gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:14:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love states touring band in best shape vocally since original group  (Read 28641 times)
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2015, 05:31:39 AM »

Brian's said 10,000 times that his band sounds better than the Beach Boys.   What's wrong with Mike saying the same thing once?

I take it to mean that the Brian Wilson band has been able to more authentically reproduce the studio recordings of the '60s than any other live iteration of The BBs, past or present (C50 obviously excluded). And that's probably because the instrumentation is much closer to The Wrecking Crew, among other factors.

There may have been some interviews (I'm sure some people will point them out to me in a hurry) where Brian has said the vocal blend of his band is fantastic, or possibly (?) Brian may have implied that it is better than the BBs' classic vocal blend, though I doubt he'd really believe that in his heart, even if such was ever (?) implied in an off the cuff moment; it was a very special family blend, and I think every BB member, Brian and Mike included, ultimately knows that.

But it's the additional, extra mile of Brian pointing out how great Brian's own band is, coupled by an additional dig against Mike as a cherry on top, that is something I've never witnessed from Brian. And that's the thing that I'm seeing here from this latest Mike interview which leaves a bad vibration with me.

Mike can always find an unnecessary, ill-timed, and redundant instance to rag on Brian by using the drug use angle (Lifestyles of The Rich and Famous, anyone?), and claim that he has absolutely no intention of boasting himself up in the process, and that he has to keep repeating the drug thing constantly simply 100% out of good intentions - no group politics ever involved, ever ever ever (does a single person here really believe this, by the way?)...but IMO, it has become a way to legitimize cloaking an insult, however subtly. I know Mike and his family have been adversely affected by drug use, but there's an appropriate time and place for certain things.

Mike commendably took the Ice Bucket Challenge... now I wonder if he can take the "in the next 50 interviews, don't mention that Brian took drugs" challenge. Brian's gonna be asked about drugs many times in his own interviews (especially with L&M coming out), and will no doubt mention the regret of drug usage on his own, more than enough times to go around.  

The irony is how sick and tired Brian clearly is of being asked about and talking about his dark drug times in the '70s (because he's asked about it so much), and how much Mike seemingly likes to go out of his way to bring it up, every chance he gets. Strike anyone else as odd or ironic?

I should also add that I strongly suspect Mike's mentions of Brian's deteriorated voice, and the endless finger wagging at drug use decades ago would probably both *significantly* decrease, if not cease in interviews, if Mike got his way and got to write in a room with Brian, and was granted the control and near-equal footing/recognition he obviously desires.

Under those circumstances, I cannot see him harping on and on about these topics remotely as much in interviews, can anyone else? And doesn't that then infer that there is in fact a subtle political aspect to all the endless and contextually inappropriate harping that goes on when Mike is frustrated and feels slighted?

And shouldn't someone apologize to Mike for making him feel that way, you were probably going to say next.

I do not think that Brian sees Mike as the near creative equal that Mike likely sees himself as. I think that Brian genuinely values Mike's songwriting contributions to the band, but I also believe that Brian  outgrew working with Mike as being his primary regular collaborator. I have no doubt they could collaborate to a degree, but I don't know it could ever realistically be enough quantity-wise to Mike's liking. And in 2015, that ship has sailed. I really, truly don't think there is a way that Brian could get artistic fulfillment within the context of The Beach Boys, without Mike feeling slighted. It's unfortunate and sad. It's called creative and personal differences.

Mike wants what he feels he deserves, and it's unfortunate that this is incongruous with reality. But it's even more unfortunate that it's highly probable that bitterness over Mike's 2012 experience is a culpable factor in why we now hear the endless onslaught of slights directed at Brian by Mike, not the least of which reference decades-past drug use that "destroyed" Brian's voice. That's just really messed up to bring up continually.

And Cam, I truly believe in my heart of hearts, that if Mike had ever apologized in a public way to Brian for hurting his feelings regarding SMiLE, that Brian would be more likely to offer an apology to Mike for Mike being hurt for feeling slighted in 2012. There is a continuum of dysfunctionality and improper communication that goes throughout the story, which, I might add, could be traced back even further to Mike's unfair songwriting exclusions. Yes, I can point the finger at Brian sometimes. So you should be able to point the finger at Mike sometimes. There's culpability on both sides, but let's be honest and recognize that it goes both ways, and sadly, there are reasons why no apologies in 1967 = no apologies in 2012. I do not think Brian excluded Mike from the songwriting process in either era out of resentment or anger. I think it was out of artistic and personal necessity. And Mike will never get that, and thus he subtly acts out in interviews like these.

I agree that Mike should have apologised for not having the faith in Brian to offer more support during SMiLE but Mike obviously felt and probably still feels that this direction was a mistake. No doubt the success of Endless Summer made Mike feel vindicated. I believe Mike is wrong but Mike is incapable of seeing it from Brian's perspective IMO.

As for Brian apologising for C50 - why? Mike was being less than sensible if he expected that after what has gone down over the years (above mentioned artistic differences, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, all those barbed comments by Mike about Brian and of course the litigation) Brian was going to want to go back to using Mike as his main collaborator. That is Mike's problem. He always wants to 'do it again'. He always wants to repeat the past. Brian had moved on. They'd been apart as artists for years.

Also, Mike owed Brian and Al an apology re the C50. The way he ended it was obviously intended to hurt. He could easily have discussed his decision with Brian and Al first.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:59:07 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2015, 07:42:35 AM »

<Also, Mike owed Brian and Al an apology re the C50. They way he ended it was obviously intended to hurt. He could easily have discussed his decision with Brian and Al first.>>

I believe the deal for Mike resuming touring with his own band was set in stone during negotiations for the original reunion tour.  I'm not sure why this is still being debated 3 years later.  This was no surprise.  It was a deal everyone agreed to.  In fact, you have to give Mike credit for agreeing to the tour knowing his post reunion tour revenue might be hurt by the fact that the "real" Beach Boys had been on the road.  The "surprise" in all this was that, given the success of the reunion tour, Mike might suddenly change his mind and give up the idea of the M&B show in favor of extended and future reunions.  Personally, I think, had everyone been on the same page, with no public arguments, Mike would have resumed his torus with Bruce, the Beach Boys might have done another studio album with Brian in 2013 and another reunion tour might have happened in late 2013 or 2014.  But revisionist history seems to continue.

Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2015, 08:47:38 AM »

It isn't that it ended, it's the WAY that it ended.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2015, 08:49:45 AM »

Exactly, Mike ditched them with a lame press release and the BBs name showing up at seaworld.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2015, 09:10:54 AM »

Oh I do blame Mike. I blame him for "Wrinkles".

I think you know there was some logic in these posts I've made. But I wouldn't expect that to remotely be admitted to, only sarcasm, joking deflection, or a "we will continue to disagree" avoidance remark, just as one of those responses will undoubtably appear as a response to this. It's as predictable as if Joe Thomas will use Ottotune.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:17:08 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2015, 09:23:38 AM »

Exactly, Mike ditched them with a lame press release and the BBs name showing up at seaworld.

Which press release was issued at the behest of Brian's management to clear up any confusion concerning the post-C50 version of The Beach Boys. Granted, the timing could have been better, as could some of the phrasing, but fact is Mike was doing what he was asked to do.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2015, 09:33:30 AM »

Which press release was issued at the behest of Brian's management to clear up any confusion concerning the post-C50 version of The Beach Boys. Granted, the timing could have been better, as could some of the phrasing, but fact is Mike was doing what he was asked to do.

According to one of the LA Times article/interviews, there was a meeting requested to discuss putting out such a clarification about the different bands in a press release, but before that meeting could take place the press release you're mentioning went public before it had a chance to be reviewed by all parties, which I believe would have been part of the request and agreement on doing such a thing. I believe all that was spelled out in one of the articles, fall 2012 if anyone's interested in digging it up.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2015, 09:48:10 AM »

once again, Mike will say anything in a desperate attempt to make himself look good and disrespect Brian in the process. no one's buying it

news flash, Mike: your voice has sounded like sh!t for well over 20 years and your range has always been (and continues to be) but a fraction of Brian's

such a sad, pathetic human being. truly the one worthy of pity
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2015, 09:49:38 AM »

Exactly, pity and scorn in equal measure.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2015, 10:09:15 AM »

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2015, 10:24:58 AM »

Point of the article - Mike prefers his band of non Beach Boys to any era of the band that had Beach Boys.

What else do we need to know from him at this point. He's disrespectful and lacking in talent. The last time he showed an ounce of creative drive or artistic integrity was in the 70s. And yet he has personally helped kick out nearly every single member of the band at one point or another. It makes no sense. I wouldn't even think of him nowadays if it weren't for the crap he keeps telling journalists.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2015, 10:37:08 AM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/brian-wilson-to-mike-love-it-sort-of-feels-like-we-re-being-fired-20121009

Sounds like things were just assumed without any discussion within BRI.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:07:11 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2015, 10:38:00 AM »

I hope nobody in this thread gets accused of having an agenda.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2015, 12:06:39 PM »

Wtf, when did the Brianistas take over this message board? This was such a lovely place with OSD spilling out his bullshit from time to time, but now so much crap. What happened? Did Brian's board close?

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2015, 12:29:15 PM »

Wtf, when did the Brianistas take over this message board? This was such a lovely place with OSD spilling out his bullshit from time to time, but now so much crap. What happened? Did Brian's board close?

Oh, it's still a lovely place. It's just that fewer and fewer people are buying into myKe luHv's bullshit. They're finally seeing the light more and more with each passing day. The most hated, laughed at man in rock and roll is a hack and an amateur human being. But not to worry, he'll always have you and a few, and I mean a few, people to shine his shoes for him.  Evil

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2015, 12:53:44 PM »

It just ain't cool for Mike to be repeatedly saying that stuff in interviews. Ugh. As if his own sh*t don't stink. Everyone's does! Why does he have to turn it into a competition, where the other "team" has to be put down/diminished. I do not know why he always has to put down Brian in some way.

Team Brian does the same thing over and over and over and over. Collectively, I'd say they do it more than Mike ever has. I don't appreciate when Mike says shit like this, but Team Brian does the same thing and does so more often.

I don't think "Team Brian" simply getting Al, Blondie, and Dave onboard, and kicking some butt, proving they've got some chops

Yeah, I don't see how that's relevant to anything I said in any way. At all. Brian's people have said and done some very spiteful things, generally unprovoked, toward Mike in the last twenty years. Mike's done his fair share of bullshit over the years, but so have Brian's people. Mudslinging only serves to damage Brian's reputation, which doesn't need to be defended anyway considering he's Brian Wilson, thus making the spiteful moves etc. totally unnecessary.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 01:04:33 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2015, 12:55:25 PM »

Agree. There was a good middle ground that this board was on for several years that kind of seemed to disappear rather suddenly at some point within the last six months or so. I love Brian, obviously, but you don't have to love Brian to the exclusion of all others.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
KDS
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2015, 01:08:14 PM »

One of the best parts about the release of No Pier Pressure was that it, temporarily put a stop to the constant Mike Love bashing that tends to go on this and Brian's boards. 

But, the album's a week old, most of us have soaked it in a few times. 

And, here we go again. 

Some folks just love to hate Love. 

When I look back on what happened in 2012, I'd rather think of the one great tour we got, and the way better than expected TWGMTR album.  It was a special year.  But, it's over now. 

Now, in 2015, we have a really good new Brian Wilson album, featuring three other Beach Boys (Dave, Al, and Blondie).  We have a movie in less than two months.  A nice looking concert DVD in Brian and Friends.  And a tour with Brian, Al, and Blondie to look forward to. 

With all that's going right in the Bri-universe, I don't get why so many dwell on the bitterness towards M.E. Love. 

Personally, I'm going to take advantage of this rare opportunity this summer to see Mike, Bruce, Brian, Al, and Blondie in concert.  OK, they won't be on the same stage, or the same state.  But it's two Beach Boys concerts with five members.  Two nights of great songs.  Who knows if a summer like this will ever happen again.   Brian has hinted this could be his last tour, and Mike and Bruce are no spring chickens. 

There's no doubt that Love & Mercy, and well as Brian and Mike's books will drag some dirt back out, but I think it's time to let it go and just enjoy the music. 
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2015, 01:09:58 PM »

This board is a lot of fun and filled with interesting folks with different opinions. Yeah we argue a lot, but so many fascinating tidbits come to light and we get contributions from the actual folks involved. If all this Brian-love during a year with a lot of Brian-stuff going on is too much for you guys, why not migrate to The Vibe Room and bask in the Love? It could use more posters desperately! Or hit up BBB... I hope that wasn't a nationalist slur, but you have on site Bruce Johnston access and no terrible jokes about the Lovester.

The mods do a great job here and I've sprayed beverages all over my monitor due to some of you funny f*ckers. This is a terrific forum compared to hundreds of other noise-filled boreathons around the internet, we should appreciate the hard work that goes into it even if we have drastically different opinions of "Cousin Mike" and "Cousin Brian."

And if you want to enjoy the music and ignore the politics, why not just... er, enjoy the music and skip these threads? You people aren't mods and don't get to dictate how everyone else reacts to this silly soap opera. The tedious shaming and tut-tutting adds nothing...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 01:31:19 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
KDS
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2015, 01:23:33 PM »

Ontor,

Despite my love of The Beatles and The Who, I've always considered myself more of a Rocker than a Mod. 

Grin

If you took what I said as shaming or tut-tutting, I didn't mean for it to come across that way. 

I go on these boards because I enjoy the music so much, and enjoy reading about folks opinions from everything from Surfin' to No Pier Pressure. 

And, look, I know that Mike Love isn't always the easiest guy in the world to like.  But, you have to admit, the bashing of him is getting old. 

Much like Ole Betsy. 
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2015, 01:36:14 PM »

Heh! I figure these guys are public figures and any gibberish is acceptable... but expect pushback from the other side and to be called on it! We just shouldn't attack each other as much probably in defense of our sacred icons. It gets a bit heated and personal and then the mods step in, but even you admit how tough it can be to like Mike sometimes. Mike Love is a guy that is going to be made fun of until people forget the words Mike Love. So here's to keeping his memory alive, each in our own way... Whhheeeeeeeeennnnnnn!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2015, 02:52:49 PM »

Nothing to ditch. Agreed by all parties (late 2011/ early 2012 I guess).
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2015, 03:34:02 PM »

Nothing to ditch. Agreed by all parties (late 2011/ early 2012 I guess).

But minds were gradually changed. Let's not pretend that's a non-existent factor, like Mike does.

But Mike called "no changees" and said "neener neener" and that was the end. Brian (via BRI) then relented and let the baby have his bottle. Mike probably played the opening "na na na na na" from "Problem Child" on repeat for motivation.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:53:51 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2015, 03:40:17 PM »

Meanwhile Mike's somewhere with his fifth hot ass wife, getting paid to hang out with D list celebrities, and also getting paid a little bit every time you buy a ticket to a Brian Wilson concert.  Think about it.   

Who's really winning the argument? 

Le succès à tout prix

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2015, 03:45:16 PM »

Meanwhile Mike's somewhere with his fifth hot ass wife, getting paid to hang out with D list celebrities, and also getting paid a little bit every time you buy a ticket to a Brian Wilson concert.  Think about it.  

Who's really winning the argument?  

Le succès à tout prix

Also getting paid every time you buy a copy of NPP (Deluxe) w/ITBOMM.
He's winning like Sheen.  Except that a truly happy, content person doesn't find it necessary to continually bring up his former bandmate's deteriorated voice in inappropriate contexts. But I'm sure Mike finds enough distractions, like nonstop touring with nobody to share the spotlight with, to make himself feel much better. I'm sure it's good to be Mike, no matter how you slice it.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx