile

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2015, 07:45:38 AM »

Fun is the gateway drug.

I refer to that person as a liar.   Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx