gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:30:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Crosby on Mike Love  (Read 29540 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2015, 09:23:21 AM »

Maybe Mike should tweet Crosby and ask why Roger McGuinn isn't exactly breaking down his door trying to get a Byrds reunion going with him?

He should ask him. Has Mike ever taken the bait and started publicly bickering with anyone other than one (or more) of the BBs themselves? It's high time he spread the wealth and start some back-and-forth feuds with other non BB musicians.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2015, 09:27:40 AM »

Well there was that R&RHOF speech thing.....

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2015, 09:38:13 AM »

Well, yeah. That was where Mike randomly started insulting people, unprompted (in that nobody sh*t-talked him to cause him to go off on his rant).

But I was talking about where a celebrity publicly insulted Mike, and then Mike took the bait and publicly defended himself and then threw an insult back. I don't think that's happened yet, though I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 09:41:39 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2015, 09:39:24 AM »

At this point Mike could say the sky is green and red and someone one would try to rationalize it that he was correct or it was the sky's fault for being blue. Not much better or different in regards to Brian either but that always existed. The rationalization of everything Mike is still so baffling to me.

What alternate universe are you living in where there are hoards of people rushing to defend Mike Love?  

For evidence, let me show you... oh... post 1 in this thread.  Not only are people not trying to excuse things he's done, we're living in a time where people are asking random strangers who don't know Mike what they think of Mike., and then the random stranger makes a negative comment about Mike (who he says he doesn't know)....

After all that happens, another random stranger who's never met Mike goes on a message board and makes a thread about it, echoing the negative comments the other random stranger made about Mike.

After *THAT* happens, You, (another random stranger who's never met Mike) start complaining that too many people are being nice to Mike.  

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2015, 09:57:02 AM »

I've been in Mikes company [up close and personal] 4 times that I can recall.  Other times we were in close proximity but did not actaully come face to face in order to speak with one another backstage/side stage.  Never once was he rude.  Once he was too busy to say hello.  Not a problem.  Twice he was pleasant enough.  Once he was quite warm and friendly.

THAT is WAY different than spending REAL time with him.  As such to suggest I know Mike would be bullshit.  But one on one...I have no problem with him personally.  I DO expect an invitation to dinner when I see him next though...or we're DONE. Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2015, 10:00:21 AM »

Well, yeah. That was where Mike randomly started insulting people, unprompted (in that nobody sh*t-talked him to cause him to go off on his rant).

How times have changed eh?  LOL
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2015, 10:07:52 AM »

I sourced that Bellagio 10452 page yesterday, checking to see if you had Brian credited for both tracks on Ryuichi Sakamoto's Beauty album.  You did.  Some people say they can't pick out his vocals on "We Love You" - I think he's buried deep in the vocal mix, but there.  It was an interesting project for him to be doing in 1989.

He's a lot more obvious on the original mix. Personally, speaking, I don't hear him on either "Chockabec" or the John/Russell song. At. All.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2015, 12:21:37 PM »

Hey, at least Crosby must have talked once or twice to Mike, even if decades ago. It's way better than sitting behind a computer speeling hatred against someone you never met on a daily basis.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2015, 12:55:59 PM »

I dunno.  Deja Vu is a pretty fine collection of great material...and performances.

Beg to differ... pretty patchy collection of essentially solo tracks.

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2015, 12:59:32 PM »

I'd suggest then that you and I not trade ears. LOL 

Left you a question in this thread back a page or two Andrew...regarding the AGD list of songs that Beach Boys contributed to.  Thanks.

One more...Grayham?

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2015, 01:14:59 PM »

Oh snap, add some laid down the challenge! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2015, 01:16:30 PM »

Question Andrew???  Your extensive and most assuredly impressive list makes no mention of Bruce Johnston and his various contributuions to this that and the next thing...including SOME songs which you've listed.  Any reason why Bruce isn't included?  Just askin'. Cool Guy

Sure - too bloody many. But... maybe I should. He's included in the Guesting section when he was in the band (1965-72, 1978-date).

Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2015, 01:42:10 PM »

I really don't care to join in the Mike debate but both Crosby and Love have a big hand in some of, in my opinion, the greatest albums made to date. Pet Sounds, Today, Friends, (insert your favourite BB's album), Younger than Yesterday, Notorious Byrd Brothers, Crosby Stills Nash, Deja Vu, Wind on the Water. Both are beyond having their musical legacy questioned. Crosby is still producing the goods, his latest is a fine album.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2015, 01:53:37 PM »

I'm rather partial to If Only I Could Remember My Name.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2015, 02:07:01 PM »

I'm with you. Boy he can stack those vocals.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2015, 02:19:51 PM »

CSN(Y) do nothing for me, but strangely, I think Crosby's first solo album is ace and I love the Crosby/Nash stuff and Still's solo albums/Manassas.

Byrds, with and without Crosby are the shiznit!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2015, 05:27:14 PM »

I recall the Byrds as a whole didn't care for Terry.  the animosity may go WAY back.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2015, 05:54:54 PM »

I recall the Byrds as a whole didn't care for Terry.  the animosity may go WAY back.

yeah but they (or McGuinn and 3 others who had never worked with Melcher before) rehired him in as a producer in 1969 and the sales went way up.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:56:50 PM by Dancing Bear » Logged

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2015, 07:14:38 PM »

I recall the Byrds as a whole didn't care for Terry.  the animosity may go WAY back.
Their very first album...after PreFlyte...set the course...The 2nd album cemented it.  They didn't "care for" Terry?  They're idiots.  Terry made the Rip Chords.  Terry MADE Paul Revere and the Raiders.  Terry MADE the Byrds.

[and then there's Kokomo and the Beach Boys.  Well...3 outta 4 ain't bad.]

NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2015, 08:21:53 PM »

Croz has composed better music than Mike can ever dream of doing on his own. Anyone listen to Croz's new album? That's some great stuff. If he holds this opinion about Mike Love, at least we know he pays attention.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »

Croz has composed better music than Mike can ever dream of doing on his own. Anyone listen to Croz's new album? That's some great stuff. If he holds this opinion about Mike Love, at least we know he pays attention.

You're not allowed to have a contrarian view of Mike Love unless you've been intimate with him. Sorry, thems the rules.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2015, 10:05:53 PM »

Maybe Mike should tweet Crosby and ask why Roger McGuinn isn't exactly breaking down his door trying to get a Byrds reunion going with him?

He should ask him. Has Mike ever taken the bait and started publicly bickering with anyone other than one (or more) of the BBs themselves? It's high time he spread the wealth and start some back-and-forth feuds with other non BB musicians.

Yeah, maybe they can beat each other with their canes.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2015, 10:30:52 PM »

McGuinn addresses this on his website, he says "a reunion of the 3 surviving original Byrds won't happen because of of the guys is not a Christian". McGuinn quotes that Bible verse about "not being unequally yoked together with unbelievers." Yet Chris Hillman, also a devout Christian, says he would love to reunite with the guys one more time. Whatever. Roll Eyes
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2015, 10:52:28 PM »

Which just goes to prove the following:

1 - sometimes the born-agains can be the worst kind...

2 - Roger McGuinn is an idiot.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2015, 10:54:47 PM »

I'm rather more than partial - truly amazing piece of work, and one of the very few that manages to be both resoultey of its time and timeless. In my album Top 10, no question.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx