gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680828 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:09:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's 10 favorite Beach Boys and Solo songs  (Read 2002 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2015, 02:38:17 PM »

Fresh today, for Esquire magazine. For years and years, he's said the opening bars of California Girls was his favorite piece, now the song doesn't even get a mention. Love & Mercy is the token solo song, but now it wasn't a mini bottle of wine, but rather a mini bottle of champagne that got him going. Tricky thing, memory:
http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a33878/brian-wilson-10-favorite-songs/
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 02:48:20 PM »

"I remember the 60's better than the 90's!" may be my new favorite Brian quote.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 02:57:28 PM »

And they have "Guess You Had To Be There." Love it! (Except the weird sound on Kacey's vocals, but I'll just have to get over it.)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 03:01:08 PM »

"I remember the 60's better than the 90's!" may be my new favorite Brian quote.

yeah, I dug that as well!  Grin
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 03:05:02 PM »

Fresh today, for Esquire magazine. For years and years, he's said the opening bars of California Girls was his favorite piece, now the song doesn't even get a mention. Love & Mercy is the token solo song, but now it wasn't a mini bottle of wine, but rather a mini bottle of champagne that got him going. Tricky thing, memory:
http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a33878/brian-wilson-10-favorite-songs/

What type of drink do you think champagne is, then?

Please delete my account
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 03:08:50 PM »

What type of drink do you think champagne is, then?

bubbly; I would consider it different from wine
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 04:14:29 PM »

And they have "Guess You Had To Be There." Love it! (Except the weird sound on Kacey's vocals, but I'll just have to get over it.)
see I'm not the only one who hears something "weird" on her voice, which I assumed was auto tune on the other thread ..which it may not be..
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 04:25:28 PM »

I'm not a recording expert, and I've never heard her voice on anything else, that I know of. I do know that there's something artificial I'm hearing...some sort of effect. I can't imagine that if she were to sing live, into a microphone, with no effects on her voice, she would sound like that. If she does, I guess I just don't like her voice. But as I said in the other thread*, I can overlook that because I love the song.

*Whoops-- meant to post this in the song thread.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 04:26:47 PM by Amy B. » Logged
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 04:43:12 PM »

Brian's doing an about face on "Sail On Sailor" again. When he was interviewed for The Warmth Of The Sun podcast (in tandem with the release of that compilation) he said he "never liked that song" and didn't want to get into it. He seems to have a love/hate relationship with it because he's gone back and forth several times now.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 07:46:39 PM »

Brian's doing an about face on "Sail On Sailor" again. When he was interviewed for The Warmth Of The Sun podcast (in tandem with the release of that compilation) he said he "never liked that song" and didn't want to get into it. He seems to have a love/hate relationship with it because he's gone back and forth several times now.

That's just his humor playing with everyone. You think he doesn't know everyone follows every interview?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 07:56:41 PM »

Actually, I don't. I'm not a fan of the "Brian is playing with us" theory. It seems much more likely that in 2003 he wasn't crazy about it, and then after playing it night after night and hearing his band rock it, his opinion changed.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 08:26:13 PM »

I remember him saying that he likes the song but he didn't like how the lyrics were played around with.  We still don't really know what Van Dyke's original lyrics were.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 12:32:16 AM »

""We used Ocean Way studios," Wilson says, referring to the famed Los Angeles studios that used to be called United Recorders, where the Beach Boys recorded many not one of their biggest hits."

Fixed that for Esquire.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 02:24:56 AM »

These lists tend to be kind of boring.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx