gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 03:39:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson biography due September 29th  (Read 57047 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: February 08, 2015, 11:24:44 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Promised-Road-Wilson-Biography/dp/1908279842/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423419587&sr=8-1&keywords=long+promised+road

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 11:32:53 AM »

Wow! That was unexpected!

"No life in popular music touched on as many major musical milestones as that of The Beach Boys' Carl Wilson. While he is often unjustly overlooked as a mere adjunct to his more famous brothers Brian and Dennis, Carl was a major international rock star from his early teens.

The proud owner of one of the greatest voices in popular music--one that graced some of the most important records of the pop era, including 'God Only Knows' and 'Good Vibrations'--Wilson was also one of the first musicians to bring the electric guitar to the forefront of rock'n'roll. His musical skills provided The Beach Boys' entree into the music business, from which he then stewarded their onstage journey through the ups and downs of the 60s to their comeback in the 70s and into the role of 'America's band' in the 80s. Along the way, Carl quietly endured his own battles with obesity, divorce, substance abuse, and ultimately terminal cancer, all the while working to protect his family's business and legacy. This major new biography reveals the true story of modern rock'n'roll, lived from the center of the most important decades of popular music."
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:36:11 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 11:38:17 AM »

Now if Bruce would publish one too, the cycle would be complete.

Has Carl been given the biography treatment before? If not, it's nice hes finally been given the honor along with his brothers.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 11:59:04 AM »

OK, picking jaw up off the floor. I hope Crowley treats Carl fairly.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 12:05:51 PM »

Awesome! I have been waiting for something like this! I loved the dvd that Bill Hinche did as well. There just isn't enough info on Carl! We even got a book about David Marks before him for crying out loud! Which is awesome, don't get me wrong. But the two stories I can't wait for are Carl's and Mike's!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 12:47:05 PM »

this will be interesting......I wonder what sources are used.....interviews? family?

or just a rehash of info that most BB fans already know.....  interesting indeed.

RickB
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »

I Wrote the Songs, Now I Adjust the Mic: The Memoirs of Bruce Johnston

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 01:06:47 PM »

Is there going to be much new for Mike to cover in the battle of the bio's?
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 01:10:11 PM »

Fantastic!! I'm more excited about this than Brian's and Mike's (although I'm excited about those too).
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 01:15:09 PM »

I Wrote the Songs, Now I Adjust the Mic: The Memoirs of Bruce Johnston

LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 01:28:03 PM »

Fantastic!! I'm more excited about this than Brian's and Mike's (although I'm excited about those too).

Me too! Let's hope the sources of info are those who knew him best.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 01:45:03 PM »

Awesome! I have been waiting for something like this! I loved the dvd that Bill Hinche did as well. There just isn't enough info on Carl! We even got a book about David Marks before him for crying out loud! Which is awesome, don't get me wrong. But the two stories I can't wait for are Carl's and Mike's!
Yes, Billy Hinsche's dvd is won-won-wonderful, really warm, personal insights into the man. If this book has similar effort put into it, it will be a must read.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 02:06:07 PM »

Honestly, his is the one I'm most looking forward to. Just because he's always seen as the bad guy, which is justified in some situations but not others. I want to see his contrarian view of the band's story. I want to see if he'll redeem himself in the 11th hour or release the same tired old self-congratulations and talking points and waste this final opportunity.

Ironically, the one I'm least interested in is Brian's.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 02:12:12 PM »

I am so happy to see this coming out. It's about time and way over due. I am impressed that it is 288 pages. So, hopefully not all fluff. Great over pic, as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 02:20:04 PM »

The cover is really nice. I might get it.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 02:24:26 PM »

Crowley's previous book seems to have good reviews. Looking forward to this one.

Still no "I am Brian Wilson" in the U.S. Amazon store but it did turn up a unauthorized Justin Beiber bio!  LOL
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 02:35:02 PM »

Honestly, his is the one I'm most looking forward to. Just because he's always seen as the bad guy, which is justified in some situations but not others. I want to see his contrarian view of the band's story. I want to see if he'll redeem himself in the 11th hour or release the same tired old self-congratulations and talking points and waste this final opportunity.

Agree on the Brian bio. Rightly or wrongly we were stiffed with 'WIBN My Story' so to have another 'authorized' book seems double dipping to me. Carl's, as has been said, will depend on the sources. Will Brian and Mike offer anything with their own books coming out? I kind of doubt it.
Mike's will be kind of be the last stop and potentially under the radar by 2016. Who knows, if they survive Brians book and movie this year a PS/GV 50 reunion of some kind may cause some interest, but unfortunately I fear Mikes 'Good Vibrations' book will show 50 years of anything but.

For me I still like the Dave Marks bio mainly because his story was less known.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 02:36:14 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 02:43:32 PM »

Agree on the Brian bio. Rightly or wrongly we were stiffed with 'WIBN My Story' so to have another 'authorized' book seems double dipping to me. Carl's, as has been said, will depend on the sources. Will Brian and Mike offer anything with their own books coming out? I kind of doubt it.
Mike's will be kind of be the last stop and potentially under the radar by 2016. Who knows, if they survive Brians book and movie this year a PS/GV 50 reunion of some kind may cause some interest, but unfortunately I fear Mikes 'Good Vibrations' book will show 50 years of anything but.

WIBN really doesnt count.

I just think Brian is mostly unwilling or unable to discuss anything from the past in any substantial way. Also, the things that are the most interesting and least talked about are the ones he seems least willing to acknowledge in any way. If things like SMiLE, Smiley, Adult/Child are even mentioned in his book, I think it'll only be in vague terms that offers no insight that we fans dont already no. I'll purchase it and give it a chance, but I'm really not expecting much. Something similar to Grace Slick's bio is what I'm expecting. She completely skips over her first marriage and first band, while only devoting one page each to Monterey/Woodstock/Altamont. All the things I was most interested in hearing about. I expect something similar with Brian's book, but I really hope I'm wrong.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
halblaineisgood
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 02:46:07 PM »

It's got good Dennis stories, that's for sure. Green c*ck, The bunsen burner fire of 196? , etc .

Edit: and good David- gumming his entire stash of acid when the cops bust him trying to visit the beatles - stories.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 02:50:53 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 02:46:20 PM »

Kent Crowley. Any relation to James Crowley in the U.K.?

Really looking forward to this one! Carl needs to be represented! Hope the author is talking at length with Billy Hinsche and the wives and sons for accuracy!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2015, 03:14:00 PM »

WOW!!!  Coulda knocked me over with a feather when saw this thread.  Finally, a bio of the great Carl Wilson – the man I've idolized my entire life (and I'm just four years younger than Carl).

I, like several other posters, can only hope this is a "real" biography, one that's been carefully researched, and is accurate, insightful and fluff free.  I'm ready to pre-order my copy today, and I'll hope for the best.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2015, 03:14:04 PM »

Kent Crowley. Any relation to James Crowley in the U.K.?

Really looking forward to this one! Carl needs to be represented! Hope the author is talking at length with Billy Hinsche and the wives and sons for accuracy!

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this as well.  

Don't know about any relation of James Crowley, but Kent Crowley's previous book was "Surf Beat: Rock 'n' Roll's Forgotten Revolution".

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 03:35:17 PM »

Very interesting! Will definately pick this up.

Don't know that earlier book either (Surf Beat) - anyone here who has read that one or other books by Crowley? If so, what is your impression of him as a writer?

lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2015, 04:10:31 PM »

It's a shame it has taken this long to get a CW bio but I'm glad we're finally getting one.
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2015, 04:32:50 PM »

Hope it'll be as good as the Carlin bio or the Harry Nilsson one.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx