gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680781 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 08:42:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Runaway Dancer available for purchase on itunes  (Read 34440 times)
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2015, 08:24:13 PM »

Just purchased!  Downloading now.  Excited.  Off to listen.  I enjoyed hearing it 3 or 4 times live in Vegas but the studio version is usually where Brian shines.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 09:46:44 PM by Rich Panteluk » Logged
Nothgual
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 08:40:43 PM »

Nice find, Rich!  Runaway Dancer is certainly an intriguing track.
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 08:54:27 PM »

We have heard Brian try a lot of different styles.  Rap, country, mor, blues.  Have we ever heard him this... disco? Nighttime, perhaps?  It makes me smile.  It will probably not be in my top ten favourites on this album, but I like it.   I was hoping for Saturday Night to be the next release.  I can't wait for the whole record to drop.  Go Brian!
RBennett123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 09:04:31 PM »

Wow. Not what I was imagining from the sample. Can't really decide what a song will be like from a sample anyway. This will be stuck in my head all night now
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »

it's not on Rhapsody yet. Please lets have some detailed analysis and scholarly critique. I do not have i-tunes--it crashed my computer. Is it a good song or a bad song? Disco? Here comes the night?
RBennett123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 09:26:56 PM »

It doesn't sound like anything he has done before. Very modern. Sounds like a Capital Cities song, which makes sense because his guest on it is in that band. It's hard to imagine Brian would listen or even like a song that sounds like this. Very catchy, but, to my ears, sounds like he is trying to win over a new audience. Lots of sax, finger snaps, techno dance beat throughout. Only listened once, I'm at work, but only heard Brian on verse verse/chorus, the rast sounds like Sebu. I need to let it digest. My first impression was "NOOOOO", but I'll give it a few more spins tonight.
RBennett123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 09:28:19 PM »

*only hear Brian on FIRST verse/chorus. Sorry, on my phone
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 09:32:42 PM »

This longer clip gives me a more favorable impression of the song than the 30 second clip. It seems to go back and forth from Disco to Reggae. Wierd. Strange choice to make it the first full song on the album. I wish Itunes would post some previews for the rest of the tracks.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 09:33:36 PM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
RBennett123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 09:40:39 PM »

This longer clip gives me a more favorable impression of the song than the 30 second clip. It seems to go back and forth from Disco to Reggae. Wierd. Strange choice to make it the first full song on the album. I wish Itunes would post some previews for the rest of the tracks.

You can purchase the full track on itunes
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 09:46:13 PM »

It's a novel choice for the album's first full song. Unironic sax! The beats!

But I have to say, in terms of inappropriate Brian genre tunes, it comes out way ahead of both Night Time and Smart Girls.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 09:50:58 PM by Wirestone » Logged
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 09:55:13 PM »

It's a novel choice for the album's first full song. Unironic sax! The beats!

But I have to say, in terms of inappropriate Brian genre tunes, it comes out way ahead of both Night Time and Smart Girls.

This could very well up in dance clubs.   Puts previous BB/BW disco attempts to shame, although it isn't really disco.  It's more techno…kinda' cool.
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 10:07:22 PM »

If you pre-order the entire album, you get both released songs immediately on itunes

Make waves, not love
RBennett123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 10:24:02 PM »

Just listened 3 more times on my way home from work. Beautiful west coast eve, windows down. The song totally hit me a different way under this environment. SO CATCHY. I hear a lot more Brian then i did initially. Lots of cool chord changes in the chorus. So good. It's a real grower.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 10:28:31 PM »

Wow... I dig it! 

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 11:08:06 PM »

It's also available for free on Spotify.

I will spin this song MANY times today. I am not that familiar with the CC catalogue so I can not compare RD to it. RD gives me this 80's vibe though, I can easily picture this song in an 80's movie (maybe it's the sax).

Brian's new album is so eclectic, this is just one of the many genres. I hope the CC and BW fans will love it!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:16:12 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 11:32:28 PM »

Check out Capital Cities' biggest hit (so far), "Safe And Sound". It's up to over 177 million hits on YouTube, and since it came out I've thought it was one of the catchiest radio singles of 2013-14, it still gets spun regularly on FM contemp. rock stations. Hearing what Capital Cities does may give more of an idea of the vibe and sounds they do for those listening to Runaway Dancer, kind of putting it into context. I liked Safe And Sound because it had a killer brass hook in the chorus and an obvious throwback 80's synth texture, kind of like Daft Punk's take on late 70's top-40 dance sounds but fast-forwarded to the next decade.

Safe And Sound by Capital Cities, see if hearing this puts the sounds on Runaway Dancer into a different context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47dtFZ8CFo8

One thing I'll say about RD is it's cool to hear the McCartney synth sound from "Wonderful Christmastime" put into a modern groove. I've always had a guilty pleasure for that offbeat analog synth of Macca's... Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 11:37:58 PM »

... But I have to say, in terms of inappropriate Brian genre tunes, it comes out way ahead of both Night Time and Smart Girls.

Rather than classifying Runaway Dancer as an "inappropriate Brian genre tune", I'd say that it's more of an "unusual Brian Wilson genre tune", but regardless it's miles ahead of crap like Night Time and total crap like Smart Girls. 

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 11:57:05 PM »

This is BW hoping for a hit from a different perspective than most of us would have imagined or predicted. If the whole album sounded like this, it might be scary. But for one (or two) tracks, it's fun. I really wonder what the original demo of this sounded like!

Interesting fact from the iTunes metadata: Composed by Brian Wilson, Joe Thomas & Sebu Simonian.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:58:52 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 12:08:48 AM »

This is BW hoping for a hit from a different perspective than most of us would have imagined or predicted. If the whole album sounded like this, it might be scary. But for one (or two) tracks, it's fun. I really wonder what the original demo of this sounded like!

Interesting fact from the iTunes metadata: Composed by Brian Wilson, Joe Thomas & Sebu Simonian.

Yes, it would be great to hear the original demo.  i've gotta agree, it's a cool departure that works very well and is enjoyable to listen to.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 02:59:51 AM »

That section right before the last chorus is incredible! The synth during the chorus is damn catchy too.

The production is amazing - it sounds like a top-40 pop song, yet it also sounds Brian Wilson-y. If the quality of this track is any indication of the rest of the rest of the songs, we are in for a huge album.

Also, just want to point out how good this song sounds compared to the sample stream from Amazon/Google. The difference is like night and day.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 04:15:09 AM »

Ouch  Shrug
"Gentlemen, I think I've just been f***ed"
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 04:26:11 AM »

Ouch  Shrug
"Gentlemen, I think I've just been f***ed"

It's OK, you didn't pay 8 million dollars for it.

Please delete my account
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 04:33:11 AM »

Hehe that's true!
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 05:45:35 AM »

Eh. I find it kind of monotonous.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 05:46:55 AM by JRM » Logged

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 06:27:22 AM »

Confirmed my suspicion upon hearing the Google play preview: definitely my least favorite song on the album.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx