gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 12:36:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 12-String Rickenbackers  (Read 1706 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2015, 07:20:35 AM »

I'm starting this mainly to ask about the merit of buying a 12 string Rickenbacker. I love the sound that those things make, and I'm interested in buying one. But they are rather expensive and it would be a while before I could afford one.

So I have a few questions for those of you with some experience specifically with 12 string Ricks, though I'd like anyone with some input on 12 string electric guitar to join in here.

My two main questions:
1: Rickenbackers are very expensive, especially so for me. I'm living in Hong Kong - the only guitar store that sells them charge over $4,000 USD for a 360, which is obviously outrageous. I'm hoping to find one on the lower side of $1,000 - $2,000, which is still a lot of money. So my first question is: are they worth it?
2: Is it easy to get the same chunky sound you hear on the records? I'm not big on replicating specific sounds, but so many of those 60's records that use a 12 string Rick just have such a thick, magical sound, and I'd like to know if that's consistent across all Ricks.

I could very easily post all of this on a proper guitar forum, but I'd much rather hear back from people who's opinions I already trust, like Guitarfool, who has previously responded with the exact answer I was looking for in regards to Danelectro basses.

Thanks for any info you guys can pass along.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 07:56:49 AM »

you could get a danelectro.
+ have  money left for another piece of gear...

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 08:00:24 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 08:49:14 AM »

you could get a danelectro.
+ have  money left for another piece of gear...

I probably would if I didn't already have a Dano 59-DC. And I would like to own one reeeaaal nice guitar.

I'd love to play a 12 string dano though. Probyn of the BW band plays them on stage.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 12:36:09 PM »

A friend of mine builds guitars, and he built a Rick copy for me. I'm very happy with it.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 03:53:10 AM »

There is a company called Cozart Guitars that makes ridiculously inexpensive copies of Fender and Gibson guitars. They do make electric 12 string guitars with both Strat and Tele bodies that can replicate the Rickenbacker sound of the Byrds and Hard Day's Night - the key is use the bridge pickup with liberal use of compression (the compression adds sustain which is key to the jangly 60's folk rock sound). I got my 12 string Cozart on EBay for less than 200 dollars and it is remarkably solid for a guitar that cheap.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx