gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:18:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian August 1967 interview  (Read 21497 times)
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2015, 05:43:41 AM »

If we go strictly by what anybody SAYS, and not what they mean, then:

Brian: I'll tell you from my heart, the reasons that I didn't finish SMiLE in 1967 was Mike didn't like it, I thought it was too experimental, I thought the Fire tape was too scary, I didn't think people would understand where my head was at, at that time.

Do you believe that Mike was really one of the main reasons that the album was scrapped? I don't, I think that all of the BB's (except for Dennis) played a part,  but Brian SAYS that he did. So, since Brian SAID it, it must be true.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2015, 06:01:39 AM »

Brian: I'll tell you from my heart, the reasons that I didn't finish SMiLE in 1967 was Mike didn't like it, I thought it was too experimental, I thought the Fire tape was too scary, I didn't think people would understand where my head was at, at that time.

Do you believe that Mike was really one of the main reasons that the album was scrapped? I don't, I think that all of the BB's (except for Dennis) played a part,  but Brian SAYS that he did. So, since Brian SAID it, it must be true.
Like when he said the fire tapes were destroyed or SMiLE was destroyed?  Absolute truth...   Roll Eyes
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 25, 2015, 06:28:18 AM »

And it's even more interesting that you bring up that quote from Brian, because Cam totally dismisses it, because it doesn't fit in with the version of events he likes to pretend happened.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 25, 2015, 06:59:49 AM »

The gospel of Cam.... Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 25, 2015, 08:02:22 AM »

I'm running out of ways to say it.

She is saying what she thinks people think and even what she thinks people think other people think and she says "she thinks" (when she does) because it is to some degree speculative. Think as in have an opinion about what people think about what other people think.  No one else means it this way when they are discussing what they think other people are thinking?

You are qite good at not answering.

It's true. He's taken pinders place as he board fillibusterer

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 25, 2015, 08:04:27 AM »

She is saying what she thinks people think and even what she thinks people think other people think and she says "she thinks" (when she does) because it is to some degree speculative. Think as in have an opinion about what people think about what other people think.  No one else means it this way when they are discussing what they think other people are thinking?

What is it you want me to answer?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 08:16:02 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2015, 08:12:09 AM »

On the topic of Brian on "happening", here are some other quotes from slightly earlier.

“Something is happening but I don’t know what it is. The whole thing is there hasn’t been much happening for a long time and somebody is trying to make it happen. The radio is the medium at this time, and a long way from where it could be. You won’t have to wait another ten years for another Beatles, we need it too much. In about six months there’s going to be an explosion. Wait and see.” 
Brian Wilson; Tiger Beat, Aug. 1966, p. 39; on newstands July 15 1966

“I just try and be current, not exactly go along with what’s happening, but do my version of what’s happening. I like also to try and create something and make something happen as well as to do something that’s happening.
I have some things in mind for the future which are my own things. They aren’t exactly in step with what’s going on now, but I’d like to make a few things happen. I’m not speaking about lyrics, but record techniques.
I’d just call it, at this point, Contemporary American Music. Not rock ‘n’ roll. Rock ‘n’ roll is such a worn out phrase, it’s just Contemporary American…creative.
I worked for about four or five months on that album, writing and planning the overall sound for it.
We’re excited about the album because it means a lot to us to produce an LP throughout, to work hard on every track more or less like each one was a single.
The inner strength it’s given me. The strength it’s given me in all areas of life - it stimulates everything. I have lately become very aware of the spiritual side of life - all kinds of things like that.
Oh yeah! It’s hard to tell what kind of happiness you bring - say a young girl. But I’m thinking of the future when I’ll be in a position to really bring happiness to people.
The size of the industry alone - there’s so many people, so many stars, so many artists, I don’t think in terms of ‘I’m making kids happy at the moment.’ “

Brian Wilson; NME; published August 5, 1966

Brian Wilson: “Psychedelic music will cover the face of the world and color the whole popular music scene. Anybody happening is psychedelic.”

NME:  “He coined the word ‘phychedelicate’ during our conversation because it sounded cool.”

NME; published Oct 22, 1966

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2015, 08:47:28 AM »

She is saying what she thinks people think and even what she thinks people think other people think and she says "she thinks" (when she does) because it is to some degree speculative. Think as in have an opinion about what people think about what other people think.  No one else means it this way when they are discussing what they think other people are thinking?

Cam, you still haven't answered my question.

Would you question Brian for Brian saying that Murry hurt his feelings? Would this be subject for debate?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2015, 08:56:00 AM »

She is saying what she thinks people think and even what she thinks people think other people think and she says "she thinks" (when she does) because it is to some degree speculative. Think as in have an opinion about what people think about what other people think.  No one else means it this way when they are discussing what they think other people are thinking?

Not quite. Cam was Pinder before Pinder was even a twinkle in his father's eye. He's been throwing bullshit out there for years. Ask Dan Lega. Or Ian W. Or any of those guys.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2015, 09:35:52 AM »

Would you question Brian for Brian saying that Murry hurt his feelings? Would this be subject for debate?

That would be Brian speaking about his own feelings, so no.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2015, 10:04:20 AM »

That would be Brian speaking about his own feelings, so no.

But if Brian had never actually spoken those words, never directly addressed his feelings an interview to say that his father had hurt his feelings deeply, and the same goes for all three Wilson brothers, then would it to you still be honestly, truly worthy of debate as to whether any of their feelings were actually hurt by Murry or not?  

Would you then legitimately question and ponder whether or not they felt hurt, and would you then actually entertain the possibility that maybe, perhaps they weren't?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 10:10:30 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2015, 10:15:26 AM »

If Brian never said it there wouldn't be anything to comment on.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2015, 10:24:35 AM »

You're not answering my question. If Brian never said it, would you still feel as though that subject would be something that is worthy of debate? Yay or nay?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 10:34:35 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2015, 10:50:43 AM »

You're not answering my question. If Brian never said it, would you still feel as though that subject would be something that is worthy of debate? Yay or nay?

Nay, I guess. If Brian never said it what is there to debate?

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2015, 11:16:53 AM »

Not quite. Cam was Pinder before Pinder was even a twinkle in his father's eye. He's been throwing bullshit out there for years. Ask Dan Lega. Or Ian W. Or any of those guys.

Pinder. I am your father!  (sshhh-kuuuhhhh) (sshhh-kuuuhhhh)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 11:31:27 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2015, 02:11:56 PM »

So if Brian says 'Mike is one of the main reasons that SMiLE was cancelled', then it must be so, right?

Look, I'm not a Lovester or a Brianasta. I don't take one side or the other, no matter what. This whole deal of 'if he didn't come right out and say it, then he didn't mean it', is silly. People say 'I think' all the time. Marilyn Wilson can say 'I think Brian thought they were assholes', and it can mean the same thing as 'Brian told me they were assholes'. Maybe she didn't want to come out and say that Brian actually said that, call Brian out like that.  Now, maybe she really did mean 'I think', literally; that she didn't know for sure, but she was pretty sure. It isn't that far of a reach to say one or the other. You can't, every single time, say 'well, he didn't SAY exactly this', just to fit whatever it is you want it to fit. If that's the case, Mike is the main reason SMiLE got cancelled, because Brian said so and he said it first in a list of things, so it must be the most important.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2015, 08:10:53 PM »

So if Brian says 'Mike is one of the main reasons that SMiLE was cancelled', then it must be so, right?

Look, I'm not a Lovester or a Brianasta. I don't take one side or the other, no matter what. This whole deal of 'if he didn't come right out and say it, then he didn't mean it', is silly. People say 'I think' all the time. Marilyn Wilson can say 'I think Brian thought they were assholes', and it can mean the same thing as 'Brian told me they were assholes'. Maybe she didn't want to come out and say that Brian actually said that, call Brian out like that.  Now, maybe she really did mean 'I think', literally; that she didn't know for sure, but she was pretty sure. It isn't that far of a reach to say one or the other. You can't, every single time, say 'well, he didn't SAY exactly this', just to fit whatever it is you want it to fit. If that's the case, Mike is the main reason SMiLE got cancelled, because Brian said so and he said it first in a list of things, so it must be the most important.

Great post Mr. Verlander. First name Justin?!?  Grin

Also keep in mind this is how the mind of the poster you're addressing works....

"...by definition the Pop songs with Love's lyrics are the greatest of the Beach Boys catalog and no other single lyricist or all other lyricist of BBs' songs combined even come close to Mike's mark I believe it is accurate to say. If the BBs are one of the greatest Pop groups of all time and their songs are among the best Pop songs of all time and most of their best have lyrics by Mike then it seems to me he is certifiably [not subjectively] one of the greatest Pop lyricists [not to mention vocalists] of all time."

Yes, that quote was seriously written by a thinking person.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2015, 08:24:49 PM »

To Cam, Milli Vanilli's entire catalogue is better than Sunflower or the entire catalogue of Big Star simply because MV was "more popular" with the masses.

And yes, I do remember him  giving a variation on that argument once.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2015, 08:55:02 PM »

Pop is short for Popular right? Popular Music?

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 25, 2015, 09:03:05 PM »

I did say her opinions, her "I think", could be right or wrong or a whole range in between.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2015, 09:16:43 PM »

The gospel of Cam.... Wink

w00t! w00t! w00t! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up High Five High Five

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2015, 09:24:52 PM »

Yeah, the whole think / know distinction being drawn here -- especially when looking at the quote in question -- is ludicrous.

And the notion that Marilyn should show up and explain herself is insulting. It's perfectly clear what she means.

Listen, some folks don't want to acknowledge the truth of these things. But when you have direct sources, people who know these folks, people who have worked with them and lived with them, and they all agree that Mike is a jerk, I listen.

Where are all the people through the years who have said (or even thought) that Mike is an unrecognized, gentle genius?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 25, 2015, 09:36:34 PM »

Where are all the people through the years who have said (or even thought) that Mike is an unrecognized, gentle genius?

well...................    There's Cam

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 25, 2015, 11:17:24 PM »

Is "Macarena" four times better a song then "Kokomo" because it sold four times the copies?

Guess so, right?

So then that means "Who Let the Dogs Out?" is quantifiably a better song than "Getcha Back"?

Do you agree with that?

Lastly, do you agree that Summer In Paradise is by far the worst Beach Boys album since it hasn't sold anywhere close to the numbers of any of their other albums?

Since I don't judge music that way, those kinda calculations don't matter to me. But to a Mike fellator like Cam, I'd assume that all the above statements ring true.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 11:31:29 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 25, 2015, 11:49:38 PM »

But to a Mike fellator like Cam, I'd assume that all the above statements ring true to him.

The music of Mike is seminal.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx