gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:12:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mark Linett Thread  (Read 244480 times)
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 02, 2009, 02:29:38 PM »

Hi Mark - no one else seems to know about this and the thread on the item itself has dropped away so I'll ask you...

Do you know anything about this internet-only release "That Lucky Old Sun - the AOL Sessions"?  Were you involved in that?  It's available for download but neither the Capitol Records site or Brian's site mentions it at all.  Obviously I don't expect you to know the marketing aspects of it, but: Can you provide any insight on what the idea was with doing that, an d who decided to put it out?

The whole thing seems such a curiosity, and the silence about its origins so deafening, that I'm intrigued enough to ask.

By the way, very nice job on the live mix of the NPR broadcast of TLOS from 12/08 - that is still one of my favorite streams.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 02, 2009, 06:39:18 PM »

This download is from the AOL session that Brian filmed last fall which was on the AOL website as a stream at that time (I assume its gone now) I did the mix and recall it was a really nice performance that we filmed  at the AOL studios in LA.

Hope that helps..... and thanks for the nice comment about the NPR show of TLOS. I think that show was particularly outstanding.

Mark
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 03, 2009, 06:53:21 AM »

Thanks Mark for the quick reply.  That does answer my question.  For whatever reason I did not know about the filming and posting of the AOL session at the time, so now the existence of the download  makes sense.   

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 11, 2009, 05:52:21 PM »

Aloha Mark - I asked this on the ""Sound of Free" vs. "Lady (Fallin in Love)"  thread.

Did you mix the new version of  "Lady (Fallin in Love)" ?

Was "Sound of Free" on the same reel(s)? Did that get a new mix as well?  And if so, for what?

Were there other songs on these multi-track tapes?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 11, 2009, 06:00:36 PM »

"Fallin In Love" was newly mixed for the "Summer Love Songs" CD. I don't believe any other songs were on the same reel..... Mark
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 11, 2009, 07:04:53 PM »

Hey Mark, gotta question.

It has been said (by someone whom we both know but I won't bring it up here) that the original master for Pet Sounds (the one used for the original CD and that you were able to recover a safety digital copy of in 2006 for the 40th boxset) was, even back in 1987 - 1990 pretty ratty and not really useable as there were drop out and oxide peel, etc. Is that really true. Because the version you put together in 1990 (aside from the NO-NOISE that you and us really don't like) sounds pretty good to me. I know that the copy of the LP master from New York was used for WIBN, but did you have to use it for other tracks as well. Just wondering.

And as I said in another thread here, it still surprised me that even after you mastered PS in 1987 and the correct version of WIBN was used on a Canadian comp, Capitol over here kept using the rough mix that was on MADE IN USA. Hell, they used it on the promo disk to announce the two-fers.

Bob
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 10:14:47 PM by petsite » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 11, 2009, 11:27:01 PM »

"Fallin In Love" was newly mixed for the "Summer Love Songs" CD. I don't believe any other songs were on the same reel..... Mark

Mahalos Mark!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 25, 2009, 05:27:32 PM »

Hey Mark, if you're around....

Who decides what tracks get remixed for the latest comps? Do the brass send down a list? Or is it based on what tapes you have?

Thanks!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 17, 2009, 07:04:05 PM »

Hi Mark, a quick question if you're able to answer:

Does the piano/vocal demo of Surf's Up exist as a multitrack, and if so is Brian's double tracked vocal on seperate tracks to the piano? 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 07:05:19 PM by Camus » Logged
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 17, 2009, 07:15:52 PM »

Does the piano/vocal demo of Surf's Up exist as a multitrack, and if so is Brian's double tracked vocal on seperate tracks to the piano? 

Yes and yes........ tho I don't recall if the first vocal track was recorded at the same time as the piano (likely)
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 17, 2009, 07:19:17 PM »

Who decides what tracks get remixed for the latest comps? Do the brass send down a list? Or is it based on what tapes you have?

Thanks!

The song selections are usually made first and then if we don't have a stereo mix and one is possible we will usually do it. The new mixes of WDFFIL and Don't Worry Baby were done for Summer Love Songs because we had just found the 3 reels from the Shut Down Vol 2 album this year. Had they been found early last year the mixes would have been done for the singles box........ Hope that helps.....
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 17, 2009, 11:30:47 PM »

Yes and yes........ tho I don't recall if the first vocal track was recorded at the same time as the piano (likely)

Thanks very much for the reply Mark.  Much appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 11:33:45 PM by Camus » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 18, 2009, 04:00:55 AM »

Thanks!

The song selections are usually made first and then if we don't have a stereo mix and one is possible we will usually do it. The new mixes of WDFFIL and Don't Worry Baby were done for Summer Love Songs because we had just found the 3 reels from the Shut Down Vol 2 album this year. Had they been found early last year the mixes would have been done for the singles box........ Hope that helps.....

That does, thank you!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
PhilCohen
« Reply #438 on: September 10, 2009, 09:28:56 AM »

Is there any chance that The Beach Boys could ever start to make use of their substantial collection of concert recordings, perhaps to create a box set of concert recordings? For most 1963-1970 concert recordings, the group would tape an afternoon & evening show with identical or largely overlapping set lists, so that with the unpredictable nature of the group's performances and 1960's recording equipment, that the group would(hopefully) get one acceptable performance  & recording of each song. Some notable concert recordings of that era include Sacramento '63(unbootlegged and without Brian), Sacramento 1964(this time undoctored and with the real live versions of "Fun Fun Fun" & "I Get Around"), Chicago 1965, Michigan State 1966, Hawaii 1967, late 1967 "Wild Honey"-era mono soundboard tapes, Big Sur 1970 and, perhaps Swedish Radio 1964. My idea would be to create an ideal composite concert from each pair of recordings(afternoon/evening). For all we know, there could be other professionally recorded shows that are not yet known to us fans.
PhilCohen
« Reply #439 on: October 19, 2009, 06:15:01 PM »

While I'm at it asking Mark questions, I'd like to know, can any songs from the debut album sessions other than "County Fair", "Summertime Blues", "Cuckoo Clock" & "Heads You Win, Tails I Lose" be mixed for stereo? As you know, we have stereo mixes of those four songs from unofficial "Sea of Tunes" releases.
                                              As for the pre-Capitol "Morgan" recordings(including "Surfin' "), it was claimed(at the time of the DCC "Lost & Found" CD) that the compilers of that CD CHOSE to present the songs in mono sound, and that the "Morgan" recordings COULD be presented in stereo, albeit crude stereo with the vocals on one side and the instruments on the other side.
Scotty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 08, 2010, 05:11:20 AM »

Mark, has all of the Beach Boys' tape library been transferred to digital sources?

Not yet. We are starting to make hi-res digital safety copies of the most important multi-track masters.......

Hey Mark,
Just one question from engineer to engineer. Grin What kind of technique and equipment do you use making hi-res digital safety copies of the analogue tapes? You can go into detail if you like.

Best,
Scotty

yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 08, 2010, 07:41:27 AM »

Mark, has all of the Beach Boys' tape library been transferred to digital sources?

Not yet. We are starting to make hi-res digital safety copies of the most important multi-track masters.......

Hey Mark,
Just one question from engineer to engineer. Grin What kind of technique and equipment do you use making hi-res digital safety copies of the analogue tapes? You can go into detail if you like.

Best,
Scotty

Much of the library has now been backed up to Pro-tools at 88.2 k/ 24 bit through mostly Apogee converters.  Mark
PhilCohen
« Reply #442 on: March 29, 2010, 11:02:16 AM »

Mark,
           Usually every summer Capitol releases a Beach Boys CD compilation, and you usually sneak in a few remixes or rarities for the collectors. Does Capitol have any Beach Boys product planned for this summer, or does the rumored imminent demise of EMI mean that there won't be any Beach Boys CD's this year?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 20, 2010, 03:41:04 PM »

Hi, Mark, I just picked up the new Apples in Stereo album, "Travellers in Time and Space," and was somewhat surprised to see you, Darian Sahanaja, and Probyn Gregory thanked in the credits, despite not being named as having participated in the album in any way. Any idea what that's about?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: April 27, 2010, 11:10:08 PM »

Hi Mark, i am wondering if you can answer a question about tape delays.  are you aware if the group more often used tape delay going back into itself (like a feedback loop or echo) or if it was a shorter "slap back" type effect the guys were after more often?

JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #445 on: May 07, 2010, 01:55:31 PM »

Hi Mark,

You are credited as recording and mixing engineer on "In My Car" from the Still Cruisin' album (one of my BB guilty pleasures). I'm curious to know what that session was like if you have any memories of it. Was Landy actually producing the sessions or was Brian calling the shots while Landy just happened to be in the room? I find this song to be a great BW tune in musical terms. Lyrically, one could classify it as another throwaway car song but it has its moments for sure.

Also, according to the liners, Brian and you mixed it together. Did he actually have his hands on faders or did he just tell you what he wanted to hear and let you fiddle with it?

Thanks.

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
David Beach
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 14, 2010, 01:05:56 PM »

Hi Mark

When you remaster Beach Boys material do you use digital mastering tools. If so what software do you use?
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 12, 2010, 10:44:43 PM »

Hi Mark
Are you working now on some BBs 50th anniversary project?
Don't need to tell what project, simply if you're working on it yes or no.
Thanks
PhilCohen
« Reply #448 on: December 23, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »

Obviously, if Mark Linett Is working on any further Beach Boys product, he's prohibited from talking about it, but let's put it this way: if we see no Beach Boys archival projects in 2011(50th Anniversary of "Surfin' ", the group's first single) or 2012(50th Anniversary of the group's first Capitol album), then it's safe to say that there won't be any further Beach Boys archival product. At that point, when Mark's gig with The Beach Boys will have(apparently) ended, then he'll have nothing to lose by telling us who made the "no more archival product" decision. Rhino compiler Andrew Sandoval was under a similar "gag order", while Rhino "suits" agonised for a few years over whether to resume Monkees archival activity(though ultimately, Monkees archival activity DID resume, albeit through pricey mail-order box sets)
                               Beach Boys unreleased vault tapes DO have a certain amount of commercial/monetary value, albeit less as each year goes by. While middle-aged 1960's & 1970's Beach Boys fans are still living and breathing on this planet and buying music on Compact Discs, then Brother & Capitol might as well make some money off those tapes. Or maybe Brian Wilson & Mike Love's live performing careers bring them so much money that they don't really need the additional artist royalties & publishing royalties that they would receive from these archival CD's.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 11, 2011, 06:44:56 AM »

Go on Mark, throw us a bone!

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx