gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:49:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Collabrations with Brian in the 70s  (Read 7493 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2006, 09:31:26 PM »

Working with Jack Riley, Van Dyke Parks (which I think is just Sail On Sailor), some songs with Mike; and there you have it, the people who collabrated with Brian the 70s, well and then there's the amazing stuff he did by himself on LOVe you....

But it would have been awesome if he coulda worked with others, like?
I think 15 Big Ones woulda been great if it was GIOMH style...guest artist and reworking (like he did with oldies)...
I think a Brian/Macca would have been a great seller...it seems Paul wasnt as big in the later 70s (i dont know, i wasnt living) but his music wasnt as good (to me). I feel like when Brian wrote a Friend like you, it was feelings of now and then...then being when he was isolated....

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 09:37:56 PM »

He also worked with David Sandler on the Spring album, and with Carl a bit.

I wish he would have done a lot more solo material in the Fairy Tale, Love You and Adult Child vein. I don't think he necessarily NEEDS collaborators, he's always relied on others far too much than his own considerable talents warranted.

But having said that, my dream Wilson collaboration would probably have been with Zappa and/or a produced/written album for Blondie, a Brian reply to Spector's End Of The Century production for the Ramones.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 09:40:47 PM »

ah yeah, good timin' with carl...that american Spring stuff is awesome...

how could i forget fairy tale & adult child...my favorite obscure stuff of Brian.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 03:39:10 AM »

Brian's a better lyricist than some people give him credit for. Some of his lyrics were among the best in the Beach Boys canon.

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 08:02:23 AM »

Without a question! Just listen to "Til I Die", one of the greatest and deepest lyrics in the history of the band.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 12:53:36 PM »

I've always preferred Brian's simpler lyrics to the oft-mentioned "Till I Die." To me, the latter is largely a series of relatively obvious choices. The songs that I prefer are those that are just Brian Wilson writing lyrics. "Busy Doin Nothing" would be a choice of mine as an example of his better lyrics. I like a lot of the lyrics on Love You. Did he do "I'd Love Just Once To See You" alone? If those are his, those are also among my favorites.

It isn't always simile, metaphor and grand ideas that make for the best lyrics. (Of course, it isn't always the opposite, either. There's time for everything. A time to kill; a time to die; a time ... aw, fvck it. I won't go that route.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 11:57:29 PM »

Did he do "I'd Love Just Once To See You" alone?

I'd Love Just Once To See You is a Brian Wilson/Mike Love composition.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 12:07:55 AM »

I very much doubt that Mike wrote those lyrics. The tunes on that album seemed to be credited to those two across the board, even Mama Says, which we know had no Mike involvement.
I'd Love does not sound like Mike lyrics to me, but I may be wrong.

Chris D.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 10:03:51 AM »

I wish he would have done a lot more solo material in the Fairy Tale, Love You and Adult Child vein. I don't think he necessarily NEEDS collaborators, he's always relied on others far too much than his own considerable talents warranted.

But having said that, my dream Wilson collaboration would probably have been with Zappa and/or a produced/written album for Blondie, a Brian reply to Spector's End Of The Century production for the Ramones.

I totally agree my little gumdrop.  I don't even like Blondie very much, but I think that would be cool.  Him writing for them would be perfect.  Him with Zappa would be excellent.
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 02:37:42 PM »

I would love to have heard a Brian-Lindsey Buckingham collab in the 70's, with both performing, and Brian producing, and a Brian-Dave Edmunds collab would have been a wonderful thing to hear.

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 03:21:35 PM »

I totally agree my little gumdrop.  I don't even like Blondie very much, but I think that would be cool.  Him writing for them would be perfect.  Him with Zappa would be excellent.

Thanks, lemon pie.
Can you imagine Brian revisiting He's A Doll with the Debster? Delicious, especially with the Keith Moonie stylings of Clem Burke!

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 06:28:22 PM »

I very much doubt that Mike wrote those lyrics. The tunes on that album seemed to be credited to those two across the board, even Mama Says, which we know had no Mike involvement.
I'd Love does not sound like Mike lyrics to me, but I may be wrong.

Totally agree, and I would say the same for Smiley.  IMO those are political credits to make band unity happen, not because Mike actually wrote all of the lyrics. ILJOTSY is pure Brian Wilson and would have fit fine (with farting synths natch) on LY.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx