gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:00:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Crosby on Mike Love  (Read 29534 times)
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2015, 11:26:00 PM »

Which just goes to prove the following:

1 - sometimes the born-agains can be the worst kind...

2 - Roger McGuinn is an idiot.

AInt that the truth. Just look at Kirk and Candace Cameron.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2015, 06:47:12 AM »

AGD,

I love hearing about others fave music besides BB/BW.  Your recommendation of If Only I Could Remember My Name has made me curious.  What is your all time top 10 best albums list?  I'd realy love it if you would take the time and post it here.  I think I should do the same, but I am slow so it might take a bit.  If I recall correctly you are also a big fan of Jim Steinman's work too, right?

Thanks in advance! 

To my shame and embarrassment I have never heard any solo Crosby outside his work with the Byrds (I'm a big fan) and CSNY (not a big fan) as his writing for those projects never excited me the way others writing did (Dylan,Clark, Mcguinn etc). 
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2015, 06:50:02 AM »

Maybe Mike should tweet Crosby and ask why Roger McGuinn isn't exactly breaking down his door trying to get a Byrds reunion going with him?
McGuinn addresses this on his website, he says "a reunion of the 3 surviving original Byrds won't happen because of of the guys is not a Christian".

That doesn't sound very...Christian.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2015, 08:10:30 AM »

1. And sometimes we're not. For instance, Chris Hillman or me. So one really shouldn't single out a particular belief here;
2. This is likely true.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2015, 08:17:20 AM »

If he could only remember his name

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2015, 08:35:00 AM »

I'd recommend "If I Could Only Remember My Name" to anyone, it's one of the better lesser-known albums of the era (by lesser known I mean it doesn't get much airplay and has kind of a cult following among listeners). There are some terrific vocal harmonies and some great studio stories (available online) about how the album came together.

I'd *really* recommend taking a listen to this link I'm posting. Crosby appeared on the syndicated show "World Cafe" last year to talk and play music, and discuss his newest album which he made with his son. David and his band were in the studio and performed "Long Time Gone", and I'm not exaggerating to say it blew a lot of minds. I first heard it in the car and at that time I thought Crosby sounded terrific, as did his band. The station seemed to feel the same way, as a lot of the hosts were talking about and replaying that performance for months afterward, and they included it on the "best of" compilation from that year, which they send to subscribers.

Here is the link, interview and 3 songs including "Long Time Gone". Definitely check it out, it actually surprised the hell out of me how good he/they sounded.

http://www.xpn.org/world-cafe/guests/item/3737-david-crosby

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2015, 11:10:40 AM »

This whole discussion surprises me.   Mike  Love and David Crosby  have never struck me as opinionated or  driven by ego. Two of the most selfless guys in the business.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2015, 01:42:36 PM »

1. And sometimes we're not. For instance, Chris Hillman or me. So one really shouldn't single out a particular belief here;
2. This is likely true.
I call myself a Christian, and I've heard the 'unequally yoked' argument many times, but I find it strange that McGuinn uses that as a reason to not reunite with Crosby. He often shares the stage with performers who presumably don't share his beliefs - John Sebastian, Arlo Guthrie, Richie Havens (RIP). Maybe it's just code language for saying "I don't like the guy". And everyone I have talked to that has met Roger says he's a great guy...but we all have our quirks.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2015, 02:12:52 PM »

Isn't the horse on the cover of Notorious Byrd Brothers alongside the remaining band members something of a dig at Crosby?
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2015, 02:56:09 PM »

2. This is likely true.
I call myself a Christian, and I've heard the 'unequally yoked' argument many times, but I find it strange that McGuinn uses that as a reason to not reunite with Crosby. He often shares the stage with performers who presumably don't share his beliefs - John Sebastian, Arlo Guthrie, Richie Havens (RIP). Maybe it's just code language for saying "I don't like the guy". And everyone I have talked to that has met Roger says he's a great guy...but we all have our quirks.

Yeah, this is one of those scriptures that becomes a point of legalism when taken out of context. Paul was talking to the church in Corinth that was having a hard time separating from their former pagan practices. He was telling them that they cannot practice both Christianity and Paganism, since they are mutually exclusive, spiritually. He was not suggesting that they cannot associate with non-Christians.

Having said that, I have no idea why that's an issue for McGuinn.
FFS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2015, 04:54:18 PM »

Reading some of Crosby's other tweets, it looks like he calls it as he sees it-- meaning, that if he believes something to be true, he will just say it without sugar-coating. He also said he loves Joni Mitchell's music but called her "crazy." He said Kanye has no talent and that Phish doesn't "groove." (I think that was the word he used.)  So...he has his opinions. I wonder if there was a particular incident that he experienced caused him to form his opinion of Mike, or if he's just going by stories of Mike that we've all heard. Saying Mike is not a good person is stronger than just saying, "He's not very likable." 
Crosby ain't no saint, or hero of mine but I must confess he's composed some of the most awe inspiring and beautiful music I've ever heard. I feel he is uncompromising and driven in the same way ML is, and I respect he was giving an off the cuff answer to an off the cuff question. Being around the LA scene so long, I respect he's had plenty of opportunities to formulate an opinion of ML, and I agree that Phish have no groove (eg compare their version of Talikng Heads' Crosseyed And Painless...)

Perfect,  just one more.....
DJ M
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2015, 05:57:00 PM »

I'm rather partial to If Only I Could Remember My Name.

I'm rather more than partial - truly amazing piece of work, and one of the very few that manages to be both resoultey of its time and timeless. In my album Top 10, no question.

A dream of an album.  For my money, the best album that came out of the late '60s early '70s SF scene.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2015, 06:42:45 PM »

It's a pretty good record, even if Robert Christgau saw fit to give it a D+ in his Rock Albums of the Seventies book. Crosby is good at his modular jazz thing, something we can hear in tunes like "Draft Morning", "Tribal Gathering", "Everybody's Been Burned", "Guinnevere", "Deja Vu" and his Name album.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2015, 06:46:43 PM »

these guys are getting to the age where they could title an album "if Only I Could Remember Why I Came Into This Room"
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2015, 10:54:01 PM »

2. This is likely true.

Yeah, this is one of those scriptures that becomes a point of legalism when taken out of context. Paul was talking to the church in Corinth that was having a hard time separating from their former pagan practices. He was telling them that they cannot practice both Christianity and Paganism, since they are mutually exclusive, spiritually. He was not suggesting that they cannot associate with non-Christians.

Having said that, I have no idea why that's an issue for McGuinn.
Well it must be something relatively new to his belief system; he had no qualms about reuniting with Hillman and Clark in the late 70's, or Hillman and Crosby circa 1990.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2015, 10:57:06 PM »

2. This is likely true.

Allow me to repeat, with emphasis added: sometimes the born-agains can be the worst kind...

You're picking me up some something I didn't say. Please don't do that. If I'd intended to say, or even imply "invariably all born-agains are the worst kind..." I'd have said exactly that. As for other beliefs having a similar problem, well, just look at the murderous morons of IS who claim to follow Islam, and are rightly disowned by all decent Muslims (that is, the overwhelming majority).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2015, 12:18:41 AM »

I have some friends who are Christians, and they're perfectly normal people, I can't understand why they cling to a nearly 2000 year old random collection of scrolls written in order to control people. Other than that they're really nice people and don't try to convert you to their belief.

However, I did meet some who tend to have fundamentalist views - I don't associate with them.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2015, 01:59:56 AM »

I have some friends who are Christians, and they're perfectly normal people, I can't understand why they cling to a nearly 2000 year old random collection of scrolls written in order to control people. Other than that they're really nice people and don't try to convert you to their belief.

However, I did meet some who tend to have fundamentalist views - I don't associate with them.

I've met some of each as well. I personally don't care what anyone believes as long as they don't try to enforce them on others, or use them to justify intolerance (gay bashing) or stupidity (6000 year old earth with no evolution, etc.)

And then there's Kirk Cameron...

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2015, 02:47:43 AM »

I personally don't care what anyone believes as long as they don't try to enforce them on others, or use them to justify intolerance (gay bashing) or stupidity (6000 year old earth with no evolution, etc.)

Just so: believe what you want, just don't try to drag me into it, and that includes testifying, doorstepping and stopping me in the street to ask if I've found Jesus. You lost him, not me, ergo your problem.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2015, 04:32:25 AM »

Here is the interview with McGuinn where those comments are taken from.

http://www.ibiblio.org/jimmy/mcguinn/DeepQuestions.html

To be fair to McGuinn, he used that "unequally yoked" thing as a reason for quitting Hillman/Clark (or just Hillman by that point) in the late 70s. He goes on to say that even if all surviving members of the Byrds were Christians he still wouldn't do the reunion because he's happy where he is.

he has said before he likes the folkie troubadour lifestyle, him and his wife in their touring van.

It's good to see musicians who don't put money first if their heart isn't in it.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2015, 06:29:49 AM »

I'm rather more than partial - truly amazing piece of work, and one of the very few that manages to be both resolutely of its time and timeless.

Absolutely. A life-changing album, if ever there was one. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2015, 06:43:55 AM »

Here is the interview with McGuinn where those comments are taken from.

http://www.ibiblio.org/jimmy/mcguinn/DeepQuestions.html

To be fair to McGuinn, he used that "unequally yoked" thing as a reason for quitting Hillman/Clark (or just Hillman by that point) in the late 70s. He goes on to say that even if all surviving members of the Byrds were Christians he still wouldn't do the reunion because he's happy where he is.

he has said before he likes the folkie troubadour lifestyle, him and his wife in their touring van.

It's good to see musicians who don't put money first if their heart isn't in it.

Yeah the Christian thing is bull, it didn't stop him from reuniting with Crosby and Hillman in the early 90s, did it? Fact is I've read several times he doesn't care for Crosby that much. Also he hasn't had any interest to be a rock star for many years now, he's happy being a low key folkie.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2015, 08:16:16 AM »

2. This is likely true.

Allow me to repeat, with emphasis added: sometimes the born-agains can be the worst kind...

You're picking me up some something I didn't say. Please don't do that. If I'd intended to say, or even imply "invariably all born-agains are the worst kind..." I'd have said exactly that. As for other beliefs having a similar problem, well, just look at the murderous morons of IS who claim to follow Islam, and are rightly disowned by all decent Muslims (that is, the overwhelming majority).

I don't believe I called you out, I simply responded by saying "and sometimes we're not", which you appear to agree with

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 06, 2015, 09:47:30 AM »

2. This is likely true.

I don't believe I called you out, I simply responded by saying "and sometimes we're not", which you appear to agree with

The use of the word "sometimes" implies that there's many, many exceptions. It was a correction that didn't need to be made, and this being text where tone and body language are filtered out, it's understandable why someone would then respond a tad defensively.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 06, 2015, 10:14:50 AM »

Crosby's Mike-related (and other) tweets are making the rounds at the hipster websites...

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2015/03/david_crosby_ca.html

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/03/david-crosby-phish-kanye-mike-love/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx