gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681502 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 02:14:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Runaway Dancer available for purchase on itunes  (Read 34689 times)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2015, 10:37:49 AM »

Its a lot more interesting than"the right time" - bit of a grower.

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2015, 11:04:10 AM »

Yeah, I grow weary of the growers.  I want something to thrill me at first listen.  I get sick of hearing how much more I'd like something if I understood its context and just let it grow for a while.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2015, 11:07:05 AM »

Yeah, I grow weary of the growers.  I want something to thrill me at first listen.  I get sick of hearing how much more I'd like something if I understood its context and just let it grow for a while.

For me --

Midnight's Another Day
Just Like Me and You
From There and Back Again
dellydel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2015, 11:11:15 AM »

Holy crap, this is pretty amazing.  Just listened to it 10 times in a row.  I'm blown away that at 72 Brian is so willing to try new things, and incredibly, to pull them off so well.  We are a lucky bunch!
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2015, 11:19:09 AM »

Brian's vocals sound pretty good, too. No Robo-Brian to these ears.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2015, 11:23:53 AM »

Love this freaking song...I do wish the sax was less prevalent, but that's more of a personal thing. Catchy as hell song, and as mentioned previously this sounds like a song I'd write. Ace work.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2015, 11:26:43 AM »

Yeah, I grow weary of the growers.  I want something to thrill me at first listen.  I get sick of hearing how much more I'd like something if I understood its context and just let it grow for a while.

To each his own. When I first heard 'In the Back of My Mind' I didn't think it was anything special. It took multiple listens before I realized what a tremendous track it is. I like getting "wow"ed on the first listen too, but sometimes that doesn't happen.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2015, 11:44:53 AM »

To each his own. When I first heard 'In the Back of My Mind' I didn't think it was anything special. It took multiple listens before I realized what a tremendous track it is. I like getting "wow"ed on the first listen too, but sometimes that doesn't happen.

Here's how the process goes for me, personally.  I hear a new song (of any genre, by any artist, and regardless of whether or not I'm aware of context), and one of three things happen:

a) I'm blown away.
b) I'm underwhelmed, but the song grows on me over time (and can even become a favorite).
c) I'm underwhelmed and it doesn't grow on me.  Added context may help me appreciate it more, but greater appreciation does not equal greater enjoyment.

But here's the kicker-- take a break from the track for a while (weeks, months, years even), and revisit.  More often than not, the songs that blow me away at first listen still do.  More often than not, songs that needed to grow on me initially require a second easing into.  Songs that never grew on me initially rarely do with later attempts. 

There are exceptions, but generally they fit the mold.  Lately it seems like I've heard a whole lot of potential growers and very few that I enjoy immensely right out of the chute.  I miss those.  I'm craving those.  So far, the songs released from NPP aren't those.  Interestingly, "Our Special Love" is sort of a hybrid.  The intro and outtros blow me away, but the Backstreet Boys middle has utterly failed to grow on me.  I've actually truncated my version of the track to the intro alone, and that intro goes on every playlist. 
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2015, 12:06:30 PM »

Does it really matter if you like a song the first time you hear it? You only get hear a song for the first time how many times? Yes, once.

What matters is HOW much you like a song. Let's discuss that instead please.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2015, 12:16:40 PM »

Live version didn't impress me. Looks like they missed all the great things from the studio version. It also seemed to be a little bit slowed down? And the audience, god are they dead?
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2015, 12:19:53 PM »

Does it really matter if you like a song the first time you hear it? You only get hear a song for the first time how many times? Yes, once.

What matters is HOW much you like a song. Let's discuss that instead please.

My point is that, for me personally, if I were to list my top 200 favorite songs, I'd say 98% of them were love at first listen.  I realize that this is not necessarily how it works with others, but I do think there's something to this in a general sense.  If the difference between enjoying something and appreciating something is negligible, you probably think I'm being way too nitpicky.  I get it.  There are a lot of Beach Boys songs that I adore, but mostly because of time and added context.  I really appreciate Runaway Dancer.  I don't (yet) enjoy it.  To me there's a difference, and I can't imagine I'm alone on that.
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2015, 12:46:07 PM »

Don't understand why Brian feels the need to compare this album to his '65 era. I'm sure there are a few songs on the LP that sound like they could have easily fit on side two of Today and Summer Days! (Somewhere Quiet most certainly, LOL). But this new album stands out as creative and a bit eccentric -- aren't those two adjectives you'd use to describe Brian?

I'm excited. I loved listening to the song and I think it is well-produced. My father, on the other hand, said, "when are they going to leave that poor man alone?"

It's all Brian, and he's having a hell of a time producing this. He F**king with the system (perhaps it's the system so many Smiley Smilers love), and that usually works for the better.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2015, 12:59:53 PM »

I don't hear anything eccentric in this song. Maybe it's just me. To me it sounds pretty slick overall.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2015, 01:05:51 PM »

Hmm, i'm not really sure what to think yet. I don't know if its the Vienetta advert style of saxophone or what but something is definitely off about this tune for me at the moment. I guess I was hoping for a more memorable hook or something.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 01:18:41 PM by SamMcK » Logged
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2015, 01:06:24 PM »

Yeah, I grow weary of the growers.  I want something to thrill me at first listen.  I get sick of hearing how much more I'd like something if I understood its context and just let it grow for a while.

For me --

Midnight's Another Day
Just Like Me and You
Great that you singled out Just Like Me And You, that's one of Brian's best and most unknown tunes of the last 20 or so years!!
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2015, 01:40:17 PM »

Here's how the process goes for me, personally.  I hear a new song (of any genre, by any artist, and regardless of whether or not I'm aware of context), and one of three things happen:

a) I'm blown away.
b) I'm underwhelmed, but the song grows on me over time (and can even become a favorite).
c) I'm underwhelmed and it doesn't grow on me.  Added context may help me appreciate it more, but greater appreciation does not equal greater enjoyment.

Pretty sure that's the case for everyone.  There are no other options.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2015, 01:48:32 PM »

For me --

Midnight's Another Day
Just Like Me and You
Great that you singled out Just Like Me And You, that's one of Brian's best and most unknown tunes of the last 20 or so years!!

It's a monster track. Probably my favorite from the TLOS sessions, with a hilarious instrumental break to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TEEMqNIlNI
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2015, 02:02:20 PM »

Just Like Me and You sounds a bit like the missing link between Today and Love You. Smiley
Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2015, 02:10:23 PM »

The songwriting on this one feels really natural and as if it was written with some abandon, which is really great. A lot of Brian's songs in his solo career have sounded like they were written very carefully, which is also a great way to write but it is nice to hear something a little looser too. It's hard for me to dislike a song when the songwriting's good.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 02:12:09 PM by Nothgual » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2015, 02:29:51 PM »

Guess since it's on iTunes Brian felt like giving everyone a St Patty's gift : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgQQKnT0hv4&feature=youtu.be

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2015, 03:02:22 PM »

Hmm, i'm not really sure what to think yet. I don't know if its the Vienetta advert style of saxophone or what but something is definitely off about this tune for me at the moment. I guess I was hoping for a more memorable hook or something.

Agreed.  I like the verse Brian sings; that's a good melody, although the hook itself does seem a bit generic.  Overall, the song reminds me of what an updated version of Beach Boys '85 would sound like, today.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2015, 03:49:18 PM »

Listened to this track a few times.....just not doing it for me. I've listened to some of the other tracks for a few seconds each, and there are many more I like better than this one. But still excited to hear the new tunes! IMHO.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2015, 03:50:22 PM »

The songwriting on this one feels really natural and as if it was written with some abandon, which is really great. A lot of Brian's songs in his solo career have sounded like they were written very carefully, which is also a great way to write but it is nice to hear something a little looser too. It's hard for me to dislike a song when the songwriting's good.

Apparently Brian did a lot of writing for the album in the studio, which would explain it. I think this might be the first time he's ever employed that approach.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2015, 04:20:43 PM »

Gave the track a listen. I think the synthetic (by design) sound of the track maybe distracts a bit from a pleasant, though simple, song.

The vocals, especially apart from the Brian-heavy beginning, kind of blend together to the point that Sebu isn't super prevalent. If I hadn't heard he was on the track, I'd almost assume it was a Brian track that he just kind of hands over to his group of band backing vocalists part way through the song.

I like the jazzy chord changes in the transition bits.

This is largely out of step with what Brian does sound-wise normally. But I agree with others, one track like this is as an experiment is compelling enough. If he had cut an entire album like this, I'd say it would be veering more towards pandering to a demographic or style.

I also caught the live version on YouTube, and I think perhaps the song sounds a bit better there. A bit less techno-ish (slightly more real-sounding drums for instance), and the vocal parts are more easily discerned. You can tell now (by both sound and picture) where Sebu is singing.

The live clip was also cool since it's the first real look at the Vegas show from December. Cool to see both Ike and Matt in the back. It sounds like their falsetto-ish bits were fitting prominently into the mix. I'm excited to see more of the show.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2015, 04:36:45 PM »

Might this single actually get.....airplay? I could see Adult Contemporary giving it a chance. It's pretty darn catchy. The little nod to classic Brian at the end is great too.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx