gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:19:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hoffman Board - Thread about Hite Morgan Sessions Kickstarter - Deleted!  (Read 38748 times)
raphph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 04:39:38 AM »

Brad Elliot is a scumbag. Roll Eyes

Brad is a standup guy. Even Steve Hoffman has said so. The whole 2000 release saga was unfortunate for everyone involved. The person who lost the most in the whole saga was Brad.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 04:42:38 AM »

Many thanks for the response Raphael.

Will this release use the Steve Hoffman mastering?

“We live in divisive times.”
raphph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 04:45:11 AM »

Many thanks for the response Raphael.

Will this release use the Steve Hoffman mastering?

Exactly the same mastering that was used for the shelved First Wave release...

The recordings sound great...

If you guys want me to post any more snippets - I'd be happy to oblige...
raphph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 04:45:45 AM »

And please for the love of God

BACK THE CAMPAIGN

Or else no one gets these recordings Smiley

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/448050763/unreleased-beach-boys-recordings
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 05:14:13 AM »

Hi RaphPH, thanks for posting here.

So how did you come to be in possession of these tapes?
raphph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2015, 05:22:32 AM »

Hi RaphPH, thanks for posting here.

So how did you come to be in possession of these tapes?

They came into my possession through middle men acting on behalf of an anonymous party who insisted on a quality and fitting release for such a historical document.

This came about as I posted on the Hoffman forums about wanting to start a label and I was based in London.
raphph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2015, 07:04:59 AM »

Keep the questions coming guys - would hate to find a reason why you aren't backing the campaign...
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2015, 07:07:53 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to answer Smiley

Why not release the full 2CD set as Brad was planning to do?

If i buy this, i might have to buy the same thing again later on for a few more tracks. I already have Lost & Found, and i'll be honest, these aren't the greatest tracks in the world Smiley
raphph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2015, 07:21:37 AM »

If i buy this, i might have to buy the same thing again later on for a few more tracks. I already have Lost & Found, and i'll be honest, these aren't the greatest tracks in the world Smiley

Legally, I can only release tracks that have fallen into Public Domain under UK law. You'll get a 73 mins CD.

I believe the original Lost And Found DCC was only around half an hour?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2015, 07:28:43 AM »

Raphael, you have to understand, and you seem like a smart guy so I know you do; many collectors were burned by the last offering of these tracks in 2000. People fronted their money for the CD set and did not get a refund when it didn't happen. This was unexpected and people learned their lessons from it. I'm sure that many, including myself, want to see the goods physically materialize first before laying out money for the product.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
raphph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2015, 07:42:11 AM »

Raphael, you have to understand, and you seem like a smart guy so I know you do; many collectors were burned by the last offering of these tracks in 2000. People fronted their money for the CD set and did not get a refund when it didn't happen. This was unexpected and people learned their lessons from it. I'm sure that many, including myself, want to see the goods physically materialize first before laying out money for the product.

One of the reasons why I pursued the Kickstarter route was so that it's much easier to provide refunds and track all purchases / pledges should any mishaps / delays occur.

I totally understand anyone's reluctance...It's regrettable that anyone feels burned by any musical release that was shelved or halted...

This is not about profit - it's about giving these recordings the release they deserve...It breaks my heart that these Julie London albums are being treated so shoddily because they have fallen in the Public Domain in the UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/8-Classics-Julie-London/dp/B0051OJG4Q/

I want these recordings / Prelude To Summer... to be a kickass release... You guys deserve to hear these...I can't wait to have you all hear them..
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2015, 08:02:36 AM »

Raphael, I know my main interest lies in the unheard studio version of "Lavender."  That was going to be one of the highlights of the FIRST WAVE release.  Any chance of posting a 10-15 second snippet?

Thanks,

Lee
raphph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2015, 08:05:07 AM »

Raphael, I know my main interest lies in the unheard studio version of "Lavender."  That was going to be one of the highlights of the FIRST WAVE release.  Any chance of posting a 10-15 second snippet?

Thanks,

Lee

Help me out - which specifically from the list of 48 Prelude To Summer tracks are you requesting?
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2015, 08:10:18 AM »

23. Lavender [Take 4].  I believe all we've heard before is the demo.

Thanks,

Lee
raphph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2015, 08:12:44 AM »

23. Lavender [Take 4].  I believe all we've heard before is the demo.

Thanks,

Lee

Here's the first minute https://www.dropbox.com/s/5vqkjuzig65nxjl/23%20-%20Lavender%20%5Btake%204%5D%20SNIPPET.mp3?dl=0
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2015, 08:18:48 AM »

Brad is a standup guy. Even Steve Hoffman has said so. The whole 2000 release saga was unfortunate for everyone involved. The person who lost the most in the whole saga was Brad.

The whole 2000 release saga was WORST for those whose money Brad stole.  

While you seem to be a good guy yourself, you obvioulsy don't understand the situation and your defense of Brad only serves to label you much less so.
Brad took $40000 + dollars from people and gave nothing in return; choosing instead to slink away and  disappear.  
Using Steve Hoffman as a defense for Brad only adds to YOUR loss of credibility; Steve deletes any postings on his own page that don't make him appear to be a demi-god, so why would anyone take his word about the scumbag Brad?  

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2015, 08:23:27 AM »

Oh that sounds great!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
raphph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2015, 08:24:29 AM »

The whole 2000 release saga was WORST for those whose money Brad stole.  

While you seem to be a good guy yourself, you obvioulsy don't understand the situation and your defense of Brad only serves to label you much less so.
Brad took $40000 + dollars from people and gave nothing in return; choosing instead to slink away and  disappear.  
Using Steve Hoffman as a defense for Brad only adds to YOUR loss of credibility; Steve deletes any postings on his own page that don't make him appear to be a demi-god, so why would anyone take his word about the scumbag Brad?  

Hey dude,

I get that this is a really thorny issue for a lot of people. I get that, I really do. I only quoted Steve Hoffman as he was the mastering engineer on that release - not because of any demigod notion.

I'm trying to bring this back to focus on the music.

These are truly some great recordings.

No one gets to hear them. That sucks.

We live in a Spotify age of awful releases. I'm trying to be a libertarian and get these out there. It would cheapen them to just release them digitally on iTunes. I want to give them a good package. No one is more qualified to write those notes than Brad. This "Prelude To Summer..." package truly is a just testament to these recordings - else I wouldn't put my name on it.

Maybe I'm naive in my plight, but I sleep at night with 100% faith that I'm trying to do a good thing for likeminded Beach Boys fans...

Honestly, I would dearly love for you guys to help me...I get why there is reluctance...I'm trying to bring this back to the music...I'm probably not going to hit this goal - but I'd damn well like to try...
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2015, 08:47:08 AM »

I appreciate your efforts in trying to get this released, and i'd love to buy these recordings, but i'm going to fall into the category of people who'd buy this set only once it's done and ready to go.

i hope you make it that far!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2015, 08:51:08 AM »

So why do you need $38,000 to press 1,500 copies?
raphph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2015, 08:53:43 AM »

Tis a valid question. Whilst I'm not going to provide breakdowns of costs - I will say that it's taken a lot of behind the scenes costs to pull this together. Else I'd just burn CD-Rs of 1500 copies and mail them to you all.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2015, 08:59:37 AM »

Maybe Brad can front you the money he f***ed off with back in 2000? In all seriousness though, this is a very worthy thing you are attempting to do and I wish you the best. If you want someone to write the inlay notes you could do a lot worse then approaching a few guys who post here.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2015, 09:01:01 AM »

Legally, I can only release tracks that have fallen into Public Domain under UK law. You'll get a 73 mins CD.

Trying to A/B Prelude to Summer/ First Wave,  These seem to be the tracks you're not including; can you explain why you deem these not to be Public Domain while the ones you're including are?  

>>
Disc One
Recorded September 15, 1961

1. Surfin' (demo) 2:24
 8. Lavender (demo, take 4) 2:22 *

Recorded October 3, 1961

9. Surfin' (take 1) 0:16
 10. Surfin' (take 2) 2:22
 17. Luau (take 1) 0:20
 18. Luau (take 2) 1:51

Recorded February 8, 1962   ( Some of these four may be on your set, but the track titles aren't a firm match)

35. Surfin' Safari (take 10) 2:07 *
 36. Surfin' Safari (overdub take 1 on take 6) 2:24
 37. Surfin' Safari (overdub take 2 on take 10) 2:17
 38. Surfin' Safari (stereo overdub on take 6) 2:06

Disc Two
Recorded February 8, 1962

4. Surfer Girl (take 4) 2:24 *
 7. Surfer Girl (overdub take 1 on take 4) 2:33
 9. Judy (take 2) 2:35 *
 10. Judy (overdub take 1 on take 2) 2:29
 11. Judy (overdub take 2 on take 2) 2:41
 12. Beach Boy Stomp (take 1) 1:34 *
 15. Beach Boy Stomp (overdub take 1 on take 1) 1:32 *
 16. Beach Boy Stomp (overdub take 2 on take 1) 1:38

Recorded March 8, 1962

23. Barbie (overdub take 7) 2:45
<<

Also, While I can't speak for anyone but myself, I have to say that using Brad for liner notes ( no matter how qualified you deem him to be) leaves an extremely bad taste and may well be a primary reason for people NOT to support your campaign. He stole people's money and yet he's to be paid by them again?  You have to see how wrong this is.

Tis a valid question. Whilst I'm not going to provide breakdowns of costs - I will say that it's taken a lot of behind the scenes costs to pull this together. Else I'd just burn CD-Rs of 1500 copies and mail them to you all.

As yo've presented it, I see no way you're going to reach your goal.
You'll be better off taking PM "orders" and distributing  CD-Rs for $25 each

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2015, 09:05:03 AM »

It would cheapen them to just release them digitally on iTunes.

Would releasing them on iTunes bring the overall cost down significantly? I totally get that you're trying to make this a nice release (and it looks as if you've put a lot of thought and energy into it), but if the focus is primarily on getting this music to the fans I don't at all see a problem with this being solely a digital release.

The Keep An Eye On Summer - 1964 Sessions release from December was a godsend, one of my favorite releases ever, and it was limited to iTunes (and possibly other music sites). Given the content, the fact it was an iTunes release didn't cheapen it at all for me.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
raphph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2015, 09:18:40 AM »

Trying to A/B Prelude to Summer/ First Wave,  These seem to be the tracks you're not including; can you explain why you deem these not to be Public Domain while the ones you're including are?  

>>
Disc One
Recorded September 15, 1961

1. Surfin' (demo) 2:24
 8. Lavender (demo, take 4) 2:22 *

Recorded October 3, 1961

9. Surfin' (take 1) 0:16
 10. Surfin' (take 2) 2:22
 17. Luau (take 1) 0:20
 18. Luau (take 2) 1:51

Recorded February 8, 1962   ( Some of these four may be on your set, but the track titles aren't a firm match)

35. Surfin' Safari (take 10) 2:07 *
 36. Surfin' Safari (overdub take 1 on take 6) 2:24
 37. Surfin' Safari (overdub take 2 on take 10) 2:17
 38. Surfin' Safari (stereo overdub on take 6) 2:06

Disc Two
Recorded February 8, 1962

4. Surfer Girl (take 4) 2:24 *
 7. Surfer Girl (overdub take 1 on take 4) 2:33
 9. Judy (take 2) 2:35 *
 10. Judy (overdub take 1 on take 2) 2:29
 11. Judy (overdub take 2 on take 2) 2:41
 12. Beach Boy Stomp (take 1) 1:34 *
 15. Beach Boy Stomp (overdub take 1 on take 1) 1:32 *
 16. Beach Boy Stomp (overdub take 2 on take 1) 1:38

Recorded March 8, 1962

23. Barbie (overdub take 7) 2:45
<<

Also, While I can't speak for anyone but myself, I have to say that using Brad for liner notes ( no matter how qualified you deem him to be) leaves an extremely bad taste and may well be a primary reason for people NOT to support your campaign. He stole people's money and yet he's to be paid by them again?  You have to see how wrong this is.

As yo've presented it, I see no way you're going to reach your goal.
You'll be better off taking PM "orders" and distributing  CD-Rs for $25 each

The tracks  included have never been released in the last fifty years.  A/B'd them all comprehensively. The ones not included had legal contentions as to their release. The original tracklist that was going to be presented for Prelude To Summer was much longer...
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx