gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:35:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Preview No Pier Pressure On Google Play!  (Read 75557 times)
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2015, 09:45:05 PM »

This one is a lovely album, and it is musically and lyrically delightful. I hope Brian is recognized for the hard work he obviously put into this album.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2015, 09:53:06 PM »

Sounds alright. A few samples seem pretty excellent and several others sound like the usual BW duds we've come to expect. I'm not feeling what some posters are are all thrilled about. It was a good move to include Al though. He sounds much better than BW these days. Kind of sad though that it seems like the best way to improve a Brian Wilson album in 2015 is to have less Brian Wilson on it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 09:57:01 PM by krabklaw » Logged

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2015, 10:10:07 PM »

My reaction to hearing those clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5F8mLWjZeA
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2015, 10:16:10 PM »

What I don't get is why they can't sell it now instead of waiting until April. The album is obvious ready for sale.

Make waves, not love
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2015, 10:30:14 PM »

Sounds alright. A few samples seem pretty excellent and several others sound like the usual BW duds we've come to expect. I'm not feeling what some posters are are all thrilled about. It was a good move to include Al though. He sounds much better than BW these days. Kind of sad though that it seems like the best way to improve a Brian Wilson album in 2015 is to have less Brian Wilson on it.

Because Brian has never been the type of guy to let other people sing songs he's written  Huh

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2015, 10:40:25 PM »

Kind of sad though that it seems like the best way to improve a Brian Wilson album in 2015 is to have less Brian Wilson on it.

I don't agree with that. I think the thing about Al is that his voice cuts through in a way that the voices of his peers don't anymore. That's why it's great to have Al on here. Neither Brian nor Mike nor Bruce's voice cuts through like Al's does still. However, used strategically, Brian's voice still really works. On a song like "Summer's Gone" I don't think you could find anyone else in the world that would sound better on it then current day Brian Wilson. And on "From There To Back Again" you have Al and Brian's voices on there, and I couldn't think of anybody else I'd want on that cut. Is Brian's voice different from back in the day? Yes. However, unlike a large chunk of the last few decades, I think Brian's voice is where it should be. He sounds like a 70 year plus version of the guy from "Please Let Me Wonder" and "Caroline No", just like McCartney sounds like the seventy plus version of the guy from "Hey Jude." Really, Al is the only one of these guys who still basically has the "same" voice. Although you could argue that Jagger and Daltrey do too (while some would point out that there is a huge difference even for those guys). And also, part of what makes Al's vocals on the album so welcome is the way that his and Brian's voices work together. If you took either voice away, it wouldn't have that feeling, as you can see on Al's album when he's not using Brian.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2015, 10:40:37 PM »

the right time and what ever happened are the only two songs with Dave, correct? And AL is actually on 5 different songs?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2015, 10:44:20 PM »

the right time and what ever happened are the only two songs with Dave, correct? And AL is actually on 5 different songs?

Yep.

Just to be clear guys , Al has one lead , "The Right Time" , sings the chorus lead on "Tell Me Why", shares leads with Brian and Blondie on "Sail Away' , doubles the chorus lead with Brian on "Somewhere Quiet" and a few lines in "Whatever Happened"....

alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2015, 10:53:37 PM »

"One Kind of Love" - hearing Brian's voice on this song remind me (maybe a little bit) of his 60's voice, especially on the high note that he sings.
An emotional moment for me.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2015, 11:12:12 PM »

Screw this. Somebody should record those snippets. Can't listen to them, God I hate these country restrictions.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2015, 11:20:32 PM »

After listening again, gotta say...both Runaway Dancer and Saturday Night sound like radio hits..like, as in, right NOW.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2015, 11:27:25 PM »

must not hear songs until CD is released.....these positive comments aren't helping!

Hear, hear! It is so tough, though... this thread does make it so tempting...
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2015, 11:29:32 PM »

Listened to every sample once - every track is amazing. The ones that really got me were This Beautiful Day, Whatever Happened, Half Moon Bay, Tell Me Why, and Right Kind of Love (his voice sounds great)...but now I'm gonna refrain from listening any more until the album comes out.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2015, 11:35:34 PM »

This is how the album samples strike me now. When the Beach Boys reunited, Brian said he just wanted to record with the group from then on. He implied that he was done with a solo career.

On this album, I'll be damned if he doesn't follow through with that promise. This isn't an album about Brian Wilson, the solo artist. We've had those records, and they have been sometimes great, sometimes okay, but always a little self-conscious about his history and the group's discography.

No, this is an album about Brian Wilson, the writer and producer and singer, the man who always felt most comfortable writing for a congenial group of fellow musicians and vocalists. You can't do harmony without other voices, after all. These songs don't sound forced or self-consciously "solo." They sound like Brian Wilson songs, pure and unencumbered by expectation.

In other words, guys, Brian has made another Beach Boys album. It can't be called that, but that's what he's managed to do. And it's breathtaking to witness.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:50:01 PM by Wirestone » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2015, 11:45:30 PM »

^This. Well put.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2015, 11:54:34 PM »

Great to see all the positive comments here.

These samples aren't working in the UK. Don't suppose anybody has recordings that they're able to share please? Thanks in advance!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2015, 12:15:20 AM »

Wow. I'm at a loss for words. It's gonna be a long wait. Ugh. Smiley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2015, 12:31:26 AM »

Great to see all the positive comments here.

These samples aren't working in the UK. Don't suppose anybody has recordings that they're able to share please? Thanks in advance!

Agree with (all!) these sentiments.

Sounds like Brian Wilson Contemporary Artist has asserted himself. Thanks to all for all the comments. Quite tittilating.

“We live in divisive times.”
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2015, 01:01:42 AM »

Yeah I can't preview it  Undecided

Must be only in the US

I'm in Canada. But yeah I guess it's not available to preview in your country. I feel for you.

Someone on this board recommended a very good proxy plug-in for Firefox. Unfortunately a reboot of Firefox on my computer deleted it, I can't remember the name, can't find it on the net, and can't find the post on the board where it was recommended. Who knows the plug-in I'm looking for?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2015, 01:38:08 AM »

You don't need a proxy plugin, just a proxy site - google is full of them, but try http://www.uk-proxy.co.uk/ if you're in the UK, though sadly it doesn't work for the audio.

But if you use iTunes in the UK you can preview The Right Time.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 01:40:07 AM by brother john » Logged

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2015, 01:48:25 AM »

YouTube album preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_vj5u-CXkE

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2015, 02:01:43 AM »

I felt two years ago that the astrological alignments favored a new creative milestone in the arc of Brian Wilson’s career, and that the Gershwin and Disney albums, and then That’s Why God Made the Radio, might be analogous to the burst of creativity that produced Today and Summer Days on the road to Pet Sounds.

And so, tucked in the corner of my mind has been an anticipation of what was to come, with the expectation that it would be exceptional. Initial responses to No Pier Pressure seem to bear out the celestial prognostication. To take it a step further – Pet Sounds was followed by Smile. And so it seems we may be witnessing a creative flowering the end of which is nowhere in sight.

Here’s what I posted then:

"TUNING IN THE LATEST STAR
FROM THE DASHBOARD OF MY CAR..."

A revealing choice of words there. One might have expected the tuning in of a station or of a song but no, in 2012 we find Brian tuning into the stars.

And the timing could not be more appropriate as the aspects do indeed progress to mirror the alignment of the mid-sixties. And not just any point in the mid-sixties, but specifically October 65 thru June 66, which, as I am sure you all know coincides with the production of Pet Sounds, not to mention Rubber Soul, Revolver and Aftermath. Can I add Blonde on Blonde to the list, I forget its release date.

The Pluto-Uranus conjunction and synod in late Leo, and Saturn's opposition to it, contributed to the climax of the Vietnam war and the POP Flower Power uprising against it, heralding a major cultural transition for humanity.

Since the mid-1960s Uranus-Pluto synod, throughout the first quarter of the cycle, a 47-year period, this cultural-revolutionary theme has fully engaged society's creative process. Now, at the turning of the first square of the cycle…the mid-1960s theme will now shift into its next prominent quarter; the creative action quarter. How this plays out is of course yet to be seen. Activists and revolutionists may storm the global stage during this transition point in the cycle; and it may produce another principal shift in our societal revolution. It may also be much more progressive due to the placements of Uranus and Pluto…It may also stimulate dynamic radical action for those born in the mid-1960s—matured forces that must now "explode into space."

This square is of extreme significance for those with prominent Uranus and Pluto natal placements, and for those with aspects to key points and planets in their natal and progressed charts by transiting Uranus and Pluto. It is fundamentally significant for all of humanity due to Uranus and Pluto's astrophysical bio-resonances, and simply for all of Earth due to the fact that all life on Earth nests within the greater planetary and cosmic cycles that create the ever-changing evolutionary symphony in which we evolve.

The Uranus Pluto Synodic Square - 2012-2015

Our current Uranus-Pluto square can produce radical, spontaneous, destructive, crazy, even war-like behavior for the spiritually unaware reactive type of younger soul. For souls more mature, this square can stimulate the motivation to adapt quickly to radical change and to create innovative solutions to emerge from or to rise above destructive scenarios and emotional turmoil. It may stimulate the creation of new technologies and modalities of thought motivated from structural systems and societal modalities that simply no longer work.

To conclude: If Brian Wilson is in tune again as he was in 1966 we may be on the receiving end of a startling new musical revelation! 1965 (TWGMTR) was followed by Pet Sounds (No Pier Pressure).

Let's Hope So.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2015, 02:03:02 AM »

You don't need a proxy plugin, just a proxy site - google is full of them, but try http://www.uk-proxy.co.uk/ if you're in the UK, though sadly it doesn't work for the audio.

But if you use iTunes in the UK you can preview The Right Time.

I'm not in the UK, and what good does the proxy site do if it doesn't enable you to hear it?

I have a very good proxy plug-in which only works for youtube, without which I couldn't have watched this either. Thank you for trying to help, anyway. Smiley

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2015, 02:12:37 AM »

The Uranus Pluto Synodic Square - 2012-2015

I can't take this serious unless you take Eris, Haumea, Makemake, and Ceres into the equation.

Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2015, 03:52:36 AM »

Deleted.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 04:29:54 AM by JS1 » Logged

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx