gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 07:34:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Crosby on Mike Love  (Read 29531 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2015, 10:24:28 AM »

Jim Morrison, when reached for comment, replied: "I died just so I would never have to work with David Crosby".

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2015, 10:54:36 AM »

Quite. !!!   
You made me laugh out loud....for which many thanks.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2015, 11:04:59 AM »

Thanks for those links.  Loved this:  Brian' s genius in 3 words by Crosby -  "Innocent, brilliant, inspiring."  I can't imagine topping that...anybody here?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2015, 11:18:37 AM »

Thanks for those links.  Loved this:  Brian' s genius in 3 words by Crosby -  "Innocent, brilliant, inspiring."  I can't imagine topping that...anybody here?
No, and he is absolutely right on the money.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2015, 11:35:55 AM »

Which just goes to prove the following:

1 - sometimes the born-agains can be the worst kind...

2 - Roger McGuinn is an idiot.

1. And sometimes we're not. For instance, Chris Hillman or me. So one really shouldn't single out a particular belief here;
2. This is likely true.

Thanks for having the huevos to stand up for your beliefs, southbay.  I bet if I tried really hard, I could come up with at least a couple of "worst kinds" among the not born-againers.  But I think I'm sufficiently open-minded to not paint every nonbeliever with that broad brush.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2015, 11:49:04 AM »

Thanks for those links.  Loved this:  Brian' s genius in 3 words by Crosby -  "Innocent, brilliant, inspiring."  I can't imagine topping that...anybody here?
No, and he is absolutely right on the money.

Agreed.  Mr. Crosby is flippin' brilliant, and succinct.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:54:27 AM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2015, 02:26:47 PM »

Which just goes to prove the following:

1 - sometimes the born-agains can be the worst kind...

2 - Roger McGuinn is an idiot.

1. And sometimes we're not. For instance, Chris Hillman or me. So one really shouldn't single out a particular belief here;
2. This is likely true.

Thanks for having the huevos to stand up for your beliefs, southbay.  I bet if I tried really hard, I could come up with at least a couple of "worst kinds" among the not born-againers.  But I think I'm sufficiently open-minded to not paint every nonbeliever with that broad brush.

Thanks.  Sometimes every kind can be the worst kind. I just thought we all knew that.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2015, 02:29:15 PM »

I'm rather partial to If Only I Could Remember My Name.

I'm rather more than partial - truly amazing piece of work, and one of the very few that manages to be both resolutely of its time and timeless.

Absolutely. A life-changing album, if ever there was one. 

Count me in as another big fan of this album. Song with No Words blew me away the first time I heard it.
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 06, 2015, 03:02:26 PM »

I just listened to this album (If Only I Could Remember My Name) earlier today - it was wonderful as pure music to have playing in the background.  It struck me not so much as an album of "songs", but more an overall vibe from start to finish.  Not quite sure how to express what I mean, but I was happily surprised by this, not something I'd ever heard before.  Are any of his other solo albums like this? 
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 06, 2015, 05:59:28 PM »

nope. but look around for the PERRO sessions/outtakes.

Also, you might like parts of Paul Kantner/Jefferson Starship's 'Blows Against the Empire', made with much the same cast of characters.
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2015, 06:28:41 PM »

nope. but look around for the PERRO sessions/outtakes.

Also, you might like parts of Paul Kantner/Jefferson Starship's 'Blows Against the Empire', made with much the same cast of characters.

Thanks for the heads up.    Listening to the Perro sessions right now - like it very much. 
"Blows Against The Empire" is one of those albums I have heard people recommend all my life but have yet to actually give it a listen.  I'll cue that up next.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2015, 01:44:31 PM »

I just listened to this album (If Only I Could Remember My Name) earlier today - it was wonderful as pure music to have playing in the background.  It struck me not so much as an album of "songs", but more an overall vibe from start to finish.  Not quite sure how to express what I mean, but I was happily surprised by this, not something I'd ever heard before.  Are any of his other solo albums like this? 
Listen to 'Critical Mass/To the Last Whale' from Wind on the Water. Beautiful. The first part is Crosby, the second is Nash and it is wonderous.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2015, 02:01:11 PM »

I just listened to this album (If Only I Could Remember My Name) earlier today - it was wonderful as pure music to have playing in the background.  It struck me not so much as an album of "songs", but more an overall vibe from start to finish.  Not quite sure how to express what I mean, but I was happily surprised by this, not something I'd ever heard before.  Are any of his other solo albums like this?  

There's a 3CD Croz box set - originally called Voyage, then they dicked around with it a bit and now I gather it's called The David Crosby Box - that gives you an excellent introduction to him: the third disc is entirely composed of rarities. His latest album, Croz, released just over a year ago, is something you'd probably like. Check out his work with Nash too - Spotify is your friend.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 02:04:15 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2015, 02:02:14 PM »

To correct myself, the piece is called To the Last Whale a. Critical Mass b. Wind on the Water.
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2015, 05:24:07 PM »

Thanks for the tips Andrew and Outtasight!   I will give these a listen.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx