gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 09:39:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: David Crosby on Mike Love  (Read 29583 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 06:17:49 PM »

Mike was totally sober when causing trouble and ripping off the BBs legacy. His only drug is his ego.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up  And his crutch is TM which he hides behind to justify his wacko behavior traits which additional face painting won't have an effect on.

and YOU talk about having a crutch!!!!!!  Evil
WTF??? myKe luHv is a bleeding hypocrite who's "religious doctrine" preaches peace, luHv and understanding. Even a Kohkohdope could see that the pointster can't conveniently hide behind a religion to justify his ego. Roll Eyes

Hmmmm, well all we really know about you OSD is that you get off on dissing Mike Love each and every day ..... I wonder if you've lived a completely rosy and blemish free existence

From Wikipedia:

Charity[edit]
Mike Love has been a longtime supporter of environmental causes and was among speakers at the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro in 1992 and Earth Day 2000 on the Mall in Washington, DC. Love was instrumental in forming StarServe ("Students Taking Action and Responsibility to Serve") which enlisted high profile celebrities to inspire America's youth to help serve their communities. He also created the Love Foundation, which supports national environmental and educational initiatives. Love personally donated $100,000 to the American Red Cross to benefit the victims of Hurricane Katrina and helped the foundation raise an additional $250,000. He has served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Lake Tahoe School in Incline Village, Nevada, and was responsible for raising over $1 million to benefit the school. In 2010, Mike Love contributed to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation's More Hope For The Holidays album with vocals on "Closing of the Year" as well as contributing his self-penned "Santa's Goin' To Kokomo". On the album he appears alongside Weezer, Brandi Carlile, and Creedence Clearwater Revisited. Proceeds benefit the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.[17] He performed a benefit concert for the foundation for the Children of the Californias which raised one million dollars to support the expansion of three new surgical suites. During the 50th Reunion Tour Love alongside the Beach Boys partnered with Operation Smile to raise funds for those in need of cleft lip and palate repair surgeries. In May 2013, Love was recognised for his decades of investment in education and national service by being awarded City Year's "Seven Generations Award".[18]

My God! What an SOB
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 06:19:59 PM by Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 06:45:48 PM »

Mike was totally sober when causing trouble and ripping off the BBs legacy. His only drug is his ego.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up  And his crutch is TM which he hides behind to justify his wacko behavior traits which additional face painting won't have an effect on.

WTF??? myKe luHv is a bleeding hypocrite who's "religious doctrine" preaches peace, luHv and understanding. Even a Kohkohdope could see that the pointster can't conveniently hide behind a religion to justify his ego. Roll Eyes

Hmmmm, well all we really know about you OSD is that you get off on dissing Mike Love each and every day ..... I wonder if you've lived a completely rosy and blemish free existence

From Wikipedia:

Charity[edit]
Mike Love has been a longtime supporter of environmental causes and was among speakers at the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro in 1992 and Earth Day 2000 on the Mall in Washington, DC. Love was instrumental in forming StarServe ("Students Taking Action and Responsibility to Serve") which enlisted high profile celebrities to inspire America's youth to help serve their communities. He also created the Love Foundation, which supports national environmental and educational initiatives. Love personally donated $100,000 to the American Red Cross to benefit the victims of Hurricane Katrina and helped the foundation raise an additional $250,000. He has served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Lake Tahoe School in Incline Village, Nevada, and was responsible for raising over $1 million to benefit the school. In 2010, Mike Love contributed to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation's More Hope For The Holidays album with vocals on "Closing of the Year" as well as contributing his self-penned "Santa's Goin' To Kokomo". On the album he appears alongside Weezer, Brandi Carlile, and Creedence Clearwater Revisited. Proceeds benefit the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.[17] He performed a benefit concert for the foundation for the Children of the Californias which raised one million dollars to support the expansion of three new surgical suites. During the 50th Reunion Tour Love alongside the Beach Boys partnered with Operation Smile to raise funds for those in need of cleft lip and palate repair surgeries. In May 2013, Love was recognised for his decades of investment in education and national service by being awarded City Year's "Seven Generations Award".[18]

My God! What an SOB
"Santa's Goin' To Kohkohmoe"Huh Really?Huh? Effin A, man!! Angry Self penned, huh? Brilliant stuff. And don't think he didn't write off the 100K. All of this reeks of a guilty conscious in light of the millions the greedster has in the bank-a mere pittance to be sure.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 06:46:36 PM »

Keep ranting Pinder, someday you will convince somebody to be a mikolyte.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 06:54:13 PM »

From Wikipedia:

Charity[edit]

My God! What an SOB
"Santa's Goin' To Kohkohmoe"Huh Really?Huh? Effin A, man!! Angry Self penned, huh? Brilliant stuff. And don't think he didn't write off the 100K. All of this reeks of a guilty conscious in light of the millions the greedster has in the bank-a mere pittance to be sure.

well, what have you contributed to society other than loads of bile spewed at a guy you don't know?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 10:29:08 PM »

I wonder how many musicians (famous, musical contemporaries from the 60s-on) would actually disagree with Crosby's statement. Either privately or publicly. Sadly, I'll bet not many. It's sorta like how you can count Bill Cosby's celebrity defenders on one or two hands, and about 50% of the defenders have something to gain (Cosby Show residuals $$) by defending him.

Mind you, I'm not trying to compare Love to Cosby, just stating that I unfortunately and very sadly don't think there are many big names who would come to Love's defense and refute Crosby's tweets. Wish it wasn't so.

Look at it this way. How many artists have had the luhvster guest on their albums. Kinda speakes for itself. Smokin

http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/guesting.html

Count 'em for yourself.  Cheesy

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 10:59:36 PM »

Crosby means it, Neil is just doing his CSNY drama as usual l.

You mean it. Neil just hasn't picked your favorite hate subject.

Your drug is the hate of Mike. You must be an extremely (self-censoring due to not wanting to get banned) person to have to hate someone so badly that you can feel a good person in comparison.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:40:30 PM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 11:18:32 PM »

I sourced that Bellagio 10452 page yesterday, checking to see if you had Brian credited for both tracks on Ryuichi Sakamoto's Beauty album.  You did.  Some people say they can't pick out his vocals on "We Love You" - I think he's buried deep in the vocal mix, but there.  It was an interesting project for him to be doing in 1989.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2015, 01:24:51 AM »

Don't care if either of them is "not a good person". Mike Love will forever be an ambivalent figure, that's his role in the BB universe. It's easy to dismiss his contributions if you choose to look at stuff like Santa's Goin' to Kokomo or Summer in Paradise and it's just as easy to appreciate and value his work if you choose to look at the early hit songs, Good Vibrations, Wild Honey, Big Sur, or his ability to maintain a somewhat corny yet mostly entertaining stage persona throughout the endless years of touring.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2015, 05:41:08 AM »

I wonder how many musicians (famous, musical contemporaries from the 60s-on) would actually disagree with Crosby's statement. Either privately or publicly. Sadly, I'll bet not many. It's sorta like how you can count Bill Cosby's celebrity defenders on one or two hands, and about 50% of the defenders have something to gain (Cosby Show residuals $$) by defending him.

Mind you, I'm not trying to compare Love to Cosby, just stating that I unfortunately and very sadly don't think there are many big names who would come to Love's defense and refute Crosby's tweets. Wish it wasn't so.

Look at it this way. How many artists have had the luhvster guest on their albums. Kinda speakes for itself. Smokin

Count 'em for yourself.  Cheesy
Looks like the luHvster's stock took a gigantic dump starting roughly two decades ago. Point proven. Your move.  Brow
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:42:03 AM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 06:14:22 AM »

Crosby calling out Love is like poop telling vomit it stinks.  The Cros has had multiple run-ins with the law and even spent a brief stint in prison.  Helluva singer though.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2015, 06:16:52 AM »

At this point Mike could say the sky is green and red and someone one would try to rationalize it that he was correct or it was the sky's fault for being blue. Not much better or different in regards to Brian either but that always existed. The rationalization of everything Mike is still so baffling to me.

It's not even about Mike, but rather the hypocrisy behind MUCH of the criticism he gets.

Yeah.  At this point Mike is who he is, and at this point in his career and this late stage of the game, it's kinda tired and pointless for fans to continue to rag on him.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2015, 06:20:54 AM »

Crosby calling out Love is like poop telling vomit it stinks.  The Cros has had multiple run-ins with the law and even spent a brief stint in prison.  Helluva singer though.

Crosby cops to his misdeeds and indiscretions. And he will admit that he can be an arrogant asshole. Does Mike have that level of self-awareness?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2015, 06:35:19 AM »

Crosby cops to his misdeeds and indiscretions. And he will admit that he can be an arrogant asshole. Does Mike have that level of self-awareness?

Mike's biggest problem is his ego.  He's managed to keep himself together all these years though. 

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2015, 07:52:39 AM »

*yawn*.  I guess I really feel stupid, but I have to ask who DJ M is...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2015, 07:54:10 AM »

Going back to the original post...I remember someone who was directly involved in the TNT Tribute to Brian in 2001....I won't name names, so I'll use a pseudonym...I'll just call him...Chocolate Shake Man...I heard him speak about the event literally a few days after it was recorded, and he shared a lot of backstage stories and stuff about the event.

One thing in particular that shocked the hell out of everybody who heard: Crosby was on time for every rehearsal, and actually was the ONLY one who was punctual!

And second...and he was at first hesitant to tell this story but then thought, ehh, it's okay, it's a funny story...said that during rehearsal when Cros was reciting his spiel, the script called for him to say something about "and his cousin Mike Love" --and he stopped the little spiel and said, "Do I have to say his name? I don't like him!" So the compromise was that the script was changed to say "his cousin Mike."

(An unofficial story I heard from someone else said it was more than just that...what he actually said was "Do I have to say his name? I never liked that @$$hole!....[laughter from the crew]....NOBODY liked him!!")

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2015, 08:00:33 AM »

Well David was the most objectionable character Terry had ever met. As per Van Dyke Parks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiwQF-NB4Ig&sns=em

Lol! The second most objectionable character was Charles Manson!!!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2015, 08:06:12 AM »

Reading some of Crosby's other tweets, it looks like he calls it as he sees it-- meaning, that if he believes something to be true, he will just say it without sugar-coating. He also said he loves Joni Mitchell's music but called her "crazy." He said Kanye has no talent and that Phish doesn't "groove." (I think that was the word he used.)  So...he has his opinions. I wonder if there was a particular incident that he experienced caused him to form his opinion of Mike, or if he's just going by stories of Mike that we've all heard. Saying Mike is not a good person is stronger than just saying, "He's not very likable." 
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2015, 08:13:15 AM »

All you need is Love...and our favorite band has him!
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2015, 08:16:00 AM »

It is to Mike's credit if he supports environmental causes - however, it would be more to the point if he had fewer children. Nothing causes more environmental damage than too many people.
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2015, 08:19:50 AM »

I sourced that Bellagio 10452 page yesterday, checking to see if you had Brian credited for both tracks on Ryuichi Sakamoto's Beauty album.  You did.  Some people say they can't pick out his vocals on "We Love You" - I think he's buried deep in the vocal mix, but there.  It was an interesting project for him to be doing in 1989.

Wasn't his contribution to that track a big, honkin' loud wall of Brians? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=32eOECAT5E0

Starts around 1:56.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:24:08 AM by don't say puss » Logged

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2015, 08:25:55 AM »

Count 'em for yourself.  Cheesy

Not here to pile on.  Doesn't look like the gang needs any more BANG...but I did count 'em...well let me rephrase that... I did LOOK at 'em.  Not many...at least compared to Brian and obviously Carl.  Mostly Mike did, it seems, more for Jan and Dean...and Dean than for anyone else.  And adding something of his own to a compilation disc?  Does that really qualify?  Just wondering.

Question Andrew???  Your extensive and most assuredly impressive list makes no mention of Bruce Johnston and his various contributuions to this that and the next thing...including SOME songs which you've listed.  Any reason why Bruce isn't included?  Just askin'. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2015, 08:52:25 AM »

It is to Mike's credit if he supports environmental causes - however, it would be more to the point if he had fewer children. Nothing causes more environmental damage than too many people.
And how would you like him to achieve that feat? Why even bring that into the mix. His youngest is already in her late teens.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2015, 08:56:28 AM »

Maybe Mike should tweet Crosby and ask why Roger McGuinn isn't exactly breaking down his door trying to get a Byrds reunion going with him?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2015, 09:10:40 AM »

I know this is sacrilegious for many, but I don't really get Crosby, musically. Never have. I'm not saying this in defence of the Lovester who does seem to have been a considerable dick over the years, but he co-wrote some great songs. I don't get the whole CSN stuff at all. Good voices in search of good material.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2015, 09:19:09 AM »

I dunno.  Deja Vu is a pretty fine collection of great material...and performances.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx