gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:17:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Most embarrassing dodged bullets of The Beach Boys' career?  (Read 10522 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2015, 11:02:19 AM »

I'm gonna say the Mike Love/Bart Simpson duet collaboration for the song "Summer of Love" that never was. I still wonder how far along this idea got into development before being nixed; maybe there were some lyrics that were written.

Are there any other projects/ideas that never came to fruition which could top this one?

The BBs did a lot of embarrassing projects, and lots of embarrassing unreleased material has leaked out, but I'm talking more about things that never actually happened, but were on the table/discussed, and fell through (fortunately). Songs, tour ideas, etc. Let's hear em.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 12:01:31 PM »

How about when they were considering changing their name to just "Beach"? All things considered, likely would have had disasterous results.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »

Al's supposed attempt to do a symphonic Pet Sounds tour involving Peter Cetera ...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 01:05:54 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 12:07:50 PM »

I'm gonna say the Mike Love/Bart Simpson duet collaboration for the song "Summer of Love" that never was. I still wonder how far along this idea got into development before being nixed; maybe there were some lyrics that were written.

Wait a minute..... I heard some jokes about that but never knew that there was actually a plan for that  Shocked I always thought it was just the humour of this board....
Was there really a plan for that?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
KDS
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 12:17:44 PM »

The addition of Bart Simpson would make Summer of Love no less embarrassing. 

In fact, it would probably make it easier to write that song off as a "sign of the times" ALA the collaboration with The Fat Boys. 
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 12:19:21 PM »

How about when they were considering changing their name to just "Beach"? All things considered, likely would have had disasterous results.

"Beach" more embarrassing than "the Beach Boys"? Don't think so...
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 12:44:55 PM »

Not releasing Seasons In The Sun.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 12:50:13 PM »

Not releasing Seasons In The Sun.

Ditto for "Battle Hymn Of The Republic".
KDS
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 12:54:40 PM »

Stars and Stripes Vol 2.   
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 12:58:45 PM »

Lei'd in Hawaii.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 01:11:25 PM »

Jeez when you put it that way, they didn't dodge many bullets , they got hit with most of them.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 01:19:19 PM »

The 25th Anniversary TV special.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 01:23:47 PM »

Wait a minute..... I heard some jokes about that but never knew that there was actually a plan for that  Shocked I always thought it was just the humour of this board....

I'm hoping that at some point, an unfinished demo leaks out with Mike and Nancy "Bart" Cartwright doing their duet thang. Wonder if it was gonna be called "Summer of Bart" or something?

From what I recall reading on this board, I don't think it was a joke - I think it really was a proposed idea.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 01:31:45 PM »

Ditto for "Battle Hymn Of The Republic".>>

Really?
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 01:39:52 PM »

Jeez when you put it that way, they didn't dodge many bullets , they got hit with most of them.
  LOL
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 01:44:56 PM »

How about Bruce's idea to rerecord "Surfin'" in 2001 to have it sound like a Britney Spears record?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 01:50:48 PM »

Beach Boys-produced Charles Manson album
"Masterpiece"- SiP follow-up
"Smart Girls"
2012 re-recordings/oldies album

Please delete my account
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 02:07:21 PM »

"Masterpiece"- SiP follow-up
Is this a real thing???  If so, could someone elaborate??   Shocked
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 02:12:48 PM »

The "Masterpiece" thing sounds somewhat compelling. For some strange reason I wish we could hear what this would've been like.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 03:31:06 PM »

If the Seasons in the Sun version available on YewToob was the 'finished' product...I'm good with them NOT releasing it.  It was way too incomplete and unrealized.  Terry Jacks version is better.

Not going to Monterey is the biggest mistake...the golden opportunity they dodged.  But, and Brian likely knew...thus causing him to make 'the call', maybe they just weren't ready to do it and would have fallen flat on their faces.  Mike mincing and lisping his way through a set would have been an all-time killer.  [what do I mean by that?  listen to his 'patter' on Live in London. Shocked  Ouch!!!]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tpesky said it..."Jeez when you put it that way, they didn't dodge many bullets , they got hit with most of them."
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 03:35:42 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 03:46:53 PM »

Howdy From Maui... no wait  that WAS released!!!  Shocked
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 04:25:29 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me.  "Do the Bartman" (which was ghostwritten by Michael Jackson) and The Simpsons itself was a huge hit in the early 90s and Mike seems just like the kind of guy who would want to cash in on that.  Grin  Though I think it would have been creepy for Mike to be singing a song with so many sexual innuendos as a duet with a fictional ten year old boy.

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 04:28:23 PM »

Mike Love Presents ATLANTIS RISING
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 05:12:01 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me.  "Do the Bartman" (which was ghostwritten by Michael Jackson) and The Simpsons itself was a huge hit in the early 90s and Mike seems just like the kind of guy who would want to cash in on that.  Grin  Though I think it would have been creepy for Mike to be singing a song with so many sexual innuendos as a duet with a fictional ten year old boy.

When I Grow Up to be a Bartman?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 05:17:56 PM »

Giving the license to Mike Love.   Brow

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx