gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:44:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Most embarrassing dodged bullets of The Beach Boys' career?  (Read 10443 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 06:06:52 PM »

Giving the license to Mike Love.   Brow

Love ya OSD, but you do realize that with this post you're basically saying The Beach Boys dodged a bullet by giving Mike Love the license. I don't think that's necessarily what you meant to say! Ha!  Grin
rogerlancelot
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 06:20:17 PM »

I hate to admit this but I think not releasing Adult Child was dodging a bullet. Seriously, just listen to Brian croak on "Deep Purple" and then ask yourself if this would have been a good album to release in 1977-78.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2015, 06:36:09 PM »

I hate to admit this but I think not releasing Adult Child was dodging a bullet. Seriously, just listen to Brian croak on "Deep Purple" and then ask yourself if this would have been a good album to release in 1977-78.
Is it any better than Kona Coast?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2015, 06:53:51 PM »

Lei'd in Hawaii.

Disagree. The ultra-stripped down, vastly different arrangements are really interesting and generally enjoyable. "Surfer Girl", holy sh*t, that's a nice version.

As for potential embarrasing dodged bullets, No Pier Pressure, in any form, being a Beach Boys record.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 07:19:30 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2015, 06:57:33 PM »

Giving the license to Mike Love.   Brow

Love ya OSD, but you do realize that with this post you're basically saying The Beach Boys dodged a bullet by giving Mike Love the license. I don't think that's necessarily what you meant to say! Ha!  Grin

LOL LOL Back to the drawing board! Misread the title. My bad.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2015, 07:46:29 PM »

This could have been embarrassing, but we'll never know. According to the May 21, 1966, issue of Billboard:

Last October, [Capitol Records] announced its entry into filmdom through the formation of Tower Productions, which would star selected Capitol artists in films. The first project tied the Beach Boys, Capitol's leading American rock 'n roll group, with Steve Broidy, former Allied Artists Pictures president. Two months later the Beach Boys' film fell apart due to script trouble. The project remains shelved.

http://www.billboard.com/magazine-archive

IMDb says Steve Broidy was 60 years old in 1965 and had produced one movie in his career ("Rocket Attack U.S.A." in 1961). He went on to produce three more movies, including Sonny and Cher's "Good Times" in 1967. "Good Times" has a zero positive rating from the critics on Rotten Tomatoes, and a 30% positive rating from the public, although (or because) it was the first feature film directed by William Friedkin ("The French Connection", "The Exorcist").

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2015, 09:01:50 PM »

This could have been embarrassing, but we'll never know. According to the May 21, 1966, issue of Billboard:

Last October, [Capitol Records] announced its entry into filmdom through the formation of Tower Productions, which would star selected Capitol artists in films. The first project tied the Beach Boys, Capitol's leading American rock 'n roll group, with Steve Broidy, former Allied Artists Pictures president. Two months later the Beach Boys' film fell apart due to script trouble. The project remains shelved.

IMDb says Steve Broidy was 60 years old in 1965 and had produced one movie in his career ("Rocket Attack U.S.A." in 1961). He went on to produce three more movies, including Sonny and Cher's "Good Times" in 1967. "Good Times" has a zero positive rating from the critics on Rotten Tomatoes, and a 30% positive rating from the public, although (or because) it was the first feature film directed by William Friedkin ("The French Connection", "The Exorcist").

A Beach Boys movie is something I wish had happened.  If they had their own Hard Day's Night, that would have been great!

Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2015, 09:07:17 PM »

Jeez when you put it that way, they didn't dodge many bullets , they got hit with most of them.

Most of which they fired at themselves. And if things ever got going well, they found a cannon and jumped in front of it. See, C50.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2015, 09:17:27 PM »

How about when they were considering changing their name to just "Beach"? All things considered, likely would have had disasterous results.

"Beach" more embarrassing than "the Beach Boys"? Don't think so...
better to be named after a place people love to go to instead of giant bugs like four limeys from liverpool and their contemporaries that were named after moving rocks...
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2015, 09:33:46 PM »

Beach Boys-produced Charles Manson album

This is probably the biggest one.

Some others:

Phil Spector's rejection of "Don't Worry Baby," allowing the boys to record it themselves.

Reprise's rejection of Holland, resulting in the removal of "We Got Love" and the addition of "Sail On, Sailor."

The non-release of the Kalinich poetry album.

Also, Bruce's non-membership in the band from 1972-1978.  They still got his voice when they needed it, but just try to imagine any of the albums they released in that period with something from Going Public on them.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2015, 09:51:24 PM »

Could still happen, so taking aim.......

The Stamos Beach Boys musical.

Shocked

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2015, 12:01:27 AM »

But if The Beach Boys did produce and release a Manson album there's a good chance the Tate/LaBianca murders would never have happened.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2015, 03:43:18 AM »

But if The Beach Boys did produce and release a Manson album there's a good chance the Tate/LaBianca murders would never have happened.

Hmm… maybe not the Tate/LaBianca murders themselves but it's difficult to imagine that the Manson family wouldn't have eventually murdered someone given what happened.  How would Manson have reacted if he got his album made but it didn't sell and didn't turn into a career?

Of course at this point we're pretty far into "what if" land, but it's difficult to imagine any alternate story with the Manson family ending prettily.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2015, 05:31:33 AM »

A Beach Boys movie is something I wish had happened.  If they had their own Hard Day's Night, that would have been great!

They aren´t funny enough, Brian would be doing some goofy stuff or not show up and can you even imagine how Mike would be in a film given that in 1968 he went completely nuts with his shouting during perfromances, weird antics and jesus dress? Dennis would probably skip it as well.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2015, 07:15:22 AM »

Not officially releasing the original version of Hey Little Tomboy.
And I love the tune, but recording a full studio version of Lazy Lizzie would not have been a good idea.
Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2015, 04:29:47 PM »

Not bringing a horse into the studio.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2015, 09:06:20 PM »

Reprise's rejection of Holland, resulting in the removal of "We Got Love" and the addition of "Sail On, Sailor."

You might say that 'Sail On Sailor' replacing 'We Got Love' was an improvement, but I don't think it would have been embarrasing.

And totally disagree with the Kalinich record. Probably wouldn't be commercial but very artistic.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2015, 08:58:26 AM »

The Brian/Jeff Beck album.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2015, 09:50:33 AM »

You might say that 'Sail On Sailor' replacing 'We Got Love' was an improvement, but I don't think it would have been embarrasing.

And totally disagree with the Kalinich record. Probably wouldn't be commercial but very artistic.

It has been released since...
Larry Franz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2015, 10:06:47 AM »

The Brian/Jeff Beck album.

Care to elaborate? I was looking forward to the thing.

Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into. (It became fine later on.)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2015, 01:10:13 AM »

"Rocket Attack U.S.A." was featured on Mystery Science Theatre 3000 and quite rightfully so.  It is really bad.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx