gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:56:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm Feeling Sad  (Read 9310 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2015, 07:22:24 PM »

Okay, so it's been made quite clear to me that I'm an annoying "cheerleader" here.  If you don't like my posts, you don't have to read them - feel free to skip.  I guess I find "cheerleading" preferable to feeling obligated to make snarky comments - or at least finding some piddling bit to bitch about in anything and everything.  All done so I won't be "uncool" here. I post under my real name so that I don't make comments that I wouldn't say to someone's face, in public.  I don't say I like or love things that I don't.  Post however you wish (and lot's of your comments are truly hilarious, so thanks).  

And, everyone's opinions are all fine - like NPP, don't like it - buy it, don't buy it.  Just don't steal it. (Oh good, I annoyed someone there, I'm sure).  Like Rab, CD, and many others not posting, I'm celebrating that Brian is still giving us these gifts while doing what he wants.  That's been made quite clear about this album by everyone involved.  I have always loved hearing Brian when he's doing what he wants.  This song makes me really, really un-sad.  It's great, and relaxing in a wound-tight world.  What a great next few months with NPP as the soundtrack.  Rah, RAH, sis-boom-bah...

I think there should be a place for everybody who wants to voice their point of view on this board. That does nothing but make it better. Cheerleaders are fine and dandy, just as are people who have a more balanced opinion that they want to share. Negative Nellies can be entertaining as well, and add a bit of spice to the proceedings. A board full of nothing but cheerleaders- now THAT would be annoying. So, different strokes for different folks and all that jazz as long as it's all kept civil (which I find it to be most of the time around here).

Good post, Krab! Please understand, there are those who have difficulty with opinions on the negative side, and those who even have a hard time with constructive criticism. And there are those who love to play the martyr (victim) and try to solicit sympathy or try to recruit others to take sides on an issue. And just like they were at Beach Boys concerts in the 80’s, cheerleaders are a novelty at first, then wear thin after awhile.

Hey Mikie, why not just come out and say what you really mean?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2015, 09:38:40 PM »

Okay, so it's been made quite clear to me that I'm an annoying "cheerleader" here.

Hello Debbie. Like Luther, I am wondering if what I posted somehow gave offence, as your post quoted above came shortly after one of mine. I hope not; nothing I wrote was so intended. I suppose it might have been when I said 'The repeated references back grate on *me* somewhat — but I guess not everyone feels the same...' But I meant that as a simple statement of fact, not as a denigration of 'cheerleading' — and clearly, from subsequent posts, it would seem that what I wrote *is* true. Some people, like myself and now I see also Wirestone, are bothered by the clearly deliberate quoting of Brian's past successful musical work in his new stuff, while others are less concerned or let it wash over them. All of these different reactions are fine by me: if we all felt the same way, it would be pretty dull in here and indeed in the world in general.

I would imagine that we've *all* of us here been cheerleaders of Brian Douglas Wilson's work at some point: giving cassette compilations, self-burnt CDs or iTunes playlists to friends or loved ones to spread the word or shine light on obscure parts of his back catalogue that we rate. Hell, I can cheerleader about some tracks until the cows come home, like I did about 'Don't Talk' the other day at the end of this thread (which subsquently tanked and sank without trace after I posted in it, but there you go..., this will happen from time to time...!).

So anyway, no hard feelings intended in your direction — or indeed in anyone's. I'd always far rather keep BW-related discussion here a) going and b) civil than see it descend into personal insults, and my posting history here backs that up.

With that in mind, let's continue. As is so often the case, following my post expressing unease at Brian's 'audible quoting of back catalogue' Wirestone has nailed my reasons for not liking it far more concisely and effectively than I did:

...That second example is more troublesome to me (and others) because it means you have a song like "Summer's Gone," for example, which is gorgeous on its own, and yet is arranged as a callback to "Caroline, No." It can deprive a wonderful song of originality.

[snip]

...But there's no real reason why it [that is, the Sloop John B flute riff in Sail Away that I mentioned — Matt] has to be there, except to refer to an earlier song. And it's annoying, because "Sail Away" is a hook machine, a crazily constructed tune, a real achievement, and yet someone like the Rolling Stone reviewer hears it and instantly dismisses it as a Sloop John B rewrite because of one single, damned riff.

That's *exactly* what bugs me. Brian's recycling of riff ideas to build new songs throughout his creative life, no: 'deliberate and audible throwbacks to past glories', yes. But like the use of pitch-correction or over-sheeny 80s production, it bothers some more than others.

I'm kind of in the middle on the latter points. The production of what I've heard of NPP so far, as I've been open about here, bugs me a bit, and I'm certain I hear warbly pitch artefacts on some spots in the new stuff that riles my ears from time to time (like Robo-Brian on this track on 'take a look at the paper and throw it AWÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ' and to a lesser extent on 'no place to go, but I'm on my WÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ'): but when the songs are as strong as much of what we're hearing of NPP seems to be, I can still get caught up in the music and forget those kind of objections. I mean, a lot of us did and do that with Robo-Al on 'From Here To Back Again', right? Great (then-)new tune from Brian, Al still sounds 25, incredible stuff. BUT — aaargh, the Orto-Choon, my ears are bleeding... Overall, though, the positives outweigh the negatives, and you can find a way to listen to it such that you're not unhappy and just hear the good aspects.

(Not everyone here is the same. A lot of people are rubbed up the wrong way by runnersdialzero, but I totally get where he's coming from on this pitch-tweaking and 80s production stuff on the bits of NPP we've heard, and on TWGMTR. It makes him unhappy and he can't 'unhear' the squeezy, cheesy mustard and the audible equivalent of Joe Thomas's ice-hockey hair all over the tracks (ewww...). I can sort of see and hear past it, as I can with the bits of Imagination I like — but he can't. I respect that opinion too, because there are some bits of Imagination, like Lay Down Burden, which I *can't* do that with — it's an AC, sheeny, 80s nylon-guitarfest too far for me — so I relate to what he means)

But on I'm Feeling Sad, for me the positives definitely outweigh the negatives (slightly ironically given the title). It sounds bloody great; the chord progressions, BVs and even the lyrics are classic Brian (for all that the processing on it bothers me, the line 'no place to go but I'm on my way' is a terrific lyric, as is the couplet 'take a walk to the grocery store; can't remember what I came for'). It's also catchy as all hell. For the sake of that, I can definitely live with a bit of Kiss Me Baby floating in now and again...!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2015, 05:26:16 AM »

An upbeat song about being sad.  Interesting. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2015, 12:40:02 AM »

It's great. The first brand new Brian Wilson production in years that doesn't have butchered vocals. Any other production or arranging issues are inconsequential.
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2015, 02:30:43 AM »

Beyond, peachy ...

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2015, 04:25:53 AM »

A happy song about sadness. And Brian is known for often having done the opposite.

I like it. Despite the fact - or hey! maybe because of it! -  that Brian has sung with other people on the new album, those songs I have heard are quintessential Brian Wilson and anything that is so drenched in Brianessence has my vote!

I'm waiting to hear what it all sounds like in context because the cumulative effect makes a difference too as I learned at the very beginning of my interest in the  Beach Boys' music. I started with the Best of... series - lots of hits and a good sample but so much better when I heard the complete original albums. At worst, some of the tracks were filler but even then possible to see how Brian was developing his musical ideas. At best the album rather than the individual songs was the complete work. The songs from Pet Sounds all stand up in their own right but as an album, so much more powerful.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 04:33:30 AM by Ang Jones » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx