gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:45:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson biography due September 29th  (Read 56776 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: October 28, 2015, 06:31:04 AM »

I would respectfully submit that if the aim was to write an "analysis" of a few specific facets of Carl's music ability/career rather than a biography, it actually undercuts the book by then including brief biographical bits that serve no other purpose than offering biographical details. For instance, the severely rushed ending could have or should have just been chopped off if this thing wasn't intended as a biography.

Which, as AGD mentioned, leads me to the conclusion that this most certainly was intended as a biography. To his credit, I haven't seen Mr. Crowley contend he wasn't trying to do a biography. I appreciated his posts earlier in the thread, where his comments did make sense. It sounds like he would have liked more time to work on the book, and would have liked more interview subjects to be more forthcoming about Carl, and/or more forthcoming in general.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
bb4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 28, 2015, 08:52:06 AM »

I am beginning to think the only person who could write an actual biography about Carl Wilson is someone in his inner circle of friends like Billy Hinsche, Jerry Schilling, or Gerry Beckley.  Otherwise it would be left to someone who is trying to ask questions of friends and family, who don't seem to be very forthcoming in divulging private details of his life.  Mr. Crowley's book was more a biography of his musicianship.  And while it did give me a newfound appreciation for his skills as a musician, I really, really want info on him as a person.  How were his relationships with his brothers and bandmates through the years?  Why did he and Annie divorce and did they remain friends?  Who helped him get past his dalliance with drugs?  Did he and Brian mend fences after the book Brian wrote?  Was he cognizant of just how majestic his voice was? Did he ever feel resentful that his brothers seemed to garner the bulk of the attention? etc., etc.

I'm still hoping.....
Carl Forever
Smiley Smile Associate

yabba dabba do

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 28, 2015, 03:18:50 PM »

Im buying carls BIO for sure! Did you see ESQ is having a BIG giveaway, Carl is one of the half dozen giveaways, they are having a Carl, Brian, Dennis,Al and wrecking crew prize packages. No entry needed, all those with paid subscriptions are entered, here is the Carl one: https://www.facebook.com/ESQ.Editor/photos/pcb.10153629932757487/10153629930047487/?type=3&theater
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 28, 2015, 10:30:14 PM »

Im buying carls BIO for sure! Did you see ESQ is having a BIG giveaway, Carl is one of the half dozen giveaways, they are having a Carl, Brian, Dennis,Al and wrecking crew prize packages. No entry needed, all those with paid subscriptions are entered, here is the Carl one: https://www.facebook.com/ESQ.Editor/photos/pcb.10153629932757487/10153629930047487/?type=3&theater
I've got the book on hold through my library.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: November 20, 2015, 10:51:51 AM »

I got the book today. Don't know when I will have time to read it , though. I just took a look at the first pages and one thing caught my eye. Sorry if it was already mentioned.

It says Jerry Schilling was the only guy of Elvis' Memphis Mafia that the Colonel couldn't fire. Well, fact is that the Colonel couldn't fire any of the members even if he'd wanted to. The guys were Elvis' friends, bodyguards and personal assistants. The only one who could fire or hire was Elvis (or by proxy as it happened Elvis' father). Parker didn't have anything to do with Elvis' private life but was only there for doing the business side. And also in business decisions he couldn't do anything without Elvis' approve.

I know it's not a big thing for the book because that is about Carl and the Beach Boys. Just wanted to add in case someone might be interested.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 21, 2015, 03:05:55 PM »

So what exactly is the story on Shilling ? Most of the rest of the Memphis Mafia were ,in my opinion, enabling bloodsuckers. Was he different? Was he good for the Boys and as Carl's manager ?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 21, 2015, 09:53:50 PM »

So what exactly is the story on Shilling ? Most of the rest of the Memphis Mafia were ,in my opinion, enabling bloodsuckers. Was he different? Was he good for the Boys and as Carl's manager ?
I've read his book 'Me and a Guy Named Elvis", and he seems like a decent guy - probably the only guy in the MM to have an ounce of integrity. He says Elvis was the best friend he ever had; I think, after Elvis died, Carl became his best friend. He said Carl helped him through the grieving process.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 22, 2015, 03:40:27 AM »

He met Elvis in the 1950s and went to work for him in 1964.  Started working with the bbs shortly before Elvis' death
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: November 22, 2015, 04:50:23 AM »

Schilling did the right thing, which means he made sure that he got work on his own strength and not as a protege of Elvis Presley. He only started working for Elvis very late (in comparison, and remembering that he knew Elvis from right when he made his first record).
I think the only other mafioso who really got quite successful was Red West who became an actor. Schilling was not only managing Carl and then the Beach Boys but also Jerry Lee Lewis. And he seems to be a very nice guy although he tends (probably understandably) imo to promote the sterile superheroe-like, whitewashed picture of Elvis that EPE likes to see.
BTW I don't think the other mafiosi were bloodsuckers. Elvis wanted them around him, he liked them, they were his friends. Not that I would like them or want them around me. But everyone can choose his friends. And I'm pretty sure that Elvis was smart enough to realize if someone was just there for the party.

BTW thanks to Ed Roach, this picture was taken in Elvis' plane:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 22, 2015, 11:31:49 AM »

Schilling did the right thing, which means he made sure that he got work on his own strength and not as a protege of Elvis Presley. He only started working for Elvis very late (in comparison, and remembering that he knew Elvis from right when he made his first record).
I think the only other mafioso who really got quite successful was Red West who became an actor. Schilling was not only managing Carl and then the Beach Boys but also Jerry Lee Lewis. And he seems to be a very nice guy although he tends (probably understandably) imo to promote the sterile superheroe-like, whitewashed picture of Elvis that EPE likes to see.
BTW I don't think the other mafiosi were bloodsuckers. Elvis wanted them around him, he liked them, they were his friends. Not that I would like them or want them around me. But everyone can choose his friends. And I'm pretty sure that Elvis was smart enough to realize if someone was just there for the party.

As I noted above, I have read Schilling's book, and I disagree that it was a white-washed portrait of Elvis. Jerry is quite open about his own struggles, as well as Elvis', without damming the man. Like any human being, Elvis Presley had his good and bad side. I think, in Elvis' case, the good outweighs the bad - but not everyone will agree with me.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: November 22, 2015, 02:52:37 PM »

As I noted above, I have read Schilling's book, and I disagree that it was a white-washed portrait of Elvis. Jerry is quite open about his own struggles, as well as Elvis', without damming the man. Like any human being, Elvis Presley had his good and bad side. I think, in Elvis' case, the good outweighs the bad - but not everyone will agree with me.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about his book but about the PR-stuff and interviews. And maybe "white-washed" wasn't the right term. I meant the way how every dump Elvis took is getting hailed as the greatest thing a man has ever made. It's not that heavy with Schilling but all that Graceland/EPE business goes into that direction and sometimes, just sometimes he's letting himself carry away with that a little too much imo.
But that's stuff for a Elvis discussion and this thread of course is about Kent Crowley's book on Carl.

- Jack Rieley
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 22, 2015, 03:06:39 PM »

My experience was that Jerry Schilling was a genuinely nice human being.  Given that, he probably wasn't inclined to trash the people whom he loved.  Telling the truth about someone -  in context - can work if it's done with care.  It's just hard to get across to people in a world that is just waiting to jump on any public figure's seeming failings.  So the context and the care are hard to convey.  At worst, I suspect he was just careful about what he said, given that reality. 

I only had one brief conversation with him about Elvis and he was quite forthright and said it in a loving context.  How to get that across in writing is a real bi*ch.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx