gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:43:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Runaway Dancer available for purchase on itunes  (Read 34449 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 19, 2015, 09:27:05 PM »

He will claim it would have had a number one hit like kokomo if only it had his lyrics. Wink

That's the thing. If NPP actually generated a number one hit, I don't know if Mike could take it. Honestly. While I don't see a number one hit happening, who knows. Stranger things have happened...

A number one single is virtually impossible. A number one album is nearly impossible. But a relatively high chart placement on the album charts (Top 50, maybe even Top 20, and in a perfect storm Top 10) for NPP is possible.

The thing is, TWGMTR hit #3 and Mike minimized that in an interview, which showed either an unwillingness to relent that Brian can or should write the bulk of the material without Mike, and/or a gross lack of understanding of how charts are tabulated and how the industry trends are going. It seemed to me to be some of both.

When was the last time the Beach Boys had "sustained" success on any chart (as in, I dunno, staying in the Top 5 or 10 on the singles or albums charts for numerous weeks)? Even "Kokomo" was #1 for like one week or so, right?

In any event, I don't think Mike would have a nervous break down if NPP hit #1. Maybe behind the scenes he would be supremely annoyed or irked. But if that happened and he was asked about it, I would imagine the response would be along the lines of his statement about "The Right Time."

If Brian has a #1 album with NPP, Mike's reaction will be to try and work with Brian in some fashion again Smiley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 19, 2015, 09:30:57 PM »

Hopefully somebody can answer this:

The instrumentation... has Brian got an entirely new band on this new album? 

It sounds to me like he started working with a lot of new musicians, and because of his generally collaborative way of coming up with music in the studio, they've led him in new directions.

Personally, I like the song, but all I've heard is the live version on youtube.

Just from what's been seen and heard so far, he has a combination of some real heavy-hitter session players, and some familiar names and faces from his bands of the past 15 years. For the session players, how about Jim Keltner and Kenny Aronoff (drums), Dean Parks (gtr), and Don Was (bass)? Right there alone that's one hell of a rhythm section, among the best in the business on those instruments in the studio, and I think you may be hearing what players like that could bring to the table in the way of different sounds and feels. Even if strictly reading a part, drummers like Keltner and Aronoff bring a style and sound to the table that's their own. It will come through in the groove.

I love his band, always have, but it seems to me like Brian is really reaching a new part of his life and career, at this late stage, where he can try some new styles and sounds.  When I originally heard he was doing all these collabos I thought it seemed forced and ridiculously desperate for a man of his stature.  I'm glad to see I was wrong about that. 

This song isn't the next Good Vibrations.... but Brian stuck in his rut redoing all his past styles wasn't going to lead us to another masterpiece either... getting in the studio with some competent musicians and going where the feel takes them might, however!

Go Brian! 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 19, 2015, 09:48:19 PM »

Look at the expression on Brian's face at :22 when he starts singing the harmony stuff.  He looks like a kid!  I think he's loving this sh*t.  5000 people in the audience, they're filming it for t.v., he's recording with some hot new band his little girls like. 

It's the same "we were eating sandwiches" look from the Beautiful Dreamer video, you know what I mean.  Like he's been caught doing something he shouldn't be Smiley

chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 20, 2015, 04:43:33 PM »

I honestly find this track super refreshing.

Brian is trying new things with his music just like he tried in the 60's and 70's.

He isn't trying to recapture what he has already done in the past—and for that I give him a ton of credit.

Also, the live performance is pretty awesome and might even be better than the recorded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgQQKnT0hv4
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 21, 2015, 12:09:00 AM »

Put me down squarely among those who are thoroughly wowed by this track.

Wow. Great. Adventurous. Funky. Wow. Just, damn, well done.
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: March 22, 2015, 04:28:58 AM »

Anybody see similarities between Runaway Dancer and Concert Tonight from Sweet Insanity?

When Brian sings There's something in the air tonight.... seems like The music's comin' at you. You know it's worth the wait

I noticed that because There's something in the air tonight sounded very familiar to me.

Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 22, 2015, 07:14:21 AM »

Loving the studio version.  It grooves better.  Not so into the live one.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: March 22, 2015, 11:22:39 AM »

The more I listen to this track, the more I dig it.  I was a bit skeptical of the Google preview but upon listening to the full track I am quite impressed.  I honestly think Sebu probably did a lot of the heavy lifting here with the track's style; probably took Brian's basic track and went to town with it.  The result is a song that doesn't really feel so much like a BW tune, but it still works.  With the right promotion, it could possibly get some attention in the charts.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:27:48 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #183 on: March 22, 2015, 11:28:45 AM »

The more I listen to this track, the more I dig it.  I was a bit skeptical of the Google preview but upon listening I am quite impressed.  I honestly think Sebu probably did a lot of the heavy lifting here with the track's style; probably took Brian's basic track and went to town with it.  The result is a song that doesn't really feel so much like a BW tune, but it still works.  With the right promotion, it could possibly get some attention in the charts.

If you look back on page 6, Ray Lawlor made it pretty clear what Brian did and what Sebu did...

"I am listening to "Talk of the Town", which is the track that Brian submitted to Sebu to work on. The song itself is about a "lady of the evening" to put it politely.  I will try and point out the similarities and differences between the original "Talk of the Town" and the completed "Runaway Dancer".

"The intro is the same, verses are the same, the sax is there  and most of the synths are there; in case you didn't know, Brian loves synths. If you listen to the chorus " hey its been the talk of the town" closely enough , you will realize it is Brian and Blondie singing it. There are two transitions to a part where Brian and Blondie sing " Ran away from home, had to get away , livin' on the street, goin' all the way", which have been replaced by Sebu's  " runnin , Runaway dancer , runnin" part. The intro is repeated as a a break before the last part of the song; it ends with the vocal as is on the finished tune. Sebu added the "Runaway Dancer" part and some synth stuff , but the original track is pretty close to what has been released .

"When Brian drives with his kids, they pick the radio stations in the car, as there is just so much K-Earth 101 teenagers and younger can listen to. Daria Wilson loves Capital Cities so it's pretty easy to connect the dots."
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 22, 2015, 12:09:02 PM »

I love the track on youtube that is live. It is innovative and catchy. I wll be downloading the studio version enthusiastically. I have a 16 and 17 year old, and it is right in the middle of what they listen to on the radio.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 24, 2015, 12:27:54 PM »

This is not really my style of music, but I've belatedly gotten hooked on this (studio version)...a real earworm.  Originally I was put off by the 80s sax in the live version, but the sax is mixed down in the studio version.  Maybe Daria should produce his next album!

Go Brian!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx